Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Why I brought up the Bullying subject here
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

orcbane
Gondor

Mar 13 2009, 1:52pm

Post #1 of 60 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Why I brought up the Bullying subject here Can't Post

I have not been able to keep up with all the posts and thoughts expressed in my original thread, Networks of Exsisting Friends, as it has gone off in its various directions. But I kind of expected that, and if it has allowed people to express thoughts and feelings they have not felt able to before, I am quite glad. That honest discussion happens is one half of what I hoped for & if even if it is all that occurs, I will think it worth the trouble. And, also as I expected, some interesting things have been expressed to, or about me in the process. But rather then respond directly and very likely turn discussion into arguements I would rather attempt to clear the air, in a general way, while I have the chance.

Why did I post that thread ?

To bring up the issue of bullying on the forum

Why now ?

I witnessed someone being, what I though was bullied last week.

Did you bring it up just for that Just for that ?

No. I have seen, what I think is bullying, many times, and felt on the recieving side of it myself.

Did you bring it up with the Mods ?

No

Why not ?

I am not completely sure. I do know what usually is happening is not in direct violation of the rules, but involves tone, and feelings, and is very difficult to deal with. This does revolve to a large extent upon opinion. So I took it on myself and if it proved wrong, would only bring the results of that error upon myself.

Why did you bring it up here ?

Other methods of addressing it were not working ?

What else did you try ?

At first expressing that I did not like the method of their response, and then in frustration and anger just confronting fire with fire. I tried to hold the line of and not crossed over into unprovoked attacking. I really just want me and other like me, to be left alone, and only struck out when provoked. But I was responding in increasing fury and saw myself slowly loosing control. I felt I was beginning to cross the line and respond combatively when only lightly provoked or not at all. Seeing myself at the brink of banning, I left for several months. Coming back I, felt the original problem still exsisted and perhaps was even worse. What I witnessed seemed so senseless. And since the person was jumped because of their response to me (we were joking together) I responded in kind in their defense. All anger returned in a moment, but I knew that would accomplish nothing.

What about the other three issues you brought up ?

They were genuine thoughts on other ways to freshen things up. But they were minor and mainly on the list for another purpose. I knew the bullying issue would get hot. I felt that if there were easier things to discuss at first, the temperature would remain below critical long enough for the bullying issue to seep into people's minds and give then a chance to mull it over. What I wished to be known was: Is it happening ? Is it bad ? Just hearing it from me was not going to be enough. And if I raised the combative issue alone, the combative people would all start shouting and the quiet people would never be heard from.

Do you want to be a Mod ?

Sorry, but allow me and all the Mods here one 'lol' Now that is funny. :D

Am I a Champion-Bully ?

Reading that my first thought was: "a bitter jest" because the one who wrote it was the one I saw bullyied, the one I attempted to defend, and was the spark that brought this whole thing about. But to try to answer, I did not think so, going into this, but I do not really know. Perhaps that is the direction I am going or what I have become. I have made several allusions to this here and elsewhere, for it has been on my mind as for quite a while as well.

I really did not expect to survive the raising of this issue. To borrow a phrase, I have an evil name in the TORn land. Probably no one is more disliked. Some of this comes from my approach and manner, which I know some find in itself offensive. Some though, I believe comes from bringing up important issues practically no one else will, and are critical of other people. And you might find it ironic, but at least in my mind, involve trying to improve how people treat one another.

I feel I have accomplished the realistic part of my goal, and it is very satisfying to see many have felt emboldened to speak out. It has even been more satisfying to see positive responses from people taking it seriously and trying to come up with ways to improve it. It is of course less satisfying not getting any thanks for knocking down the spears with my self, long enough for you to speak.

And...this is me, and I can never resist a chance for one more song. Please don't be offended by the name of the group. I am actually one of the people they were referring to when they chose their name (true trivia). But I love some of their madness and you will probably not find a more pretty song by them

B-hole Surfers - Wooden Song http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2009, 3:44pm

Post #2 of 60 (537 views)
Shortcut
I hope this isn't a "goodbye" [In reply to] Can't Post

I really did not expect to survive the raising of this issue. To borrow a phrase, I have an evil name in the TORn land. Probably no one is more disliked. Some of this comes from my approach and manner, which I know some find in itself offensive. Some though, I believe comes from bringing up important issues practically no one else will, and are critical of other people. And you might find it ironic, but at least in my mind, involve trying to improve how people treat one another.

