Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien Reading Day is March 25: What should the RR do to celebrate?

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 12 2009, 9:11pm

Post #1 of 21 (5298 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Reading Day is March 25: What should the RR do to celebrate? Can't Post

No, now listen, honestly people: we are the READING room. You know, "reading". Get it? And there is an actual verifiable Tolkien READING Day, as in the day the world stops everything and reads something by Tolkien (right? isn't that what happens in your part of the world???)!

So all right, I guess we don't have time to plan a MOOT or anything. Maybe we can teleconference....hmmm, I am trying to imagine my tech person not breaking into hysterical laughter when I ask him to set up a tele-room for me to conference so I can read Tolkien with my friends.

HAH, that will be a cold day in, ahem.

Well, maybe we can all pause at 12 noon in whatever time zone we're in and read the first chapter of Hobbit?

For serious, here is the link to the Tolkien Society's page about Tolkien Reading Day. I seriously cannot tell if this was only in 2003, or if this is supposed to be a yearly thing. Can someone who celebrates or has celebrated this day comment?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana

Call Her Emily

sador
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 9:21pm

Post #2 of 21 (5003 views)
Shortcut
Probably take a day off [In reply to] Can't Post

To relax a bit, after the beating we receive down at Feedback:Pirate
As for myself, it being a couple of days after my wife's birthday, I will probably still be wondering what to buy her

"They always wished to talk to everything, the old Elves did" - Treebeard

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 12 2009, 9:46pm

Post #3 of 21 (4987 views)
Shortcut
**sings: "she drinks a lager drink, she drinks a cider drink" [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably take a day off to relax a bit, after the beating we receive down at Feedback

We get knocked down, but we get up again, they're never going to keep us down.

Seriously. Or, not.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Call Her Emily

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 12 2009, 9:46pm

Post #4 of 21 (4987 views)
Shortcut
Hey, it will be a couple of days after my husband's birthday, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't have to wonder what to buy him. He always buys himself train stuff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 12 2009, 9:50pm

Post #5 of 21 (4991 views)
Shortcut
For serious [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe we could invite people to post their favorite Tolkien quotes, and see how much independent overlap there is. Or maybe ask people to post their favorite Tolkien quotes that they think nobody else will post, and see how much overlap there is in that. We might find some great obscure stuff.

I can't read the first chapter of the Hobbit at noon, though, because I'm going to be in class talking about conic sections. Which aren't nearly as funny as the comic section. Sorry, babbling again...

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 10:17pm

Post #6 of 21 (4996 views)
Shortcut
I propose that we discuss what day the Ring was *really* unmade, [In reply to] Can't Post

and the significance of March 25 or lack thereof, and the importance of the Appendix on calendars or lack thereof, and whether Tolkien's obsession with calendars distracts from the profound message of LotR, or whether the hobbits were obsessed with calendars, or whether some Gondor scribe added that appendix, or -- wait, I guess we've already done that! I guess I'll go back to my usual, lying half naked on a volcanic rock waiting for a giant eagle to rescue me, like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin. Smile

Sorry, I actually like the idea of reading the first chapter of The Hobbit, but I'm afraid I'm otherwise occupied at noon. Maybe you can just start a thread at noon with the post "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." Then we can each add a sentence to the thread. But wait, that might violate copyright restrictions.

Hmm, perhaps we can each recall the first time we read something by Tolkien? That might be fun, although my memory is quite fuzzy. Or maybe we can just trade Tolkien anecdotes, including things that happened on this board -- but not movie anecdotes, book or Reading Room anecdotes. Like the first time we posted in the Reading Room, or memorable Reading Room denizens who are no longer here, or the first time we read something by Tolkien, or the last time we read something by Tolkien, or a time when Tolkien moved us to tears, or our favorite "aha!" moment involving Tolkien's books, or our favorite obscure Tolkien quote, or, well, you get the idea.

But again, I won't be available at precisely noon. I think we should make it an all-day thread, whatever we do. Or a collection of threads, if people have ideas for different threads.

cloudland
Bree

Mar 12 2009, 10:34pm

Post #7 of 21 (4976 views)
Shortcut
I like this idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Not everyone thus far can be reading during the noon day hour. But if we all posted our favorite quotes, I'll be we'll have a wonderful collection from many different sources. This is easy and everyone can participate.

Lucky me though, during that hour is my lunch break. Smile My tradition is I read the Ainulindale, Valaquenta and Of the Beginning of Days from The Sil. Most times I end up reading the whole book after that.

Does anyone else have a traditional reading? And if so what is it?

cloudland (kloud'land'), n. 1. the sky. 2. a region of daydreams, imaginations, etc.; dreamland.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 12 2009, 11:25pm

Post #8 of 21 (4974 views)
Shortcut
Virtual party? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know, this isn't a role-playing site. But we could let our hair down for one day. Whatever we do, it should be fun!

