Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - February 17
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19 2009, 10:57am

Post #51 of 75 (232 views)
Shortcut
Easy to say to such puntastic people! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2009, 11:33am

Post #52 of 75 (217 views)
Shortcut
Pun Ring to rule them all? // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2009, 11:37am

Post #53 of 75 (224 views)
Shortcut
Well, that explains it! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a bit of Farmer Maggot in those down-to-earth folks - no trapes'in all over their fields, if you please! Wink

March 17th? That's soon! I'd better get the shamrocks and green beer ready...Tongue

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2009, 11:43am

Post #54 of 75 (239 views)
Shortcut
The naked river [In reply to] Can't Post

Such an unpleasant journey for a ride down the river, with the depressing land all around them! But that's how Sauron works: cause depression of the soul first, then conquest is easier.

Hm, I wonder if Gandalf had a moment like Sam's, waking up and seeing the green boughs gently swaying overhead? Probably several moments like that, as his body was tended back to health in that land of healing.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19 2009, 3:06pm

Post #55 of 75 (237 views)
Shortcut
The Brown Lands [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wonder what became of the Entwives and if they had come to live there. Were they consumed (doubtful) or which direction did they travel?

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 19 2009, 3:38pm

Post #56 of 75 (219 views)
Shortcut
.made by the Pun Lord of the Ring...the Pun who can amend it to his will...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver

(This post was edited by weaver on Feb 19 2009, 3:39pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2009, 5:11pm

Post #57 of 75 (220 views)
Shortcut
Well, there's always [In reply to] Can't Post

Hal's alleged sighting of one in the northern part of the Shire!

But most may have wandered far, far to the east, seeking quiet places...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2009, 9:48am

Post #58 of 75 (275 views)
Shortcut
TIME - February 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

February 20, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The days on the River pass slowly.
(not from the appendices)
..."There was little speech and no laughter in any of the boats. Each member of the Company was busy with his own thoughts.
...The heart of Legolas was running under the stars of a summer night in some northern glade amid the beechwoods; Gimli was fingering gold in his mind, and wondering if it were fit to be wrought into the housing of the Lady's gift. Merry and Pippin in the middle boat were ill at ease, for Boromir sat muttering to himself, sometimes biting his nails, as if some restlessness or doubt consumed him, sometimes seizing a paddle and driving the boat close behind Aragorn's. Then Pippin, who sat in the bow looking back, caught a queer gleam in his eye, as he peered forward gazing at Frodo. Sam had long ago made up his mind that, though boats were maybe not as dangerous as he had been brought up to believe, they were far more uncomfortable than even he had imagined. He was cramped and miserable, having nothing to do but stare at the winter-lands crawling by and the grey water on either side of him. Even when the paddles were in use they did not trust Sam with one."

February 20, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire rebuilds.
..."The trees were the worst loss and damage, for at Sharkey's bidding they had been cut down recklessly far and wide over the Shire; and Sam grieved over this more than anything else. For one thing, this hurt would take long to heal, and only his great-grandchildren, he thought, would see the Shire as it ought to be."

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2009, 11:07am

Post #59 of 75 (235 views)
Shortcut
Gold and the Golden [In reply to] Can't Post

This gives us a look at the true Dwarven mind: gold is not a thing to be hoarded, but an item to be utilized and tended. It brings to mind Gimli's talk of how his people would treat the Glittering Caves. Interesting that he's considering whether gold is worthy of being used for Galadriel's gift! (Now I wonder - where was he keeping those strands, the rest of this journey?)

This always disturbs me: Boromir's biting his fingernails! That is so out-of-character for a Prince - and shows how disturbed he has become!

That's a curious thing about the dust from Galadriel's garden. Normally, it would indeed be a generation before any newly-planted trees could grow to a good height. But that dust, from a land where time passes slowly, had the opposite effect in the Shire, making the growth go swiftly!

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2009, 4:33pm

Post #60 of 75 (217 views)
Shortcut
I never thought of that [In reply to] Can't Post

Your idea about the time-lapse effect of Galadriel's gift makes a lot of sense. I wonder if that's related to how quickly Aragorn's sapling grew before his wedding?

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2009, 5:22pm

Post #61 of 75 (211 views)
Shortcut
But the dust [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed to stop having any affect on the trees once they were grown except to, maybe, give them beauty and endurance. It doesn't seem to keep that aging/maturing speed once they're grown :D

This part with Gimli always makes me smile. Legolas is running free, Gimli is busy with his artistry.

