Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Aragorn's Strider Costume?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 1:00am

Post #1 of 43 (20228 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Aragorn's Strider Costume? Can't Post

Aragorn's ranger outfit is a staple of all three movies. Starting from the bottom, Aragorn is wearing leather trousers, soft leather boots, a linen shirt, a suede jerkin, and a green leather coat. While it seems like a simple outfit, Ngila and her crew included some very interesting details for us to look at.

Let's start with his grey shirt. Apologies, but I don't have any details on the red shirt he changes into in TTT.

This is a linen shirt which started out black, but has been washed and faded down to a nice grey color. The tops of the sleeves have been smocked, a type of embroidery that gathers the fabric. There is a simple X embroidered along the edge of the collar.

The jerkin he wears is a brown suede. The lighting on this first image is terrible, but you can see a large patch in the middle of it and another seam where the leather hides are joined. The bottom edge has been worn down over the years. You can also see here his single leather glove.

In this second shot, with his Narsil sword belt, you can see the stitching better on that patch (I hope).

The green leather coat (Ngila makes quite a deal over the color of the coat in the ROTK Appendices) is laced up along the sides, the inside of the sleeves, and at the shoulder. The lacing seems to sit over an actual seam in most places so that it wouldn't be functional. This is important during filming so something wouldn't accidentally fall apart!

On his right sleeve is what Ngila describes as: "There is a very beautiful piece of leather on one arm of his coat that is very heavily leather-worked and has a lot of leather-thread embroidery on it. The ides is that that was there because it was for protection."

Of course, it's completely covered in TTT and ROTK by Boromir's vambraces.

And check out these boots!

Of course, you can find more details at AlleyCatScratch.

Any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a series devoted to the costume details of LOTR. It doesn't follow any order and appears on no particular day. You can always find previous discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for February

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2009, 1:10am

Post #2 of 43 (14820 views)
Shortcut
Once again, I am stunned at the amount of detail [In reply to] Can't Post

that went into the costumes, especially since most of us never noticed it during the films.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 13 2009, 1:18am

Post #3 of 43 (14829 views)
Shortcut
Runes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knew there were runes on Aragorn's swordbelt? Now I wonder if anyone here can decipher it...

Also I wonder how it felt to put on these same clothes time after time after time ... not to mention to live in them while fishing or camping out, as Viggo was wont to do. I remember Billy Boyd saying he loved getting to Minas Tirith because he got a "right nice costume" - Viggo had to wait a little longer before he finally looked more kingly.

Although I will say that the Strider costume looks *very* comfortable.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 1:30am

Post #4 of 43 (14834 views)
Shortcut
Can anyone confirm this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Alley Cat Scratch has this translation:

Inscription on Andķril: "Anar Nanye Anduril i ne Narsil i macil Elendilo. Lercuvanten i moli Mordoreo. Isil" which means "Sun I am Anduril who was Narsil the sword of Elendil. Let the thralls of Mordor flee me. Moon". This same inscription appears on it's belt and on a steel & brass plate on the back of the scabbard.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 1:50am

Post #5 of 43 (14794 views)
Shortcut
Hooray for regular threads! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Arwen's Daughter, I know you have put a lot of work into these.
As always, I so enjoyed having a look at the incredible detail and multi-layering.
I especially loved the jerkin and the wear at the bottom. I much prefer the Ranger look to the Kingly look, if you know what I mean. Wink

And then I started wondering, when one is a Ranger, where does one purchase or obtain one's clothing?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 2:03am

Post #6 of 43 (14785 views)
Shortcut
Heh, it's not been so 'regular' lately... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a little longer than I realized since I last posted one of these. Shocked

I think the idea was that Aragorn got many of his clothes in Rivendell and was then patching or repairing them himself, out in the wild. As I recall, it's mentioned somewhere that Viggo was the one who suggested they show areas where Strider has mended the clothes himself.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 2:24am

Post #7 of 43 (14778 views)
Shortcut
It's a great image, [In reply to] Can't Post

the Ranger doing a few running repairs along the road. The clothes become a part of him, with all his travels and adventures imprinted somehow into the fabrics. Good old Viggo, he never stopped thinking about ways to bring authenticity to the role.

Yes, it has been a while. Mind you, I haven't been around much lately, so I would never have noticed if you hadn't provided that link.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 13 2009, 2:29am

Post #8 of 43 (14744 views)
Shortcut
Coolness! Thanks A.d. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

batik
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2009, 2:32am

Post #9 of 43 (14775 views)
Shortcut
as a matter of fact, I have... [In reply to] Can't Post

noticed this costime...quite a bit. ('ello, Ranger!) Scuffy, muddy, tattered--it's all good. Makes me think of *quality* items that have seen better days. I especially like the detail of the shirt.

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 2:37am

Post #10 of 43 (14801 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, question? [In reply to] Can't Post

The boots in the 'boots' photo (#8) look so different than the boots in the first photo. It seems like the boots he wore in the first photo had a thicker sole and were heftier and more sturdy looking, than the boots in the boots photo. Those boots look like they would not stand up to all the mud and rain and wear and tear of filming (and also considering how Viggo wore them around the clock, for months on end Sly.) I wish there was *just* a bit more of the toe section in that boots photo so we could see the sole. Next time I watch I must 'study the boots' Wink.

Overall the costume looks comfortable. I wonder if it was heavier than it appears though, considering it was all leather and suede.

And it's also amazing how different the colors appear, in different shots! That must be another whole aspect they have to consider when deciding what colors to use

Thanks Arwen's daughter .... these Costume discussions are always so interesting!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 2:45am

Post #11 of 43 (14801 views)
Shortcut
Maybe this will help... [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything I know about Aragorn's boots I've learned from AlleyCatScratch's details.

