Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Merry's Return to the Shire Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 14 2009, 6:40pm

Post #1 of 12 (3339 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Merry's Return to the Shire Costume? Can't Post

Merry's clothing, of course, if gifted by the Rohirrim.

We start with a green shirt and brown trousers. The arms of the shirt have been quilted, either for warmth, decoration, or because they expected armor to be worn over them.

Over that, we have a red wool robe with the horsehead emblem embroidered on the front.

And a piece of armor around the neck (does anyone know the technical name for this?)

Topped with a green wool cloak, also with an embroidered trim (very few cloaks in ME lack decoration!). This is another half-circle cloak, I think. Also we have gloves and his sword.

The cloak is pinned on with emblems mimicking the golden sun of Edoras.

Ignore the grey sleeves here. Those belong to the shirt he wore into battle (and I promise we'll get to the armor, sometime!). The gloves are the same, though.

So, any thoughts?

AlleyCatScratch has many more pictures of this costume from ComicCon. However, I don't believe the description has been updated since the ROTK EE came out and some of their text is pretty far off the mark.

Did You Ever Notice? is a running series taking a look at the costumes and armor in LOTR. It follows neither a schedule nor any particular order. You can always find previous discussions over at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for April

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2009, 9:24pm

Post #2 of 12 (1904 views)
Shortcut
I think it's called a gorget.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 15 2009, 12:24am

Post #3 of 12 (1952 views)
Shortcut
How likely is it [In reply to] Can't Post

that a Rohirrim lord's fancy outfit would have a double horse-head emblem in a place that is covered by a scabbard's belt? Or is Merry's over-the-shoulder arrangement unique among the Rohirrim?

I presume the over-the-shoulder belt thingie is for ease of use while riding - pulling that sword out while standing would be a bit cumbersome.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Apr 15 2009, 4:03am

Post #4 of 12 (1926 views)
Shortcut
He looked so comfortable in this outfit ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Its quite remarkable - I love the design of the horsehead motif they stuck with throughout the film - its so elegant. Its even on the gloves!! Very cool!

Just reading Atuaaha's post on why the chest motif is covered has me puzzled as well - seems a shame to cover it over, but then again Merry is coming back into the Shire as a soldier of Gondor and not a model of the latest ME Spring Fashion collection.Wink He nees to show his sword - he earned it.

Love the piece of armour around the neck too.

Thanks Arwen's Daughter!
Cheers
Deleece x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I wonít write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 15 2009, 4:05am

Post #5 of 12 (1902 views)
Shortcut
I really like the gloves! [In reply to] Can't Post

All of it's nice, of course, but those gloves are way cool...

And is it just me, or is this outfit particularly well accessorized? Everything just seems to fit together so well on this one!

Colors are nice, too. I would think Dom would have liked wearing this...

Weaver

batik
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2009, 4:31am

Post #6 of 12 (1910 views)
Shortcut
I think this is my favorite so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

of the return to the Shire costumes. Both Frodo and Sam's were impressive but this one--I like looking at the most. I do wonder why Merry's shirt is much more 'finished' that the other two. And do you know the purpose of the ends of the sleeves being laced? Is it just to be more 'fitted'? I like that detail.
The red robe (looks more like rust on my screen) looks great with the shade of green in his shirt and cloak. (Dang! Why aren't cloaks worn these days!) Love the detail of the cloak's trim.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 15 2009, 5:10am

Post #7 of 12 (1945 views)
Shortcut
I believe all the Rohirrim wore their swords this way [In reply to] Can't Post

And if it's not a sword covering that emblem then I suppose the shield would, as well.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 15 2009, 5:18am

Post #8 of 12 (1937 views)
Shortcut
I have some theories [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do wonder why Merry's shirt is much more 'finished' that the other two.

Sam and Frodo's costumes are made of a silk velvet, which is a very expensive fabric. It's often priced for twice the price of the fabric for Merry's shirt. I suspect that Ngila chose to cut corners on the undershirts, though it's possible that Merry's shirt was made with a different over garment in mind, one that might show more of the undershirt.

In Reply To
And do you know the purpose of the ends of the sleeves being laced? Is it just to be more 'fitted'? I like that detail.

I'm guessing that the sleeves are laced to make them more fitted to that they'll fit under the gloves more easily. Too much bulk under the gloves could make them move around during filming or just look bulgy.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 15 2009, 6:25am

Post #9 of 12 (1898 views)
Shortcut
No I never noticed this costume :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's way cool. Those horse motifs are so elegant and seemingly ubiquitous... just look at those gloves Smile It's a very beautiful costume overall, the colours complement each other so well, the designs are just right, and it all fits together perfectly. I'd love to wear this one Sly

Thanks again AD. I know I don't contribute enough to these discussions, but I sure do lurk a lot Wink

Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with the dogs? You are but a lesser son of greater sires!

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 15 2009, 2:03pm

Post #10 of 12 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the consistency of the motifs, and the colors.

That sleeve drawstring looks like it could get a bit annoying or distracting though. Wouldn't you always find yourself playing with it and wrapping it around your fingers?

"I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it."

Artanis
Rohan

Apr 15 2009, 8:01pm

Post #11 of 12 (1887 views)
Shortcut
I do love [In reply to] Can't Post

....I do love the look/feel of the Hobbits as they come back to the Shire. The cloak, the gloves, the sword...he just looked perfectly grand - but still sweet Merry Smile.

Oh and I love the sleeves on the quilted shirt...yes ideal for twiddling! Laugh

Artanis

Reading: Beth Moore Bible study

Listening: Complete Fellowship of the Ring Soundtrack and the BBC Dramatization LOTR

Random Delights: Tea, Chocolate and TORN

(This post was edited by Artanis on Apr 15 2009, 8:02pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 19 2009, 4:06pm

Post #12 of 12 (1839 views)
Shortcut
Oh... the detail! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shamefully, I never have studied Merry's costume he wore home. Until now, I never appreciated the detail of the design and embroidery. The colours are Rohan. The style is Rohan. He's a living part of Rohan now brought to the Shire along with Gondor and the Elves.

I love the design on his front and the armour around his neck.

Ya know... every time I stop and really look at your costume posts, the posts on the films and book... I find myself getting teary and sort of homesick. It's hard to explain, but these posts of yours where we stop and really appreciate the artistry, effort and love that went into the simplest things warm my heart and help keep the awe alive.

Thank you so much.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.