Reading Room Culture
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 17 2009, 3:20pm

Post #176 of 178 (2302 views)
Shortcut
Oh, gosh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry to hear that, Dreamdeer! Take good care of yourself, and as good care of her as you can; sending prayers for healing/calmness of mind/whatever you need, and keep us in touch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 17 2009, 5:33pm

Post #177 of 178 (2247 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Darkstone's two current posts on the Cat poem, no one has answered any questions, but several people have made interesting comments, which all any discussion leader really wants.

So true. Cookies are good.

It's a lonely feeling when they don't come!

That's the main lesson I learned leading a discussion. As a result, I try to post *something* in a discussion. And I often go out of my way to post in one that has few or no responses.

I've learned how nice it is to get a cookie.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Mar 17 2009, 5:35pm)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Mar 19 2009, 9:38pm

Post #178 of 178 (2544 views)
Shortcut
Coming late to this thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not been actively participating in the Reading Room for a number of reasons. Those who have been on TORN for a while may remember that I was one of the people who helped start it up back in the day; for a long time, it was the board I posted on most frequently. But I haven't really been participating much here since I returned to TORN in 2007 after a couple of years hiatus from the online world. Mainly I lurk and occasionally add a comment to an interesting thread. But that's about it.

Part of it is that I've been through a couple of RR discussions of LOTR over the years, and feel kind of burned out on them. I've been waiting for the discussion of The Hobbit to get back into the swing of things. It's also partly a matter of time constraints. Last year, I spent a lot of time coordinating and managing a discussion of the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Board, which pretty much satisfied my urge to analyze something in depth.

But I do have to say that the tone of the discussion on RR is not always very inviting. My impression is that on the old boards, the RR discussions seemed (for lack of a better word) friendlier. While the level of discourse was fairly high, the tone was less pedantic and more freewheeling. There was perhaps more acceptance of the different sorts of communication styles and dialogues that Dreamdeer and others have talked about upthread. I'd like to see that kind of openness come back. The art discussions a while ago had more of the old RR feel to them.

Just my $0.02....

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.