Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The TORN Dictionary is live!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 11:12am

Post #1 of 43 (881 views)
Shortcut
The TORN Dictionary is live! Can't Post

Whether you're a First Ager or a new arrival, this is your chance to brush up on words and phrases seen only on TORN. No more reading posts and wondering what in Arda they meant by that...become a TORNspeak expert and amaze your 'sibs! WinkCool

Read it there, comment here!

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

LaerasŰa
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2009, 11:29am

Post #2 of 43 (622 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this!! Thank you, Silverlode! (Some of these are absolutely fascinating; I'm glad I learned about the phenomenons that are testosterone tower and estrogen island! Wink)

*Happily goes off to read more dictionary words*

Traveling Journal Official Site
The journal is finally in America!!

(This post was edited by LaerasŰa on Apr 24 2009, 11:31am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 24 2009, 11:39am

Post #3 of 43 (624 views)
Shortcut
Psst Laera! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love your av SmileSmileSmileSmile

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 12:09pm

Post #4 of 43 (608 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gorgeous! Where did you find that, Laera?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 12:12pm

Post #5 of 43 (585 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's wonderful! For getting it all put together you deserve...cookies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 24 2009, 1:39pm

Post #6 of 43 (570 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know from experience how useful that will be. There have been enough of these nice words that left me completely confused as a newbie!
Thanks, Silverlode!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Apr 24 2009, 3:45pm

Post #7 of 43 (530 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

L˙thien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Milady
Rivendell

Apr 24 2009, 4:12pm

Post #8 of 43 (580 views)
Shortcut
Cookie overload? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does the posting of a TORN dictionary mean that more and more terms will become used more frequently?

THE ANGELS HAVE THE PHONE BOX

(don't blink)

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 24 2009, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 43 (577 views)
Shortcut
s'mores! [In reply to] Can't Post

Def: A treat consisting of a toasted (if not burnt) marshmallow and a piece of chocolate sandwiched between two graham crackers. When a discussion devolves into flames, the best thing to do is bring out the s'mores!

To change how we see things takes falling in love. Then the same becomes altogther different. Like love, a shift of sight can be redemptive. - James Hillman
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 24 2009, 4:25pm

Post #10 of 43 (576 views)
Shortcut
Wham! Zap! Powie! AWESOME! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're Officially Official now! This is fabulous!!! *mods up* I've printed it out since I can't read it here at work. HOWLING LAUGHTER IS NOT ALLOWED FROM 8am-5pm!!!!

Thanks so much! This is great :D

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2009, 4:57pm

Post #11 of 43 (523 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially loved the very last entry- I started laughing quite a bit because it's completely true.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 24 2009, 5:00pm

Post #12 of 43 (626 views)
Shortcut
What a treasure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm impressed that you have some of the newest bits of TOrn jargon included, like "femine" and "cookie", as well as some of the very oldest. Incredibly well done!

Have a cookie!

I'm afraid I don't peek in the welcome thread as often as I should.

I've been scratching my head and trying to think of anything you missed, and can't think of anything, except possibly obscure references to a certain Map.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 24 2009, 5:12pm

Post #13 of 43 (623 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, how about Rick Cottontree? [In reply to] Can't Post

There was some discussion about a character, or possibly an actor, by that name after TTT came out. It's not used much anymore, but for a while Rick was a popular if elusive personality on the boards.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ciars
Rohan

Apr 24 2009, 5:37pm

Post #14 of 43 (546 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to see "older" terms like 'glug' 'mods up' and 'pants' there!! no flaming/ trolls??

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 24 2009, 5:39pm

Post #15 of 43 (583 views)
Shortcut
The only thing I can think is missing is "RR" and "OT" [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll probably think of more as soon as I post. But I think (I THINK, I said!) the only two boards consistently abbreviated are the RR and OT.

So, just, you know, for what it's worth.

LOL

I would mod you up but, sigh, can't do it, have to say it:

"mods up"

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

God is eternal, without beginning or end. Don't worry too much about tomorrow. God is already there.

(This post was edited by a.s. on Apr 24 2009, 5:46pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 7:09pm

Post #16 of 43 (540 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

*makes note to add s'mores in the next revision*

Thanks - I knew it was still missing some things! Cool

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 7:11pm

Post #17 of 43 (549 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the Map [In reply to] Can't Post

should have an entry. And I've been pondering whether I should attempt to explain the mysterious career of the fox as well....

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 7:13pm

Post #18 of 43 (549 views)
Shortcut
Yes, good one. Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 7:17pm

Post #19 of 43 (565 views)
Shortcut
The reason I didn't include [In reply to] Can't Post

flaming and trolls is that those are terms that are used all over the net. I decided to avoid words and acronyms you could Google easily and focus on those unique to TORN.

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 7:20pm

Post #20 of 43 (568 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's true. OT is a pretty common abbreviation for Off Topic, but RR is definitely a TORN term.

If and when anything else does occur to you, be sure to mention it. The Dictionary is meant to be revised frequently and kept current. Smile

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 24 2009, 7:23pm

Post #21 of 43 (561 views)
Shortcut
We needed that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad you thought of it.
Nice job of it too:).
Cheers!

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of ManwŰ let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of ManwŰ S˙limo

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 24 2009, 8:39pm

Post #22 of 43 (531 views)
Shortcut
Yes, good point about the map. [In reply to] Can't Post

If one says "the map," many here will know which map you're talking about, but newbies won't.

"I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it."

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 24 2009, 9:02pm

Post #23 of 43 (528 views)
Shortcut
Oh I [In reply to] Can't Post

do like the term "Squee"

I'm going to start using thatCool

Artanis

Reading: Trying to think of something.

Listening: Complete Fellowship of the Ring Soundtrack and the BBC Dramatization LOTR

Random Delights: Tea, Chocolate and TORN

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2009, 9:33pm

Post #24 of 43 (523 views)
Shortcut
I had never heard of those either! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hehe... quite nice... thanks, Silverlode!

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

LaerasŰa
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2009, 10:52pm

Post #25 of 43 (500 views)
Shortcut
I made it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found the leaf brooch on google, and then added rainbow music notes to blend into it, and wrote, "Happy 10th Anniverary, TORn!" but you can't see that part so well. Thanks, yall!

Traveling Journal Official Site
The journal is finally in America!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.