Tolkien Artists, The Bros. Hildebrandt: World of Men and Elves
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

drogo
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 6:41pm

Post #1 of 59 (16268 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Artists, The Bros. Hildebrandt: World of Men and Elves Can't Post

Yay! Breaking in new boards with the Hildebrandts!!!!

Cool

+++++++++++

This post contrasts their depictions of the cultures of Men and Elves as well as their structures and dwellings.

First, the world of Men:

"The Road to Minas Tirith" (July 1976)

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...andt/road2tirith.jpg

"The Pillars of the King" (April 1978)

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...debrandt/pillars.jpg

"Saruman at Orthanc" (September 1976) (Since it was originally a Númenórean structure)

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...debrandt/orthanc.jpg

"The Golden Hall of Rohan" (August 1978)

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...ebrandt/goldhall.jpg

Helm's Deep (July 1977)

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...brandt/helmsdeep.jpg

And now the world of Elves:

"Rivendell" (March 1977)

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...brandt/rivendell.jpg

"I designed Rivendell to be the most ideal place for me to live. A house like this in the middle of natue is my dream. Sort of a Walt Disney-take on Frank Lloyd Wright."
--Tim Hildebrandt

This is a 2002 painting of the Hall of Fire (the couple posing as Aragorn and Arwen commissioned the work and posed for it, so he doesn't have a Father Guido Sarducci 70s 'stache!)

"Lothlórien" (May 1977)

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...randt/lothlorien.jpg

"Even though Lothlorien is the highest manifestation of peace and beauty, I always thought the finished shape of the trees looked like an atomic explosion."
--Tim Hildebrandt

And of course, Galadriel herself with her ring

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...brandt/galadriel.jpg

Last one later today or tomorrow, and maybe I will figure out how to do thumbnails here!

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 17 2007, 6:45pm

Post #2 of 59 (15087 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow it seems appropriate that they carry on the tradition from the old boards to the new.

Cheers, drogo! (Your nick is so much faster to type now Wink)

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2007, 7:24pm

Post #3 of 59 (15139 views)
Shortcut
quick fly-by [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi drogo
I will return to give a lengthier response later, have plans today. just want to put in an early reply, adn give the RR my first test drive

this is an exciting day. Blush

a brief HB comment:
their later stuff seems a little more appealing to me, if still problematic. I liek the best: "Lothlórien" and "The Road to Minas Tirith".

I'll be back!

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Feb 17 2007, 7:32pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2007, 7:50pm

Post #4 of 59 (15080 views)
Shortcut
The Hall of Fire [In reply to] Can't Post

reminds me of those medieval Nativity and other paintings that were commissioned, on condition that those paying for them get painted into the scene. Makes a nice change from their usual Aragorn, though.

(Hey, what happened to your avatar? It inspired mine!)
(Oh, I see now - you hadn't posted it in yet. Love this editing feature!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 17 2007, 7:52pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 17 2007, 7:58pm

Post #5 of 59 (15106 views)
Shortcut
if I paid them enough, would they paint my [In reply to] Can't Post

wedding dress portrait?

(I see Galadriel changed her dress in the ring picture...)

Can't think of what to say at the moment, still caught up in trying to figure out the new Torn and all the fine print. But will be back later.

(shamelessly hijacking this thread to test my footer? no, no, no....well, maybe) Blush

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2007, 8:13pm

Post #6 of 59 (15072 views)
Shortcut
Not just her dress but her body, evidently. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish they'd used this model for all the Galadriel pictures.

I love the ring on her finger that looks like a star. I love how the flowers in the grass mirror the stars in the sky. I love Galadriel's tall, slender frame and the simple white gown that pools at her feet.

This is my favorite Hildebrandt painting.

One of my hobbies is counted cross-stitch. There are companies out there that will take a picture and create a counted cross-stitch or needlepoint pattern for it, or you can even get software that will do that. I've sometimes thought I'd like to stitch this image. After I get through all those other projects I've started....

squire
Half-elven

Feb 17 2007, 8:48pm

Post #7 of 59 (15096 views)
Shortcut
The Galadriel is really quite good. [In reply to] Can't Post

There. I said it.

And not just because you're inaugrating our lovely new Reading Room, still smelling of varnish and grout and rug cleaner.

