The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Ring Con, Bonn (Germany) Oct. 2009

And back again
Rivendell

Apr 3 2009, 7:09am

Post #1 of 17 (888 views)
Shortcut
Ring Con, Bonn (Germany) Oct. 2009 Can't Post

I am considering going to my first convention ever but am a bit nervous about it.

Has anyone been to the German Ring Con? What's it like? What is there to do?

This year it's on the first weekend in October.

I am thinking of going as it's lonely being an LOTR fan here in Drizzledorf - I only know one woman who has seen and liked the films but she's not much up on things here and I'd like to breathe in some more Tolkien air than she can offer.

I will go there ... and back again.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 3 2009, 7:57am

Post #2 of 17 (502 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I've thought about going, but at the moment I have no idea if it will work out. Never been to one so far - in fact, only found out last year that this Con exists at all Crazy

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

And back again
Rivendell

Apr 3 2009, 8:00am

Post #3 of 17 (482 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe we could keep in touch and perhaps discuss if we go there together. I'm a bit nervous of going by myself. Don't know why but I've come over all shy. I probably won't go on the Friday afternoon but maybe the Saturday and/or Sunday. And if I go for the two days, then I'll just go backwards and forwards from home and not stay there overnight.

I live in Dusseldorf by the way (or Drizzledorf as I see it in the winter months). And my real name is Tina.

I will go there ... and back again.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 3 2009, 8:07am

Post #4 of 17 (680 views)
Shortcut
*waves* [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm Kirsten from Nürnberg Smile Yes, let's keep in touch and see what might be possible! Will PM you later, still at work and in a hurry.

Will have to stay overnight anyway, it's too far for me.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 4 2009, 8:50am

Post #5 of 17 (569 views)
Shortcut
I'm going [In reply to] Can't Post

I went last year for the first time. Just one day (only Saturday) and had a fantastic time. I put a report of my visit here at TORn, try this link.
This year I have a three day ticket and a hotelroom at the Maritim Hotel, so I won't miss any of the fun.
It is a really great gathering, I only met friendly people who where all hugh fans.

Last year they started opening RingCon also to other fan-domains (Pirates of the Carribean and Harry Potter). This year there are three actors from Twilight going to attend. There aren't many other guests announced yet (only Lory Dungley, Mrs. Bracegirdle), but since it is still half a year away, I must be patient and wait for more announcements. At the website of RingCon there is a bit going on about the other fan domains being there or not, but I myself don't mind it that much, I would like the emphasis to be LOTR, but I don't mind other domains (since I also like them).

If you are going, we should meet somewhere, would be great to meet another TORn-sib.

Btw, my real name is Annemarie and I'm from Geldrop in The Netherlands (not to far from Eindhoven).

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 4 2009, 1:39pm

Post #6 of 17 (493 views)
Shortcut
I am just wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

do you think it would be worth going when you have to be content with looking alone? Without understanding interviews and the like?

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 4 2009, 2:15pm

Post #7 of 17 (523 views)
Shortcut
That is a hard question [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never looked at it without having to miss my hearing.
There is of course a lot to see. There is a small market where you can buy various items (both fantasy and middle ages) and of course all the costumes. There where some exhibitions with items made by fans and the German Tolkien Society had a room for themselves with a small exhibition.
Some of the panels I think still would be fun if you only saw them, last year Jed Brophy did a "masterclass" in Orc-stuntmen, some audience members had to come up to the stage and act out various silly movements, and Shange Rangi's lesson in a Maori ritual, the Te Waka, is also possible without hearing, and of course the costume contest is mostly looking, althoug there where a few who also had some spoken parts, but the panel with John Rhys Davies was him sitting in a chair in the middle of the stage answering questions, so that wouldn't be much fun.
As I said, a hard one to answer. Maybe you could go just one day and see how you like it? Day tickets are even available at RingCon itself, so you don't have to buy in advance, and you can still wait to see what guests are going to attend, if just seeing them is already enough fun, even without the hearing.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 4 2009, 7:29pm

Post #8 of 17 (562 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much, Rosie! [In reply to] Can't Post

That helps a lot to get a better idea of what to expect. Masterclass for Orc-stuntmen *grin* With me as an Orc, the guys would probably have died laughing Wink It really might be worth a try, though probably not the whole three days.

