Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
FOTR~EE Appendices Discussions ~ Book to Script ~ Words into Images ~ Part II

Elven
Valinor

Apr 21 2009, 11:56am

Post #1 of 10 (957 views)
Shortcut
FOTR~EE Appendices Discussions ~ Book to Script ~ Words into Images ~ Part II Can't Post

Where is this Chapter on the Lord of the Rings Special Extended Edition?
Choose Movie Box: Fellowship of The Ring.
Choose Disc: Fellowship of the Ring - The Appendices: Part One: From Book To Script.
(It’s the 3rd disc in the box set)
Go put the DVD on J
The Menu will appear: From Book To Script (and the page will turn)
Choose: Visualizing the Story – press that.
Choose: Storyboards & Pre-Viz Making Words Into Images – press that.
Youre in! This entire chapter plays for approx 20 minutes.

Hi tornsibs Smile

Yesterday we discussed Storyboard sketches and the Storyboard process – in Part II we are going to look at how Peter advanced the storyboards to help expand his vision of the film using Animatics.

Making Words Into Images
Part Two - Visualizing the Story - Animatics

After the storyboards have been sketched with pencil, they are outlined and grey scaled so they reveal visual tones such as day and night, shadows and light – providing more information to the sketch. Then they are put together in sequence to form a running scene.

Peter then advanced the process a little further, and the storyboards were made into ‘moving pictures – or moving sketches’ as it were – Animatic ....

Peter Jackson:
“We made what we called an ‘animatic’ which was basically videotaping each frame of the story boards” ...

Christian Rivers:
“The storyboards are all digitized, edited together as the shots will or would be edited together in the film, and it’s basically, a little black and white 2D drawing version of the film itself.”
“You’re seeing the storyboards as they pace in the film, as you want them to pace in the film, and so you get a feeling for the progression of story .. and the pacing of the story telling”.

[inline "LOTR EE D3 Visualizing the Story Storyboard Pt2 Gandalf & children SB.jpg"]

As an example: Here we can see a storyboard sequence of Gandalf arriving at Hobbiton greeted by the children.

Adding Audio to the storyboards
Once the storyboards were prepared on video, Peter then got some actors together to play each characters role in the script, and their voices were taped in a recording studio. Then the voice tracks were edited in with the storyboard – other sound effects were added also – and music!

Peter Jackson:
(It)...” was looking at a version of like the Lord Of The Rings as almost like a comic book – with words ... and we put temp music with it” ...

An Animatic Storyboard sequence.
Here below, we can see a sequence of (videotaped) storyboards (left to right reading) - the Hobbit’s cooking scene from on top of Amon Sul. On the EE, this is a running film, here I have screen capped each frame and stuck them together to try and explain what is seen on the DVD. And if we had audio you could hear the actor’s voices saying the lines underneath the frames, and hear the sound effects.

(On the EE - The voice of one of the actors (V2) is a woman, which is surprising when you first hear it as I think this is Pippins voice in the film) ...

The Animatic Storyboards were also a great way for Peter to explain his vision to the cast.
Peter invited Elijah Wood and some of the guys to view the Animatic scenes he had put together.

Elijah Wood talks Animatics

Elijah Wood:
... “it was a trip to read the script and talk about the script and get ready for the process of making the film and then suddenly to see very rough compilation of those ideas put onto the screen, I mean in some ways we felt like we’d watched the film. What was great about that is the script was powerful enough that it actually came across – and it resonated in that rough form”.

Here is an Animated sequence of storyboards – (on the EE, these frames are paced like an edited scene would be) and these have sound effects and music added to them (though you’ll have to imagine the soundtrack, black speech, music, sound effects, at the moment – can you remember it?).

Frodo puts on the Ring under attack by Wraiths on Amon Sul:

So here we end Part Two: the look at our Animatic Storyboarding – tomorrow we discuss the next evolution of Peter and Christians storyboarding process – something which Peter had not tried before ...

Smile

But before we go, some questions ...

1. When you look at a sequence of animated storyboards, and knowing they helped Peter explain the scene to the actors, do you think this helped or hindered the actors performance?

2. Considering the film is in some ways almost perfect to some of the storyboard and animated scenes, do you think Peter is a perfectionist when it comes to his vision, or was he lucky to have the right people such as Artists and actors, to interpret and understand what he had developed through the storyboarding and visualization process?

