Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
**Happy TORniversary!** TORn Moots - Past and Present
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2009, 6:04pm

Post #1 of 37 (949 views)
Shortcut
**Happy TORniversary!** TORn Moots - Past and Present Can't Post

I am very happy to be participating in TORn's 10th Anniversary celebrations. One of the best things that i've gotten from this site is the chance to meet so many of you, and to have some of those meetings turn into dear friendships.

TORn Moots, or a gathering of TORn-sibs, have taken place since TORn's inception, and in every corner of the world. We come together to celebrate movie premieres, book releases, symphonies, costume & prop exhibitions, conventions, art exhibits, or just the fact that a few of us are in the same area! Really, just put a few TORn-sibs in a room together, and we'll make our own celebration.

Before I share my own Moot experiences, i'd like to invite you all to share yours as well. Photos are appreciated, but please remember to follow TORn's Posting Guidelines.

1) - What was your first Moot?
2) - What was your first impression of the 'sibs you met? Were they just as you imagined them to be, or completely different from their online persona?
3) - What was your most memorable Moot?

My first (and most memorable) Moot experience happened in June, 2004. I was fairly new to TheOneRing.net, having only discovered the site the previous September. I found out, through the site, that there was going to a performance of Lord of the Rings music, conducted by Howard Shore himself in Atlanta. And as an added bonus, Alan Lee was going to be in town for a conference! One of the Atlanta 'sibs, shuya, had even offered to put a few of us up at her house. Which is pretty gutsy considering that we hadn't met each other!

I drove down to Atlanta with 3 other 'sibs - again, I hadn't met them before the trip - and met up with shuya and a few other 'sibs at her place. I know that Ringers Rock (exactly as I had imagined) was there, as well as Wolfy (very quiet), and WhiteLadyEowyn (with her sister). I think Lilberr was there, too (they say the memory is the first to go with age!). I remember the dinner that Frodo-esque put together, and all of the other folks I had only exchanged emails with up to that point: Foehelm (who was SO quiet, and not at all like he was online!), Eomers_Woman, Elf Princess of Lorien, Eowyn Wannabe, Lilia, and so many others. Many of whom i'm still in contact with to this day.

I remember getting to meet Alan Lee - such a gentle, sweet man - and having him sign my 50th anniversary edition of 'LotR'. And I remember the symphony, and going through a lot of tissues! And most of all I remember being so happy that I finally had the chance to spend time with people that loved Tolkien and the films as much as I did.

In fact, I met so many great folks in Atlanta, that I decided to move here in 2005.

Since that great weekend 5 years ago, i've gotten to attend Moots all over the US - more symphonies, the LotR Exhibitions in Boston and Indianapolis, book signings for Alan Lee and Sean Astin, Trilogy Tuesday, DragonCon, San Diego ComicCon, Tolkien's Maps in Chicago, seeing 'FotR' at the Embassy in Wellington, lunch at the Eagle and Child in Oxford with Jazmine and her hubby - and am looking forward to many, many more.

A few more Moot photos

Now it's your turn....

"...and back again."

(This post was edited by deej on Apr 24 2009, 6:06pm)

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2009, 6:19pm

Post #2 of 37 (450 views)
Shortcut
Disregard that last link to photos.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Try these instead:

DragonCon 2007

DragonCon 2008

Atlanta Symphony Moot 2004 - with Howard Shore!

"...and back again."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 6:23pm

Post #3 of 37 (430 views)
Shortcut
My first Moot [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the ROTK Oscar party in February, 2004. I joined the site in 2002, but never felt brave enough to meet anyone in person. When the tickets were announced, I hovered over the link, waiting until the moment came that the link went live and we could order tickets. Demand was unprecedented and the servers quickly crashed. I had gotten to the point that I had an acceptance from Paypal, so I thought I was safe, only to get an e-mail from Corvar that I was being put on a mailing list. I quickly responded with my Paypal notice, and fortunately the error was resolved and I had an actual ticket to the party of the year!

We bought tickets several months in advance of the party, so I was able to forget my nervousness until the time of the party loomed. I started having panic attacks and even seriously considered not going. I knew that I would not be missed in the large group of TORNadoes who were attending the party. Fortunately I dismissed my concerns and got on a plane to fly 1,700 miles to meet people I had never seen before. What if I never met up with anyone from TORN? I had a real concern that I would spend the entire time at the party by myself, looking vainly for the other message board members.

