The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I need a little computer help

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 7:37pm

Post #1 of 19 (631 views)
Shortcut
I need a little computer help Can't Post

While this really has nothing to do with the boards, I do need a bit of help with something. I hope someone more computer savvy than I knows what to do. I'm terribly computer illiterate. Blush

I recently bought a new computer (running Windows XP, Media Center Edition) and of course transferred all my necessary files from the old one. They were just pics and text files and such, things I don't access all that often. Well, today I went to open a little picture file and couldn't get it to open no matter what I tried. The problem is that it's an ".art" file, and no program that I have will open it. This is a big problem in that I have *many* .art files, most of those from LotR. Shocked Does anyone know of a program that will open these, or how to change them to .jpg or another format so that they will open with what I have? I'd hate to have to delete them. I may need them someday to put into a message board post!

I know there are a lot of knowledgeable computer-types here. Anyone out there have any suggestions?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Heart

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 12 2007, 7:43pm

Post #2 of 19 (492 views)
Shortcut
Opening them in Photoshop might do it. [In reply to] Can't Post

From there you can save it to another format.

If you want to test this, email one of your (smaller) .art files to me and I'll give it a go - ataahua at theonering dot net.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Advising Elf
Rohan

Apr 12 2007, 7:47pm

Post #3 of 19 (495 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.fileinfo.net/extension/art

If you still have your old computer it would probably be best to convert them to .jpg's there, then copy them over to your new computer.

If not, you might be able to find a place on the web that will conver them. I saw one link (on the page that the above linktakes you to) that offers to convert files for free. I'd be careful, though. Things that are free usually aren't.

Yahoo!Group with good stuff to download:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTRgoodies/

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 7:49pm

Post #4 of 19 (481 views)
Shortcut
You have mail! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for the quick response! I just sent you a little avatar pic. If it works, I guess I'll have to go out and buy Photoshop!

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 7:54pm

Post #5 of 19 (502 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, AE! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll keep that in mind in case nothing else works. I know what you mean about 'free stuff' not always being free. I tend to be suspicious of things like that myself.

Good thing I didn't get rid of the old 'puter yet! Although I hate to have to resort to setting it all up again, it may be the best way to remedy the situation. Unimpressed

Thanks again!

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 12 2007, 8:21pm

Post #6 of 19 (526 views)
Shortcut
Don't impulsively buy Photoshop unless you want it... [In reply to] Can't Post

There may be other ways to open the file.

My son uses a free (open source) image editing program called GIMP that might open it.

.art seems to be associated with America Online.

If Photoshop works and you want it, great. But it's not cheap and if you don't want it for anything other than that, we may have other options.

Helpful or out of date info?

more helpful info?

Enjoy the LOTR movie soundtracks?
Why not join us for fun and discussion in
the current Movie Music Trivia Game.

SPECIAL *APRIL* EDITION OF THE GAME

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 12 2007, 8:27pm)

Sherry
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 8:30pm

Post #7 of 19 (497 views)
Shortcut
GIMP [In reply to] Can't Post

is pretty decent. I use it in Linux and used to use it in XP when I ran that. Its decent shareware and as you said, free :) Many people use it. Its trustworthy.

It can be a bit fiddly in some respects, but for the usual day to day stuff its pretty straightforward.

And AOL is evil :p I really don't like their control mindset for users.

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

Sherry
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 8:36pm

Post #8 of 19 (493 views)
Shortcut
Hmm I did some googling [In reply to] Can't Post

And it seems you might be able to open them in IE or another browser.

Have a look at these links, you'll need to read through the thread but there is some info contained might help.

http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-16505.html

also this one

http://www.dwightblackburn.com/aol.htm

BTW, re the second link, Opera, if it works and will open them is free and a great browser. Plug in will be easy to sort out :)

And google for 'opening .art AOL files' gave me lots of possibles :) Try variations and chances are you'll turn up something.

I'll do some more digging for you, but suggest that you avoid using .art files in the future. Avoid using any AOL tie in IMHO :p Stick with stuff that will work in everything else. AOL really does take control and that sort of thing is not good.

Hope something here helps :)

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

(This post was edited by Sherry on Apr 12 2007, 8:44pm)

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 8:58pm

Post #9 of 19 (476 views)
Shortcut
It figures [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been using AOL for years, and this is the first bit of trouble I've had with them. But it's a minor problem, with many solutions it seems.

