Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
** A Founder's and TORnsib Friendship Thread

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 1:57am

Post #1 of 21 (1024 views)
Shortcut
** A Founder's and TORnsib Friendship Thread Can't Post

Welcome everyone

Kelvarhin and i would like to bring up a certain aspect of life here on TORn. It is the flowering of friendships from the myriad posts and occasional Moot. We hear of personal growth, of help in all regards given and received many times. The way we see it Tolkien is a beacon to a rather special kind of person. Although we come from all walks of life and have quite distinct personalities we all are profoundly reached deep down inside by an essence that has touched the heart, soul and mind. It is a dynamic that can be pursued with abandon until lifes end. I believe all who come into this Lothlorien or Rivendell if you wish, have found themselves changed in some way, and have added depth to their being.

Perhaps this little poem would help touch what I am trying to say:

The world stands out on either side
No wider than the heart is wide;
Above the world is stretched the sky
No higher than the soul is high.

........Edna St. Vincent Millay

So, just as this day has brought us this grand celebration (which is far from over you understand) from the simplest suggestions in the beginning, so did this House of TORn as Xoanon formed the rudimentaries of a website. And then with the addition of Tehanu, Corvar and Calisuri, these four proceeded out of love to envelope those aspects I mentioned above came to sow seeds unknowingly in very fertile ground. Their creation has, like the Mallorn has roots that have grown deep, and which has a tall and wide flowering crown which grows still to the amazement of all. So to them I dedicate this poem to them with joy, attempting to show them from two humble hearts, Kel and i what they have done. And of course to all TORnsibs too that abide here.
J.R.R. Tolkien
There is one by name of Tolkien
With his heart, the world he adorned.
A spirit, the likes, never has been.
Profound meaning alone, summoned by call of horn.
In Middle-earth all brought together as one kin
Under a humble ranger known as Aragorn.

Present also is a place called TORn,
The grand and the beautiful dwell here.
Here our hearts, on our sleeves are worn.
To abide in trust, to laugh, and perhaps shed a tear.
Even to awake and gather in early morn,
Never knowing what act of brilliance and love may appear.

For residing throughout are people most dear.
Revealing a humanity as light in the wood,
Likened to Rivendell, Lothlorien, the shire and Mirrormere.
Only here, from depth of feeling could,
Realize the breadth of this one we revere.
Here beauty, grace, love, transcendence is understood.

It is because there resides a vigil within
Creating a place free from hate and from fear.
It is our founders and our dunedain, the rangers, our admin,
Present each night and day, each hour of the year.
Never before has such a presence been.
We love them, true hearts, they are always near.

........silneldor

Now to proceed further on the Tornsib tribute and this house I would like to give you some things I found in the littlest of books which can be held in the palm of the hand. My wife found a number of them which she sets in the bathroom for those wonderful moments of esoteric, ethereal contemplation.
At the core of the human experience is friendship. It is the essence of what it is to be alive-of happiness and sadness, of excitement and relaxation, of music, and of silence. Friends show us who we are and who we can be, where weve been, and where were going.
........ Poems of Friendship

Concepts of home:

There is a magic in that little word-
It is a mystic circle that,
Surrounds comforts and virtues
Never known beyond its hallowed limits.

........Robert Southey

A home is not a mere transient shelter:
Its essence lies in its permanence, in its
capacity for accretion and solidification,
In its quality of representing, in all its
detail, the personalities of the people
who live in it.

........H.L. Mencken

Our house was not unsentient matter-
It had a heart and a soul, and eyes to see with;
And approvals and solicitudes and deep sympathies;
it was us, and we were in its confidence and lived
in its grace and peace in its benedictions.
We never came home from an absence that its face
did not light up and speak out in eloquent welcome-
and we could not enter it unmoved.

........Mark Twain

So with the thoughts and feelings above we have come around to ask you personally what you may say to our Grand Founders. What does it mean to you as to all they have given us?

Also what have you found here that brings you to dwell by the fires of this house fellow TORnsib?

We are very grateful for our Founder's for their love, insight and hard work.

We must also say the same for all that lie in the ranks behind the scenes. There is no question that this place is one of a kind in so many beautiful ways. We have tried in our own ways, and Kelvarhin and I will forever be in your debt for your giving.

I have learned so much, and from my meek and my self-questioning and doubting beginnings, times of insecurities wondering if I could ever be worthy, have come by way of so many supportive and caring people to believe in myself, trust in my heart and to share what I could. I have found, that within the depth of these halls are so many wonderful souls that have come be true and trusting friends. That is because I feel, we have been profoundly touched by the soul of a man illuminated by four hobbits and a fellowship deeply bound by love and trust.

