They are putting in a Rollerball floor as we speak Wink

Ufthak
Rivendell

Mar 11 2009, 11:40pm

Post #77 of 202 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I I believe a troll lives inside many of us, men in particular.

Personally, I find that offensive.

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Basically, I'm the TORn equivalent of Hulk Hogan. I don't do anyone any favours by reappearing now and then to the apparent adulation of the uneducated masses and doing something shamelessly self-centred, but I'm somehow largely tolerated nonetheless and my reputation is rather more impressive than any actual contribution I have made."

-Me

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 11 2009, 11:46pm

Post #78 of 202 (1220 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I post a lot, but it's mostly fly-by stuff snuck in at work, and I don't really feel like I have the time to prepare a book discussion, which is why I've never volunteered to lead one. That and I have a very real recurring nightmare of standing up in front of class and discovering that I'm supposed to be teaching an English class instead of a math class. (At which point in the dream I'm usually also late to class and naked, but that's another matter.)

And I do think the teens we have on TORn are exceptionally bright people, with or without taking age into account.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 11 2009, 11:48pm

Post #79 of 202 (1217 views)
Shortcut
But we'd love to hear your thoughts! [In reply to] Can't Post

A first reading is a precious experience, and it's really fun for people who have read the books many times to hear what those new impressions are.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 11 2009, 11:51pm

Post #80 of 202 (1218 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm proud to have been personally shouted at in all caps by Nimrodel, and even prouder to have been scolded by Xoanon, many years ago. It was worth it, to know that our brave admins are beating the bounds for us and keeping out the trolls. Even an old auntie needs keeping in line now and then.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 12:40am

Post #81 of 202 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I have "taken the bull by the horns" recently and decided to lead some chapters there. Sadly my lead for ROTK was interrupted by RL, though NEB did post the questions I came up with.

But I must admit I was far more nervous about leading those threads than any others I have here. Was actually more nervous over them than my first post, mainly because some of the regulars in RR are very intimidating and, possibly unconsciously, make comments that make you feel stupid.

I do still mostly lurk the RR as a result, though I am going to try and lead another chapter this time of The Hobbit, and I'll apologise now, if my questions aren't quite of the University level that others will come up with. I tend to go for the same things as Inferno mentioned.

Warning - over washing may cause colour to fade

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 12:43am

Post #82 of 202 (1195 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

but you do the "BOO" bit pretty well Laugh

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 12:51am

Post #83 of 202 (1231 views)
Shortcut
I refuse to comment [In reply to] Can't Post

on the grounds that the preceding comment is completely off topic.

batik
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2009, 1:16am

Post #84 of 202 (1197 views)
Shortcut
adding to your tuppence :)... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is pretty much just what I do, too...

My feeling has always been that if there's something I'm not interested in (like the Lost thread), I just skip over it.That's very easy to do if I view the board in collapsed mode to get an overview of topics being discussed. Then I go to threaded mode to look in more detail at the ones I'm interested in (I can collapse the others if they're in the way), and maybe go to flat mode if I feel like I want a quick look at what everyone in the thread has said. Using that method, I hardly ever notice the stickies, which may or may not be a good thing. At any rate, they don't get in my way.

But I do NOT skip over the "Lost" thread Cool.
This method allows me to see if there is anything new in the *regulars* as well as what new threads have been posted--then read more in depth if I wish to do so.
I don't come anywhere near close to posting in all the weekly threads but do enjoy reading through most of them. Don't see that there are too many--what? 3 in OT, 2-3 each in Main and LOTR plus the RR discussion threads? I suppose 2-3 *regulars* plus a couple/three stickeys does eat up alot of space but I have my settings...um...set to display more than the default number of threads per page so the dropping off the page deal is less of an issue than it may be for some.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 1:27am

Post #85 of 202 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Your questions were fine! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the response was warm -- I'm certainly looking forward to your Hobbit chapter.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 9-15 for Languages, Peoples, and Translation.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 1:29am

Post #86 of 202 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Thanks NEB [In reply to] Can't Post

but then you also know that I'm not as confident as I sometimes appear.

*hugs*

Kel x

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 1:31am

Post #87 of 202 (1230 views)
Shortcut
Sorry. [In reply to] Can't Post

You've led some excellent, in-depth discussions. In referring to the younger contributors like yourself, I meant only to emphasize that participation in the Reading Room requires no particular level of education or experience. Thanks for your hard work!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 9-15 for Languages, Peoples, and Translation.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2009, 1:31am

Post #88 of 202 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Even better [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's have a Bottom 10 weekly thread where we discuss which were the worst weekly threads in the past week and why. Then we can have a discussion about whether it's the thread starting date that qualifies for the weekly thread, or the most recent post that is the determining factor. Because it's very important to draw distinctions.
B

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

batik
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2009, 1:39am

Post #89 of 202 (1226 views)
Shortcut
psst...don't tell this to anyone else but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had only read LotR once (and not very thoroughly at that, I think) when I joined here in June. Getting involved in the RR discussions shortly afterwards was uncharacteristically bold of me since I felt quite unqualified to *discuss* squat with the likes of those really- up-on-their-Tolkien-posters/folks. However, everyone is just folks--I haven't *felt* stupid for posting there (thanks, folks!) and if the level of conversation is beyond me I just think uh-huh that's nice and wait for something more *batik-friendly* to come around.
So---what'd ya think? When The Hobbit comes up and I *discuss* Bilbo's buttons in "Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire"---think you'll jump in some costume-oriented/related thoughts? come on....