None of the bad things happened, and I was soon part of the gang from TORN. We had an AMAZING time, and meeting everyone was wonderful. One of the funny moments I remember is the astonishment that some of the people spoke with an accent! In my head I had been hearing their written words with my own voice, and midwestern US accent. What were these people doing speaking with a southern accent, or a British accent? I had to do a quick mental adjustment.

My favorite Moot is difficult to choose, since every one of them is special. I think it would be the wedding of Roheryn and NZ Strider. They are both dear friends, and I am so happy they found each other. The whole weekend was magical.

I have a group shot from the wedding - hopefully it comes out OK

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Apr 24 2009, 7:20pm

Post #4 of 37 (468 views)
Shortcut
Meeting Altaira. [In reply to] Can't Post

My first moot was in the spring of 2002, on Oscar night, when FotR was up for several Oscars. A TORnsib who is no longer with us, poppyroper, invited anyone close enough to Denver to come to her parents' house there to watch the Oscars on their TV. I had never gone to a meeting of people I met online before, but I had Uncle Baggins and our two mostly-grown kids with me, so I felt pretty safe. We knew we were in the right place when we saw a sign on the door saying "No admittance except on party business." It was in the driveway that I first met Altaira. She had been on TORn a little longer than I had, but only by a few months, and had made me feel very welcome when I first posted, so we felt like friends already. I don't remember who all was there, except that solikat was one.

Later that spring several of us went to FotR as it was making a last fling in the theaters. Nefisa was with us, as well as Altaira and solikat. I don't remember who else. We sat together in two rows and laughed when the horse said "hi" and at other inappropriate places (Gandalf said "They call me a disturber of the peace" and nefisa added "and a pervy hobbit fancier"). Later we overheard people complaining about those folks who laughed when it wasn't funny.

I expect the most memorable moot I've gone to was the map delivery It was an amazing day, and never to be forgotten, and the thread speaks for itself. I did some things that day I really regret now, especially diseminating photos and videos of Altaira without getting her permission first. She was very gracious, but it was an invasion of privacy, and I regret that a lot. But except for that, it was a fabulous moot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Apr 24 2009, 7:23pm)

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 24 2009, 7:29pm

Post #5 of 37 (430 views)
Shortcut
Mooty goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

This is from my most recent moot, which was on the first annual Cruise to Middle-earth. Yup, a bunch of us all decided to invade New Zealand at the same time, almost all of us being on a ship to do it. We toured filming locations, had a lovely time with the folks at WETA and even had a costume contest on the ship. It was nice to see that some 16 months of work paid off so well for so many people. And yes, I'm doing it again in January, cause I'm crazy that way.

As for my first moot, I guess it would have to be my very first Line Party. TORn opened up the option to host Line Parties for when the movies opened and I chose to do one for Orange County for all the fans who did not want to drive to LA for filmic fun. We had a costume contest and I was given the theater's FOTR standee for all my hard work. You don't even want to know how hard it was to get that thing in the van and get home, and then it was too tall for my place,so I decided to donate it back to TORn to help them raise funds for a new server. Thus launched the Golden Globes viewing party at the Cat n Fiddle in early 2002. When the Standee was not won by someone who could get it home, it was re-donated back to TORn, and that was the entire reason for the first Oscar Party, to get rid of that darn Standee.

Yup, little moots turn into big moots, and 3 Oscar parties later, we moved on to conventions, and now 5 conventions later, I moved on to Cruises to Middle-earth. I'm so glad the Hobbit is being made, cause now I can go back to Line Parties and Oscar Parties again.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Apr 24 2009, 7:38pm

Post #6 of 37 (434 views)
Shortcut
meeting "internet" people for the first time! [In reply to] Can't Post

That really was a weird thing to do in 2004. My husband came with me to Chicago in October '04 for the LOTR Symphony TORn moot -- we'd wanted to go to Chicago anyway! Everyone else in our plane seemed to be going to the marathon. The symphony was wonderful, Chicago was wonderful, and especially meeting Tornsibs for the first time was wonderful! I just wish my photos weren't so sucky and tiny so I could read all the nametags of all the people I saw only that time. ID help welcome! Photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/...s/72157617267210324/ -- I think I lost the larger originals!

