Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A word on prioritizing and making changes

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 8:17pm

Post #1 of 16 (579 views)
Shortcut
A word on prioritizing and making changes Can't Post

As the long weekend in the U.S. comes to a close, the new boards are up and running and it's nice to see everyone settling in! Laugh

We'll be looking further into various suggestions and questions, but the turnaround time will slow down due to RL. Also, at this point, we need to start prioritizing changes based on the following criteria:

1) How many people are requesting them and,
2) How easy the change is to make.

No. 1 is self explanatory and we'll try accomodate as best we can. However, it's essential that No 2. start being an important future qualifier. If a request is easily made by changing settings already available in gforum, they will take priority. If a request requires tweaking the underlying code, we're going to be very hesitant to make such changes from here on out.

Every change we make to the code increases the probablility that future upgrades will be difficult and painful to make. We've already tweaked it a lot to get it to look and act as much like the old TORn boards as possible. But, a very important part of why we went with new boards is to be able to upgrade them in the future. We don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot and end up in five years with creaky old boards we can't upgrade. So, while some changes may be physically possible to do, we may choose not to do them.

Thanks for understanding. You're all a most wonderful bunch of Hobbits! (and orcs, and elves and....) Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Sherry
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 8:32pm

Post #2 of 16 (440 views)
Shortcut
Truthfully Altaira [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I want to give you feedback right now, I am holding out a while longer. I felt it better to just get on with things, use it for a week or so, see how its all working.

I'm used to KIKn (and other forums) and so am far from lost here, infact, I'm finding it all straightforward enough and no problems navigating around, posting, editing profile and so on.

But I do have some things I'd like to address here once I have given it a proper whirl. I didn't think there was any point in saying about it until its had time for me to get used to it all. So I'm sitting tight and not saying much till later in the week when I feel I can properly comment on things having given it a decent shot.

Thank you for everything so far :)

Hmmm, just one thing, as I am here and I know this is one thing that won't change, having disliked them on KIKn and now really disliking them here... the smilie pack. The most hideous set of smilies I've ever seen on any forum anywhere. I'm not able to bring myself to use them now. I think I tried, but did not like seeing them in my posts. If there is a way to disable them I've yet to find it, but its the one thing I'd change right here and now. Or turn off.

''Pooh!'' he whispered.
''Yes, Piglet?''
''Nothing,'' said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. ''I just wanted to be sure of you.''

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2007, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 16 (421 views)
Shortcut
I second that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... about the smilies, I mean.

I've noticed that on several other boards (in varying formats), the admins would add a new smiley on now and then when the members found it both useful and entertaining. I wonder if that would be just as easy to do on this board.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 9:31pm

Post #4 of 16 (433 views)
Shortcut
As one of the ones who has given some feedback [In reply to] Can't Post

let me say that I am blown away by these boards (I dreamed about them again last night) and my suggestions are only the kind of feedback I'm used to giving in my writers' group: ideas that the person may or may not decide are worth acting on.

I appreciate so much the way you've gone out of your way to make these boards so that they can function like the old ones. I have my setting on threaded mode with the post I've just looked at appearing at the top, so it looks almost exactly like the old boards. But I love that I can also select flat mode temporarily, to see a whole conversation, or compress the board so I only see the initial post in each thread. So many great options!

If you never change another thing on these boards I will be very, very happy with them. If you end up tweaking, great, but you've already done such a wonderful job that I have hesitated to give my feedback. I only decided to because my experience at my writers' group is that I want feedback, whether I agree with it or not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 9:32pm

Post #5 of 16 (422 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect all this feedback has been overwhelming, but you're off to a great start, and I really appreciate all you and your comrades have done, from the many tweaks you made by request over the weekend to the countless helpful little touches you included from the start -- the pinned discussion schedule in the Reading Room, for instance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Feb. 19-25: The Hobbit.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 10:20pm

Post #6 of 16 (424 views)
Shortcut
These boards are awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for all of your work, Altaira. I really, really like these new boards.

Frankly, my only "complaints", for lack of better term, is how new messages to a thread are at the bottom of the forum screen (as Aunt Dora pointed out a few threads ago), and the fact that it took me forever to find the full member list (the link is too small!) :P But honestly, these boards are really great. and as complaints go, those are nothing and I can live with it *g*

So yea, great job!

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 10:41pm

Post #7 of 16 (408 views)
Shortcut
RE [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I join the others in voicing my enthusiastic approval of these new boards. I think they're great, and you've done a wonderful job. There are a few things I would do slightly differently if I were king, as I mentioned in other threads, but I'll just have to suck it up. Overall, I give the new boards a solid A.