"Aragorn wears at least two styles of boots. The first boots are softer. Once he starts to ride a horse, the book picks up a stiffer sole and a bit of a heel, but is almost the same."

The picture I grabbed comes from a Neiman Marcus display. Here's another one from the same display that shows the sole better: http://alleycatscratch.com/...aBoots0045_YukNM.jpg

And another here: http://alleycatscratch.com/...ootTip1164_CatNM.jpg

This pair must be of the softer, less sturdy style.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 3:46am

Post #12 of 43 (14783 views)
Shortcut
Does this confirm me as a completely hopeless LOTR geek, or what???? [In reply to] Can't Post

There really were two styles. I cannot believe I actually could tell the difference.

I *really* need to get a life Shocked!

Thanks A.d ... only another true sibbie would go through the trouble of finding that verification. Thank you from the bottom of my fangirl heart EvilHeart.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 3:52am

Post #13 of 43 (14717 views)
Shortcut
No, please don't [In reply to] Can't Post

'get a life'.
Just stay exactly as you are. Cool

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 4:05am

Post #14 of 43 (14729 views)
Shortcut
Well, all right ... maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll just try to get out a bit more Wink.

P.S. I just saw on the other board, that you're just out of surgery. I hope you are feeling better soon Heart.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Mar 13 2009, 4:11am)

weathertop
Rohan

Mar 13 2009, 7:30am

Post #15 of 43 (14775 views)
Shortcut
leather's not all that different [In reply to] Can't Post

than denim, of course this depends entirely on what form of leather we're talking. i assume buckskin as i don't remember too many cows runnin round ME. and there isn't mention of elk or moose or the like, which gets much heavier.

For the stuff i made and wear, the leather pants are just about the same weight and comfortability as denim, tho it stretches a bit as time goes on. The elk hide shirt i made is quite heavy, especially on hot summer days, which made me switch to a cotton shirt. (thinking of making the elk-shirt into a winter jacket). Mocs (mocassins) on the other hand are pure pleasure to wear, especially when custom made to your own foot. only problem is they don't get very good traction in the wet & muddy places...

i don't have pix on this puter, but i'll see about posting them later if anyones interested.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 7:40am

Post #16 of 43 (14710 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a fairly slow process, but there's nothing like a dose or two of TORn to while away the time. Wink

Thanks for the kind wishes.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2009, 2:47pm

Post #17 of 43 (14804 views)
Shortcut
It is great to hear how much thinking went in it [In reply to] Can't Post

quote: "The green leather coat (Ngila makes quite a deal over the color of the coat in the ROTK Appendices) is laced up along the sides, the inside of the sleeves, and at the shoulder. The lacing seems to sit over an actual seam in most places so that it wouldn't be functional. This is important during filming so something wouldn't accidentally fall apart!"

I believe it is said on the appendices, that the lacing was because than Strider could have been able to take off the sleeves in summer (only leaving him with a sort of body warmer) and put back on in winter time.
Really, just all the thought that went into all the costumes, just great.

Thanks for sharing this one with us.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2009, 5:31pm

Post #18 of 43 (14686 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE this costume [In reply to] Can't Post

Partly because Viggo looks so yummy in it, but mainly because it's how I always pictured it. Awesome!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 6:35pm

Post #19 of 43 (14732 views)
Shortcut
This is one of these costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

that do look rather shabby at first sight, until one looks a bit closer and finds all these tiny details that suggest this outfit must have looked great when it was new. The smocked sleeves might have been functional in the first place, but I think it looks very decorative. The same goes for the laces on the coat.

Aragorn looked great in this costume - liked him much more in this than in the finery he wore at the end of RotK. It was just the perfect costume for a ranger. Cool

Thanks, I love these close-ups on details, Arwen's Daughter!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Henoluin Elsilim
Rivendell

Mar 13 2009, 7:15pm

Post #20 of 43 (14708 views)
Shortcut
Yay!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've missed this thread!

I love absolutly everything about Aragorn's costume's. From the belt, to the gloves, to the boots. I gotta admit though, I totally love those boots! They look so soft and comfortable... wish they made them in my size! And the belt... who knew there was runes on it? I didn't, thats for sure!
It's almost a shame that Boromir's vembraces had to cover up all the detail on Aragorn's sleeves in the last two movies. After all the work that I'm sure was put into it, I wish we had gotten to see it more!

Thanks for taking the time to do this thread! I really enjoy it.

~ Henoluin ~

Lord of the Rings

James McAvoy for Bilbo!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 9:26pm

Post #21 of 43 (14681 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see them!

Do you make them just for grins, or do you do historical re-enactments? Or do you live in a mountainside shack, while writing your manifesto? Tongue

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 11:11pm

Post #22 of 43 (14652 views)
Shortcut
Yes, please share! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love seeing things other people have made. Please post some pics for us!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2009, 3:29am

Post #23 of 43 (14704 views)
Shortcut
Too focused on the filling.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Huh, I must admit I have always been too focused on the man in the costume to pay attention to the details Blush I can't help it but swallow every time I see Viggo as a ranger Wink Great costume though! Again, amazing work on details. It's hard to believe what the designers did considering how many people didn't even notice their work besides the beautiful dresses or mantles. They have my sincere admiration! Thank you for this thread, I love it!

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board!

I believe

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 14 2009, 3:53pm

Post #24 of 43 (14697 views)
Shortcut
ha...well, uh, usually I notice other things than his boots! [In reply to] Can't Post

So I applaud you for your ability to get as far as his feet!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 14 2009, 3:58pm

Post #25 of 43 (14717 views)
Shortcut
The costume "is" Strider in a lot of ways... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really do admire that they came up with costumes that told a story as well as just looked darn great on everyone. This is one of the best!

Glad you found time to do another one of these, thanks!

Weaver

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.