Back later - just a fly-by to check out the new digs.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

drogo
Lorien

Feb 17 2007, 8:51pm

Post #8 of 59 (15057 views)
Shortcut
*squire must be dizzy in the transition to the new board* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, at least there's something they did that you vaguely like. Smile

And actually I've never been a big fan of that picture; Galady is too much like a 70s Breck girl or something. The setting is nice, though, and suitably Lorien-like.

In Reply To
There. I said it.

And not just because you're inaugrating our lovely new Reading Room, still smelling of varnish and grout and rug cleaner.

Back later - just a fly-by to check out the new digs.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

(This post was edited by drogo on Feb 17 2007, 8:59pm)

Sandicomm
Bree

Feb 17 2007, 11:57pm

Post #9 of 59 (15011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drogo] Tolkien Artists, The Bros. Hildebrandt: World of Men and Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm. I found the way they showed the "World of Man" to be very boring and bland, but maybe that's because most of the pictures you chose are landscapes? It's just, "Ho hum, look a lot of towers!"

The portrayal of the "World of Elves" seems to either be very serious but peaceful (I love that Galadriel painting. I want that dress.) or very silly and cartoony (that's Tim Hildebrant's dream house? Good God--talk about my nightmare house!). But this dichotomy also plagues the hobbit paintings.

(And yay for the new board! Now the only time I'll ever have to bother with HTML is if I have to update the website for the magazine I'm working for. Esopus. Which every TORNsib should read. /shameless plug, and the link-thingy was not working for me.)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 12:21am

Post #10 of 59 (15014 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very interesting to see all of these various interpretations of Tolkien's world.

Out of all of those, I really like Galadriel, and I like the Aragorn and Arwen picture (it's nice to see him without the mustache!). I think their version of Meduseld is more precise to what Meduseld may have looked like; the movie Meduseld seemed too... small. I mean, I imagine there were quite a few people living in and around Meduseld, and this seems to be more of the correct size. I do like the greenness, too.

That Rivendell makes me shudder. It reminds me way too much of the cottage from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (had to make sure not to say 'dwarves' there). But yea, I like Alan Lee's interpretation much better.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

drogo
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 12:31am

Post #11 of 59 (15007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sandicomm] Tolkien Artists, The Bros. Hildebrandt: World of Men and Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hmm. I found the way they showed the "World of Man" to be very boring and bland, but maybe that's because most of the pictures you chose are landscapes? It's just, "Ho hum, look a lot of towers!"

They don't have many paintings of figures in Gondor (I posted some of the human figures in Rohan back on the old board). The wedding of Aragorn and his coronation

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...debrandt/faramir.jpg

are people shots, but those too seem to be very rigid and formal (no doubt due to their use of photographs of separate models combined together).

The Faramir picture

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...debrandt/faramir.jpg

picture is one of the few of Men that shows figures in a non-ceremonial situation.

The brothers tended, though, to do landscapes featuring some of the monuments of old Numenorean civilization. Remember also that in 1976 there really weren't images of sites floating around (except in fanzines which were circulated on a very, very limited basis, mostly mimeographed copies mailed to a few people). The Hildebrandts were pioneeers in that they were some of the first artists to depict these places in a widely-published medium that reached many viewers. No one had shown us what the Argonath looked like before them.

Now we don't have to agree with the way they see the sites, but what is important is how they did influence others to give their own versions of them in their later art. I remember balking at the image of Minas Tirith (theirs is too much rough rock and not the carved, polished tiered city with a big prow jutting out), and I bet others feel the same way. But in subsequent years other artists have gone on to give their own versions of that illustration (Gandalf and Pippin riding up to the city), and PJ even did something virtually identical in composition to that painting in his movie. Here is Nasmith's Minas Tirith by way of comparison:

http://img-fan.theonering.net/.../nasmith/tirdawn.jpg

Even if we don't like the brothers' interpretation or the looseness of their representation of places, we do have to acknowledge that they were about the first ones to establish what are the classic "tourist" shots in the photo tour of Middle-earth.

(This post was edited by drogo on Feb 18 2007, 12:35am)

Beren IV
Gondor

Feb 18 2007, 12:38am

Post #12 of 59 (15019 views)
Shortcut
Re: [drogo] Tolkien Artists, The Bros. Hildebrandt: World of Men and Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

Avatars, I see - okay, can anybody direct me to an image of Beren without the beard? Mad

I definitely agree - this Galadriel looks exactly as I envision her: tall, slender, beautiful, and somebody who could have been truly powerful earlier in her life. Not to say that she is without power now, but there it is.