PS - these smilies are OK, but I too would like to see a more exotic set. Laugh

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Sherry
Rivendell

Feb 19 2007, 11:16pm

Post #8 of 16 (404 views)
Shortcut
If anything [In reply to] Can't Post

it was the old RPG format that was unusual for showing new posts at the top when replying to a header post. All the threads ran down the board, but the replies to them went in reverse. And then of course, the sub threads had their own run downwards.... just odd, when you stop and think about it lol

When I sit back and look at this new forum, and see everything running downward, threads, replies and sub threads, its far more easy on the eye. Yes, its a little strange to adjust to for some, but it is the norm in forum setups. At least the ones similar to this that I have frequented the past few years.

I think having the flow of the board going all the same way is far more logical in the long term here. Maybe not right now, for those stuck in RPG mode, but think of all the future users out there who may sign up. The standard form out there nowadays is not RPG. I don't think it'll do this forum any favours having one thing opposite to everything else. Having thread replies in reverse, but not in a sub thread, on a thread would be confusing to those who have never seen an RPG board.

I know people have put an enormous amount of effort into getting this forum set up to work as much like the old RPG as possible, but I personally feel there are some things better left behind. I think moving with the times is good.

I'm still sitting on the fence and giving myself time to get used to everything here. Maybe because I've not had to 'adapt' so much to using this forum as others, I find the transition easier than some, but I maintain that not everything that the old board had should be incorporated here. Wasn't that the point of changing formats, to combine the new with the old? If we make it exactly the same, it loses any benefit of change.

All just thoughts and rambles :) Or maybe I am missing the point by miles. Its late, I'm tired.

''Pooh!'' he whispered.
''Yes, Piglet?''
''Nothing,'' said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. ''I just wanted to be sure of you.''

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 12:24am

Post #9 of 16 (404 views)
Shortcut
I always saw threads backwards [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it was the old RPG format that was unusual for showing new posts at the top when replying to a header post. All the threads ran down the board, but the replies to them went in reverse. And then of course, the sub threads had their own run downwards.... just odd, when you stop and think about it lol

When I sit back and look at this new forum, and see everything running downward, threads, replies and sub threads, its far more easy on the eye. Yes, its a little strange to adjust to for some, but it is the norm in forum setups. At least the ones similar to this that I have frequented the past few years.

I think having the flow of the board going all the same way is far more logical in the long term here. Maybe not right now, for those stuck in RPG mode, but think of all the future users out there who may sign up. The standard form out there nowadays is not RPG. I don't think it'll do this forum any favours having one thing opposite to everything else.

Well, I was always in the minority on the old boards because, while I loved the simple threaded format and almost everything else about that old board, I disliked the way the responses threaded UP, instead of DOWN. I even tried to convert a few other members by explaining how I set my defaults to view the responses the "correct" (to my mind) way, but mostly they just smiled tolerantly. Blush I agree with you: this is the logical way and hopefully my Tornsibs will all get used to it. I really prefer it, and am very happy to see it here. a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 12:30am

Post #10 of 16 (398 views)
Shortcut
spoken like the fearless leader you are! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, I echo everyone else: I have no major complaints about anything on this new board, and any minor quibble I have will soon just be something I'm used to!

I value being here, and I appreciate beyond words the hard work you (and everyone involved) did to get them up and running and to preserve the threading ability! I can learn everything else.

It's like when you move into a new place and keep reaching for the bathroom light on the wrong wall. EVENTUALLY you reach for the right wall and then it become second nature.

We'll get there.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Feb 20 2007, 1:25am

Post #11 of 16 (403 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that subject line probably makes no sense, but my effort to describe whether my old-board settings made threads go up or down also turned out to make no sense. I like to think I see the world as a.s. does in most things, though, so me too.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 11:49am

Post #12 of 16 (379 views)
Shortcut
oh, you are so sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like to think I see the world as a.s. does in most things, though, so me too.

God help you.

Heart a.s.

"an seileachan"

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 20 2007, 11:55am

Post #13 of 16 (393 views)
Shortcut
Oh, BTW: THANKS THANKS THANKS for the subject line default change [In reply to] Can't Post

obviously changed to "empty"...and a reminder pops up, too. I'm sure this is addressed elsewhere but I am losing track of all the posts (is this place MUCH bigger than the old place, or am I imagining that??), so I wanted to make sure you heard my note of thanks for this. It is very helpful and appreciated.

Heart

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 1:46pm

Post #14 of 16 (372 views)
Shortcut
Amen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I use threaded mode, so I really notice the difference. Much better!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Stapper
Lorien

Feb 20 2007, 1:47pm

Post #15 of 16 (372 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

It makes things a lot clearer

Ciars
Rohan

Feb 20 2007, 6:46pm

Post #16 of 16 (412 views)
Shortcut
A great job... [In reply to] Can't Post

has been done by you and all the other ptb like any new innovation there's bound to be glitches along the way, but I know that they'll all be addressed at some stage. Thanks again for the boards -oh and the help with my footer!

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.