I am surprised and sad to learn that you feel this way, orcbane. You have been a strong member of TORn for quite awhile and I can't recall any major offense. We all post things we regret at one time or another but this community is pretty forgiving of that. Intentionally attacking another member or blanket criticism of the whole board is another thing entirely, but it's also rare and short-lived in my experience, and I don't think you did that -- you just had a conflict. Sometimes I have a personality conflict with another member and then I simply avoid reading or responding to that person's posts. And I don't mean you! I'm sorry I've never participated in your music threads, but I simply don't have the same taste in music as you do.

It's hard to argue a negative point, but you certainly don't have an "evil name". I don't even want to think about who on TORN is "more disliked".Frown I want to assure you that you are welcome and appreciated here. If you need to take a break, I hope it is a short one and we'll see you again soon.

Where's Frodo?

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 13 2009, 3:48pm

Post #3 of 60 (536 views)
Shortcut
Perception [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there, orcbane Smile. I’ve been following the thread below and finally got a few minutes to post.

IMHO, there are some real problems to address here and there are some ‘perceived’ problems. Perceived problems come, of course, from one's own POV which is entirely legitimate. However, I submit that you may not have all the facts, nor thought a few things through (again, legitimate, and why it’s good to bring things up).

One of the real problems is bullying. It does happen from time to time (although often bullying can also be a matter of perception). However, and I want to emphasize: any real problems, or even suspected real problems in the community should be brought to the attention of the moderators via PM.

Either someone was just having a bad day, or they were intentionally bullying someone. Either way, they’re not going to appreciate being confronted by anyone in an ‘unofficial’ capacity (and, trust, me may not appreciate being confronted by someone in an official capacity either Laugh). But, the mods know everyone here and know how to resolve issues like these (we’ve dealt with hundreds in our time).

So, I would first ask people to ask themselves whether there could be a real problem going on, or whether there’s a chance they’re mis-perceiving an exchange. If it’s still bothersome, PM away – we welcome being notified, even if it turns out to be nothing.

Now, about the perceived problems.

To borrow a phrase, I have an evil name in the TORn land. Probably no one is more disliked.

Orcbane, orcbane, orcbane. This, I assure you, is mostly a matter of perception – namely yours. I sense a cycle going on here: you perceive that you’re an outsider, so you sometimes push the envelope thinking it doesn’t matter because you’re an outsider. The response you get confirms to you that you’re an outsider, and on, and on. I’ve seen this happen before and I’ve also seen people turn it around. After a few friendly posts people start to forget (and, typical of the people here, forgive).

You’ve made friends here. I can see that. Why not post to everyone the way you post to them and just avoid the people you don’t like. There are hundreds of people here – it’s easy to do. But you’re the only one who can do it. And, if you don’t, I’m sure you know who you have to blame. (Alternatively, you can just limit your interactions to the friends you *have* made and not give a flip about the rest. That's a perfectly acceptable approach too as long as you don't go looking for someone you perceive doesn't like you to re-enforce your outsider perception.).

Now I’d like to address a few of the other things you brought up in your first post (eeps, briefly if I can).

Stickies – again, a problem of perception and/or not getting or having all the information. As you scrolled past all those annoying stickies Tongue, did you happen to notice how many views they have? Stickies aren’t there to annoy regulars, they’re there to help new people. And, judging by the number of views they've had, it’s working. The mods monitor views (and replies to stickies that aren’t locked) and when they slow down, *that’s* when we unstick them. In other words, we’re on it.

Mods – speaking of mods, their number of posts isn’t a good barometer of how much time they’re putting in here. I’ve been on TORn for hours in the last two days and this is only my second post. Plus, there is an “invisible” Admin board where we commiserate and our posts won’t show up in “Show users posts” except to other Admins. So, we could be having a party there and no one would ever know (oops, now *that* cat is out of the bag LaughWink).

If anything, the last login might be better if you feel the need to monitor such things. That said, we *do* have lives. We work, we go on vacations and have other situations arise where we can’t log in as often. It ebbs and flows, which is why we have multiple mods with coverage around the globe. So, again, you may perceive some of us aren’t here, but the facts may belie that perception.

Weekly threads – again, perception, or rather preference. While they bother some, many, many other folks love them and they get good responses. Why limit a large number of people’s enjoyment because someone else doesn’t like them? Move on. There are so many other threads to participate in, and anyone can start a new thread at any time. If someone feels discouraged to start a new thread, again, that’s a perception of theirs that is almost impossible for someone else to change. They just have to take the plunge and find out for themselves.

Finally, if anyone sees something that irks you, again, please bring it to the attention of the Admins. While we try to read as many posts as we can, it’s physically impossible to read them all. So, a perception that we’re not doing our job by addressing something could be wrong - we may just not have gotten to that thread or post yet.

