First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 23 2007, 10:36pm

Post #51 of 59 (5748 views)
Shortcut
what he said (glad he had my back) :-) /nt [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

drogo
Lorien

Feb 23 2007, 10:43pm

Post #52 of 59 (5768 views)
Shortcut
I prefer Lee's [In reply to] Can't Post

Nasmith's "prow" is almost too artificial looking. Lee's Minas Tirith (which of course went on to become the movie version) is the one I like the best out of all of them:

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...images/lee/lee41.jpg

Howe's version, however, doesn't seem to capture the image i have when I read the description:

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...ages/howe/tirith.jpg

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 11:07pm

Post #53 of 59 (5818 views)
Shortcut
Lothlórien "like an atomic explosion" -- the ultimate source of nuclear-Galadriel? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Road to Minas Tirith
As I said below, this is a natural image for illustrators, because Tolkien describes it in some detail and even give the emotion --awe-- that it should evoke. Early morning, turn a corner, see the White City gleaming in the dawn. But the BH illustration is a shadow of Tolkien's description, from the green blob trees on the Pelennor to that weird red-rock city in the distance.

The Pillars of the King
Better. As squire once showed, the sculptures are impossible --the BH have just drawn a couple real people, and then surface treated them to look like stone-- but the feeling of imposing gates is there. The BH are awfully fond of shadowed foreground and lit background.

Saruman at Orthanc
More shadow. Underpopulated, as usual. Nothing much to add to others' comments.

The Golden Hall of Rohan
Is the horse's shadow pointing the wrong way?

Helm's Deep
The walls and turrets are cliché-castle. As others have noted, the culvert is ridiculous. The BH's technical limits are showing: the detail of the foreground grass, the look of distant brick in waning light are poor. But the picture does show some sense of place and time (if not anything from the book).

Rivendell
Nothing at all to do with Tolkien's Rivendell. Tired storybook house in the woods, slightly Spanish. Awful trees. Still more foreground shadow.

Hall of Fire
A wooden floor and stone walls? What made the hobbits turn around like that?

Lothlórien
I agree with Tim H., the trees look a bit like mushroom clouds. Or like octopus tentatcles, reaching into the air. Just bizarre.

Galadriel
Now those look like pine trees in the background.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 19-25: The Hobbit.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 11:09pm

Post #54 of 59 (5758 views)
Shortcut
Too steep. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm not a fan of Lee's washed-out images. I agree that Howe is unfaithful to the text: his Minas Tirith evokes Maxfield Parrish, for me.

Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2007, 7:59am

Post #55 of 59 (5742 views)
Shortcut
Tom is remembered [In reply to] Can't Post

if you ever watch TCM (my favorite channel). He assume was more interested in the tech aspects than the artistic aspects of film-making. How have you happened to see films by the Lumiere Bros? I have never seen them on TCM.

Websites Directory, my drawings,Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 24 2007, 1:54pm

Post #56 of 59 (5734 views)
Shortcut
Lumière films... [In reply to] Can't Post

are available on several video collections. One of the best is The Lumière Brothers' First Films, with accompanying narratton by Bertrand Tavernier, a French director who has been prominent since the mid-1970s. I saw that collection in the theater when it toured the U.S. in the mid-1990s with narration by Thierry... well, I can't remember his last name: he was curator of of a film archive in Lyon.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2007, 6:20pm

Post #57 of 59 (5770 views)
Shortcut
say, could you be a biggger [In reply to] Can't Post

film fan/geek that me!, . . . Mr. Theater Manager.

Most of my friends call me addicted to movies. I say: why would I not want to know the history of the thing that I love...I learned how important that was in Art school.

Basically, I have been a film fan since I could walk. I just love learning as much as I can about movies and of course watching them, if they are good, not throw-away trash like most of it out in the mega-plexes these days.

Thank you so much for the informaton.
Are you ready for the Oscars this Sunday!

Websites Directory, my drawings,Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

wolfranger
Bree

Feb 24 2007, 6:36pm

Post #58 of 59 (5713 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite agree with that, especially regarding the white stone. White stone looks different when it ages, but that picture does not present the idea of age.

Cheers,
wolfranger

"The progress of evolution from President Washington to President Grant, was alone evidence enough to upset Darwin." Henry Adams, The Education of Henry Adams.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 25 2007, 11:58pm

Post #59 of 59 (6282 views)
Shortcut
On theater management. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's live theater not film, and consists mostly of negotiating and drafting contracts.

My filmgoing the past several years is well down from the 75-150 films I saw each year in the 1990s. Maybe half that now, usually on video. I am so not ready for the Oscars.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.