And it's good to know that I don't need to book soon to get a ticket at all and have time to think it over. Thanks again!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 6 2009, 7:30pm

Post #9 of 17 (503 views)
Shortcut
You are welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

If you decide to go, please let me know. I would love to meet you and show you around.

Colleen Doran
The Shire

Apr 24 2009, 9:14pm

Post #10 of 17 (452 views)
Shortcut
Ringcon [In reply to] Can't Post

Ringcon is an absolutely wonderful show. I have been four times. The only reason I am not going this year is because I am going to the LOTR concert in New York city, which, I think, is the same weekend.

There is a lot to do: many panels, and events. A lot of the elves get together and have a gorgeous elf migration through the middle of the show, with banners flying and solemn faces. Very lovely.

The actors are often fairly accessible and hang out in the bars at night with fans, but will leave if things get too rowdy. Dancing, music, good food. The dealers room tends to be small and cramped and without much variety, so I don't do much shopping there.

There are often impromptu skits by the actors. That gets pretty hilarious.

Since I don't speak German, I was concerned about the language barrier, but had no problem. Almost everyone at the venue, including hotel staff, spoke English.

Have fun!

colleen

http://www.adistantsoil.com
http://www.colleendoran.com

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 24 2009, 9:17pm

Post #11 of 17 (427 views)
Shortcut
squeee [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just gotten myself a ticket for the LOTR symphony event in NYC as well. Woohoo.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

Colleen Doran
The Shire

Apr 24 2009, 9:22pm

Post #12 of 17 (429 views)
Shortcut
squeee [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just trying to pin family members down on the subject. No one is sure who wants to go yet, and I need to get tickets, soon!

http://www.adistantsoil.com
http://www.colleendoran.com

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 24 2009, 9:29pm

Post #13 of 17 (402 views)
Shortcut
We're all going Saturday night [In reply to] Can't Post

so hope you can make it then! It will be great to have you there.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 24 2009, 9:31pm

Post #14 of 17 (424 views)
Shortcut
Hey! I know who you are! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the avatar that prompted me to check your name (I did that before reading your email... that would have been easier!).

I'm sure you see the pinned thread for the FOTR Live symphony event: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=159698#159698

Be sure you introduce yourself properly in that thread. Everyone will be glad to meet you.

As you might tell, we're having a bit of a party here ourselves this weekend. Please jump in.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : CD Editions & Similarities Updates March 08
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Garfeimao
Rohan

Apr 24 2009, 10:26pm

Post #15 of 17 (415 views)
Shortcut
I'm on my own [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm just trying to pin family members down on the subject. No one is sure who wants to go yet, and I need to get tickets, soon!

I just checked the board with the Symphony thread in it, and there was one post with a bunch of names and seat locations and then tried to get seats near some of the people. I'm fine listening to the music on my own, it's the rest of the day and night that will be a blast with all the goofy TORnSibs that are around.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2009, 7:20am

Post #16 of 17 (483 views)
Shortcut
The two are one week apart [In reply to] Can't Post

RingCon is from 2 till 4 October and the NYC performance is on 9 and 10 October.
I know, since I'm going to both (oops).
I already registered for Ringcon at the last convention. So when I later on saw the information on New York, I first decided I wouldn't go. But then so much of the folks here are going, and there is so much more going on. I decided to skip my summerholiday and go to both. So one weekend I'm in Bonn, and the next I'm in New York, talking about traveling. But I can understand you don't do both, it is a lot of money.

Hopefully I will see you in New York and maybe another time in Bonn.

Colleen Doran
The Shire

Apr 26 2009, 3:02pm

Post #17 of 17 (572 views)
Shortcut
Too many shows [In reply to] Can't Post

My concern is not expense since my costs are usually covered by clients, my concern is being on the road for two weeks. I can't really get much work done that way!

The A Distant Soil Webcomic and Blog
Colleen Doran's Website

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.