Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Rado City NYC Moot 2009 - Ringers Take Manhattan! --> Official Hotel Link inside the thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2009, 8:25pm

Post #126 of 565 (4606 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! That sounds fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm definitely going to try and see if that weekend works. If something happens that makes the journal really off-schedule, then I'm going to see if I can maybe change around the order again so that we can still have the option of taking it to NY if we want to.

Thanks, Aerin and a.s.! This makes me excited; I didn't think that I might actually get to see the precious before it got back to me! Laugh (not that I'm counting on it or anything, but the possibility is very cool!)

Traveling Journal Official Site
The journal is in Canada!!!

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

It’s always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 29 2009, 10:38pm

Post #127 of 565 (4507 views)
Shortcut
Hurrah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember meeting your mom at ORC and it would be great to see her again - and you too, of course Wink. Hope you can work it out!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 29 2009, 10:39pm)

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Mar 29 2009, 11:39pm

Post #128 of 565 (4545 views)
Shortcut
That's fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know the schedule is subject to change, and the website is a work in progress. If the journal happens to be in NYC during the moot, hopefully I can see it then (having a journal-viewing party is a great idea!), and I'll work on my page whenever it happens to get to me for that purpose. Smile

"In any case we did not kill him: he is very old and very wretched. The Wood-elves have him in prison, but they treat him with such kindness as they can find in their wise hearts."

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30 2009, 5:09pm

Post #129 of 565 (4536 views)
Shortcut
You know what.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm coming!!!!

After reading all this fun and excitement. And of course not able to withstand all the extras announced. I just bought a ticket for the Saturday night show: section ORCH5, row Q, seat 506.

I can't wait. Now I'm just going to be on the lookout for a great offer on a plane ticket.
And than off to New York, meeting all of you, enjoying the show and marvelling at New York.

I'm off to the Pollantir to fill out all the questions.

I'm excited!!!! *looking like a silly bouncing smiley*

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 30 2009, 5:16pm

Post #130 of 565 (4459 views)
Shortcut
I love how this is snowballing into a really great gathering. // [In reply to] Can't Post

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2009, 5:23pm

Post #131 of 565 (4506 views)
Shortcut
That's great! [In reply to] Can't Post

We should have a contest to see who's coming from the farthest distance. Smile I look forward to meeting you in person!

"...and back again."

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 30 2009, 5:32pm

Post #132 of 565 (4443 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really impressed by those willing to cross the ocean. gkgyver is from Germany.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30 2009, 6:00pm

Post #133 of 565 (4513 views)
Shortcut
Me also [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I didn't plan to go. But then reading all the extra Doug is announcing. And all the fun stuff being planned here. I just thought I had to go.
And of course I really look forward to seeing everybody from TORn, just putting a real face to a (not so real) name.

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 30 2009, 6:06pm

Post #134 of 565 (4488 views)
Shortcut
*PHEW* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info, Laera....that makes me a bit relieved. Though when I'm in town on the 24th I'd still love to meet you in some fashion, Smeagirl....but wait, if you're going to the show Sat. Oct 10, we'll all meet...

Oh wow! This *IS* starting to snowball into something great! And it'll be my first EVER moot, I've never met any sibbies before! I'm SO Excited!!

Though this starting to look for a place to stay for both events is going to be a pain in the tush....I hope I don't end up with an emergency on my handsUnimpressed
But I seem to have become an expert on planning trips on the run....God always comes to my aid, I guess....not the way to do things but my life for the past yr and a half has been one big gloopy mess....in a good way most of the time that is! Laugh

Will keep you all posted....

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Mar 30 2009, 6:07pm)

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2009, 7:46pm

Post #135 of 565 (4520 views)
Shortcut
Right. I really want to come!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmmm. I've been thinking alot about this! And I really really want to come! Now, the timing isn't great, seeing as I'm currently buying a house, but I haven't entirely ruled this out!

I may not do the actual concert, (I'm doing the Royal Albert Hall one in a couple of weeks), but I may come along anyway. I've always wanted to visit NY, and this seems like the best time to do it, and get to meet a bunch of sibs in the meantime. So yeah, change me from a "No" to a "Maybe, Possibly, Hopefully". I will keep an eye on what torn events are being planned for that weekend, and start looking out for good flight deals to NY. If I can find something we can afford, then I'm coming! This is starting to sound like its too good to miss!!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 31 2009, 2:37am

Post #136 of 565 (4484 views)
Shortcut
Roomates [In reply to] Can't Post

When you get the hotel thing going, PLEASE let me know asap....I won't have any problem getting a couple days off work, and I'm only coming from Albany, 3 hrs north....BUT like I said I have no-one to stay with and can't afford the price of a hotel room. I am trying to find someone on the U2 list to stay with,for both events, but it's all up in the air right now. Those folks are still in the process of getting tickets and setting up their own itineraries for the Sept 24 Giants Stadium concert, so it'll be sometime before I know for sure.