(photopage here)

I got on another plane a couple of weeks later to join the RR moot at the Marquette Tolkien conference. (There are conference reports somewhere on the old boards -- NEB linked to them earlier this week, I think it was, in the RR.) I think we took TORn up a notch in the academic Tolkien world while we were there -- at least during the conference sessions! -- but we also spent a lot of wonderful time sitting and talking with each other, indulged in Frodo-and-Sam-related fun, took our own time to see the display of Tolkien's manuscripts (at least a few of us went alone or more that once), and made a real contribution to the beverage economy of the city. Too bad I still had the same sucky camera! Marquette photos here: http://www.flickr.com/...s/72157617174746513/

(photopage here)

And I was really happy that some TORn folks came to The Gathering in Toronto -- mini-moot in my own town! We took ourselves off at various times to a pub and an Ethiopian restaurant and my living room. (The conference was pretty darned good too.) Lots of pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lu_/sets/72157594188284175/

(photopage here)

I met more Tornsibs in Toronto for the Cinesphere Imax Trilogy day, but I can't find my pictures! I hope someone else has some!

Lķthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 24 2009, 8:44pm

Post #7 of 37 (438 views)
Shortcut
My first Moot kind of didn't happen... the rest have been mini [In reply to] Can't Post

As I've said, I was a dedicated visitor to TORn's home page. I'm pretty sure there were months when I might have checked it every hour. But I had people I was discussing Tolkien online and didn't really 'get' that TORn had message boards for a long time. When I did, I discovered that a thread that was 4 days old was no longer open for posting and decided I was happy where I was.

In the summer of 2004, the Marquette University conferences (Oct 21-23) were announced. Now, I live about 6 hours from Milwaukee and I had become friends with someone who lived in one of the suburbs so I decided to go. And it was announced that TORn members were collaborating on a gathering... a Moot. I asked if I could join their plans and they graciously welcomed me. Later, I brought a few other friends into the mix from the forum I did belong to.

But, 2004 was the summer of change for me. The stress kind of came to a peak in the last days of the planning. When I realized I was seriously having trouble keeping things straight, I wrote to the group:
Want the 1 minute synopisis of my life for the last 9 months? Here we go:
  • January: the school I work at for 8 years slated for closing
  • February: school is not closing but layoffs will still occur
  • May: Iím officially laid off
  • Summer: spent alternately stressing and avoiding how to decide what to do next
  • Aug: notified Iíve been placed into an early childhood program.
  • Sept: start working with infants to 4 year olds. a lot of crying toddlers & cleaning and picking up - this isnít what I wanted to move into
  • Oct: quit my job with one weeks notice and enrolled in a graphic arts program
  • Monday: attended first photoshop lesson - learning to use Mac (Iím a PC user) and keep up with people half my age
  • Tuesday: attended first drawing class. Tried hard not to cry in frustration and came home and had a large brandy.
  • Plan: trust the process
I got the nicest letter from someone who I'm not sure is here anymore, "galadhremmin". It didn't help that I really didn't know anyone from the TORn message boards and I did know a few people from another forum and they knew people who got included in our group. So I ended up spending my time with them instead of TORn members.

I felt badly that I didn't find time to connect directly with TORn members at the conference. I did find them at breakfast and showed them a drawing I'd done that 'didn't suck'. (Maybe I wouldn't be so bad at this stuff after all!) It's funny to look back at those pictures and see faces to names that I completely recognize now. I wonder if any of them remember me as that totally stressed out woman. (I have those pictures but, since they don't really include me... I hesitate to post them)

When I found I had a TORnsib living quite near me, we made plans to meet at the Riverview Theater's LOTR trilogy showing. I felt instantly comfortable with HobbitLove, OrdinaryHobbit and their family. Since then, through the efforts of OrdinaryHobbit who is the quietest little powerhouse around... we gathered with Radhuin at a summer park concert. Again, it was a feeling of total and instant comfort with people who are just names on a page before that.

I'm not one much for big events. Or big adventures. I almost can't believe that I'm going to NYC and get the opportunity to meet so many people that my head will whirl with keeping their real life names and their online nicks and their home forum (here or Doug's blog) straight. So many people I've developed quite an affection for are going to be there. The only ones who could make the experience even more exciting through their attendance would be HobbitLove and OrdinaryHobbit. I know it's a long shot for them, but we gotta dream, right?

