Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
** TORN 10th Anniversary Party - what's your favorite TORN memory?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: ** TORN 10th Anniversary Party - what's your favorite TORN memory?
Your first post on TORN
The first time you read the books
The first time you saw the movie(s)
Marquette Conference
The tree planting in Wellington
Our Platinum Chair at the Embassy Theatre in Welliington
Fellowship Oscar Party
Two Towers Oscar Party
ROTK Oscar Party
ORC I
ORC II
ELF
The Moot at ___________
The Map Project
The day I met ____________
The day I married ___________
The 10th Anniversary Party
The last day on the old message boards
The first day on the new message boards
The wedding of ____________
FIGWIT!!!!
Something else (tell us about it!)
View Results (35 votes)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 1:04am

Post #1 of 26 (869 views)
Shortcut
** TORN 10th Anniversary Party - what's your favorite TORN memory? Can't Post

Jazmine has started us thinking about the things that make TORN special, so here's your chance to vote on your favorite TORN event/memory. Vote now, but unfortunately you can't vote often. Tell us about your favorite TORN moment.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 1:29am

Post #2 of 26 (330 views)
Shortcut
I was going to say FIGWIT [In reply to] Can't Post

but then I remembered the "femine" thread, so I voted for "something else". Because that thread was really something else.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2009, 2:31am

Post #3 of 26 (284 views)
Shortcut
Books... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm such a newbie here that I don't have much to share otherwise......but I will say finding the site was pretty cool. There is a lot here that is memorable....GDT and PJ posting here also....

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 3:20am

Post #4 of 26 (304 views)
Shortcut
Since it was on the list: [In reply to] Can't Post

I chose 'first day on the new boards'. I don't relax in big groups easily. And i had lost 3 other Tolkien online homes and was wary of forming too much attachment. And... I get cranky easily so I always feel like I should keep a watch on myself. But the day the boards moved was a very happy day for me. I felt part of the group and at ease. I loved all the mystery leading up to the announcements and the echoing halls of the old boards for those of us who lingered a little.

But another very good day not on the list was the day Altaira's map was delivered. That was a very happy day too.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2009, 4:06am

Post #5 of 26 (260 views)
Shortcut
ORC I [In reply to] Can't Post

In late 2004 I had only recently de-lurked on the message boards when I caught wind of an upcoming convention in California called "The One Ring Celebration". At first I dismissed the idea of going as a pipe dream. After all, I live in the midwest and had a part-time job and three children aged 18 months to 6 years. But as more news came out about the convention and who and what would be happening there, I started to consider going. The plane ticket could be a Christmas present, I had enough personal days off available, grandmothers were available to help with childcare...I called these musings "waves of insanity". There was no way I would spend that much money on a geeky event for myself. But on the day that Elijah Wood was confirmed as a guest (making that a total of four hobbits, among the other esteemed visitors) I turned to Mr. FF and asked if he thought I should go. He said, "This would be the year to do it!" encouraging me in my geekiness as always.

So I went, and it was fabulous, and though I am terribly bashful I sought out TORn members whose posts I had read and I introduced myself to Cheshire Cat, Altaira, grammaboodawg, Tehanu, Roheryn, Revie, Quickbeam and others. I had three young roommates at the hotel whom I had never met in person until I stumbled in at 2 a.m. or so after a long flight from the frozen tundra of Madison. One of them, I'm sorry to say, got to the microphone for almost every Q&A with the actors to ask, "Boxers or briefs?" Also, I was summoned from an evening event by Quickbeam announcing that I should go to the front entrance because of a "medical emergency". I ran out as fast as I could in my formal dress to find two of my roommates throwing up rum and Coke on the steps. Thank you if you were one of the kind souls who followed me or happened to come upon my group and helped us. The Japanese girls in full hobbit regalia were very sweet.

My neighbor in the Wizard Circle seating traveled from Germany to attend ORC, which made me feel far less insane, and we got along great and attended many sessions and the party and concert together. We still exchange emails or cards at Christmas.

ORC was such a great adventure, a once-in-a-lifetime event for me, and I treasure the memories, stories, souveniers and pictures, and I love being able to say that I did it!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 4:07am

Post #6 of 26 (278 views)
Shortcut
Has to be the ROTK Oscar party. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mind-blowing on many levels: From standing on the corner of Hollywood and Highland outside the Kodak theatre, to the wall of gold glittering on the stage of the American Legion building when PJ et al held up their Oscars at once, and everything in between.

I had a blast.

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 4:33am

Post #7 of 26 (287 views)
Shortcut
Oh, can I pick three? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can never pick just one screencap either, well almost never, on the movie board...as I said recently -- don't ever take me to a buffet!

I remember my first post, and being shocked anyone welcomed me. I think it was Nimrodel, back in the day. I was really nervous! Took me weeks to do it and at least as long to figure out what to call myself!

