Sam Raimi speaks a bit about "The Hobbit"

CAhobbit
Rohan

Apr 17 2007, 3:50am

Post #1 of 19 (11647 views)
Shortcut
Sam Raimi speaks a bit about "The Hobbit" Can't Post

Hopefully this wasn't already posted.

Raimi has made an 'on the record' comment regarding him possibly directing "The Hobbit".

Raimi’s name has been floated in connection with The Hobbit ever since a very public dustup between Peter Jackson and New Line chairman Bob Shaye left the Lord of the Rings prequel without a director. Raimi went on the record for the first time about his potential involvement in the project during an exclusive interview with EW’s Steve Daly for the magazine’s Summer Preview issue, on stands Friday: “Peter Jackson might be the best filmmaker on the planet right now. But, um, I don’t know what’s going to happen next for me right now. First and foremost, those are Peter Jackson and Bob Shaye’s films. If Peter didn’t want to do it, and Bob wanted me to do it—and they were both ok with me picking up the reigns—that would be great. I love the book. It’s maybe a more kid-friendly story than the others.”

Full article is here: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20035161,00.html

I would like to make an 'on the record' comment as well and say...if there was anyone I would love to direct this film it would be Raimi. I really love his style and frankly to see Bruce Campbell in a 'Hobbit' movie would be geek overload for me. Laugh

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 17 2007, 5:15am

Post #2 of 19 (9456 views)
Shortcut
And is that also an indication [In reply to] Can't Post

that if Raimi does come on board, that his 'Hobbit' will be skewed toward the child demographic?

Hmmm....

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Apr 17 2007, 6:07am

Post #3 of 19 (9462 views)
Shortcut
"Mary Jane" says.. [In reply to] Can't Post

she wouldn't come back without her director and her co-star. Fan's aren't stupid. It would be a flop.

Uh, yeah, MJ. That's how I feel about The Hobbit without PJ.

At home, amongst the Mallorn trees.

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Apr 17 2007, 7:23am

Post #4 of 19 (9475 views)
Shortcut
Feeling cranky! [In reply to] Can't Post

It always irks me when someone mentions Hobbit and the other words, "Kid story" or "kid friendly"
Yes, the Hobbit is lighthearted, no this is not a juvenile tale only appreciate by children.
*grumble, grumble* Unsure

On a lighter note.....

Please, for all that is right in this world, would for the sake of one fan; I respectfully request PJ get off his duff and take over the movie version of this!? It is the only way I want to see the Hobbit on the big screen!

Argh! Laugh

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 17 2007, 8:01am

Post #5 of 19 (9428 views)
Shortcut
Kid friendly [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't necessarely (sp? too early for such long words) imply that grown-ups can't enjoy it. It's just another way of saying that there'll be no sex but lots of blood :-)

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Apr 17 2007, 8:18am

Post #6 of 19 (9470 views)
Shortcut
Unless I read LOTR correctly... [In reply to] Can't Post

"It's just another way of saying that there'll be no sex but lots of blood :-) "

There's plenty of blood and death in the big book. Of course you're probably right, Sam is letting people know he'll stay true to the nature of the book.. I'm just thinking... Meh!... You go direct it if you want, I'll always have the Hobbit as I imagine PJ would direct it with the two Ian's starring in it.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 17 2007, 9:12am

Post #7 of 19 (9447 views)
Shortcut
Rami has gone up in my opinion of him [In reply to] Can't Post

if for no other reason than the honour he pays to Peter AND Shaye. He's a fan of the book, too... which is very very cool. But still... IF he were to direct it, I'd still want to see Peter collaborate with MGM and do his very own adaptation. For the story NOT to be completed intact and with the look and feel of The Lord of the Rings, I'd feel cheated and sad forever... and ya'll know that'd be true!!!! *twitch*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 17 2007, 9:58am

Post #8 of 19 (9445 views)
Shortcut
Well,he has a point about it being kid-friendly [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is basically a children's book. It's far simpler in plot and style than LOTR. I have no problem with Raimi or anyone else describing it as a kid-friendly book or film-to-be. I do have a problem with people who class LOTR as a children's book. It's not. It's long, it's difficult, it's violent, it's deep.

I think Raimi would be a pretty good choice to direct The Hobbit if PJ can't make it. I love what he's done with Spider-Man.

Karekare Beach, NZ

IMG_0365

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2007, 12:57pm

Post #9 of 19 (9415 views)
Shortcut
As much as I want PJ to do 'The Hobbit' [In reply to] Can't Post

If things don't work out and another director does get the job, I hope it's Sam Raimi. I really think he could do the story justice, and I think he would stay true to the spirit of the book. He does seem a fanboy at heart!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

hasufel
Rivendell

Apr 17 2007, 3:08pm

Post #10 of 19 (9396 views)
Shortcut
absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

Rami would probably do a nice job with the Hobbit.

And my respect for him has gone up with comments like these.

But like you have said Gramma, I want them both.

Jackson needs to complete the mission and direct the two movies leading up to LOTR.

There is only one lord of the ring, and he does not share power!