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2009, 10:00pm

Post #8 of 37 (418 views)
Shortcut
My first TORn Moot... [In reply to] Can't Post

While I have been going to conventions and Tolkien gatherings since the summer of 2004, and while I met many sibs at ORC and such and often see folks from the SoCal Tolkien Forever group, I didn't actually hang out much with my fellow TORNsibs outside of the cons until this last July.

It was the Comic Con, and MrCere invited me to join him and a few TORNsibs at a pub after the convention. Because it was a pub, I went over to the place a couple hours before the scheduled dinner and made sure that I would actually be allowed in in such an hour. Thankfully I had little problems, and since I had nothing to do and nowhere to go after 6, I remember hanging out in the area for a good half an hour before someone else came. I remember someone (I think it was you, deej, or someone who you were with) pointing out Ron Perlman across the street, which was interesting.

Soon enough others started coming, and we ordered a little something- I remember the room being extremely loud and cheerful, and I remember stepping outside here and there to get some fresh air. Had some wonderful conversations with CAHobbit, deej, MrCere, Arwen, Sarumann, and others who escape me at the moment. It was also great to see the WETA folk stop by and talk with them a little bit during dinner.

I think the part that touched me the most, though, is that a good large group of you wouldn't let me wander off on my own until I found a taxi. My rather protective father was glad to hear this, too Tongue

I hope to see many of you again this year at the con, and perhaps even more at the FOTR concert in NYC. It is becoming more and more possible for me to go Smile

Cheers!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 24 2009, 11:14pm

Post #9 of 37 (405 views)
Shortcut
oooooo, the infamous wine and cheese party!! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL. Remembering the "lavish" (insert HEAVY sarcasm there) wine and cheese party we hosted in our room, which was standing room only after all the chairs and bed-sitting-on space was taken up! NEVER EVER tell a bunch of Tornsibs they "can't" party someplace; they will find a way!

My first Torn-moot. Thanks for the memories.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

God is eternal, without beginning or end. Don't worry too much about tomorrow. God is already there.

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 24 2009, 11:50pm

Post #10 of 37 (408 views)
Shortcut
There are a few moots that are dear to me [In reply to] Can't Post

The first two were actually at my place at Green Pond with the local sibs around 2006 with Aerlinn and dernwyn's family along with my own..
on the dock

and a later at a Renaissance Faire in NY with dernwyn's family, lossefalme's family and Wynnie's family . Smeagirl was there too but had to leave early to catch the last bus.
breather under the tree

and the BIG one, the Woot Moot in Atlanta with so many smiling faces.
the biggest gang

All these people i have had the wonderful privilege to meet and share good times. Thank you all very much.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of ManwŽ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŽ Sķlimo

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2009, 12:06am

Post #11 of 37 (437 views)
Shortcut
Our first moot. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first moot OhioHobbit and I went to was Indymoot. We got to see the movie exhibition and to meet lots of sibs. We had such a good time and everyone was so nice that when we got home, I started posting after lurking for several years.

The next one we went to was DragonCon 2007. That was so much fun.

We certainly wish we could go to more, but maybe someday.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 4:41am

Post #12 of 37 (395 views)
Shortcut
Wellingmoot 2005 [In reply to] Can't Post

has a special place in my heart as it's the only gathering of NZ TORNadoes I've been to, and we had an utterly brilliant weekend.

So many of the people who were there have long ago dropped away from TORN - Choice of Luthien, Estelwyn, Delyth, Leggylass, Kerewyn, Smokering and MILK, as well as Kimi and Mr Kimi, and Tehanu and Mr Tehanu.

It started with an evening gathering at Leggylass's house in Wellington where everyone got on like a house on fire. I remember at one point Kerewyn tried to get the group's attention by clinking her knife against a glass - *clink*clink*clink*CRACK* - a bit too much pressure against the glass, there. And there was a sponge cake that had been exquisitely iced with the pattern of the Hobbits' leaf brooch.

The next day we had a tour of film sites, with Tehanu taking us to Fernside (Galadriel's farewell to the Fellowship from Lothlorien, and the Smeagol/Deagol fight), then us driving to the Putangirua Pinnacles where the Paths of the Dead were filmed.