A very sentimental memory though, is a personal thing -- my Dad passed away in the last few years, and when I returned back home from his funeral, and fired up my computer to get back into my old routine, there was a message from someone at TORn inviting me to throw my name in the hat for the Encyclopedia project. I was floored. Getting involved in that really helped me, and it was the kind of thing my Dad would have really been proud of me doing. And it led to doing lots more on these boards, and to getting to know the names behind the nicks, and opened up my eyes to a much more academic understanding of Tolkien. An amazing experience.

My favorite group memory, though, has to be the Map project. I've worked on a lot of projects, and always thought design by committee was doomed to failure -- until this effort. Not that there were not some really interesting challenges along the way. For awhile it was touch and go, until our very own Entmaiden here came in (like the wizard at the end of Sorcerer's apprentice) and stopped the whole project from drowning everyone! And then, it all came together really well. And thanks to a generous friend from here, I was able to get a map at a time when my company was not making any money and we were on hard times. So, yes, it was very much a best and worst of times experience, but mostly what I remember, was the best that it brought out in so many folks.

Thanks for getting the memory-machine going, Entmaiden. Nice Poll!

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 4:33am

Post #8 of 26 (260 views)
Shortcut
not just one but [In reply to] Can't Post

any and all of the times I have choked with laughter or been struck by an insight because of something someone posted here.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2009, 4:41am

Post #9 of 26 (267 views)
Shortcut
ORC II [In reply to] Can't Post

I had just turned 16 years old, and I was ridiculously nervous. I remember you, entmaiden, helping me out quite a bit and just, well, being very friendly. I met quite a few people those 3 days, and it was a wonderful 3 days... meeting new people, talking with everyone, listening to the actors and their funny stories, the blooper reel that we saw, and unexpectedly grabbing a prize in the art show. It is one of my best memories.

Radhruin
Rohan

Apr 25 2009, 5:55am

Post #10 of 26 (278 views)
Shortcut
The mini-moot at Lake Harriet [In reply to] Can't Post

last summer in Minneapolis is my vote. A last minute meeting (on my part) to see the Minneapolis Pops Orchestra along with the Gilbert and Sullivan Very Light Opera Company perform a concert version of Pirates of Penzance with hobbitlove, ordinary hobbit and Magpie was simply a delightful experience. Anyone I know would have thought I was crazy to 'just go hang out' with people I 'knew' on some strange forum. Ha ha, it was like I'd known them all along.

I have a few memories that will always mean something to me, including my first experience with TORn (I think it was a Ringers Review after Fellowship arrived in theaters, or may have been a post in the RR before that). I'm fairly sure that, like a.s., I'd rather not be reminded of what I said. It's sure to be embarrassing.

The whole 'map' conspiracy was great fun also, although I miss someone (in the internet sense, I've never met this person) who was instrumental in getting the project started. I wish this person was still here.

All these festivities are great fun.

Radhruin

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2009, 11:03am

Post #11 of 26 (288 views)
Shortcut
This is hard! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to say the moots we went to: Indymoot in Indianapolis and Wootmoot at DragonCon in Atlanta.

But neither OhioHobbit nor I can choose between them. I would like to have chosen several of your choices. I have lots of GOOD memories of TORn after so many years!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 2:12pm

Post #12 of 26 (261 views)
Shortcut
Difficult choice for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have so many good memories from TORN, but I chose the Marquette conference. It was such an amazing weekend with amazing people. For a book geek like me, it can't get any better to see Ted Nasmith sitting in the audience, a fan just like the rest of us. He signed my illustrated Sil that weekend, and Tom Shippey signed one of his books for me. We had such a great group of people and laughed so much. To be with such good friends while we viewed the original drafts of LOTR and The Hobbit, and the timeline that JRRT developed to keep track of everyone in ROTK, was a very moving experience.

I can't choose between the ROTK Oscar Party and Ro's and NZS's wedding for my second choice. Both were such incredible experiences.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Apr 25 2009, 4:35pm

Post #13 of 26 (258 views)
Shortcut
The things I've been inspired to do ... [In reply to] Can't Post

OSCAR PARTY
apologies to Rick Nelson
Sevilodorf 3/26/02

Went to an Oscar party,
To celebrate with many friends,
A chance to make some memories,
Talk the film again.

When I got to the Oscar party,
Was a list with my name,
Matched against my driverís license
I didnít look the same.

But itís all right now,
Iíve learned my lesson well.
See you canít wear high heels,
When youíve got to stand for hours.

People came from miles around.
Everyone was there.
Richard brought his mother,
PJ combed his hair.

Over in the corner,
Sat Ian and his friend,
Many folks surrounded him,
But ďYou SHALL NOT win.Ē

But itís all right now,

Watched the whole awards show.
Cheered loudly at the wins.
Vowed that weíd do better,
Weíll be back again.

