A summary of 'The Hobbit' casting discussion so far
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

sticklebat
Lorien

Apr 14 2009, 5:42pm

Post #26 of 383 (49542 views)
Shortcut
Great list... [In reply to] Can't Post

...some great insight & speculation you've drummed up...(yeah, we're ALL bored)...thx for adding something interesting & worthwhile reading...quite refreshing. I would love to see Brian Blessed as Thorin...just as Phillipa Boyens said of John Rhys- Davies,"...if you want to explain to an audience about the culture of Dwarves, you cast (John)as the Dwarf and he'll TELL you, he'll SHOW you, he'll bring that culture to life for you..." The same, I think can be said of Brian Blessed...I think, he IS Thorin.
Just as a side note...I don't need to see Russell Crowe in this movie...sorry, ladies n laddies...aren't there enough talking thrushes & ravens already?

The Party Tree
Lorien

Apr 14 2009, 5:53pm

Post #27 of 383 (45584 views)
Shortcut
Colin Firth? [In reply to] Can't Post

No Colin Firth for Bilbo? I thought that was a pretty popular one...

Nickey08
Bree

Apr 14 2009, 6:02pm

Post #28 of 383 (46232 views)
Shortcut
"Hobbit Idol" Anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fantastic and well-thought-out selection for Smaug!!!!! I'd have trouble choosing between any of those fantastic "pipes"!

It almost makes me wonder if poor old GDT should hold his own "Hobbit Idol" to try to find someone completely new that we've never heard or seen previously...Heart

http://www.myspace.com/nickeydrayer

sticklebat
Lorien

Apr 14 2009, 7:02pm

Post #29 of 383 (45938 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil... [In reply to] Can't Post

my personal favorite pick for Thranduil...Matthew Horne...surely everyone knows Thranduil is the father of Legolas...he even looks a bit like Orlando Bloom.
Attachments: News2_1.jpg (52.0 KB)
  SPOT-Mathew Horne.jpg (47.1 KB)
  Matthew-Horne--001.jpg (13.8 KB)
  MATTHEW-HORNE_280_415367a.jpg (33.4 KB)

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 14 2009, 7:17pm

Post #30 of 383 (42561 views)
Shortcut
That guy is very [In reply to] Can't Post

elvish looking!

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 14 2009, 7:18pm

Post #31 of 383 (45631 views)
Shortcut
What happened to Ian McShane [In reply to] Can't Post

for the voice of Smaug? I thought for sure I'd read that suggestion here. That's my personal favorite right now.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 14 2009, 9:19pm

Post #32 of 383 (46024 views)
Shortcut
I still say Rufus Sewell [In reply to] Can't Post

has the "dark of hair and grim of face" look of Bard...and might be considered 'hot' enough by those who care about such things in casting.

Ermanatar
The Shire

Apr 15 2009, 7:13am

Post #33 of 383 (43405 views)
Shortcut
GREAT LIST!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was great. I would like to see Donald Sutherland as Smaug, though. I think most of my choices landed on the list. We definitely need to keep this thread going until casting time. Just to see how close we came and how much GDT heard us.

Play LOTRO!!! Find me, Ermanatar Silverleaf of Dale on the Silverlode server!!!

Ermanatar
The Shire

Apr 15 2009, 7:31am

Post #34 of 383 (46018 views)
Shortcut
I would [In reply to] Can't Post

TOTALLY have to agree!!! Donald's voice has that air of confidence and power, truly! And yes, Martin Freeman simply IS Bilbo!!!

PLAY LOTRO!!! Find me, Ermanatar Silverleaf of Dale on the Silverlode server!!!

hobbitgoddess
The Shire

Apr 16 2009, 2:21am

Post #35 of 383 (47780 views)
Shortcut
The Good, The Bad, and the WTF's [In reply to] Can't Post

People keep suggesting people to cast for Bilbo to old or to young. He's...what, 50 in the books. In the movies you can make a character younger and it will still be accepted. But a teenager (looking at the person who suggested Liem Aiken)! Yeah hell no. Yes Elijah was 18...ish I think when he played Frodo, but that worked because Frodo is a whiny character anyway. Bilbo is a overly mature, scared-y cat. People need to stop dreaming that Bilbo will be sexy teenager who they can use in fanfictoin and start sticking closer to the books.