Sincere thanks for bringing up some of these points. I hope having more information is useful.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 13 2009, 5:06pm)

Ufthak
Rivendell

Mar 13 2009, 4:21pm

Post #4 of 60 (518 views)
Shortcut
I feel you're being a little over-dramatic [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really did not expect to survive the raising of this issue. To borrow a phrase, I have an evil name in the TORn land. Probably no one is more disliked.

Bruce Hitler and Count Num Num come to mind. Now THOSE were trolls.

If this genuinely is a goodbye thread, you should be glad Blue Wizard isn't around anymore, as his general response to all of them was "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out". On the basis, I believe, that anyone who takes the time to post a goodbye thread (of a "I'm leaving this rotten place" nature as opposed to "live long and prosper, I won't be around due to other commitments") was clearly not so desperate to leave that they didn't want one last blast of attention, and people begging them to stay.

With regard to issues of bullying, you've GOT to take it up with the admins. That's what they're there for, among many many other things. If you bring this to their attention, and they then don't deal with it, or don't deal with it to your satisfaction, that's one thing. If you don't bring it to them at all, you are potentially leaving the board and losing your enjoyment of the non-bullying elements and depriving other people who read your posts of they enjoyment they get from them, all from something that the admins might have been able to sort had you approached them about it.

Seriously mate, martyrish blanket posts don't do anything for anyone. The admins wonder why you haven't approached them, the people close to you on the board then start to wonder if THEY should trust the admins since you apparently don't (which can cause problems down the line for them *and* the admins), half the board will start worrying that they've been bulling you without realising it and some of the rest will just roll their eyes about someone making a scene. Address the specifics with the admins first, if that doesn't work then think long and hard before you take your business elsewhere.

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 5:04pm

Post #5 of 60 (478 views)
Shortcut
I respect you [In reply to] Can't Post

You strike me as a decent person, struggling to grow and improve yourself, and I respect that in anyone. We are all works in progress, but the most admirable ones are those who know it and strive to keep the work progressing. Anyone who asks, "Am I a champion-bully" usually either isn't, or ceases to be at the moment of inquiry.

Life is beautiful and dangerous! Beware! Enjoy!

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 5:14pm

Post #6 of 60 (491 views)
Shortcut
Culture versus individuals [In reply to] Can't Post

One can, of course, flag an individual for the administraters. But what if a culture gradually develops, so subtly, that it's hard to put a finger on it? I thought it was just me feeling on the ropes in the Reading Room. I did not know that others felt the way that I did--and especially not so many people who seem downright better than me in so many ways! Seeing this brought up in public certainly did me a world of good! And now we can deal with it as a community, not singling out individuals for reprimand, because no one's really individually guilty, just a lot of good people getting swept up in an overall trend gone out of balance.

And how, exactly, does one flag things for administrators? Forgive me for being a Luddite, but is there a place where the administrator's names are listed, apart from others, so that one can PM them? I recently had to ask to have a post of mine deleted, and I knew no better way than to ask in this public forum, much to my embarrassment.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 5:17pm

Post #7 of 60 (462 views)
Shortcut
{{orcbane}} [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's my overall take on the thread below: while I didn't agree with all your original points, I did notice that already in the Reading Room there have been several threads that are like a breath of fresh air there. So that subthread was very productive in sending people who care about that place over to see what could be done immediately.

As far as bullying goes, of course it can happen in any community, though I see it much, much less here than in places like imdb or youtube or newsvine. Our mods do a great job, though being human beings they don't always catch everything. But I would repeat what others have said, please tell the mods. They are the beaters-of-the-bounds, the rangers who keep this place safe.

A few years ago I ran afoul of a bully on TORn who did a lot of damage before she left the boards. (I find passive-agressive bullying to be much, much more damaging and hard to deal with than straight-forward nastiness.) And because the person had been here a long time and was highly respected until something went wrong in her life, the mods were reluctant to deal with it quite as quickly as they might have been with a newbie. I can understand that. I've been forgiven a few transgressions myself that might have been seen as more trollish if a newcomer had made them. (And the time I got scolded by Xoanon he said the reason he wasn't kicking me off the board was he knew I'd been around a while and wasn't really spamming the board when I tried to promote my website.) Is that wrong? Well, as one of my old Internet friends once told me, friendship is like puting money in the bank. The more you've invested, the more the friendship can survive 'withdrawals' from the account. So maybe that's why oldbies sometimes seem to be getting away with a lot.

As I've said elsewhere, you have a lot of credit in my account because of the way you gallantly stood up for the women of TORn when we were attacked as a group by the silly "femine" poster. So when you came after me in the arena with duct tape and the Chinese army, I thought it was funny, where as if it had come from a newbie I probably would have been pretty freaked out.

