The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
problem? Clicked on the "link" button, showed cnn.com

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 30 2009, 11:13am

Post #1 of 5 (940 views)
Shortcut
problem? Clicked on the "link" button, showed cnn.com Can't Post

All right, I have no idea if this was a fluke or some goblin in the machine, but it has never EVER happened before, and I use the link feature in advanced editor a lot. A LOT a lot.

I highlighted some text to add a hyperlink in this post in OT, and when the little hyperlink box opened up, instead of the URL at the top of the box (not the part you type your link into, but the URL that shows when the box opens above the typing part) saying http theonering dot net, etc, it said http cnn dot com.

I did not have CNN open at all on my computer, nor had I visited CNN today.

Um.

So I clicked it shut, and opened a new link box, and this time it was the usual onering.net URL.

Like I say, it's never happened before and so I just want to report it. It happened less than 30 secs before I clicked to "post", if you need a time or something.

a.s. (probably overreacting)

"an seileachan"

Madeleine L'Engle's A WRINKLE IN TIME was rejected 29 times. Just a thought, when feeling discouraged.

Call Her Emily

squire
Half-elven

Mar 30 2009, 11:28am

Post #2 of 5 (743 views)
Shortcut
Just ignore it [In reply to] Can't Post

It didn't happen. Forget about it.

Thanks,

glaroon@cnn.com

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 30 2009, 3:27pm

Post #3 of 5 (726 views)
Shortcut
Very, very odd [In reply to] Can't Post

That's definitely a first. CrazyLaugh

Thanks for reporting it and, as usual, let us know if it happens again.

Happy Monday! CrazySmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 30 2009, 8:59pm

Post #4 of 5 (738 views)
Shortcut
The Glaroon works for CNN? This [In reply to] Can't Post

explains much.

Wink

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Madeleine L'Engle's A WRINKLE IN TIME was rejected 29 times. Just a thought, when feeling discouraged.

Call Her Emily

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 31 2009, 2:27pm

Post #5 of 5 (829 views)
Shortcut
That's different [In reply to] Can't Post

I can make some guesses, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. A couple precautions you can do in the event you're worried it's something malicious.

Clear your internet cache and cookies.
Run some malware detection software like ad-aware, spybot, or go to housecall-- it scans your system from their website.

Those are both steps that it's wise to do periodically anyway, so you may already be doing them.

I would think the most likely case is a glitch when your browser was loading, and either hitting a wrong cookie, or you somehow picked up a link to CNN (via an ad most likely) from another website onto your clipboard that glitched into the URL spot.

As Altaira says, let us know if it happens again. =)

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.