That evening we went to what turned out to be the final stage show of The Hobbit - where before the show started Smokering pointed out that the runes on the backdrop were incorrect. Cool

The next day we saw ROTK at The Embassy theatre - and on the final day was The Big One: A tour of Weta Workshop, where the very generous and delightful Daniel Falconer took us down to the weapons wall where we got to see and hold the weapons of all the major characters - including Narsil, Anduril and Glamdring, and we saw Gil-galad's spear Aeglos up where it was unreachable. Smokering had previously joined a sword club so Mr Kimi got a video of her trying out her sword manouvres with one of the weapons. We also got a sneak look at some of the props of the as-yet-unreleased Narnia: TLTWaTW movie. And while we were in the Weta boardroom (drooling over every single sculpture created by Sideshow Weta and hold the Bafta and Oscar trophies), Richard Taylor popped in for a chat. Smile Smile Smile

An absolute blast of a weekend, shared with similarly obsessed Tolkien geeks and truly wonderful people.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 25 2009, 4:59am

Post #13 of 37 (395 views)
Shortcut
No Moots, but a few meetings! [In reply to] Can't Post

I met Gramma and Scout at at trilogy showing in Toronto, but did not spend lots of time with them as I with my family and pretty new to TORn...

I knew gramma was going from a post on TORn, and remembered seeing her in a photo, so I kept walking around the theater between films trying to find someone who looked like her. Unfortunately, the first person I picked was "not" gramma! To this day, there is some woman out there wondering about that strange lady who walked up to her and said "are you my gramma?" Crazy

Fortunately, I hit it right the second time. She had a pretty puzzled look on her face until I told her I was "weaver". And then I got my very own in person flying tackle hug, and got to sign a book she carries around with her, apparently in case people come up to her on the street and call her gramma...Smile

Gramma introduced me to Scout, and so I at least had a face to go with that name!

This past year I met NEB "live" at the University of Vermont, which was great.

And now that I think about it, way back before I ever posted on TORn, but was checking it on and off, I went to a Viggo book signing and Xo was there and he interviewed and took photos of my kids, which ended up on the site somwhere...If I find them I'll return to post them...

I had no idea then that I'd be here at this party this weekend!

Weaver

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 25 2009, 5:57am

Post #14 of 37 (421 views)
Shortcut
Many meetings [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how many of us were around during the "Line Party" stage of things here at TORn but that was a big part of my early TORn life and the good Tolkien people in Salt Lake are still dear to my heart.

I believe Inferno might be somewhere in this picure, but I can't say.

Anyway, for the first FOTR screening in Salt Lake, I used the Line Party function here at TORn, and wouldn't you know it, a whole lot of people in Salt Lake responded.500 of us went to a midnight screening and before that some of us went to an Olympic plaza and stood around a large round fountain (turned off in the cold night) and made one big ring.

If you look carefully, you can see lots of costumes.

The picture quality is terrible but that event is very near to my heart.

I am pretty sure there was a newspaper article about this but I couldn't find it on google. I did find this

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

(This post was edited by MrCere on Apr 25 2009, 6:05am)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 25 2009, 6:20am

Post #15 of 37 (384 views)
Shortcut
I found a cooler link! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found a TORn page with a big collection of Line Party event repors. I felt some nostalgia.

Read me!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 7:13am

Post #16 of 37 (428 views)
Shortcut
That was such a wonderful weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

And at least we're still around :-)

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 25 2009, 7:31pm

Post #17 of 37 (345 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 25 2009, 8:14pm

Post #18 of 37 (374 views)
Shortcut
East meets West [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I consider June 04 my gateway moot. It lead to DragonCon, ORC and house parties. And there were so many of us! And all the events Frodoeque organized.....good times.

The first sibs I met were those in around Atlanta and Florida: Shuya (more outgoing than I imagined her), Mr. and Mrs. Foe Helm (tag team comedian duo comes to life during moots); Goldielocks Tock (exactly as she is online! plus she has an entire family she's molded to be just as far out, open minded and cool) Deej (based on her music taste, never would've guessed she would evolve into a community organizer Tongue)

I'd have to say ORC was my favorite. Flying to California and partying with the westcoast sibs was amazing! Here's a picture of Goldie and I outside the convention center. It's small but fitting.

