The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Turin vs. Tuor.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 27 2009, 5:04pm

Post #1 of 8 (4702 views)
Shortcut
Turin vs. Tuor. Can't Post

Turin is protected by his doom, and is all too likely to kill his cousin, then regret it afterwards.

But Tuor is favored by the Valar, and is pretty handy with a sword himself. Then again, would his conscience handicap him? Or would fate (or the Valar) protect him?

Both were raised by elves, both lived as outlaws, both have the best bloodlines, both had female elves falling in love with them.

Would it be a draw?

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2009, 5:58pm

Post #2 of 8 (1867 views)
Shortcut
When I asked this one a while back Turin seemed to be the overwhelming winner! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Turin's wreckless fury would give him the edge. Though, I would probably prefer Tuor to win!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 27 2009, 7:10pm

Post #3 of 8 (1803 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes. I really should [In reply to] Can't Post

have done a search first.

But I differ with the majority opinion. Tuor has a doom too, and it isn't to die. Somehow, I think they both would survive -- although Turin might kill a few innocent bystanders.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2009, 7:29pm

Post #4 of 8 (1817 views)
Shortcut
It would have been nice if a little more had been made of their chance meeting [In reply to] Can't Post

When they do briefly cross paths, they barely notice each other. I always liked that interaction, but am left wondering what they would've made of each other if they had had the chance for a proper meeting.

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 27 2009, 7:40pm

Post #5 of 8 (1805 views)
Shortcut
It's like matter and antimatter. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps it's better that they never meet.

But I really noticed Tuor's absence when I read Children of Hurin. I liked Turin's tale much better in Unfinished Tales where it was paired with Tuor's, like yin and yang.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 30 2009, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 8 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they would both survive the fight, so I'd call it a draw. I'm not sure they're evenly matched, but I don't think the Valar would let either die.

It's an interesting question because Tolkien really doesn't allow people who are evenly matched to fight. (Correct me if I'm wrong there, please.) So we don't have a lot to go on with this one.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for April

Padster
Bree

Apr 3 2009, 11:04am

Post #7 of 8 (5535 views)
Shortcut
Turin - no question about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Why does everyone given Turin such a hard time? It continually astounds me! He had a bum deal of a life, he was pitted against foes well beyond his stature, and the will and designs of a ‘God’. Much more than anything anyone in this world has ever had to deal with, and yet it seems OK to muddy his reputation at every turn.

Personally I think he is one of the most REAL people Tolkien writes about. He has flaws, and he gets things wrong. So what? So does everyone. OK the consequences of us getting things wrong doesn’t always result in a whole city getting destroyed and the populous enslaved, but those are the breaks, and it’s only a story after all.

Who would win between Turin and Tuor? Turin of course. What’s the point in introducing ‘fate’ and the like? Indeed in the crucible that is The Arena, it is exactly those unfair factors that should be stripped out of the equation. Those comments that we can draw on that are not influenced of things such as fate are where we ought to focus our attention.

The facts are that Turin became the greatest Edain warrior of his generation, and only his father was greater. Turin (and therefore his father by default) could have ranked amongst the greatest of the Eldar when it comes to combat prowess. Not saying he would be at the top, because I don’t think he would, and one could probably put together a significant list of Eldar who were greater than Turin.

Tuor was not in the same league as Turin though. He must have been fairly tough, for he kills Maeglin who must have been an Eldar of significant prowess given the line he came from, as well as bearing Anguril (the twin to Anglachel - PAINFUL!).

So Turin wins, no question.

Cheers

Padster

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jul 2 2013, 6:47pm

Post #8 of 8 (1243 views)
Shortcut
turin [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.