Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Greg Lane: Orc of a Thousand Faces

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 2 2009, 6:29am

Post #1 of 7 (991 views)
Shortcut
Greg Lane: Orc of a Thousand Faces Can't Post

Last week Tehanu had the privilege of spending an hour with Greg Lane, LOTR stuntman, and hearing some stories about the four years he spent working on the trilogy. Perhaps his most unforgettable role was as the “berserker orc” who sprints towards the wall of Helm’s Deep like a combination All Black and Olympic torchbearer, diving to detonate Saruman’s secret mine and blowing up the wall. But Lane appeared in many more memorable scenes – flying across the chamber of Orthanc as Saruman’s double during the ‘Wizard-Fu’ fight, and as Isildur’s double, floating down the Anduin with a back full of arrows.

Read the rest of this entry

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Mar 2 2009, 9:58am

Post #2 of 7 (530 views)
Shortcut
Good read! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a really good article and it was interesting to hear Greg's story. What an amazing time he had, but also a very physically and mentally chanllenging one! Was he featured at all in the making-of dvds?

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

Formerly known as Rosie!

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 2 2009, 3:29pm

Post #3 of 7 (498 views)
Shortcut
“I want you to do it like that, only without the falling on your backside part of it.” [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great article!

What troopers these guys (and gals) were.

___
Lane would start “in the chair” at 2pm and make it onto the set around 2am.
___

12 hours in makeup?! Amazing!

And...he says he broke an ankle and a wrist - I can't imagine how he even continued working. No wonder they were on painkillers. That is wonderful that they started a guild for the stuntpeople, they need that kind of structure and protection.

This part made me smile too - sounds a bit like our Eowyn, doesn't he:
___
Currently, Lane is setting up a business growing and supplying organic vegetable plants and produce. He has sourced many unusual heirloom varieties in unusual colours. He particularly likes growing purple varieties.
___

Really enjoyed that article - thanks, Altaira!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 3 2009, 12:26am

Post #4 of 7 (444 views)
Shortcut
Great story [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoyed the read very much Erica, thanks for the work.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 3 2009, 3:58am

Post #5 of 7 (456 views)
Shortcut
'On the night they filmed “the shot”, [In reply to] Can't Post

they found the torch was too heavy to carry. It also had a live flare which kept burning the orcs around him.'

Yep, that sounds like PJ's influence on the props department again. Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

debo
Rohan

Mar 3 2009, 10:10am

Post #6 of 7 (433 views)
Shortcut
Great article- thanks very much!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2009, 8:31pm

Post #7 of 7 (465 views)
Shortcut
That was great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I could hear the stories of everyone who was a part of making these films. Each of the tales I've heard has left me with the same, gratified feeling of how wonderful they all were/are and how much of themselves they put into their part. Wonderful!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.