Greenwood Hobbit
Gondor

Apr 25 2009, 10:22pm

Post #19 of 37 (368 views)
Shortcut
Memorable Moots! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had such fun meeting up with other fans, it's been a fantastic experience at a time in my life when I didn;t think anything that new and good would come along.

1) - What was your first Moot?
My first Moot was at the Edinbuurgh Fringe, when I travelled up alone to meet Roheryn, InDuhvidual, Arwenelf , Belethdelothiel and oh argh, what was the other girl called? She was blonde and American, I know that. I can see her in my mind's eye now. Apologies, whoever you are! I'll remember as soon as I've posted... We saw Flight of the Conchords, they came to the flat that the girls had rented, and I had a great time and very little sleep.

2) - What was your first impression of the 'sibs you met? Were they just as you imagined them to be, or completely different from their online persona?
It was the first time I'd been on a forum and gone to meet peopel I didn't know - had no preconceived impressions really. I knew they'd be younger than me and they were! That didn't seem to matter though.

3) - What was your most memorable Moot?
Oooh... can't decide! Either meeting up with sibs to share the Science Museum exhibition, or the Howard Shore concert. Don't make me choose! All the Moots have been brilliant; so good to be in the company of people who share the love.

I also had a great moot, though not connected to TORn, at Collectormania 4, with people from the late lamented BitOfEarth, where I posted regularly before its demise. I attended the Q&A with Sean and Elijah, was able to ask a question which Sean answered, and I gave them bookmarks I'd made with photos of the Bagginswood area of the Midlands on them.

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Apr 26 2009, 1:18am

Post #20 of 37 (359 views)
Shortcut
Marquette was my first moot as well, [In reply to] Can't Post

even though there had already been a number of gatherings within 15 miles of my home in Los Angeles! I wonder if the 10 pounds of leftover cheese curds are still in the hotel room refrigerator?
Here are some more Marquette pix--their chief virtue is they actually show the photographer of the previous set. Smile

http://www.flickr.com/...s/72157617228718009/

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 1:46am

Post #21 of 37 (374 views)
Shortcut
That was so much fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got some pictures from that Moot also.

http://s118.photobucket.com/...quette%20Conference/

Can't believe it was almost 5 years ago. I think it's time for another!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 2:06am

Post #22 of 37 (393 views)
Shortcut
thanks (everyone) for the Marquette pics!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any. I think I brought my camera but didn't know how to use it at the time. Or I misplaced my pictures (or my mind, or both), so these pictures are great.

That was my first moot. My family thought I was crazy.

LOL

Yes, it was great fun. Can't wait to see some of you in NYC!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

God is eternal, without beginning or end. Don't worry too much about tomorrow. God is already there.

Saelind
Lorien

Apr 26 2009, 2:07am

Post #23 of 37 (366 views)
Shortcut
Moots [In reply to] Can't Post

I have trouble separating my Eowyn Challenge moots and my TORn moots since there is some overlap.

I was at the Atlanta concert but was not a Torn regular. I've been to several Dragoncons. I did attend the Marquette conference. Went to the Gathering in 06 as well. I have my sights set on attending the Return of the Ring in 2012.

They have all been wonderful and I hope to be at many more.

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 26 2009, 2:14am

Post #24 of 37 (404 views)
Shortcut
MOOTS!! Chicago Map Moot and Mythcon 2008 [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't mooted (er, is that the past tense of "moot"?) as much as some of you, but I have enjoyed myself immensely when I've had the chance to do it!

Here's my report on the 2007 Chicago Map Moot.

And at Mythcon last year, I had an opportunity to hang with some fellow Tornsibs. See here.

Can't wait to see many of you in NYC this fall!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 26 2009, 4:41am

Post #25 of 37 (358 views)
Shortcut
In your last photo [In reply to] Can't Post

...the thirteenth, but one of the first you took --since it's from the first night-- I can identify one more person: sitting next to the late Balin is Anthony Burdge, co-chair of the Northeast Tolkien Society and of last year's Mythcon in Connecticut.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Hobbit in the Reading Room, Mar. 23 - Aug. 9. Everyone is welcome!

Join us Apr. 20-26 for "Riddles in the Dark".
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.