Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Rado City NYC Moot 2009 - Ringers Take Manhattan! --> Official Hotel Link inside the thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 19 2009, 11:08am

Post #101 of 565 (4791 views)
Shortcut
Who's flying in what day? [In reply to] Can't Post

If there are plans to do "Torn stuff" on the 9th, for instance, I'd like to come in on the evening of the 8th. OTOH, if we're not "doing" anything on the 9th until the evening, I'll fly in the morning of the 9th and save a night's hotel fee.

This might be addressed above, but I don't think so.

Do we have any inkling (oooh, pun) of the hotel yet?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana

Call Her Emily

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 19 2009, 2:31pm

Post #102 of 565 (4756 views)
Shortcut
It's partly the chicken and the egg.. [In reply to] Can't Post

along with 'too far out to decide'.

Things standing today, I might be tempted to fly in early to do something on the 9th. But I want there to be something to do on the 9th if I'm going to fly in early and we don't know anything that's going on except for the concerts.

Now, this is without talking to the DH yet. He may have other thoughts.

Additionally, I'll be lucky if circumstances in Oct are as things stand today. My job, at the moment is flexible and I call the shots on when I work. But it's flexible because it's 'as needed'. For the last year, 'as needed' has averaged 30 hours a week. At the moment, it looks like 'as needed' will average 4. Can't keep that up long.

I refuse to let myself angst too much over this but it's still hard to know when t push the button and commit on dates and flights, etc.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2009, 2:53pm

Post #103 of 565 (4663 views)
Shortcut
I'm planning on getting there Friday the 9th [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't gotten my plane ticket yet, but would like to get there early on Friday, to get settled and meet up with folks.

"...and back again."

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 19 2009, 3:07pm

Post #104 of 565 (4747 views)
Shortcut
'k, thanks. There's currently [In reply to] Can't Post

no big difference in price for leaving Thursday as opposed to Friday from my area. In fact, there are round trip tickets, nonstop, from Norfolk to NYC for $138 leaving either Thurs or Fri, on three different carriers, and that is a pretty good price and hard to pass up.

Cool

It's so low, it's tempting to spring for another night at the hotel, get in early, and leisurely see whatever one can see in the general area of the hotel!!!

OOO, planning for vacations is fun.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana

Call Her Emily

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 19 2009, 4:38pm

Post #105 of 565 (4743 views)
Shortcut
If I were to guess [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's just a guess at this point, but based on previous Moots, most of the people will be traveling on Friday the 9th, arriving at various times during the day. Most of the departures will be on Sunday. For west-coasters, it will take them most of the day to arrive with the time changes and the distance to fly.

There will probably be some arrivals on Thursday, and whoever is in town might get together, but it's most likely that the main activities will be Friday night, Saturday day and night, and Sunday morning.

As Magpie said, it's chicken-or-egg at this point. I would say that you make the decision that's right for you based on how much time you can get off from work and how much you want to spend on the hotel. I would guess that rooms will be about $250-$300 per night, so depending on the number of roommates you have, you can determine how much the extra night will be. Although I would plan on fewer roommates for Thursday night.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Wynnie
Rohan

Mar 20 2009, 5:33pm

Post #106 of 565 (4725 views)
Shortcut
Just bought tickets! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been so out of the loop; thanks a bunch to silneldor for mentioning this!

I've claimed ORCH3, Row TT, Seats 311-312 for me & my husband, for the Saturday show.

Should be fun!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 22 2009, 4:39am

Post #107 of 565 (4736 views)
Shortcut
Further suggestion on getting to NYC from airport [In reply to] Can't Post

There are shuttles you can take that get you to Penn Station. $10. Taxis could be more than $35

I can scrounge up the details if needed.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

batik
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2009, 7:09am

Post #108 of 565 (4850 views)
Shortcut
and getting from Penn station to the RCM Hall area is [In reply to] Can't Post

not a bad hike. We *footed* it from there to 8th/52nd-(yes, with baggage). The 'ton' of crosswalks was the biggest bother.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 23 2009, 4:40am

Post #109 of 565 (4709 views)
Shortcut
And you could cab from there [In reply to] Can't Post

Sharing a cab divides the cost of course. Those who don't use them might imagine the cost changes with the number of riders but it doesn't so if you can find a travel buddy, this can lower costs significantly.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 24 2009, 4:13am

Post #110 of 565 (4780 views)
Shortcut
Help is on the way! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted to say that good deals on hotels, fun 'touristy' activities, and much, much more are actively being sought out and planned as I type this. An assortment of 'official' and 'non-official' activities are (finally) being planned using your suggestions from this thread, Smeagirl's polls on the Pollantir board, and the input of native New Yorkers and savvy NYC travellers.