The others I will quibble on about accuracy again. Gondor should have more farmland - how else is Minas Tirith fed? The Pillars of the Kings are well-painted (carved?), but identical. How do you tell Isiludur and Anarion apart? Also, neither of them lived to old age; they shouldn't have beards like that. Orthanc has a decidedly incorrect architecture. The Golden hall is too white - a building with a thatched roof for a semi-nomadic people shouldn't look like that. That's Gondor-ish architecture. Helm's Deep, especially the Deeping Wall, are too tall. The Greyflood in front of Rivendell should be a river, not a small stream. Lothlórien, or rather Caras Galadhon, has no way to get up to that high flet, and the flet should be better hidden anyway.

This said, the mountains in the background of the Edoras painting are nice. Wink

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 12:40am

Post #13 of 59 (14985 views)
Shortcut
Well, if you've got $125,000 lying around, [In reply to] Can't Post

you could snap up the original painting of Aragorn's and Arwen's wedding.

http://www.spiderwebart.com/...ctsd.asp?snob=100919

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 12:44am

Post #14 of 59 (14993 views)
Shortcut
The Coronation has cameos. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Return of the King (Aragorn's coronation) is notable for cameo appearances by the Hildebrandts themselves. That's why the two attendants on the right look so much alike -- they're portraits of the Bros., who were twins. (Click image below for large scan.)

drogo
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 12:57am

Post #15 of 59 (14990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerin] Well, if you've got $125,000 lying around, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
you could snap up the original painting of Aragorn's and Arwen's wedding.

http://www.spiderwebart.com/...ctsd.asp?snob=100919

$210K for the '76 centerfold of the Fellowship! Wink

(This post was edited by drogo on Feb 18 2007, 12:57am)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 12:57am

Post #16 of 59 (14969 views)
Shortcut
that painting hurts my eyes, really [In reply to] Can't Post

now, I hate to be a complainer (go ahead, roll your collective eyes) but that Aragorn. I mean...doesn't he just make you want to LAUGH!!?? Does he look like a king of any kind to you? He's got his momma's tunic on (the one she used to wear over leggings) and someone's wedding cake on his head (or maybe it's a pair of swans, can't tell). If I was Arwen I'd be running back down the steps...

No no, they would have to pay me $125,000 to take that painting.

Wink

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 1:03am

Post #17 of 59 (15021 views)
Shortcut
Take your pick! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren with a moustache, but no beard:

http://img-fan.theonering.net/...th_beren_luthien.jpg

Beren with a silmaril:

http://www.eldamar.my.link.pl/...leria/anke/beren.jpg

Beren with a stripper:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/...es/Beren_Luthien.jpg

Lots of Beren:

http://solstikkan8.tripod.com/beren.gif

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 1:04am

Post #18 of 59 (14938 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

that's the priciest one!

Beren IV
Gondor

Feb 18 2007, 1:14am

Post #19 of 59 (14957 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Aerin] Take your pick! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks - I found all of those, but I thought all of the Eissman paintings had a mustache and gotee. There were a couple I found on Rolozo that were really nice, only that they had facial hair. But thanks!

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 1:29am

Post #20 of 59 (15040 views)
Shortcut
Here's a beardless Beren! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Click image for larger version.)

Hey, you didn't say he had to be pretty...

Beren IV
Gondor

Feb 18 2007, 1:53am

Post #21 of 59 (14942 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reera the Red] Here's a beardless Beren! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beren looks good, Lúthien looks good... Melkor looks like he stepped out of the wrong pantheon! Tongue

Reera the Red
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 1:55am

Post #22 of 59 (14934 views)
Shortcut
But I love his forked tongue! [nt] [In reply to] Can't Post

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 2:06am

Post #23 of 59 (14933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Reera the Red] Here's a beardless Beren! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially like the cigarettes tucked into the rolled up sleeve of Beren's t-shirt. He's a hunk!Tongue

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 2:06am

Post #24 of 59 (14966 views)
Shortcut
Gah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hah, Beren actually looks normal in here... Luthien is still... green... and no human body (or elf body) can bend like that without breaking something. Morgoth is part... reptile. I suppose breeding dragons has some side effects...

Wow, looking at Beren and Luthien, I can only imagine what Dior looked like.

My LJ
My art site

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 3:13am

Post #25 of 59 (14942 views)
Shortcut
*WHAP!* [In reply to] Can't Post

There should be a new rule for the new boards:

NO EZPELETA ALLOWED!

*grabs Alka Seltzer*

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.