Network(s) of exsisting friends
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 12 2009, 9:00pm

Post #151 of 202 (1000 views)
Shortcut
whoosh [In reply to] Can't Post

the sound that joke made as it sped past my humor impaired brain. But I'm missing a gall bladder so either that explains my humor impairment or perhaps I could imitate his gall bladder instead.

I will say though (to distract you from the concept that I am so humor impaired) that I was trying to determine whether an old file on my computer (at work) was still in use. It is a high school level (and I'd say fairly moderate high school level) type exam that is given to people enrolling in our college that can't provide recent school transcripts. It apparently proves them worthy in some way although I'm not privy as to what that way is.

The first page was a list of words and you had to pick (from a choice of three) the best definition. Words included: quagmire, fiscal, camaraderie, articulate, and emulate. Standing with us as we looked the test over was the Director of Education who has a masters degree. She couldn't provide the correct definition of any of the words.

I got nothing to say on that.

except.. was the joke playing on the similarity of the words emulate and imitate? oh... given enough time, I can get some of them. ;P

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 12 2009, 9:01pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 12 2009, 9:03pm

Post #152 of 202 (1004 views)
Shortcut
In my youth... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I was often considered the epitome of a bad example.

But I've gotten way too old and tired to uphold my former image.

But, er, *mumble*thanksforthecompliment*cough*.

Blush

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 12 2009, 9:07pm

Post #153 of 202 (913 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I might chose *what* I want to emulate. I can just imagine the sorts of stuff you might be up for.

epitome... I wonder if that was in that word list, too.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2009, 9:14pm

Post #154 of 202 (945 views)
Shortcut
Heh, [In reply to] Can't Post

I was poking fun that one thing *in* Darkstone worth emulating is something *inside* Darkstone - e.g. a body organ.

Thin, I know.

I'll go back into Stealth Admin mode now.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 12 2009, 9:31pm

Post #155 of 202 (945 views)
Shortcut
It's true. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's my echocardiagrams that draw the most spectators. I think even the janitor stopped in to express an opinon.

Meanwhile I'm in the machine with my arms stetched out over my head.

It's like being the guest victim on CSI.

"Now whatever you do don't move a muscle, Mr. Morgan. Hey, Joe! Nice you stopped by! Hey, did you hear the joke about...."

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

orcbane
Gondor

Mar 12 2009, 9:59pm

Post #156 of 202 (936 views)
Shortcut
I public apology is done for all to see, [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was not made because I thought nothing wrong with your comments after all. But as for my:

"I believe a troll lives inside many of us, men in particular."

Here is another

"War is hell": and actual combat primarily waged by men.

I took your "I take offence to that" as either disingenuious posing or trying to create an offence out of a philosophic and personnal observation statement. I still do.

But before you find further objection to my second statement, I wear my wife's dogtag on a chain around my neck, and know there are exceptions. I have served and worked side by side with women all along.

My experience is not from some pretend World of Warcraft, but the real ******* thing for 27 years. It is there I learned most about the troll inside, and it can come out of even of the best of people. But really any profession leads down the same road of life and many civilian jobs are essentially just as stressfull in the long run.

That is the most civil I can be. Still have a problem ? Go PM or to a Mod.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 12 2009, 10:00pm

Post #157 of 202 (886 views)
Shortcut
ahh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

please don't use the success of my getting a joke as a measurement of the joke's worthiness. It's kind of one of the things I'm known for among RL friends.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 10:38pm

Post #158 of 202 (926 views)
Shortcut
I believe that dear Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

was able to express something that had dogged me for a long time. I feel very much Magpie as you do. And i appreciate the inititive to bring your feelings out.
You too dreamdeer, i read your comments and i agree with you also. I have too always liked your posts-your way of saying things.
I had to quick say something because i have to scoot to my brother in law the mechanic to fix my rambling wreck. I'd like to come back and catch more of this:). You guys are greatSmile.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 12 2009, 11:33pm

Post #159 of 202 (916 views)
Shortcut
Amateurs, yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those who pursue a vocation for the love of it.

Life is beautiful and dangerous! Beware! Enjoy!