Look for announcements to start soon! And, those of you who've already booked flights should be fine. While early birds and late-stayers may have additional things going on, there will be plenty to do duriing the core three-day weekend (Fri, Sat, Sun). CoolSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

gkgyver
Bree

Mar 26 2009, 8:27pm

Post #111 of 565 (4713 views)
Shortcut
First time [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I haven't been here for quite some time ...

Magpie brought my attention towards this thread on Doug's blog because I also - finally - bought my ticket to the Radio City event!
Forgive me, I have never been to one of those Moots - but this one seems like a pretty good way to start! And, since the prospect of going to NY for the first time feels a wee bit intimidating, I would like to think that "flocking together" actually faciliates it a bit Evil

Soooo, can I assume that, once plans become more concrete, I will find them in this thread ...?

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 26 2009, 8:35pm

Post #112 of 565 (4708 views)
Shortcut
hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you, gk. I'm all for flocking. It suits a magpie and it suits my tentative nature.

I can't speak in any official capacity but I sure hope to find more concrete plans showing up in this thread. It's where I sit tapping my fingers in anticipation.

btw... you can 'watch' the thread which means you'll get an email if anyone responds. That means you won't miss anything. Or.. you could just check back every so often.

Also, there are quite a few threads in the pollintir section asking about attendees preferences but I don't know if the info they were gathering has already been taken into consideration yet or not.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 26 2009, 8:49pm

Post #113 of 565 (4666 views)
Shortcut
I can definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

say that we ARE using the results of the polls in the planning process. As you can imagine, there are a lot of moving parts to this event and we're gathering information behind the scenes. Nailing down hotel information is a high priority because everyone is anxious about that. We'll be making announcements as soon as we can - but no definite dates yet (we like to pretend we're like Guillermo - giving everyone a teaser now and then Wink).

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 26 2009, 8:55pm

Post #114 of 565 (4722 views)
Shortcut
I probably wasn't clear... [In reply to] Can't Post

What I meant was, I wasn't sure if the results of the polls had *already* been taken into consideration. That is, would new input be useful, or are you already in the process of acting on the input you received?

I had complete confidence that you were using it. :-)

As to teasers, followers of Doug's blog are quite familiar with teasers. :P

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 26 2009, 8:56pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 26 2009, 10:02pm

Post #115 of 565 (4655 views)
Shortcut
Good point - we'll keep checking the polls [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously, once the announcements are made, the results of the polls won't be considered, but during the planning stages we'll keep checking.

I did that teaser comment on purpose, thinking of Doug the Master Tease. Cool

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

gkgyver
Bree

Mar 26 2009, 10:49pm

Post #116 of 565 (4657 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, my sister works at a German airline company, and she can get me some discounts on the flight, which is very welcome of course, so my main concern is the Hobbit hole I'll be staying in Tongue

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2009, 1:55pm

Post #117 of 565 (4704 views)
Shortcut
Welcome gkgyver [In reply to] Can't Post

As entmaiden stated, there is a lot of working going on behind the scenes now regarding hotels and other fun stuff. As soon as there is more information, you will hear about it right here!

