The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Orthanc Tower - reference

62vampiro

Apr 2 2009, 8:15pm

Post #1 of 4 (3362 views)
Shortcut
Orthanc Tower - reference Can't Post

Hi all,
at the first time sorry for my bad language, but I'm writing from Europe (Italy).
I'm a 3D user (Maxon Cinema4D) and I'm looking for a good reference (for replicated it in 3D mesh) of Orthanc Tower. I haven't found nothing in the Web and I've trilogy films, but the shots are not very clear for my job.
Can you help me?
Thanks a lot

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2009, 8:58pm

Post #2 of 4 (3040 views)
Shortcut
I can't, but [In reply to] Can't Post

welcome to TORN! Hopefully someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.

What do you plan to use the 3D tower in? Are you creating a virtual world or your own film, or something else? (It sounds interesting!)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

orcbane
Gondor

Apr 2 2009, 8:59pm

Post #3 of 4 (3045 views)
Shortcut
Extended Version DVD Appendixes ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not sure what Maxon Cinema4D is, but guess a computer program. Anyway, do you have the Extended version DVD's of the films with the additional appendixes ? There are many decent photographs (not still shots) of costumes, miniatures, etc, that I have found useful in sculpting. I know there are pictures of Orthanc in it, but its rather hit or miss & you will have to see if it will help. They could be in the appendixes of the Fellowship of the Ring and/or Two Towers DVDs. I also use the large picture books published at the time of the films. There is one full page photo of the Orthanc miniature in the book 'The Making of the Lord of the Rings'. The detail is not super great but better then a moving shot certainly. Doing searches on various tolkien sites and the net in general might get you some more photo's. But I know what you are going through. I went thru it trying to draw the design of Helm's deep. Not as simple as it sounds. Oh, there's tons of pictures, but most are of the same few things, like the front gate, etc. Too bad you can't buy blueprints. Good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A new name I take to myself. Njarro-Huan

62vampiro

Apr 4 2009, 10:11am

Post #4 of 4 (3337 views)
Shortcut
Orthanc Tower - reference [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi,
thanks for your replies and compliments for this site. I visit it some times in the week for info, rumors etc...about Tolkien's news and about rumors of the movies. I'm a great Tolkien's fan and a great fan of the movies. The headmaster of the high school of my city ask me to make a little shortfilm (three-four minutes and one for each movies) about the cinematographic acting of Tolkien's books.
My first idea is a virtual walkthrough around Orthanc Tower. Cinema4D is a computer graphic application (like the other softwares in use in Weta Digital, for example).
Unfortunately I haven't the DVD Extended version (only the single DVD of the movies).

I also use the large picture books published at the time of the films. There is one full page photo of the Orthanc miniature in the book 'The Making of the Lord of the Rings

This is a good idea, thank you: I'll looking for these books or I'll looking for the DVD Extended version. Even if the pictures are not detailed, this is a good start for me.
Thanks a lot for your help and compliments again for this site. LOTR and TORN forever: I see always your precious notices about Tolkien's world.
Good job

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.