Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
** Just a few more hours to take advantage of the Special Offering from Peter S. Beagle in honor of TORn's 10th Anniversary!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 1:28am

Post #1 of 16 (1306 views)
Shortcut
** Just a few more hours to take advantage of the Special Offering from Peter S. Beagle in honor of TORn's 10th Anniversary! Can't Post

In addition to being a world renowned author, Peter S. Beagle wrote the screenplay for the 1978 animated LORD OF THE RINGS, directed by Ralph Bakshi. Conlan Press has acquired what Warner Brothers insists is the *very last* available DVD stock of the movie. There are exactly 573 copies in this stash, and according to the distributor there are no current plans to re-release the title.

The normal Conlan Press price for a personalized signed copy of this DVD would be $30. To celebrate TORN's anniversary, however, they are dropping the price to $20 from now through midnight (Pacific time) this Sunday, April 29th. If you want to get one before the price goes back up, go to www.conlanpress.com, click on the bright blue ORDER button at the left of the screen, and scroll down to select this special title. Please note: more than half the purchase price goes directly to benefit Peter.

Thank you Peter, and Connor at Conlan Press, for this very special offer!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 27 2009, 12:26am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 1:50am

Post #2 of 16 (683 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Need to check it out - thanks to Peter S. Beagle and Conlan Press!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

squire
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 2:01am

Post #3 of 16 (677 views)
Shortcut
Done [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that.

I remember Peter Beagle as the writer of the Preface to the 1966 paperback of The Lord of the Rings. He talked about the underground fraternity of those who knew about LotR in the 1950s, before the paperback made it a mass phenomenon - how you'd be at a boring party, and suddenly have spent hours with a newfound friend, talking about the Bridge of Khazad-dum. I loved that image. He talked about how those who know Middle-earth want to live there ("I would - like a shot.") His closing is classic sixties:

"He (Tolkien) is a great enough magician to tap our most common nightmares, daydreams and twilight fancies, but he never invented them either: he found them a place to live, a green alternative to each day's madness here in a poisoned world. We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers -- thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 3:12am

Post #4 of 16 (658 views)
Shortcut
well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't actually even seen this movie but I just ordered one. Maybe I'm just in a festive move. Mostly I was motivated by wanting a chance to see it and to honor Peter's work and his generous offer.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 3:16am

Post #5 of 16 (694 views)
Shortcut
The perfect party present! [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed out on ordering in the past, so glad they made the offer again. I decided to get one to give to my husband to give me for a gift!

Thanks!

Weaver

Elven
Valinor

Apr 25 2009, 3:16am

Post #6 of 16 (675 views)
Shortcut
It is just as applicable today [In reply to] Can't Post

as it was yesterday ...

Thanks for that squire!
And thankyou to thos who made the offer possible to us on our Anniversary Smile

off to the website Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 3:20am

Post #7 of 16 (680 views)
Shortcut
Hey that's a good idea [In reply to] Can't Post

weaver, Mother's Day is coming up here Cool

*heads off to talk to Mr Kel*

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 3:26am

Post #8 of 16 (678 views)
Shortcut
Even better! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll ask him to give me mine for Mother's Day, too -- and then you and I can get our annual family pictures taken holding our copies!

(My kids just love their geeky mom....well, sometimes!)

Weaver

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 5:54am

Post #9 of 16 (685 views)
Shortcut
He said yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

We better set up those photo shoots Sly

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Apr 25 2009, 4:37pm

Post #10 of 16 (621 views)
Shortcut
So ordered :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Nuradar
Rohan

Apr 25 2009, 5:16pm

Post #11 of 16 (635 views)
Shortcut
That's a pretty sweet offer [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Altaira, and thanks to Peter and Connor for such a nice offer. I've never seen the Ralph Bakshi version, so it would be nice to view it for the first time with my very own copy.

Nuradar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2009, 12:11am

Post #12 of 16 (635 views)
Shortcut
What a perfect tribute to his LotR and our 10th! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bakshi and Beagle's adaptation of The Lord of the Rings was such a treat for me when it came out at the theatres. It was an island during many years of very little available to us. The book was enough, but this film, for me, was riviting. It'll always be very special to me for that reason :)

This is GREAT! Thank you Mr. Beagle! I'm thrilled!!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

_V_
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 1:06am

Post #13 of 16 (662 views)
Shortcut
well I do own a copy [In reply to] Can't Post

on blind luck, I found a copy in a bargain bin when ROTK was coming out

to be honest, I really didn't like it

but I kind of hung onto it

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2009, 2:23am

Post #14 of 16 (620 views)
Shortcut
A very nice man [In reply to] Can't Post

And I never had any problems with the SCRIPT of the animated LOTR just the horrible animation.

I had Peter sign Last Unicorn at ORC one and my copy of the LOTR animated version at the second.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 4:05am

Post #15 of 16 (600 views)
Shortcut
oh boy! [In reply to] Can't Post

orders

It had its flaws (the animation, not the script), but my main complaint was that they never finished it!

To change how we see things takes falling in love. Then the same becomes altogther different. Like love, a shift of sight can be redemptive. - James Hillman
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Apr 26 2009, 4:51am

Post #16 of 16 (634 views)
Shortcut
Lucky you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found my copy at a used book store on the Square last year. I did a happy dance right there in the store, too. (It would have embarrassed my kids if they had not become so accustomed to my dancing in public like that. Blush)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.