Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2009, 3:54pm

Post #1 of 12 (1312 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Wins Yahoo!'s Ultimate Best Picture Contest Can't Post

I imagine TORn will soon post this, but for now:

http://oscars.movies.yahoo.com/...icture-rings-is-king

One film to rule them all...
Along with its eleven Oscars -- including Best Picture -- and its piles and piles of cash, Peter Jackson's epic saga of wizards, hobbits, and lethal jewelry can claim one more prize: according to Yahoo! Movies users it is "The Ultimate Best Picture." With over a total of over 700,000 votes cast, "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" vanquished Francis Ford Coppola's "The Godfather" to win the coveted title.

The Ultimate Best Picture - 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King'

Yahoo! users no doubt responded to LOTR's groundbreaking effects (Gollum, anyone?), the brilliantly choreographed battle scenes, the great performances by the likes of Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, and Elijah Wood, and the top-drawer source material. The trilogy itself proved to be a landmark of moviemaking if only because of its mind-boggling complex production -- simultaneously shooting all three films, using 150 locations and seven film crews, over a period of 274 days. The Academy was apparently just as bowled over by LOTR as Yahoo! Users -- it garnered 30 Oscar nominations, and seventeen wins, making it the most decorated trilogy in film history.
The road to victory for "The Lord of the Rings" as "The Ultimate Best Picture" was almost as grueling as its production. Round One featured eight brackets of five Best Picture Oscar winners fighting to the death. And it was about as gory as the Battle of Helm's Deep. The victims of Round One included such favorites as "Gladiator," which was barely bested by finalist "The Godfather," along with others like "Casablanca," "Silence of the Lambs," "Lawrence of Arabia," and "Gone with the Wind."
The eight films still standing squared off in Round Two. "The Lord of the Rings" faced its most fearsome foe in "Forrest Gump" in the tightest race of the series. At the time we called the race, "LOTR" lead by less than 1%. After voting officially ended, "Forrest" made a late surge, but the results had already been confirmed. In the semi-finals, "The Godfather, Part II" went down to "LOTR," as the first "Godfather" crushed "Schindler's List," setting the stage for this weekend's contest.
Though "The Lord of the Rings" is no doubt a major movie, I was personally disappointed that "The Godfather" didn't win. Though perhaps it lacks the impressive effects and moral certitude of "LOTR," "The Godfather" is a sweeping tale about the complicated bonds of family and corrosive effects of pursuing the American Dream at all costs. In my book, it's a movie for the ages. What I really don't understand is fervent loyalty some audiences have for "Forrest Gump." But one person's masterpiece can be another's muddle-headed treacle. In a perfect world, "Casablanca" would have beaten "Gump." But then in a perfect world, "Forrest Gump" wouldn't have won Best Picture in the first place -- "Pulp Fiction" or "The Shawshank Redemption" would have taken home the gold that year.
The other part of this entire effort we here at Yahoo! Movies have enjoyed is the thousands of user comments the topic has generated. Are you happy with the final decision or was there another film you think deserves it more? Let us know below.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2009, 5:55pm

Post #2 of 12 (819 views)
Shortcut
No kidding! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it wouldn't stand a chance against the Godspell according to Mario Puzo... after all the Godfather systematically wins any best of best pictures ranking.

Pleasant surprise... (I don't like The Godfather)

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 18 2009, 6:35pm

Post #3 of 12 (871 views)
Shortcut
Not Really [In reply to] Can't Post

Citizen Kane always gets ranked #1......

Personally, despite Orson Welles going through 27 different make-up changes, I don't think it's that great.

Currently, Godfather is #2 on AFI's updated list, filp-floped with Casablanca in the original list.

'One film to rule them all', lol...... Laugh

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 18 2009, 7:40pm

Post #4 of 12 (722 views)
Shortcut
Yay Rings! [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Lord of the Rings" faced its most fearsome foe in "Forrest Gump" in the tightest race of the series.

I really enjoyed 'Forrest Gump' but I personally don't think it is in the same league as LOTR. I'm sure there are plenty here who will disagree with me though Wink.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2009, 8:05pm

Post #5 of 12 (828 views)
Shortcut
Yay! // [In reply to] Can't Post

*Jazminatar the Brown*

_V_
Lorien

Feb 18 2009, 9:10pm

Post #6 of 12 (779 views)
Shortcut
I knew it [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

DiveTwin
Rohan

Feb 18 2009, 10:42pm

Post #7 of 12 (713 views)
Shortcut
Good Surprise [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a pleasant surprise to me as well, although I was even more surprised that it topped "Godfather II". I'm one that loves the first two Godfather movies and feel the second one is superior(dislike the third one, however). I usually have a hard time voting against "The Godfather" when it comes to great pictures - just glad LOTR was up there at the end. But no doubts on my favorite movie....

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19 2009, 1:04am

Post #8 of 12 (840 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand-clapping* Oh Yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

THIS IS AWESOME!!!! *spins in chair* Well Done!!!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Anorien
Rohan

Feb 19 2009, 1:41am

Post #9 of 12 (770 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

One move to rule them all! Or should it be a trilogy to rule them all? (hmmm)

Mar
Gondor

Feb 19 2009, 5:24am

Post #10 of 12 (738 views)
Shortcut
Do we need to watch out for [In reply to] Can't Post

being fitted with cement shoes??

Like to see them try to get a hold of our big furry feet!

Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable - fall asleep and miss your life.

Elven
Valinor

Feb 19 2009, 11:07am

Post #11 of 12 (698 views)
Shortcut
Yessss! Yay!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

the_argonath
Lorien

Feb 19 2009, 9:03pm

Post #12 of 12 (709 views)
Shortcut
Sooo cool & a nice surprise xD [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't think it'd stand a chance against Godfather, but we came through in the end!!!
Can't believe replies on the yahoo page were complaining about RotK victory!
*Big cheesy grin*

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.