We've got the pretty boys (James McAvoy, and Tobey Maquire) the if-you-wanna-be-like-the-animated-movie (Toby Jones) and the evil Bilbo's (Tom Hollander). Some suggestions are kind scary. I like the unknown people like Reece Sheersmith.

But I am generally biased anyway. Martin Freeman is my favorite of the candidates. David Tennant wouldn't be bad either.

And lastly, who suggested Liam Aiken? ( I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I would like to be able to enjoy this movie too)

Hobbit = <3 Hobbits
Goddess = Ah! My Goddess

Have you hugged your hobbit today?

For Pony

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 16 2009, 4:51am)

Ermanatar
The Shire

Apr 16 2009, 4:39am

Post #36 of 383 (48300 views)
Shortcut
Surely you jest my good sir [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bilbo: William H. Macy

Gandalf: Clint Eastwood

Thorin Oakenshield: Ben Kingsley

Balin: Scott Grimes

Bombur: Michael Cudlitz

Dwalin: Rick Gomez

Gloin: Ross McCall

Bifur: Robin Laing

Bofur: Nicolas Aaron

Dori: George Calil

Nori: Rene Moreno

Ori: Douglas Spain

Oin: Eion Bailey

Kili: Craig Heaney

Fili: Mark Huberman

The Trolls: Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, and Martin Short

The Great Goblin: David Bowie

Beorn: Liam Neeson

King Thranduil: Stellan Skarsgård

Bard the Bowman: Joseph Fiennes

Smaug: Margaret Avery

Lord of the Eagles: Sam Elliot

Bilbo's Eagle: Zoë Wanamaker

Roac son of Carc: John Hurt

Master of Laketown: Wallace Shawn

Dain: Simon Callow

Drogo: Alec Baldwin

Primula: Geena Davis

Radagast: Patrick Stewart

Necromancer: Jonathan Pryce

Ermanatar
The Shire

Apr 16 2009, 4:50am

Post #37 of 383 (45548 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! I would TOTALLY have to agree with this! Some of the suggestions I've seen on here are simply balderdash. Bilbo is a HOBBIT, not some sexy hot teenage actor. Shia LeBeouf??? Liem Aiken??? Tobey Maguire??? C'MON PEOPLE!!! Bilbo isn't supposed to invoke dirty thoughts in the minds of young teenage girls folks.

In Reply To
People keep suggesting people to cast for Bilbo to old or to young. He's...what, 50 in the books. In the movies you can make a character younger and it will still be accepted. But a teenager (looking at the person who suggested Liem Aiken)! Yeah hell no. Yes Elijah was 18...ish I think when he played Frodo, but that worked because Frodo is a whiny character anyway. Bilbo is a overly mature, scared-y cat. People need to stop dreaming that Bilbo will be sexy teenager who they can use in fanfictoin and start sticking closer to the books.

We've got the pretty boys (James McAvoy, and Tobey Maquire) the if-you-wanna-be-like-the-animated-movie (Toby Jones) and the evil Bilbo's (Tom Hollander). Some suggestions are kind scary. I like the unknown people like Reece Sheersmith.

But I am generally biased anyway. Martin Freeman is my favorite of the candidates. David Tennant wouldn't be bad either.

And lastly, who suggested Liam Aiken? ( I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I would like to be able to enjoy this movie too)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 16 2009, 5:16am)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 16 2009, 5:05am

Post #38 of 383 (46976 views)
Shortcut
I would never [In reply to] Can't Post

call Frodo's character 'whiny'. It didn't come through so well in the movies, because that part was changed to build up Arwen, but in the book he defied all of the Nine at the Ford of Bruinen, even though he was already injured and weakened. Considering how experienced warriors cringed when they heard only *one* Nazgul, that was just amazing. And even in the movies, he was never whiny.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

sticklebat
Lorien

Apr 16 2009, 2:46pm

Post #39 of 383 (45507 views)
Shortcut
Reece Shearsmith... [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent comedic actor. He's brilliant in the British series 'The league Of Gentlemen'. If they decide to go younger for Bilbo, I could see him doing a great job...not too young, not too old...and not too pretty.
But I keep looking at Freeman and thinking..."THAT is the face of Bilbo..."
Attachments: 27486.png (123 KB)
  v4coqr.jpg (25.3 KB)
  reeceshearsmith5_396x222.jpg (18.3 KB)
  Reece-Shearsmith1.jpg (48.5 KB)
  stuart_pearson_wright_reece_shearsmith.jpg (27.5 KB)