Elven
Valinor

Apr 17 2007, 5:39pm

Post #11 of 19 (9396 views)
Shortcut
Throws 20 cents in the Palantir ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well the Palantir says ...
That there's still a sense of great arogance and ego surrounding this situation
Things maybe under way (very preliminary) - but against all good advise.
Rami may have taken his oath to do his best, but he is just one small part, and is under strict codes, which gives him little support or room to move, actually it probably scares him - and he'll be looking for support - but what stands in his way is PJ's LoTR.
He's been given some seal of approval - the Crown so to speak ...and the 'blessing' of the possibility.
If this even gets off the ground, there is a sense of watching ones back, and the atmosphere is very unstable.
He might put out the call for help and this project might need some 'aid' but none will come - too late mate!
News will come through the ranks about this from someone who has a keen insight and is prepared to jump at letting other know, but there are those who are aware on the side line, and who have little hope about this new approach.
*ting*

Now my own opinion -
Look kiddies - the ponies are being run down and burnt to death by the dragon, and now he's eating them!
Phtt! poor snails.
Look at the blood and gunk from those spiders - ouch! one just got stabbed in the eye - that one has now only 3 legs!
Is they Elven guard *p*ssed or what!
Are those dwarves bathing all nekked!!
WOW - great shot - got that White Hart right through the kneck!
you get my drift ...

Wink

SILVERCHAIRS Daniel Johns gets the crowd going at the 'Big Day Out Festival' at Minas Tirith.

"Never wash your name in hot water Elvenesque - it shrinks!" said the Gaffer.
Tolkien was a Capricorn!
..All we are saying ..Is Give Pete A Chance" ...

Patty
Immortal

Apr 18 2007, 2:04am

Post #12 of 19 (9330 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

what was that?

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2007, 3:28am

Post #13 of 19 (9335 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you on all points... [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2007, 3:39am

Post #14 of 19 (9316 views)
Shortcut
Well, didn't quite [In reply to] Can't Post

get your drift!... Shocked

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Elrondius

Apr 18 2007, 6:11am

Post #15 of 19 (9375 views)
Shortcut
If Raimi Does The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

The burning question remains....will Ian McKellan return as Gandalf, will Hugo Weaving make an appearance as Elrond and will Ian Holm sign on as well?

Hobbit would not be the same without any of these actors, especially McKellan!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 18 2007, 8:09am

Post #16 of 19 (9398 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The burning question remains....will Ian McKellan return as Gandalf, will Hugo Weaving make an appearance as Elrond and will Ian Holm sign on as well?

Hobbit would not be the same without any of these actors, especially McKellan!

Holm was certainly perfect in LotR, but he's pretty old to be doing all the stuff required in The Hobbit. And for box office reasons as well, I think they'll want someone younger. It would be cool to see him used as a framing device, though, with the Red Book telling the tale.

McKellan's a must, for sure.

Queen Mary II approaching Honolulu harbor
February 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

elostirion74
Rohan

Apr 18 2007, 3:57pm

Post #17 of 19 (9352 views)
Shortcut
Yes, why not give Raimi the benefit of the doubt? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam Raimi is not a director I'm so familiar with that I could say whether he will be great or dreadful as director of
the Hobbit. The one Spiderman Film I have seen I liked, but in general that is not my type of movie story, so I haven't seen any other of those films. I guess he could do at least a quite nice job with the Hobbit if he is a fan and
is able to collaborate with the right people for the movie.

If I were more strongly attached to PJ's solutions and visions for the places and actors in LoTR, I guess I would be more suspicious of anyone else directing the Hobbit, although the Hobbit is a quite different story from LoTR, the places are different, many of the characters are not the same. As for me I'd like to see a different Rivendell & Elrond for instance or see a film with a different storytelling rhytm than what PJ seems to prefer. Apart from that I also cannot see why there should be only one person/team of persons able to interpret Tolkien successfully.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 18 2007, 5:42pm

Post #18 of 19 (9362 views)
Shortcut
I can't speak for others, but for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't doubt that Sam Raimi could do a good job. I do enjoy the Spiderman franchise-the way he's realized the world as well as the performance he has pulled from the actors.
But for The Hobbit I'd like continuity to the world and story as already partially realized. If Raimi had done LotR I'd say I'd like the continuity of Raimi. As it is, I'm adamant about the continuity to Peter Jackson's already established work.
So, it's not that I don't give Raimi the benefit of the doubt-I like his work. And I'm not one who says she won't go see it if someone else directs it. But certainly it would be a rain on my parade. And once is all I'd give it, not the (um hum, "excessive" ) number of times I went to see Jackson's Middle-earth.

elostirion74
Rohan

Apr 19 2007, 3:59pm

Post #19 of 19 (11318 views)
Shortcut
what kinds of continuity problems do you fear most? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for replying, and a nice reply at that:) I'd like to hear what you fear most to lose in terms
of the continuity between LoTR and The Hobbit.

I believe Bilbo needs to look younger, so I would expect that
Ian Holm for instance won't reappear at any rate. As for myself I would miss PJ's Hobbiton and the Shire, because he did that so well. It will be difficult to pull off Gollum as well without Andy Serkis. Jackson ought to do a great Beorn as well, since he knows how to bring in the old Norse building style. Apart from that I find the Hobbit to be so different from LoTR, both in level of detail, settings, characters, plot, that I don't really fear there will be so many issues with continuity, although of course the general style of another director's Middle Earth will be different.

I have seen Jackson's LoTR an excessive number of times as well. I don't know if I would see the Hobbit as often as LoTR simply because there is not the same depth and wealth of detail to the story, although I do like the themes Tolkien explores in the second part of the book and his way of doing it. The Hobbit requires a different approach from LoTR in order to succeed and I guess I'm just looking forward to see what someone - whoever that is - will make of it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.