I said ďHelloĒ to many folks.
They think a lot like me.
Then I saw it was 2 AM
It was time to leave.

But itís all right now,

I went back in the daylight.
The famous stars to see.
Walking in their footsteps,
Would be all right with me.

Now if youíve got to see the Oscars,
I offer this advice.
Buy your tickets early,
And dress up really nice.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 25 2009, 7:57pm

Post #14 of 26 (258 views)
Shortcut
The Lake Harriet Mini Moot was mentioned in my post in the Moot section [In reply to] Can't Post

My reaction as the same. Completely at ease with you all. And Pirates to boot!

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 25 2009, 8:27pm

Post #15 of 26 (295 views)
Shortcut
The first time I presumed to criticize the movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

And got my head bitten off.

Oh, wait, you said favorite memory. Tongue

I guess it would be discovering how funny you lot are. The Pants threads and the puns and the funny quizzes with IEC. (What were those quizzes called? I can never remember their title.)

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2009, 4:41pm

Post #16 of 26 (323 views)
Shortcut
Tattoos, Dragons, and Orlando Bloom [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been a lot of great memories for me...all the fun i've had at DragonCons; people watching, hanging out until the wee hours talking to 'sibs and Founders...the 3rd and final ORC, which was the beginning of the trip I took with Shuya to New Zealand (and when I finally met a certain Mirkwood Prince)...getting tattoos in Boston with CAhobbit and greendragon...spending time at entmaidens incredibly cool apartment in Chicago...the Indy Moot...and even just getting together for lunch with some of the past and present 'sibs here in Atlanta.

Good times.

ordinaryhobbit
Bree

Apr 28 2009, 6:13am

Post #17 of 26 (237 views)
Shortcut
We love Lake Harriet [In reply to] Can't Post

and the Pops Orchestra and had a great time at this, Very Last Minute TORn Moot. It's always so much fun to spend time with you.
Oh, just a reminder when your sitting at Radio City Music Hall this fall, if you look over your left shoulder and back 3 rows there will be 3 familiar faces to greet you.

It is a glorious thing,
To be a Pirate King!

ordinaryhobbit
Bree

Apr 28 2009, 6:20am

Post #18 of 26 (269 views)
Shortcut
It was a pleasure [In reply to] Can't Post

meeting you last summer and sharing the Pops Orchestra, we had a great time. When you're in Radio City Music Hall this fall if you nudge the person on your left you'll see familiar faces in S508, S509 and S510.

Cheers!

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 28 2009, 10:13am

Post #19 of 26 (392 views)
Shortcut
I have to say the books [In reply to] Can't Post

They were most influencial in my life. It was because of them also that i found torn and the movies and my sibs.

Radhruin
Rohan

Apr 29 2009, 5:43am

Post #20 of 26 (263 views)
Shortcut
Are you serious?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very cool! Is this a new development, or have you guys planned on going and I missed it? It will be so nice to know that out of the thousands of folks there I'll know "people" right next to me!

Cheers to you, and I'm off to make sure I get all my (financial) ducks in a row before October!

Radhruin

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 29 2009, 11:49am

Post #21 of 26 (271 views)
Shortcut
Does the Gollum happy dance! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm jumping up and down (well... not really.. but in my heart I am!)

whoo hoo. I mean freakin' whoo hoo. Okay now. This is perfect.

Is the third Love Horses?

Man, I almost missed this. Every so often, I try to make sure I've read everything I want to and then I click 'mark all as read' so I'm back to default. These replies got marked as read without me reading them!

I can't wait.

and it is, it is a glorious thing...
to be Pirate King.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Apr 29 2009, 2:48pm

Post #22 of 26 (210 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right about the "femine" thread being "something else"! Laugh

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 29 2009, 4:09pm

Post #23 of 26 (225 views)
Shortcut
That is an excellent analogy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For awhile it was touch and go, until our very own Entmaiden here came in (like the wizard at the end of Sorcerer's apprentice) and stopped the whole project from drowning everyone! And then, it all came together really well.

Yep, Entmaiden definitely pulled off some wizardly stuff there.

ordinaryhobbit
Bree

Apr 29 2009, 6:19pm

Post #24 of 26 (209 views)
Shortcut
This is a new development. [In reply to] Can't Post

Going back and forth from I don't know if we can go to how can we miss this adventure, and the adventure wins. I've never wanted time to fly by, but now I can't wait for October.

Cheers!

ordinaryhobbit
Bree

Apr 29 2009, 6:36pm

Post #25 of 26 (352 views)
Shortcut
Joins dance [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I think about it, I think I should go out and run around the house a couple times to calm down. Been fence-sitting for a long time but this is just to much to miss.

Love Horses is the third. She already has started making plans and is excited about the adventure.

I probably shouldn't have posted in The Pollantir, thinking later that it could very well be missed, but wanted to let you and Radhruin know before posting in the Moot thread.

We can't wait either.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.