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2009, 1:46am

Post #90 of 202 (1219 views)
Shortcut
No, no, [In reply to] Can't Post

it's fine. I just get a bit touchy when people start getting into the realm of belittling me a bit on account of age. Your replies to my discussions have always been fun to read, and thoughtfully written (well, I mean, relatively thoughtfully written Wink).

Traveling Journal Official Site

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

It’s always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Mar 12 2009, 1:54am

Post #91 of 202 (1204 views)
Shortcut
It's fine- [In reply to] Can't Post

I was mostly speaking in reply to Darkstone's post, and I did not mean to sound rude there, either. You said nothing wrong; I was just snapping at what I saw as a potentially disparaging post (and, seeing it at the end of a long and frustrating day). I was pretty sure it was a joke, but I just sometimes get worried that that sort of thing might sort of unconsciously escalate and end up with me getting a lot less respect than I'd like. It sounds silly, maybe, but it is one of the things that I don't want to happen.

No worries! Smile

Traveling Journal Official Site

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

It’s always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 2:20am

Post #92 of 202 (1234 views)
Shortcut
....a weeky thlead disrussing all the leekly krads and tow hey lorked wast leek? [In reply to] Can't Post

You broke my tongueTongue.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 12 2009, 2:24am

Post #93 of 202 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Does this mean that I can't have a weekly Top 10 Most Gluggable Posts? // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 2:41am

Post #94 of 202 (1137 views)
Shortcut
*snarf / [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 12 2009, 2:54am

Post #95 of 202 (1208 views)
Shortcut
I honestly think [In reply to] Can't Post

that everyone at TORn greatly esteems you, L. For real. You hold your own in everything and the only way in which your youth makes you stand out is in your energy. I - as an old fart - have none. I appreciate it in the young. :P

The only person who could think of giving you less respect than you deserve clearly doesn't know you.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 3:03am

Post #96 of 202 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Well put Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I've never really given much thought to any of our ages.

And Laera, you're one of the things I love most about these boards, and like Magpie, could really use some of your energy.

{{{{{Laerasëa and Magpie}}}}}

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

orcbane
Gondor

Mar 12 2009, 3:07am

Post #97 of 202 (1205 views)
Shortcut
As one of the newer members, relatively speaking [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not met you before, though I have seen your name a few times. I have been around for about 2 years I think. I am glad you responded and find your view behind the scenes very informative. I usually find the secret world of moderators interesting when the veil is pulled aside. And I must say the technical aspects are very aggressively worked on, and when someone points out a problem there is a very fast response here.

'Doing this or doing that' is not really the issue here. I consider most of my reccommendations minor, almost cosmetic, and mainly aimed towards freshening things up. Like you change the arrangement of your living room from time to time. Yet there is some method to my madness, in that they or other better ideas might help break up the ice. And a few, who have been shooting the moving targets at the arcade booth too long, need to be tapped on the shoulder and told they have used up their fifty cents.

As far as one judges between someone you know well & someone you don't. You probably shouldn't be really, if the person you do not know has been around the last two years and you haven't. I still am trying to think this thru so I will hold off saying anything more today.

When I have been a leader of a group, I like and aggressively seek feedback. I like to know how people are doing and what they think the problems are. I always make certain to especially seek the opinions of the quietest and least heard from members. Makes for better group dynamics and improves morale. If I heard anyone say they are intimidated, that would catch my immediate attention, if I heard it from multiple people, I would not be sitting around saying nothing is broke.

I am used to very blunt and colorful feedback. Probably beyond your wildest imagination. Laugh But it does save time and is in fact for the good of the group, orientated.

orcbane
Gondor

Mar 12 2009, 3:13am

Post #98 of 202 (1204 views)
Shortcut
I would never ask you to be disloyal [In reply to] Can't Post

(he says in a gravelly voice) but there is a years supply of

in it for you, if you are willing to defect at the proper moment. Laugh

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Mar 12 2009, 3:15am

Post #99 of 202 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Oh please do! I'd support it ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

One book to find them
And in TORn bind them

orcbane
Gondor

Mar 12 2009, 3:31am

Post #100 of 202 (1154 views)
Shortcut
JEG tenker ikke av du som tinkerbell [In reply to] Can't Post

More like the Great and Mighty OZ

Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.