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 12 2009, 11:55pm

Post #160 of 202 (883 views)
Shortcut
Wow--thanks, Magpie! // [In reply to] Can't Post

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2009, 12:16am

Post #161 of 202 (918 views)
Shortcut
You've reminded me of my most recent mammogram. :P [In reply to] Can't Post

No spectators, but the technician did manage to get distracted at the most uncomfortable times.

Ow.

~~~~~~~~

The TORNsib formerly known as Galadriel.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 12:29am

Post #162 of 202 (897 views)
Shortcut
...and are not bound [In reply to] Can't Post

by the well-researched publications, UUTs, or fanfiction-in-disguise of even the most well-known Tolkien Scholars -- meaning no disrespect to them as are accounted experts, but they don't have all the answers or all the best ideas. I just like to see the masses think for themselves a little more often and lean a little bit less on the giants of the fandom. Who knows...one of us commoners might even come up with something that sends the Scholars racing down a new path of discovery! :)
*crosses fingers, prays that didn't come off too badly...*

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 12:35am

Post #163 of 202 (915 views)
Shortcut
Busted again... [In reply to] Can't Post

hey I'm working on that. Who needs FB when you have TORn? Wink

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 13 2009, 1:05am

Post #164 of 202 (898 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Dreamdeer [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Your dad's wisdom is so true.

{{{{{Dreamdeer}}}}}

Warning - over washing may cause colour to fade

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Ufthak
Rivendell

Mar 13 2009, 1:16am

Post #165 of 202 (915 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but you made it too easy. [In reply to] Can't Post

We've discovered that you're quick to jump to conclusions (my offence was genuine, I think statements like that encourage bad gender roles and expectations), you are happy to ignore a poster's serious points until directly challenged to address them, you prefer snappy one-liners to discussion, and you can be made to degenerate into name-calling within the space of one post.

You've pretty much just demonstrated a "what's what" of the things an admin should NOT be and should NOT do, yet you're calling to be made one of them. Congratulations. Or, in the words of the internet generation: 3P1C FA1L!!1!

Ufthak out.

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2009, 2:27am

Post #166 of 202 (856 views)
Shortcut
Amen to both of those. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2009, 3:41am

Post #167 of 202 (839 views)
Shortcut
*chuckle* [In reply to] Can't Post

And I appreciate your Entish wisdom! Wink

Thank you, M, that really means a lot to me.

Traveling Journal Official Site

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

It’s always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2009, 3:43am

Post #168 of 202 (854 views)
Shortcut
I think that's a neat idea too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't been keeping up well in the RR at all but I could probably manage to participate in something like that.

Where's Frodo?

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 13 2009, 3:45am

Post #169 of 202 (846 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's why I love being on a board full of all sorts of people who haven't "dithered away their years"! I was actually just recently talking with a good friend about what makes someone old. In my opinion, people become old when they stop caring about learning, when people love those opportunities that you're talking about, and totally grab them and use them. I've always thought that's the coolest thing about people, when they love to learn like that! It makes life far more interesting.

Thank you, Dreamdeer! Smile

Traveling Journal Official Site

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

It’s always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 5:18am

Post #170 of 202 (848 views)
Shortcut
Champion-Bully [In reply to] Can't Post

A champion-bully is the most subtle form of troll. This person will take a genuine offense and blow it out of all proportion, so as to be the champion. Then this person will keep an eye on the offender to find more offenses to blow out of proportion, and then valiantly defend the entire board from the offender, so as to take pride in being a champion. The problem is, the champion-bully does not really want the other person to reform, and will in fact keep goading this person to try and keep him offending, so as to have many chances to step in and Save the Day. The CB phrases all corrections in as inflammatory a fashion as possible--not the actions of someone who genuinely wants a happy board, and not an effective strategy for persuading someone to change. Rather, it guarantees that the offender cannot reform without losing face.

Champion-bullies often don't realize what they're doing. They aren't necessarily bad people. Once they realize what they're doing, they can take a deep breath, step back, and find better ways to deal with offenders than joining them in offense.

I know, I used to be that way. I used to think that "winning" meant vanquishing someone. Now I realize that that's the surest way to lose, to keep flames going and prevent real reform. Someone in a dream once told me, "You shouldn't jump into a pig-sty to wrestle every pig that grunts at you." I had a lot to learn! I now know that I have never changed the opinion of anyone that I didn't love. I have to find something loveable in the other in order to reach him or her, even if is simply that that other person is a child of the Creator.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Mar 13 2009, 5:22am