BUT....in case I don't know from the U2NYC group...can I make contingency plans for the 10th at least? The more roomates I share with, the less it'll be....of course....I'm assuming none of you NYC sibbies will have room for me....UnsureEvil

Sorry about this, this is no way to plan a trip,but nothing's been going according to plan in my life lately! Sly

Jazmine, beg, borrow or steal (well,no not STEAL of course, just the saying:)...to come. Try, even if you don't think you can make it. I may be the ultimate example of haphazard trip planning. Believe it or not, my trip to Boston to meet Doug Jones in November was another last-minute thing! and that worked out great!
If I can do it, anyone can:)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Mar 31 2009, 2:40am)

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2009, 5:40am

Post #137 of 565 (4502 views)
Shortcut
It's looking more and more likely that I'll be coming [In reply to] Can't Post

Neil and I were discussing it last night. The conversation went from, "well, we really shouldn't, seeing as we've got the house to buy for", to "but surely we deserve a little trip away, what with all the stress of moving into our first home?!" I also had a little peek at flight prices, and they were nowhere near as expensive as I'd expected. Laugh

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 31 2009, 6:25am

Post #138 of 565 (4526 views)
Shortcut
Would be great if you could come [In reply to] Can't Post

As you read a couple of messages above. I've decided to come. Not that I have that much money left over, but I decided to do nothing with the summer holidays (just staying home, relaxing), so the trip to NY will be my "summer holiday". It would be great to meet you there.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 31 2009, 6:36am

Post #139 of 565 (4541 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't mind sharing [In reply to] Can't Post

I will probably be in NY a bit longer (since it takes such a time to get there, I'm making the most out of it). I know a hotel (The Pod), that has a room with bunkbeds, that only costs $169 per room per night (that ex taxes and stuff), but as I can see it it is for the room, so that would be a great deal if we could share.
I think I will be in NY arriving Wednesday 7 and leaving Wednesday 14, but that also depends on if I can find a great deal on a plane ticket. So still a lot of planning, but I won't mind sharing (and as for reducing costs, I'm always up for a deal).

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 31 2009, 8:07am

Post #140 of 565 (4544 views)
Shortcut
A few questions from a fence-sitter... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm one of those "on the fence" persons. I've met some great TORn people in Minnesota (you know who you are) and I would love to see them, and meet even more for a mega-moot!

*If I buy a ticket to the concert and am unable to go in October, do you all think there would be a possibility of getting the ticket to someone else (or selling it with Ebay, etc...) in the month or two before October? i.e., will there be a demand, etc...

*I'd like to be at a hotel where the majority of TORn 'folks' are staying, but personally would rather have my own room. Does anyone have any idea where that 'majority' might be gathering yet? I know it's early. Midtown Manhattan is where the action is focused, correct?

Just for info, I'm familiar with the subway in Wash. DC and used the underground in Rome, and buses in Rome and London, so I have 'some' experience, but have never been to NYC.

*I'm thinking of buying a ticket to the concert and 'playing it by ear' for the rest if I can swing it. I would love to meet some more TORn folks and see NY besides, having never been there.

*Has anyone been to Radio City Music Hall, and can give direction as to the advantages/disadvantages of having a seat in back of the Orchestra section (say O-W) as opposed to cheaper seats in the mezzanine levels? (S507 looks pretty good to me :) But so does G411/3rd Mezz. ;)

You are all a bad influence......(in a good way mind you)

Radhruin

"Too many times we've been postally pipped
We've loaded the saddles, the mickeys are slipped
We're swapping the turf for the sand and the surf and the sin
'Cause the fix, the fix is in..."

~Elbow

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 31 2009, 1:34pm

Post #141 of 565 (4542 views)
Shortcut
A few answers, but not all [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to tell whether there will be enough demand on Ebay for a ticket - neither night is sold out, however the advertising hasn't started yet, so the concert might sell out before October. You'll have to decide whether you want to take the risk that you can't use the ticket and can't get rid of it.

No new news on the hotels yet, but we hope to have some information soon. Watch this space!

