Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
PROPS, April 4 : 2009 Elrond's study

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 4 2009, 7:51pm

Views: 1085
Shortcut
PROPS, April 4 : 2009 Elrond's study Can't Post

My intention this week was to focus on the FOTR extended scene where Elrond and Gandalf are discussing the history and potential fate of the Ring. This starts in a very open air balcony location and then moves into a more enclosed location that has desks and writing implements.

In my investigation of various sources, I learned that this spot, the Council area, and the statue holding the Shards of Narsil are all part of "Elrond's Chambers". I hadn't realized that they were all so close in location. I hadn't thought about it much, I guess. But I wouldn't have been surprised to learn that they were three completely different locations. I decided to keep my post focued on what we see in this one scene and leave the other two areas for future discussions. I can't say that this area is officially called the 'study' but it worked for me.

My first screencap is when Elrond walks from the balcony area where he and Gandalf first begin talking towards the study. You can see Gandalf still on the balcony. You can see bookshelves.

larger version

Next we see Elrond walking into the more enclosed area. I think my screen is darker than some folks but I needed to lighten this up a bit to see anything.

larger version

It's hard in this shot to make out a lot, I'd have to watch it on a big screen to see what's visible there. But, besides the candles, I notice an inclined desk with what appears to be feathered quills with books piled nearby. There also seems to be a tablecloth on a table and a chair (?) near it. I have a slightly larger image I'll post in a reply.

The camera pans around to catch Elrond:

larger version

On the left, you can see the book that was visible on the inclined desk. We also see scrolls. Do you think these are texts in scroll form (rather than bound pages form) or maybe they're maps. It's interesting that all the candles are lit but it seems to be quite bright outdoors. Granted, it would be darker in the enclosed area but why keep candles lit during the day when no one is around working?

The camera continues to pan.

larger version
Now we're seeing a bit more of the desk facing the one we saw before. Quills? Ink bottles? (When I was young, I used to sit at desks that had holes in them for ink bottles). Behind Elrond is a bust on a tall display table.

So besides wondering about the candles, I also wonder about the functionality of having all this so open. If you were to walk up the stairs on the right side of that image, you'd be right there in the Council area. If you were to walk up the stairs to the second floor that you see on the far wall behind Elrond, you'd be on the level with the Shards of Narsil. You can see the statue holding them in other images and it's right above the arch you see a third from the left edge of the last image.

I've learned that even the slightest breeze will send paper flying and surely this area gets breezes. I would also think it would rain and blow here.

I have close up images of some of these items that I'll put in a reply post.

PROPS: (1) acronym for Personal Reflections On Props and Sets; or (2) acronym for Perfectly Reasonable Occupation for People on Saturdays; or (3) all cap version of the word 'props'
A series of discussions about props conceived and organized by Frederica Bolger wherein discussion leaders are "free to choose their own topic and format, which could be a whole environment, an especially interesting item, a set of related items (boats, doors, jugs), or a comparison... possibilities are endless."

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Subject User Time
PROPS, April 4 : 2009 Elrond's study Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 4 2009, 7:51pm
    slightly larger views Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 4 2009, 8:06pm
        Again with the open flames and flammable items... batik Send a private message to batik Apr 4 2009, 8:41pm
            lattice work Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2009, 3:26am
        First of all.... the_argonath Send a private message to the_argonath Apr 8 2009, 6:48pm
    So, he has his own Chambers, does he? weaver Send a private message to weaver Apr 4 2009, 11:14pm
    If I could only get in there... simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Apr 5 2009, 1:12am
    I love this part of Rivendell grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 5 2009, 2:50am
        great image Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2009, 3:31am
            Here's a pic of Gandalf and Elrond grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 6 2009, 10:35am
                okay Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2009, 1:25pm
                    True! I wonder who was invited? ;) // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Apr 7 2009, 10:24am
    I love those bookshelves, but Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Apr 5 2009, 4:36am
        obscured books Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2009, 3:35am
    Want! Want! Want! Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Apr 5 2009, 5:06am
        thanks for the 'perspective' on drawing and lettering! // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2009, 3:36am
    Ahhh! Elven Send a private message to Elven Apr 5 2009, 1:27pm
        Here you go. OhioHobbit Send a private message to OhioHobbit Apr 5 2009, 6:33pm
            wow Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 5 2009, 7:03pm
            thanks for the floorplan! weaver Send a private message to weaver Apr 6 2009, 3:56am
            OMG!! That is soooo cool!! *Elven bows* ... Elven Send a private message to Elven Apr 6 2009, 11:30am
                You’re welcome. OhioHobbit Send a private message to OhioHobbit Apr 6 2009, 4:22pm
    So if Elrond's study is openly connected to Elberbeth Send a private message to Elberbeth Apr 5 2009, 5:08pm
        that is an interesting question. Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2009, 3:39am
    I wouldn’t mind a place like that. OhioHobbit Send a private message to OhioHobbit Apr 5 2009, 6:24pm
        dancing elves Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2009, 3:45am
            That's it!!! OhioHobbit Send a private message to OhioHobbit Apr 6 2009, 4:30pm
    Thank you so much Magpie... frederica bolger Send a private message to frederica bolger Apr 5 2009, 7:03pm
        no idea on the identity of that bust. // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 6 2009, 3:46am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.