Post #171 of 202 (827 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* I think for me it's mainly the time issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

>I need a certain amount of time and focus to give proper attention to a true discussion.<

Ditto this. I've occasionally lurked in the reading room and thought, "Oh, what an interesting post! I'd like to respond to that." But I know that by the time I put together any kind of coherent response, containing anything approaching the level of knowledge in the original post, the thread would have long since scrolled off the board, and there'd be little point (other than my own education of course, but there are probably other things I should be studying first).

And then I wind up not going into RR at all, because it makes me sad to see posts I'd like to respond to, knowing that I can't.

And if I put all that time into a post, and someone shot it down in some way . . . gee, I don't even want to think about that . . .

>"How do those who engage in archetypical criticism test their theories. I'm concerned that this might go the way of Freudian criticism or analysis based on Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey, both of which seem to set aside the author's conscious intent, and therefore become difficult to prove or disprove".<

See, using this example -- right now I'm fighting off a really strong urge to Google "archtypical criticism" and Freud and "Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey" (the first and third of which I've never heard of in my life, and I don't know much about Freud either), and please don't tell me how interesting they are because it's 1 AM and I really need to go to sleep. And maybe one day I'll be able to research those topics and write a reply to that post -- and if any TORnsibs are still around then they'll just laugh at me for answering a question from years ago.

The posts with references to historical events especially give me a lot of trouble. I went to NYC public schools, and they didn't teach us any history at all. I mean, nothing -- literally no mention of either of the world wars, or . . . er . . . those other important historical things. Yes, I know that as I get older, it's less and less appropriate to blame my early education for my own lack of knowledge, because certainly I can study history on my own --- and I fully intend to -- but there are only so many hours in a day. So if someone writes a post about some specific experience Tolkien had as a soldier, I have to do a lot of research before I can even begin to understand their post, let alone add anything new to the thread. But it's not from lack of wanting to.

Re physical pain, I have the opposite problem, where I get injured without noticing it, which is dangerous . . .

Darn it, now it's 1:20 and I'm still writing . . . . sorry for somewhat rambling post . . .

Thanks for your thought-provoking post, Magpie.

"Wretched fool! In that land he would learn much, too much for his comfort. And sooner or later as he lurked and pried on the borders he would be caught, and taken -- for examination. That was the way of it, I fear."

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 13 2009, 1:40pm

Post #172 of 202 (815 views)
Shortcut
We'd need a sticky explaining The Drinking Game. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ufthak
Rivendell

Mar 13 2009, 4:03pm

Post #173 of 202 (821 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A champion-bully is the most subtle form of troll.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

Seriously, I didn't even have to do any vanquishing here. He brought up an old dispute from a year or more ago in reaction to a genuine post from me, so I thought I'd let him show his suitability for the role of admin, and he came through with flying colours. Just not in the direction he wanted.

First rule of admin-ing is "don't feed the trolls". If he felt strongly enough about my disagreeableness (that's a word, honest) he should have just ignored me; instead, he responded provocatively to my username whilst ignoring or dismissing the content of my post. And you can call me what you want, but I think you'll struggle to argue with that.

He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"

Ufthak
Rivendell

Mar 13 2009, 4:34pm

Post #174 of 202 (842 views)
Shortcut
By the way [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira has pointed out to me that it's possible you were not talking about me. Since your post was a response to mine, I assumed you were.

If you were not, I apologise for jumping to conclusions. This is just yet more evidence why I would NOT make a good admin <:<p

If you were... uh yeah, see above.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 13 2009, 4:49pm

Post #175 of 202 (823 views)
Shortcut
Clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

In defining a champion-bully (and you can, of course, decide whether or not the shoe fits) the grievances are justified, but the exaggeration of the response is not.

Feeding trolls, to my mind, means giving them their basest desire by sinking to their level in flaming right back. Healing trolls involves offering them a way out. I don't ignore people with good intentions, who want something better than what they've gotten tangled in.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.