Life is beautiful and dangerous! Beware! Enjoy!

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 12 2009, 11:50pm

Post #9 of 21 (4976 views)
Shortcut
Beating? Or a thumping hard massage? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would consider what's happening more therapeutic than punitive, personally. I think that we will come out the better for it in the long run.

Although I disagree with much of the original post that started the whole "Network(s) of exsisting friends " thread in "Feedback", I think some important points have surfaced regarding the Reading Room, that don't come from the original poster. I do want to see the same sorts of discussions continue, as they have a lot to offer. I just wish to see the repertoire expand to include other kinds of book discussion as well. The consensus that seems to be rising is not that there is anything wrong with the more scientific kinds of discussion, but that we have been conveying the impression that it's the only "right" way to discuss a book. I've been missing a broader spectrum, myself. I have a voracious brain that wants a varied diet. And when so many good people step forward to express a feeling of having been driven away, I think we need to look at that.

I didn't even notice that we had a Feedback forum until this came up. I'm glad I looked there. I think that everyone here should at least read the thread and make up their own minds as to what does or does not apply here.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 13 2009, 3:34am

Post #10 of 21 (4964 views)
Shortcut
I can try [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll put a note in my calendar, and I'll read the first chapter during my lunch break. Great idea, a.s.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Mar 13 2009, 8:42pm

Post #11 of 21 (4960 views)
Shortcut
You could always try for noon -- [In reply to] Can't Post

-- in Fiji time. Preferably in the shade.

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 15 2009, 11:12pm

Post #12 of 21 (4965 views)
Shortcut
Before it drops off the board, a wrap-up and suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems there is at least some interest in celebrating Tolkien Reading Day in the RR. Several good suggestions, here and in another thread.

I'd like to simply start a "celebrate Tolkien Reading Day Today" thread on Weds morning, March 25. It's a Wednesday, so that means I'll be posting one of my weekly book review threads in OT anyway. I will mention and crosslink to our celebration, and ask for people to contribute thoughts or plans, such as:
  • invite people to post their favorite quotes
  • first, last Tolkien readings
  • "ah-hah" Tolkien moments
  • what is your favorite? questions
  • how are you celebrating? questions
  • a "read a page in honor" reminder
  • and stuff like those there (all right, it's Sunday night, my brain is tired)

OK by all in the RR?

There is no reason to only have one post, although it might be fun to see how many we can get to "read a page" and say what they are reading on that day.

Unless I hear otherwise, I will plan to do this on the am of March 25 (Eastern US Time).

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Call Her Emily

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2009, 11:53pm

Post #13 of 21 (4950 views)
Shortcut
Umm... Are the non-regulars who are on the other side of the baricade... [In reply to] Can't Post

allowed to celebrate Tolkien in the RR that day? I would love to somehow celebrate it, whatever is decided, I'm all for it! Smile

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on the Main board!

I believe

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 16 2009, 12:54am

Post #14 of 21 (4930 views)
Shortcut
Okay by me.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 16 2009, 12:57am

Post #15 of 21 (4943 views)
Shortcut
Allowed? [In reply to] Can't Post

What barricade? People have expressed feeling uncomfortable, and the regulars have quite humbly asked how they can make others feel more comfortable. We're still working out the details, but I don't see this as a barricade issue. I spoke up because I had confidence that if I did, it would turn out that those who had made me uncomfortable had done so inadvertantly, and would much rather have me talk about it than have me slink away without any discussion. I have that confidence because they really are nice people.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Mar 16 2009, 1:00am

Post #16 of 21 (4933 views)
Shortcut
It sounds terrific! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm cutting paper lanterns for the party tree even as we speak. (Virtually, anyway!)

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 16 2009, 1:10am

Post #17 of 21 (4966 views)
Shortcut
"...ask for people to contribute thoughts or plans..." [In reply to] Can't Post

In a virtual world, there are only virtual barricades, so just walk right through them, they are not real.

Heart

I'm really hoping by cross-posting in an OT thread, we will get a good response. The more, the merrier.

(**note to self: check that we have enough kegs on order**)

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Call Her Emily

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 16 2009, 2:18am

Post #18 of 21 (4925 views)
Shortcut
Sure, go for it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 16 2009, 2:53am

Post #19 of 21 (4925 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great a.s. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping I can join in! Thanks for pulling this together.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2009, 8:23pm

Post #20 of 21 (4914 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I was kidding! Just my wicked sense of humour :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Mar 16 2009, 8:25pm

Post #21 of 21 (5175 views)
Shortcut
Great! I'm in, I'm in! :))) Hugs {a.s.} // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.