I don't know what incident of bullying you noticed, and it's none of my business. But I do know that some of the issues that came up about the Reading Room surprised me. Maybe I'm oblivious, or maybe I'm just more sensitive to some kinds of attack than others. But in the eight years I've been posting in the Reading Room, the nitpicking there has never bothered me. In my perception, the people who are doing it are having fun chewing over every detail of a subject they love, and any attacks are meant to be on the meat of the argument, not on the person making it. For me that's a huge distinction. There is in particular one person there who has been noted as being nit-picky, but he's always been one of my very favorite people on TORn. Maybe I just like people like that because my dad's kind of like that and I'm used to it and have come to enjoy that kind of dueling. My dad never means any harm when he says "What do you mean, you don't know the principal rivers of China?" (he's a geography geek as well as a mathematician.) It drives my sister nuts but I just think it's entertaining.

Well, I'm babbling again. Mostly I just wanted to say that I hope you're not leaving, though I think most of us who have been here any length of time (myself included, and also the person I'm referring to in the previous paragraph) have sometimes felt the need to take a week or two off, go outside and look at the sunshine, and get perspective. It's really easy to misread people in print, and that's part of the reason why print can hurt so badly.

I thought your thread opened up some very productive dialog, and I hope you'll stay around.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 13 2009, 5:18pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 6:15pm

Post #8 of 60 (450 views)
Shortcut
I'd just like to say [In reply to] Can't Post

that you are ok in my book and i have had some rough spots in the past but i let time, gained perspective, and some beautiful people here guide me along.
Just consider yourself as equal here and that's it.
Or else i am going to have to chase you around and wallop you with a nurfasized troll hammerLaugh.
You are ok. You just have to know so.
'sides we are al the bane of orcs here:).

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 6:17pm

Post #9 of 60 (472 views)
Shortcut
List of Admins [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Welcome Board, there's a post with all the Admins listed. Sadly, it doesn't link to their profiles, but it you go to Who's Online and click View Member Directory at the top, you can usually track someone down.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum.cgi?post=49#49

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for February

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 13 2009, 7:10pm

Post #10 of 60 (493 views)
Shortcut
Does it need to? [In reply to] Can't Post

Link to our profiles, I mean.

If you go to 'Your Mesgs' and click on 'Send PM', you can type our usernames into the Recipient field. None of us have complicated names with underscores or dashes or numbers, so it shouldn't be an issue of remembering how to spell something (although getting the As in the right place in Ataahua takes some practice Wink).

Inferno.

======================
Good night, tOR.Nados. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely delete you in the morning.
======================
Elcenia

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 7:21pm

Post #11 of 60 (444 views)
Shortcut
Dreamdeer, you are a treasure. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your wise words here and in the thread below, not to mention all the time in the RR, just blow me away. You seem to have an almost wizardly wisdom that sees to the heart of things. Thanks for being who you are.

I was surprised to find out that you were feeling intimidated in the Reading Room, because your posts there are the first ones I read, and seem to have more insight than anyone else's. Not that it's a contest, but I have been struck by that.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Mar 13 2009, 7:22pm)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 7:23pm

Post #12 of 60 (448 views)
Shortcut
Admins and mods [In reply to] Can't Post

have not the usual Middle-earth location beneath their names, but their rank, so I have learned who is a mod just from that. And a click on 'Who's online' shows you if one of them is online just now, so you could PM that one. And when no mod is online, I'd try to PM one that's likely to show up soon, depending on time zone.

Here's a quick list from memory - I'm sure I left out some: Altaira, Ataahua, Eledhwen, Inferno, Draupne, Hengist, Kyriel, Silverlode - hope that helps a bit!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 7:48pm

Post #13 of 60 (450 views)
Shortcut
My two cents [In reply to] Can't Post

Was so busy reading the thread below (could you please start that sort of discussion next time not just when I can't be online for quite a while? Wink) that I never got to post anything. Most of what I had wanted to say had already been posted anyway.

The bit about bullying got me thinking. Some people react more sensitive than others. When a post seems a bit snarkish to me, I usually first assume the poster has a bad day, or I didn't get it how it was meant, before I think someone is deliberately doing it. I never really got the impression of bullying here, but of course, I can't read everything, and bullying is partly a matter of perception, IMO. Let me assure you TORn is not so bad - I've known cases where the admins were the worst bullies on the playground, and you can imagine how *that* works out! Pirate

But some probably feel as you do, so it's great that you brought the question to the mind of all! It's something we all need to think about from time to time - how might our posts seem to others?