"...and back again."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2009, 2:50am

Post #118 of 565 (4723 views)
Shortcut
My flight arrives about noon-ish on the 9th at LGA [In reply to] Can't Post

LaGuardia. Departure is also early mid-day on Sunday. *sigh* I wish it could be longer :)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 28 2009, 11:27pm

Post #119 of 565 (4782 views)
Shortcut
Well, I have a major freaking' problem.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got a ticket (yep, just me) for U2 at Giants Stadium Sept 24, so I'll be in town that couple of days. And this thing is Oct. 10?
Of course I'm going....but just one problem: I have nobody to stay with and can't afford a hotel for either event. I can't now and won't be able to in 5 months either. My cousin who used to live in Brooklyn doesn't live there anymore, nowhere even close (Pennsylvania don't count:), and ditto for my U2 pal I stayed with for the 2005 Vertigo shows.

There is NO WAY on God's green earth that I am going to let THAT stop me from going to either of these events though. NO WAY!! Esp when you appreciate what I had to go through to get the U2 tix, when I had no Fan Club membership pre-sale access code...I got a great seat, but it was God's absolute miracle.

So I am wrangling my brain wonderign what I am going to do about this...I may be nuts, but these are both experiences I am NOT going to cancel!!

What oh WHAT am I going to do?!?!?
I * might* be able to find someone on the U2NYC mailing list to stay with for the U2 concert, but as for Radio City....? What if they won't take me in for that? I'm up a creek without a paddle!!

I just got the ticket 2 days ago, and it was by pure dumb luck. So I have nothing planned thus farUnimpressed

It also occurs to me that I am supposed to be getting Laerasea's Journal in the mail, sometime in September. I can't remember if Smeagirl is supposed to get it from me, or if I'm supposed to be getting it from her. If either is the case, it would be great if we could exchange it in person, instead of going through the mail. I have to look this up...the link for the Journal calender please?

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Mar 28 2009, 11:34pm)

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Mar 29 2009, 3:49am

Post #120 of 565 (4682 views)
Shortcut
Looks like I'm supposed to be getting the journal from you. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you happen to have it around the time of the concert, sure, it would be great to get it from you in person.

I think it's too early to plan that though; the journal calendar seems pretty subject to change if anyone happens to have it longer than expected, or if additional people sign on.

As far as accommodations, I'm sure you'll figure something out. Where there's a will, there's a way. Smile

"In any case we did not kill him: he is very old and very wretched. The Wood-elves have him in prison, but they treat him with such kindness as they can find in their wise hearts."

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2009, 4:40am

Post #121 of 565 (4717 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean the Ring concert or the U2 concert? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just told that I will have the journal at the time of the Ring concert and should bring it along to give to a.s.

Hobbit Family Histories

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 29 2009, 5:30pm

Post #122 of 565 (4762 views)
Shortcut
just standing by :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be happy to take the Journal from you at the RTM (Ringers Take Manhattan) event, but if it doesn't work out I'll get it by mail.

Still, it would be so totally cool to have it at the event so everyone can take a look at it "thus far". Heck, I'd host a special "book preview" party in my room, even, and provide white cotton gloves for handling The Precious.

Cool

But everything eventually works out, so no worries either way.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Madeleine L'Engle's A WRINKLE IN TIME was rejected 29 times. Just a thought, when feeling discouraged.

Call Her Emily

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2009, 6:46pm

Post #123 of 565 (4622 views)
Shortcut
Soo... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually told my mum about this, and her reaction: I want to go!

Of course, it's on my dad's birthday, and there is the whole money thing... but I may be going. Perhaps. There are still tickets for Saturday, and if those last into April, who knows.

If there is going to be some sort of TORn hotel deal, too, that would be neat...

Heh, I'm now going to have to look up flights.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2009, 7:22pm

Post #124 of 565 (4671 views)
Shortcut
Wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

I changed the schedule recently; a.s. and Aerin will be exchanging it in NYC. I finished the updates about a week ago; you can see them on the site now. People are mostly just pushed back a bit, so Sunflower won't be getting it till around the end of November now (and Smeagirl in Dec).

Sorry, I should have said something sooner; I was waiting until the next time I got a page to post about!

Traveling Journal Official Site
The journal is in Canada!!!

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

It’s always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2009, 8:13pm

Post #125 of 565 (4681 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't even thought that far! Hopefully, the journal will stay on schedule to be exchanged at NYC. (I promise to pack it very, very carefully in my carry-on!)

Hobbit Family Histories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.