I am aware that newbies here might find it hard to reply here. Say hello as you may. If not, let this serve as an inkling as to the journey you are about to begin.

So, what say youSmile?

Le hannon a tholel

Aa' menealle nauva calen ar' malta

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manw let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manw Slimo

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 25 2009, 3:32pm)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 25 2009, 5:48am

Post #2 of 21 (556 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

You said it very well, Sil and Kel! Better than I could.

What I appreciate most here is not only the possibility to talk about all things Tolkien, but to talk to all these people from so many different social or religious backgrounds from all over the world. The way how we get along so well here just makes me wish the world outside of TORn would be equally sensible and welcoming to people from other countries, instead of starting wars. This site is doing a lot for international understanding on a small scale.

And the friendships that are building here, the way people are caring about each other, are there for everyone who has problems, that is all very special. The Founders have given us much more than a place to talk about Tolkien, they gave us a place to find good friends - and that is even more important. I am very thankful to them for founding this website and for keeping it running - and to all these TORnsibs who make this place so special.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 5:49am

Post #3 of 21 (535 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Poetry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sil, can we clone you? The world could use, oh about a hundred thousand or more souls like you.

What great thoughts on home and friendship! I do think of this place as a home, in a lot of ways -- a place I always feel welcome, and where there is much tolerance and a healthy appreciation for what everyone brings to the table. I think it's a place JRRT would not find to be "deplorable" in the least, and like the way GDT pops up every so often, I would think Tolkien would find it enjoyable to debate with the folks here, particularly in our wonderful Reading Room.

I've felt for a long time, though, that what happens here is not only enjoyable and enriching, but important in some way. The world could certainly use more places like this, that bring people together, not drive us apart, and where there's a pretty high value on dealing with differences in a respectful way. I've learned a lot here about how to value, rather than argue or reject, viewpoints that are opposite of my own. (See what a few years of movie board debates will do for you?) Maybe what we do here is offset some of the awful stuff that happens other places. At least I like to think so.

I also know that this kind of thing does not happen by chance, that it has to be based on something that gives it the opportunity to develop. Certainly, Tolkien's tale as the uniting interest of everyone, has much to do with that. But I think it also must come from the people who founded this place. I don't know any of them, but I can tell you what I have to know about them.

First, providing a forum where people could talk about Tolkien, and process the impact the films would have -- rather than trying to profit from it -- is something I admire. Also, until we started talking about TORn's 10th anniversary, I am not sure that all that many folks who hang out here even knew who founded the place, and certainly few of us understand what they do to keep it going. And so I'm impressed by the lack of grandstanding, too -- they simply let us enjoy ourselves, and do what they can to keep us happy. That's very decent, don't you think?

I also think a place can't be welcoming unless someone "in charge" sets that tone -- there's not a lot of micromanaging, and unless we're going to crash the boards or something, there's much openness to what we all bring to the place. I like that too.

For me, in terms of why I'm here at this party, well, I'd say I came here to talk about the films, but what I've gained is a lot of knowledge about Tolkien, about film making, about New Zealand, about Viggo (!), about expressing myself, about technology, and about people. Like everyone else here, I've had ups and downs in RL in my time here -- businesses that lost money, buildings that burnt down, family challenges, the things that come from getting older and hopefully wiser in life. If you would have told me when I wandered in here that a Fiesta would help me deal with some tough times in my life, or that an essentially shy person like me would end up being a virtual bartender, or that I'd find friends in time of need here, I would have really wondered about you! But that's what's happened. And that's what keeps me here. Hopefully, I've done my part to give back a bit for all I've gained.

So, thanks Founders, thanks Sil (and Kel) for giving us a thread like this to get all mushy, and thanks all of you!

Weaver

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 25 2009, 5:56am

Post #4 of 21 (557 views)
Shortcut
My two cents [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only Friday night, but I have already read so much, so many beautiful things, that I am already misty-eyed and by Sunday I may need the whole box of Kleenex.UnsureEvil

I can add little more to this beautiful post than one of my favorite quotes--it's from the chapter "On Giving" from Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet"--a book I have read often and quoted much this year. It evokes best for me the spirit of which this wonderful place was born and continues to be.