3. Do you have any comments on the Visualization Process so far?

Thanks for joining in today – see you tomorrow.
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

(This post was edited by Elven on Apr 21 2009, 12:01pm)

Elven
Valinor

Apr 21 2009, 12:21pm

Post #2 of 10 (643 views)
Shortcut
Edit addition: Gandalf and Children Storyboard sequence in here ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Swishtail.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Apr 21 2009, 9:28pm

Post #3 of 10 (664 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for doing this, Elven!

My take is that the animatics were a big help to the actors, and saved a lot of rehearsal time. One thing that every actor has to do before performing is work out the blocking, that is, the actual positions of each actor, prop and scenery. This can take several hours as different things are tried. You have to be aware of who's in front of whom, eyelines-can Frodo look directly at Sam the way they are positioned?
These animatics solved the problems. That is largely why they look so similar to the finished product.
Just think the last time the family got together for a photograph. Everyone shuffled and shifted until the photographer was happy. And that's just one static picture. This took into account where they started and where they had to move to. Genius to do it this way!

It also gives the actors a chance to hear the lines spoken by someone else. Different emphasis changes the meaning in some cases. So they could try out new ideas without spending a lot of time on it. Without these methods, we might still be awaiting FOTR!Pirate

Thanks again, Elven!

Eruwestial

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Apr 22 2009, 12:36am

Post #4 of 10 (632 views)
Shortcut
Animatics [In reply to] Can't Post

1. When you look at a sequence of animated storyboards, and knowing they helped Peter explain the scene to the actors, do you think this helped or hindered the actors performance?

I think that it had to help. They could more quickly and directly get a sense of what the director was looking for.

2. Considering the film is in some ways almost perfect to some of the storyboard and animated scenes, do you think Peter is a perfectionist when it comes to his vision, or was he lucky to have the right people such as Artists and actors, to interpret and understand what he had developed through the storyboarding and visualization process?

I think both. I think that Peter is a perfectionist when it comes to his vision and that is one reason why he had the animatic made. But, on the other hand, how well would that have worked if he hadn’t had the right people?

Putting the animatic together must have actually been fun, I would think.

One more thing. The animatic Storyboard sequences really look terrific in your post! Smile

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 22 2009, 5:46pm

Post #5 of 10 (612 views)
Shortcut
It would never have occured to me before [In reply to] Can't Post

that one could not only make these drawings, but film them and put them together into sort of a film. But it makes sense - that way Peter (or any other director) could get a pretty good idea how it would look like. I guess it saves a lot of mistakes during filming.

Really fascinating what I am learning about filmmaking since I've fallen into Middle-earth! Smile

Helped. They got a much better idea of what Peter had envisioned and what he wanted them to do.

Both. And it shows, IMO, that he had thought things through very well even at this early stage and knew what he wanted.

See above!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Elven
Valinor

Apr 23 2009, 6:41am

Post #6 of 10 (605 views)
Shortcut
True ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think both. I think that Peter is a perfectionist when it comes to his vision and that is one reason why he had the animatic made. But, on the other hand, how well would that have worked if he hadn’t had the right people?

Im amazed that the actors got this so right - they were able to give Peter exactly what he needed - even where they stand and turn and physically move about - they're right on the spot.
I think Peter chose a great cast to get this done!

Cheers Ohiohobbit! Nice question!

Elven x

Swishtail.

Elven
Valinor

Apr 23 2009, 6:46am

Post #7 of 10 (605 views)
Shortcut
Great analogy ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just think the last time the family got together for a photograph. Everyone shuffled and shifted until the photographer was happy. And that's just one static picture. This took into account where they started and where they had to move to. Genius to do it this way!

It was genius indeed!
and I love the family portrait comparisson LOL!! I think we can all relate to that in some way - makes me think of Chritmas photos Crazy Laugh

Cheers Eruwestial37 Heart
Elven x

Swishtail.

Elven
Valinor

Apr 23 2009, 6:47am

Post #8 of 10 (605 views)
Shortcut
Thanks PL // [In reply to] Can't Post

Swishtail.

batik
Tol Eressea

Apr 24 2009, 3:24am

Post #9 of 10 (634 views)
Shortcut
short answers--a bit shy of the tech realm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think these were helpful for most of the actors involved. Getting that 'visual key' to what's coming up--I would see that as a plus.

A lucky perfectionist! How fortune that he had such vision and was able to have such talented folks aboard.

Elven
Valinor

Apr 25 2009, 4:17am

Post #10 of 10 (679 views)
Shortcut
Short .... [In reply to] Can't Post

but sweet! Smile Its all appreciated and nice to hear from you.

Thanks for joing in batik!

Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.