The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien Illustrated: Anke-Katrin Eissmann #5 - A different angle

Modtheow
Lorien

Apr 13 2007, 7:22pm

Post #1 of 4 (889 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Illustrated: Anke-Katrin Eissmann #5 - A different angle Can't Post

I’ve always liked something about all of the pictures that I’ve included so far, and I’ve had a few real favorites in every post. But in this round of pictures, I have to say that I love every one of them. I’ve grouped them together because they all take an interesting angle on their main subject, looking down at it from up above.

Why would an illustrator choose this point of view?
How does it help to represent the text?
Do you think this viewpoint works in these pictures?

Crossing Nimrodel
(2004)

larger version

"'Follow me!' he cried. 'The water is not deep. Let us wade across! On the further bank we can rest, and the sound of the falling water may bring us sleep and forgetfulness of grief.' One by one they climbed down and followed Legolas. For a moment Frodo stood near the bank and let the water flow over his tired feet. It was cold but its touch was clean, and as he went on and it mounted to his knees, and he felt that the stain of travel and all weariness was washed from his limbs."

The Fallen Southron
(2003)

larger version

"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace."

The Day without Dawn
(2006)

larger version

"On the further edge of the broad hill-back they stayed their march and crawled for hiding underneath a tangled knot of thorns. Their twisted boughs, stooping to the ground, wee overridden by a clambering maze of old briars. Deep inside there was a hollow hall, raftered with dead branch and bramble, and roofed with the first leaves and shoots of spring. There they lay for a while, too tired yet to eat; and peering out through the holes in the covert they watched for the slow growth of day."

In the three pictures above, there are figures whose backs are turned to us or who are mostly turned away. That’s not the case in the last two pictures that follow, though we’re still looking down from up above.

The Death of Finrod Felagund
(2000/2001)

larger version

"Then a voice he heard: 'Farewell!
On earth I need no longer dwell,
friend and comrade, Beren bold.
My heart is burst, my limbs are cold.
Here all my power I have spent
to break my bonds, and dreadful rent
of poisoned teeth is in my breast.
I now must go to my long rest
neath Timbrenting in timeless halls
where drink the Gods, where the light falls
upon the shining sea.' Thus died the king,
as elvish singers yet do sing."

Following the Swans (2006)

larger version

"Now Tuor journeyed south along the coast for full seven days, and each morning he was aroused by the rush of wings above him in the dawn, and each day the swans flew on as he followed after."

Please comment freely on any or all of these pictures.

Next post: Calling all Faramir fans!

All images are copyrighted by Anke-Katrin Eissmann and are used with her permission for the purposes of this discussion. More images and information about her work are available on her website :
http://anke.edoras-art.de/anke_home.html

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 14 2007, 11:24am

Post #2 of 4 (746 views)
Shortcut
Well, one advantage of this perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

is that it obscures some of those faces that bug me! I have no problem with Finrod's face, since he is near death. So the only live face we see is one of the hobbits (Frodo?) in "The Day Without Dawn." Although I once again have problems with the face, and I wish I could articulate them better, I do love the concept behind this picture and all the maze of brambles -- pretty much everything except the actual execution of the face.

Since I don't have the same problem with dead or sleeping characters, I think I must agree with Aunt Dora that the faces look deathlike even when the characters are not dead. They are so bloodless, the cheeks are drawn, the eyes are vacant, the mouth is tight -- close the eyes, and I would believe he is a corpse. So Eissman could have turned the dead Southron over for me, except that I wonder if she has trouble drawing a face that might not be pale!

I also love the swans in the last picture, and the background of rocks, water, and sky. Beautiful.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2007, 2:39am

Post #3 of 4 (729 views)
Shortcut
The Sam's-eye view [In reply to] Can't Post

in The Fallen Southron works perfectly with the text, as both we and Sam look down upon the dead "enemy".

Crossing Nimrodel is interestingly framed: the limbs divide the stream into thirds, and in only one section, and that off-center, is the "action" taking place. I think she's emphasizing the swiftness and clean coldness of the stream, its healing properties.

Like Curious, I love the swans and landscape of that last painting, there's something exhilarating about their flight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"And when Sam heard that he laughed aloud for shear delight, and he stood up and cried: 'O great glory and splendour! And all my wishes have come true!'"

Wynnie
Rohan

Apr 16 2007, 9:25pm

Post #4 of 4 (736 views)
Shortcut
Following the Swans [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I’ve grouped them together because they all take an interesting angle on their main subject, looking down at it from up above.
Following the Swans

larger version

You'd expect the "main subject" here to be Tuor, but this painting lifts us among the swans and treats us to a bird's-eye view. What a nice way to convey the feeling of flight! And the textures of feathers, rocks, and water are admirably captured.

Túrin Bears Gwindor to Safety
(detail)
by Ted Nasmith

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.