"There are those who have little and give it all.
These are the believers in life and the bounty of life, and their coffer is never empty.
There are those who give with joy, and that joy is their reward.
And there are those who give with pain, and that pain is their baptism.
And there are those who give and know not pain in giving, nor do they seek joy,
Not give with mindfulness of virtue;
They give as in yonder valley the myrtle'
Breathes its fragrance into space.
Through the hands of these God speaks,
And from behind their eyes He smiles upon the earth."

Thank you to TPTB--you never could have forseen that the little site you founded would be such a blessing in peoples' lives. And it continues to be so, and now the adventure is beginning again--and long may it continue to be. To those who give, much has been and will be given.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 2:06pm

Post #5 of 21 (577 views)
Shortcut
That is so beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the little links that lead to unexpected surprise images from the movies. Especially the hobbit children clapping :-)

Sil, your poem is so perfect!

I said much of what I could have said here in the previous thread. This place has been a lifeline to me sometimes, when the world around me was scary and I needed friends to hold my hand. Somehow the virtual hand-holding and hugs I get are every bit as real as the physical touch of my own family. And when I see something beautiful, like sunlight on the mountains, or the Evening Star dancing with the Moon, my first instinct is to share it with Uncle Baggins, but my second instinct is to bring it here.

It's so amazing being with a community of people who "get it" when someone makes a reference to Tolkien's works. This is a place where a person filling out a profile knows exactly what is meant by the question "elves and dragons or cabbages and taters?", where a pants thread is understood by all.

Well, it's time for me to go post my "official" anniversary arena salvo, so I'll be off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 2:21pm

Post #6 of 21 (581 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! Thank you, sil! [In reply to] Can't Post

If I didn't have to rush out the door in the next few moments I'd say more -- probably too much more, really. Suffice it to say right now that I'm so happy to have this place to come to, where people have worked hard to form a community, where there's peace and beauty instead of bitterness and bile, where I'm reminded that there is goodness in this world, Mr. Frodo, after all.

Cheers!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 2:43pm

Post #7 of 21 (567 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for putting it so beautifully sil [In reply to] Can't Post

You're much better with words than I could ever be.

I'm so glad our Founders created this home of ours. It's provided friendship, a shoulder to cry on and good company to laugh with.

I know so few people in RL who share my love of Tolkien, even my mother who introduced me to his world isn't as big a fan. I'm so grateful to have a place where I can go and be as geeky as I like, where I can make quotes of "what's taters precioussss" and have others know exactly what I'm on about.

So thank you Xoanon, Tehanu, Calisuri and Corvar, for creating our wonderful home. And thank you to all my sibs for making me so welcome here.

*hugs & love*

Kelvarhin x

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 6:29pm

Post #8 of 21 (553 views)
Shortcut
Oh, gosh, sil... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll never think of the words "Home Page" in the same way again! What wonderful sentiments of fellowship and friendship - and your poem expresses so well why we come here...and what we give...and what we find.

(You know that I've told you many times, what weaver said above: the world needs more people like you! Smile)

What does TORn mean to me? It is where I first realized the vast scope of Tolkien fans; and I found myself reading incredibly intelligent writings, enjoying amazing Tolkien-related humor and artwork, and understanding the fervor of his fandom. This was no simple "fansite" - it was a community, and those who had established it had the wisdom of the Eldar!

And why keep coming back? To say "to enjoy the company of people with a common interest" just falls way short of the mark. This is the most marvelous fellowship of amazingly talented, insightful, witty, and caring Tolkien admirers! We've laughed together through joyful times and held each other up through sad times. And there is a language - the language which Tolkien taught us - which each of us can "speak", knowing that we will be understood.

{{many hugs}} to Xo, Tehanu, Corvar, and Calisuri for taking the bold step of establishing TORn; and {{lotsa hugs}} to you, my friend, and to Kel!

Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 11:05pm

Post #9 of 21 (488 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful, sil. Thank you. // [In reply to] Can't Post

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 11:07pm

Post #10 of 21 (569 views)
Shortcut
Relative newbie here [In reply to] Can't Post

I am amazed at who many genuine notes of friendship have been extended, both on and behind the boards (uh not quite like it sounds). There is such a good and respectful vibe here, all of which can be traced to the creators (PTBs), admins, mods, sr. staffers, and venerable (in terms of post count) members among us. As I have said many times before, this is the nicest place to spend time at on the net.

Congratulations and may the years ahead be blessed.

SirD

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 3:56am

Post #11 of 21 (572 views)
Shortcut
Oh my..... how beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

As I read, I felt my shoulders relax and my breathing slow. You've expressed so beautifully how I feel when I'm here... and with poetry, too :D Well done!