I intended to buy Photoshop anyway, just not right now. If it solves the problem, though, I may just have to spring for it a little sooner than anticipated. Thanks for your help, Magpie! Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 12 2007, 9:13pm

Post #10 of 19 (480 views)
Shortcut
Ach, it didn't work. [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither Photoshop nor Freehand would open the file - sorry Alassea Elensar.

Maybe try the free programme that others have mentioned in this thread? Good luck!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 9:14pm

Post #11 of 19 (495 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Sherry [In reply to] Can't Post

for doing all that digging for me. I know I could've done the googling myself, and will probably still keep looking, but I appreciate the effort you put into it. Smile I was hoping for an easy solution that I could use right now, but I see it's going to take somewhat longer to find the right remedy.

Internet Explorer used to open my .art files without any problem at all, but on this new droid it just refuses to cooperate. And as I mentioned to Magpie, this is the first ever trouble I've had in 8 years of using AOL.

My brother uses the Opera browser, and also recommends it. I'll definitely look into that (or Firefox), sooner or later. Right now I'm still trying to get used to the new computer and all that goes with it. Just this past hour I've had to restart the thing 3 times to install various updates and upgrades! Never had that trouble on the old one!

My thanks again for everything you've done! You've given me a few options to consider.

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 9:20pm

Post #12 of 19 (490 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for your help! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was worth the try. I tried to open it in Paint Shop and that didn't work, either. What really annoys me is that Internet Explorer used to open it without any trouble, and now it won't. Mad

I'll probably try to find a program somewhere that will open it, or just do as AE suggests and open them on the old computer and try to convert them to .jpg files.

On the good side, this thread has given me a great opportunity to up my stats. I'll get out of the Shire eventually! Wink

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 12 2007, 9:54pm

Post #13 of 19 (466 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily an AOL thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I just found and downloaded again two of the pics that were .art files. This time they saved as .jpeg files, and I'm still using AOL. Hmmm...

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 12 2007, 10:52pm

Post #14 of 19 (484 views)
Shortcut
Definitely take a look at those webpages [In reply to] Can't Post

... that Sherry and I linked to. I think I remember seeing something about settings in AOL or IE. But without walking through the software as I'm reading the instructions, it makes no sense to me. It's possible the settings or preferences are just different on this computer than the old one.

ah the joys of a new computer. It's usually 6 weeks before I get everything back to running order again.

Enjoy the LOTR movie soundtracks?
Why not join us for fun and discussion in
the current Movie Music Trivia Game.

SPECIAL *APRIL* EDITION OF THE GAME

hatster
Rohan

Apr 13 2007, 2:48am

Post #15 of 19 (489 views)
Shortcut
I have Illustrator and would be glad to [In reply to] Can't Post

do the conversions for you. I can probably export them into whatever you need. Send me an email and we can work it out if you need.
plainhat at yahoo dot net

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

(This post was edited by hatster on Apr 13 2007, 2:50am)

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 13 2007, 6:25pm

Post #16 of 19 (477 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the offer, hatster [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have nearly 400 of these .art files, and I wouldn't even consider having you convert them when I could so easily get a program to do it myself. I really appreciate your offer to help me, though. What I *could* do, if you don't mind, is send you just one pic, to see if Illustrator will do the trick. If it does, that'll be another option for me to consider. I'll send it to you as soon as I've finished this post. Look for e-mail from Gemini654 at aol dot com.

I've managed to find a couple of these pics on the net and download them again, and this time they're coming in as .jpeg files. Maybe all I have to do is be patient in finding them all again, and save them a second time.

Thanks again, hatster! Smile

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 13 2007, 6:40pm

Post #17 of 19 (436 views)
Shortcut
hatster, the mail came back; should your e-mail be .com, instead of .net?// [In reply to] Can't Post

hatster
Rohan

Apr 13 2007, 8:43pm

Post #18 of 19 (443 views)
Shortcut
heeeeeeeee ...yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

thats what I get for answering things with a head ache. I'll check into my software. I may be able to do some bulk conversions. If so, doing it all will be a snap. Send me what you have and I'll see what I can do :-)

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Apr 13 2007, 9:19pm

Post #19 of 19 (482 views)
Shortcut
You have mail! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, hatster! Hope you're feeling better soon. It's hard to get anything done when you have a headache. Unsure

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.