Oh, and I can assure you that you are not the most disliked person here, at least not for me Smile So far, you did nothing to earn that questionable honour Wink

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 8:01pm

Post #14 of 60 (424 views)
Shortcut
Thank you!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 8:05pm

Post #15 of 60 (430 views)
Shortcut
D'oh! I've been doing it the long way! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why I never tried to start a new PM from Your Mesgs, but I've always done it through the button at the bottom of someone's profile. Thanks for the tip, Inferno!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for February

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 8:08pm

Post #16 of 60 (435 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

It's just that I know that my formal education, social class, and several other things, are inferior to that of most of the people here. I compensate a lot, but maybe I get too insecure. Dreamdeer is a confident fictional character through whom I live online, although all of the biographical details are accurate of Dolores (I really am a mixed-blood Yaqui, with a 93 year old grandmother, living in the desert, who used to work in medical transcription, etc.)

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 8:09pm

Post #17 of 60 (402 views)
Shortcut
Good tips--thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 9:00pm

Post #18 of 60 (427 views)
Shortcut
In that case [In reply to] Can't Post

your wisdom is even more impressive. You are evidently a natural wizard :-)

And I think I know what you mean about fictional characters. When I wear my teacher hat at school, I feel like an entirely different person from the one who walks into a party and stands around tongue-tied. Somehow, putting on that teacher garb makes me not only more confident, but also more out-going.

But I suspect that Dreamdeer is a lot less fictional than you realize.

Farawyn
Rohan

Mar 14 2009, 1:16am

Post #19 of 60 (389 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* or [In reply to] Can't Post

in other words, "Have a cookie."

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 14 2009, 1:42am

Post #20 of 60 (404 views)
Shortcut
Alternatively, to get to someone's profile... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're 'typing impaired' like me (I type way to fast for my fingers Crazy), there are several ways to get to someone's profile (and, for those who don't know, at the bottom right of everyone's profile there's a "Send Private Message" button that automatically takes you the screen where you send a PM, plus it automatically enters their name - thus, no typos! Laugh):

1 - find one of their posts and click on their user name

2 - go to "Who's Online" (ring at top of board) and if they're online, click thier user name

3 - if they're not online... at the top of the "Who's Online" screen there's a "View Member Directory" link. From there you can two one of two things:

a. If they post a lot, click on the "Posts" link and it will re-sort the list of users by who posts the most. Scroll down until you find them, the click on their username.

b. If they dont' post a lot, click on the letter of the alphabet that their username starts with and go from there.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 14 2009, 2:45am

Post #21 of 60 (390 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Orcbane... [In reply to] Can't Post

...for revitalizing the Reading Room.

Annael
Half-elven

Mar 14 2009, 4:27am

Post #22 of 60 (420 views)
Shortcut
to trip down memory lane a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really did not expect to survive the raising of this issue. To borrow a phrase, I have an evil name in the TORn land. Probably no one is more disliked.

Bruce Hitler and Count Num Num come to mind. Now THOSE were trolls.

Oh, yes, those two definitely top the list of the Troll Hall of Fame. Then there was Kelennar, The Purist Who Out-Puristed All Other Purists; "Shuggy" and "Cirith Ronald McDonald," who vied to set the record for number of sock puppets used; and we can't forget The Lidless Eye, whom I think set the record for "goodbye, I'm leaving and it's ALL THE FAULT OF YOU PEOPLE" posts after Blue outed him for plagiarizing most of his "funny" posts.

That said, TORn in the early days (pre-FOTR) was a much tougher place - predominantly male and 30+, with sarcasm and witty ripostes much more the order of the day. We had a huge influx of people with much thinner skins after the first movie, and as a result a lot of the guys moved on. Have to say I miss them and the days when we all had to learn not to take things written by a complete stranger personally . . .

What is the knocking?
What is the knocking at the door in the night?
It is somebody wants to do us harm.
No, no, it is the three strange angels.
Let them come in
- DH Lawrence
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 14 2009, 4:30am

Post #23 of 60 (362 views)
Shortcut
DON'T FORGET TORAK!!! =) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2009, 6:55am

Post #24 of 60 (739 views)
Shortcut
Add Kimi to that list [In reply to] Can't Post

and I believe you've got all of us.

In case there is anyone here who's confused, Admin was our title on the old boards, Moderator on the new. They're used interchangeably now, and have nothing to do with the modding ability on the old boards that people refer to when they say "mods up", which could be earned by anyone. Superusers are Admins or TORN Staff with technical access. Clear as mud?

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 14 2009, 7:54am

Post #25 of 60 (392 views)
Shortcut
I *knew* I had missed someone! Thanks, Silverlode! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.