Home is where the heart is... and TORn fills my heart all the time. What does it mean to me? I'm picking a bad time to try an express it as I've been so distracted and busy and it's late at night for me ;) But I have found more acceptance, encouragement, creativity and joy here than any other time in my life. Short of my children and grandchildren, I have had the best times of my life because of TheOneRing.net.

Through all of my years, I felt that I was going to experience something special. I'm not just saying this for conversation's sake. The years since I left home at 18 were not easy; but finding Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings at 19 truly did become a lifeline for me. I escaped into that world and those characters, and they carried me then as they do now. I knew deep inside that I'd someday feel creative and free again... and that's what TORn has given to me. I've traveled, made life-long friends, re-aquainted myself with the love for art and writing that I'd long put aside. I am a part of a community that I feel so much pride for. Quality is the best world for you all... just as Sam put it. And it does shine through.

Something special would come along. And because of Tolkien... along came TORn. Because of Xoanon, Calisuri, Corvar and Tehanu's creativity and fortitude, I've found a place where I can be myself and embrace my love for Tolkien. My life will never be the same again.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 4:18am

Post #12 of 21 (518 views)
Shortcut
Sil [In reply to] Can't Post

has been a wonderful sib! To me, and I'm sure many others.

Gramma, friendship is the greatest gift we can give each other. Your story resonates with truth and love. Well done to you as well.

Tehanu
PTB

Apr 26 2009, 7:22am

Post #13 of 21 (525 views)
Shortcut
Sil, you made me cry... [In reply to] Can't Post

In a good way. This is a beautiful thread. I loved the poem you wrote, the poems you picked (I didn't know Mark Twain's non-humorous side, what a revelation. Love that one) and I'm so moved by the responses other Tornsibs have written to your post. Thank you so much for everything you've done in this wonderful community.

calisuri
PTB

Apr 26 2009, 11:54am

Post #14 of 21 (491 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Sil, for one of the most inspiring and thoughtful posts I have read. And look, you made Tehanu cry!!

The Mysterious Calisuri

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 3:17pm

Post #15 of 21 (521 views)
Shortcut
Actually i [In reply to] Can't Post

am not fairing that well either. I am overwhelmed by you both, from your emotions and praise. I am deeply honored. What i wrote is but a reflection of what blossomed from your hands. Thank you:).

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

Elven
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 6:52pm

Post #16 of 21 (537 views)
Shortcut
This is truely wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

No hoard of dragon treasure, nor golden ring is as near as beautiful as this post and poetry!
Thankyou Sil and Kel.
WoW you guys have touched a heart string Heart
Blessings
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wont write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 8:23pm

Post #17 of 21 (511 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not sure how to profess completely how much this website has been a part of my last few years- how it had some play in my growing up.... so I'll keep it simple.

Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 11:16pm

Post #18 of 21 (450 views)
Shortcut
My Lady [In reply to] Can't Post

May i offer you a gift of the season?

Breath of spring

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 27 2009, 12:42am

Post #19 of 21 (495 views)
Shortcut
Mid pleasures and palaces, though we may roam [In reply to] Can't Post

Be it ever so humble there's no place like home!
A charm from the skies seems to hallow us there,
Which, seek through the world, is ne'er met with elsewhere.

What say I? Well. I can't improve on your words, sil. I believe you said it all!

Heart

But my thanks to The Founders (who had the vision) and The Staff (who keep the place in order) and The People Of Torn, who have become real friends over the years. Even when I'm away for awhile, I still always return and I know there's always a home for me somewhere on the internet.

a.s. hugs all and sundry

"an seileachan"

God is eternal, without beginning or end. Don't worry too much about tomorrow. God is already there.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2009, 5:39pm

Post #20 of 21 (471 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, PTB! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is where I found my husband, some of my very best friends, and a place that has brought me joy on a daily basis, on and off, for nine years. Thank you for allowing this to happen.

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Lossefalme
Gondor

May 3 2009, 5:17am

Post #21 of 21 (597 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Sil. Now you've done it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a crying, sniffling mess, but in the absolute best of ways. That was truly lovely. You are such a spectacular person. I am so blessed to know you. Thank you for this. It beautifully says what I so inadequately (not to mention inelegantly), try to express around my TORniversary.

This is a magical place with very real and wonderful people. My life has been enriched by TORn; by the people here that I may never meet yet share a common bond and friendship with, and by the people that I have been so unbelievably fortunate to meet with, with whom I share and even closer bond. We're so lucky to have TORn and each other!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.