The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Is it just me?

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 19 2007, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 20 (685 views)
Shortcut
Is it just me? Can't Post

I fully expect the "Off Topic" part of the board to be where 90% of my time here is spent. I am pretty well done talking LOTR movies - except the Hobbit - and my favorite weekly features are all here. "Lost" "Movies of the week" and "what are you reading".

The new digs will enable more current events stuff to be brought to our collective attention and other movie, book and sundry entertainment stuff as well. I suspect topics here will change quicker than a runway model's outfits.

Cool

If we live in trying times, we must be the ones who try. If the future is looking dark, we must be the ones who shine.

Sherry
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 8:56pm

Post #2 of 20 (475 views)
Shortcut
Not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon it'll be closer to 95% of the time here for me. I rarely used to visit the reading room, movie or the Arena as it was. And gaming never interested me in my life.

I used to post on Main as that was where the OT and occasional of interest to me Tolkien threads were.

Like you I am pretty much done with talking the movies already made. I've said pretty much everything I can say on them. Same as with the books I've read. I'll enjoy a bit of Hobbit film chatter as and when it crops up though.

''Pooh!'' he whispered.
''Yes, Piglet?''
''Nothing,'' said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. ''I just wanted to be sure of you.''

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 9:24pm

Post #3 of 20 (475 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad this board exists. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how much I'll be posting in this forum, but if it keeps more people active on the boards, that can only help keep the Reading Room on people's radar. I'm certainly not exhausted of Tolkiena, though I have my slower moments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 19-25: The Hobbit.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 10:08pm

Post #4 of 20 (442 views)
Shortcut
Not just you at all [In reply to] Can't Post

On the old boards, I never visited the book and movie discussion places (they seemed so far away, for some odd reason), and basically the reason I kept on coming back was the fact that I could talk about nearly anything on "Main" with others.

And now, while I'm starting to visit the other boards, I am really glad that there is an OT board; I'll probably be here (and the new Main) the most.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 19 2007, 10:40pm

Post #5 of 20 (428 views)
Shortcut
Hey... [In reply to] Can't Post

change quicker than a runway model's outfits.

I just put this avatar on!
*hangs head*I know. It's sooo last week...
;)

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 20 (440 views)
Shortcut
RE [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I fully expect the "Off Topic" part of the board to be where 90% of my time here is spent. I am pretty well done talking LOTR movies - except the Hobbit - and my favorite weekly features are all here. "Lost" "Movies of the week" and "what are you reading".

The new digs will enable more current events stuff to be brought to our collective attention and other movie, book and sundry entertainment stuff as well. I suspect topics here will change quicker than a runway model's outfits.

Cool

I'm with ya! Evil

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 10:57pm

Post #7 of 20 (466 views)
Shortcut
No fair, FoP! [In reply to] Can't Post

You know what I'm talking 'bout!Heart

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 10:58pm

Post #8 of 20 (426 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You know what I'm talking 'bout!Heart

No, I have no idea what you mean. But don't bother telling me. Don't you have dinner to cook or something? Angelic

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 11:02pm

Post #9 of 20 (429 views)
Shortcut
This is some of the best laughs I've had all year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I should be cooking dinner. But you are much more entertaining.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 11:48pm

Post #10 of 20 (403 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes, I should be cooking dinner. But you are much more entertaining.

LOL, me too! Unfortunately, I really did have to step away to make dinner. Stinker!

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2007, 12:57am

Post #11 of 20 (407 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* [In reply to] Can't Post

This is where i'll probably be most of the time, too, at least until some definite 'Hobbit' news comes out. Although I am going to make more of an effort to post in the Reading Room. Really!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

Jester
The Shire

Feb 20 2007, 2:21am

Post #12 of 20 (394 views)
Shortcut
How *often* I'll be here is an open question [In reply to] Can't Post

especially this time of year (I'm swamped through the middle of may) and doing quite a bit of traveling this year, but when here Off Topic is likely where I'll be.

Jesters Rules to Live By #12: "Laughter may not be the best medicine, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than an HMO"

Elanor
Bree

Feb 20 2007, 4:26pm

Post #13 of 20 (390 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It saddens me to read that. Some of us - well, one of us... me - are recent comers to the films and are hoping for a bit of movie-chat...

"Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlorien?'"

Sherry
Rivendell

Feb 20 2007, 5:21pm

Post #14 of 20 (361 views)
Shortcut
There are a fair few here [In reply to] Can't Post

who frequent the movie board and happily discuss away. Although it is much quieter than in more recent times now the LOTR films have been out a few years, it ticks over :)

''Pooh!'' he whispered.
''Yes, Piglet?''
''Nothing,'' said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. ''I just wanted to be sure of you.''

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

SandWitch King
Rohan

Feb 20 2007, 5:28pm

Post #15 of 20 (370 views)
Shortcut
Well, it isn't a RULE, more of a suspicion [In reply to] Can't Post

We might be drawn out from time-to-time by enthusiasm, intelligence, wit or various other post characteristics. Don't despair! And, I think those of us 'off topic' are still a minority. Laugh

Once upon a time I was MrCere. I still am but this name is for posting and being part of the community while that one is for official business. 8-)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 7:35pm

Post #16 of 20 (344 views)
Shortcut
not just you [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty much done with discussing the books & the movies as well . . . after 7.5 years . . . but I do love the movie and book threads. I'll visit Main every day, but hang out here more.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Foe
Lorien

Feb 20 2007, 7:46pm

Post #17 of 20 (346 views)
Shortcut
I'm right there with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

This has the potential to be one of my very favorite places to hang (yet again).

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2007, 10:46pm

Post #18 of 20 (329 views)
Shortcut
Oh, don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

There are still plenty of us here who cannot stop talking about either books or movies *g* I've only been a Tolkien fan for... eh, 6 years now, I think. I still have the rest of my life to go through *g*

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patty
Immortal

Feb 21 2007, 11:55pm

Post #19 of 20 (391 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious, Elanor... [In reply to] Can't Post

How is it that you are just now coming to the films? Were you turned off initially by all the hype and just didn't watch them, or are you just now reaching the age were you saw them for the first time?

Annael
Immortal

Apr 3 2015, 10:57pm

Post #20 of 20 (273 views)
Shortcut
la la la // [In reply to] Can't Post

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.