Henoluin Elsilim
Rivendell

Apr 16 2009, 8:37pm

Post #40 of 383 (44706 views)
Shortcut
Great job! [In reply to] Can't Post

It must have taken you HOURS to put this all together! Thanks so much for doing it!
I wonder what the chances are of one of these people actually getting to play the roles they were picked for?
Again, thanks for putting this together!

~ Henoluin ~

Lord of the Rings

James McAvoy for Bilbo!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 16 2009, 8:58pm

Post #41 of 383 (46160 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be fun to look at this post-casting and see what happened.

We listed SO many people that somebody will surely be cast somewhere!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 16 2009, 10:40pm

Post #42 of 383 (46113 views)
Shortcut
Yep.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And now that Mike Mignola has left for NZ (and presumably has arrived there by now), I dropped a note to Parker on DTF, asking him what body part of Mr. Mignola's he could twist in order to get him to cough up some Guillermo news soon. TongueSmile

almas_sparks
Rohan

Apr 16 2009, 10:46pm

Post #43 of 383 (42705 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

http://cdn.buzznet.com/...terman-interview.jpg

You know it`s true!

Nazgul_Kidney

Apr 16 2009, 11:42pm

Post #44 of 383 (47728 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see Abe Benrudi and John Goodmen in there as dwarves. I am also free, for a cool cameo just sent the plane tickets. Brendon Gleeson, Robbie Coltrane also sound good.

I could see that fellow from nixon frost takin over for Christopher Lee. Dont know his name he was in Dave too.

I wouldnt mind seeing John Cusack as Bard though I can see Bale doing well.

I like the idea of Sean Pertwee as Bilbo. Though i like the idea of him playing his dads version of the Doctor in a retro 60's/70's scifi big budget Dr. Who movie much more.

Gorfindel
The Shire

Apr 17 2009, 6:11pm

Post #45 of 383 (44558 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone ever brought up... [In reply to] Can't Post

John Hurt? i think he would make an excellent Balin. He has worked with GDT before and I think he could portray Balins relationship with Bilbo incredibly well.

mulubinba
Rivendell

Apr 20 2009, 6:11am

Post #46 of 383 (45687 views)
Shortcut
Great list & Bard casting (Armitage) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for this list!

As for the casting of Bard, it is great to see Richard Armitage listed as one of the suggestions. (Unfortunately the photos on his IMDb page are not comprehensive). Here is a screencap from his latest role:

(This post was edited by mulubinba on Apr 20 2009, 6:14am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 20 2009, 8:13pm

Post #47 of 383 (46331 views)
Shortcut
No it's actually too early... [In reply to] Can't Post

to thank the academy that is!

I feel greatly honoured to be on the list as it were.

Still, my money remains on Thomas Kretschman.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 20 2009, 8:14pm)

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Apr 22 2009, 2:13am

Post #48 of 383 (52540 views)
Shortcut
Bryan Blessed looks like a good Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

Mae Govannen!
My Greetings!

The world is quiet here.

mykonos
Bree

Apr 22 2009, 5:40am

Post #49 of 383 (43771 views)
Shortcut
yay Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

Love it

In Reply To
Thanks so much for this list!

As for the casting of Bard, it is great to see Richard Armitage listed as one of the suggestions. (Unfortunately the photos on his IMDb page are not comprehensive). Here is a screencap from his latest role:

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 22 2009, 7:09am

Post #50 of 383 (44039 views)
Shortcut
Welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

Your screen name certainly caught my eye. I have been to the beautiful island of Mykonos, is your name related to the place?

Be welcome and enjoy TORn.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.