Can't help you on the RCMH, but maybe someone that's been there will respond.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 31 2009, 1:45pm

Post #142 of 565 (4516 views)
Shortcut
seats at RCMH [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry, nothing to add on best seating except someone asked the same question at Doug's blog and I suggested they post here to see if any of our NewYorkers might have a suggestion. I just went back to check and s/he got no replies at Doug's blog.

And (although I fear tipping you in the wrong direction) in conversation about ticket availability, Doug has mentioned:
If Friday and Saturday are sold out, they'll add a Sunday show and RCMH seats over 5,000 people.
It's possible that, even if Sun tickets are available, that someone would still want a Sat tickets either because it's sold out or because it's a better seat. Would you be selling one or a pair of tickets? Would it make a difference in it's desirability.

Perhaps talking with RCMH by phone would give you more information.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2009, 3:02pm

Post #143 of 565 (4568 views)
Shortcut
I think that is what I will do [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to be at the show most Ringers will be at, and while we're "on the fence" as well, mom and I, I will give them a call to see how many tickets they have left for Saturday's show. Or is there a place where it tells you the availability of the tickets online?

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 31 2009, 5:02pm

Post #144 of 565 (4448 views)
Shortcut
Saturday [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I'm gathering, the first people who bought tix all went for the Saturday show. I know L.Ron and I have Saturday tix. (Where is L.Ron? I PM'd him about this but he doesn't answer his mail right away...I think he'll show up here eventually:).

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 31 2009, 5:06pm

Post #145 of 565 (4515 views)
Shortcut
Keep that in mind. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't go doing anything defenite yet, Rosie...but it's a possibilty. I agree with the poster above who said that they'd rather be in the hotel where the most sibbies are staying. It might bring costs down that way.

Don't panic yet. This isn't like the U2 event...hotels are being booked for the Sept 24-ish time slot, so they'll be full that time...I mean it would be harder to find a hotel then.

Give this a few days, but don't rule it out. We should wait to see what others have to say...

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 31 2009, 8:26pm

Post #146 of 565 (4702 views)
Shortcut
*points up* for info on tickets both online and by phone [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two posts towards the top of this thread regarding tickets: one by Magpie, RCMH, about buying/checking online, and one by me ('tickets by phone') about, well, getting tickets by phone.

Good luck! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 31 2009, 8:28pm)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 2 2009, 4:58pm

Post #147 of 565 (4502 views)
Shortcut
What a great list! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't WAIT to see all those fabulous 'sibs together. It's been AGES since quite such a large group has convened; how brilliant. My friends, this is going to be a moot to remember... Smile

I don't have anything helpful to add to the conversation - just wanted to express my delight! Heart

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2009, 6:01pm

Post #148 of 565 (4547 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for putting this together! [In reply to] Can't Post

As excited as I am about the concert, i'm even more excited to spend time with so many great 'sibs!

"...and back again."

Radhruin
Rohan

Apr 4 2009, 5:49am

Post #149 of 565 (4660 views)
Shortcut
Well, I bought a ticket. [In reply to] Can't Post

And will be thrilled if everything works out. Finances aren't the best now (as I'm sure everyone shares an understanding!) The ticket is for Saturday night, Orchestra S507, which looks pretty good on the RCMH website. I'd rather be in the center section, but apparently so would everyone else. ;) I tried more expensive tickets and only got closer to the stage, but far to the right or left of stage. I prefer being closer to the center, even if it is fairly far back. Guess one doesn't really know what it will be like until you get there, which I'm sure will be exciting in itself.

I remember seeing a sub-thread, or maybe even a thread in which people were listing where in the Hall they had tickets, but I seem to be overlooking it. I'd be curious to see who all has tickets, and where they are sitting. Was that my imagination?

I'll be checking into the Moot board often, and look forward to hearing more plans, particularly hotel plans. :)

Radhruin

"Too many times we've been postally pipped
We've loaded the saddles, the mickeys are slipped
We're swapping the turf for the sand and the surf and the sin
'Cause the fix, the fix is in..."

~Elbow

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Apr 4 2009, 1:19pm

Post #150 of 565 (4489 views)
Shortcut
Yay!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The more the merrier -- glad you'd be joining us!

In this post, I listed ticket numbers for everyone who'd posted them up until that point. Several other people have bought tickets since then, and I'll make an updated list when I get a chance (unless someone else happens to get to it first).

More info. on hotels and events coming soon . . .

"In any case we did not kill him: he is very old and very wretched. The Wood-elves have him in prison, but they treat him with such kindness as they can find in their wise hearts."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.