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2009, 2:48am

Post #62 of 75 (213 views)
Shortcut
That is a puzzle [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe each grain of dust was like one of those timed-release medicine capsules? Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2009, 2:51am

Post #63 of 75 (245 views)
Shortcut
It was planted [In reply to] Can't Post

in the same spot as the previous White Tree...maybe there was some sort of "residue" in the ground which speeded its growth!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2009, 10:33am

Post #64 of 75 (238 views)
Shortcut
TIME - February 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

February 21, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. A clever waterman; slyer than a fox and slippery as a fissssshhhh.
..."As dusk drew down on the fourth day, [Sam] was looking back over the bowed heads of Frodo and Aragorn and the following boats; he was drowsy and longed for camp and the feel of earth under his toes. Suddenly something caught his sight: at first he stared at it listlessly, then he sat up and rubbed his eyes; but when he looked again he could not see it anymore.
...That night they camped on a small eyot close to the western bank. Sam lay rolled in blankets beside Frodo. 'I had a funny dream an hour or two before we stopped, Mr. Frodo,' he said. 'Or maybe it wasn't a dream. Funny it was anyway.'
...'Well, what was it?' said Frodo, knowing that Sam would not settle down until he had told his tale, whatever it was. 'I haven't seen or thought of anything to make me smile since we left Lothlórien.'
...'It wasn't funny that way, Mr. Frodo. It was queer. All wrong, if it wasn't a dream. And you had best hear it. It was like this: I saw a log with eyes!'
...'The log's all right,' said Frodo. 'There are many in the River. But leave out the eyes!'
...'That I won't,' said Sam. 'Twas the eyes as made me sit up so to speak. I saw what I took to be a log floating along in the half-light behind Gimli's boat; but I didn't give much heed to it. Then it seemed as if the log was slowly catching us up. And that was peculiar, as you might say, seeing as we were all floating on the stream together. Just then I saw the eyes: two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log. What's more, it wasn't a log, for it had paddle-feet, like a swan's almost, only they seemed bigger, and kept dipping in and out of the water.
...'That's when I sat right up and rubbed my eyes, meaning to give a shout, if it was still there when I had rubbed the drowse out of my head. For the whatever-it-was was coming along fast now and getting close behind Gimli. But whether those two lamps spotted me moving and staring, or whether I came to my senses, I don't know. When I looked again, it wasn't there. Yet I think I caught a glimpse, with the tail of my eye, as the saying is, of something dark shooting under the shadow of the bank. I couldn't see no more eyes, though.
...I said to myself: "Dreaming again, Sam Gamgee," I said; and I said no more just then. But I've been thinking since, and now I'm not so sure. What do you make of it, Mr. Frodo?'
...I should make nothing of it but a log and the dusk and sleep in your eyes, Sam,' said Frodo, 'if this was the first time that those eyes had been seen. But it isn't. I saw them away back north before we reached Lórien. And I saw a strange creature with eyes climbing to the flet that night. Haldir saw it too. And do you remember the report of the Elves that went after the orc-band?'
...'Ah,' said Sam, 'I do; and I remember more too. I don’t like my thoughts; but thinking of one thing and another and Mr. Bilbo's stories and all, I fancy I could put a name on the creature, at a guess. A nasty name. Gollum, maybe?'
...'Yes, that is what I have feared for some time,' said Frodo. 'Ever since the night on the flet. I suppose he was lurking in Moria, and picked up our trail then; but I hoped that our stay in Lórien would throw him off the scent again. The miserable creature must have been hiding in the woods by the Silverlode, watching us start off!'
...'That' about it,' said Sam. 'And we'd better be a bit more watchful ourselves, or we'll feel some nasty fingers round our necks one of these nights, if we ever wake up to feel anything. And that's what I was leading up to. No need to trouble Strider or the others tonight. I'll keep watch. I can sleep tomorrow, being no more than luggage in a boat, as you might say.'
...'I might,' said Frodo, 'and I might say "luggage with eyes". You shall watch; but only if you promise to wake me half-way towards morning, if nothing happens before then.'"

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2009, 10:36am

Post #65 of 75 (212 views)
Shortcut
*high five* Yes! I like that :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Hallowed ground. P'raps a bit of the home"land" the first tree was carried in and placed into the ground... joining the two realms. The sapling would thrive in it's home soil... and maybe a grain or two of Lorien soil that could have been added by Galadriel would help and preserve... joining the 3 realms forever in Gondor and 2 realms in the Shire.

oooooo.... I like that a LOT!

sample

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 21 2009, 10:44am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2009, 1:09pm

Post #66 of 75 (213 views)
Shortcut
Luggage with eyes! [In reply to] Can't Post

That reminds me of Merry likening himself to a bag being carried around by the Rohirrim...

A log with eyes...and it's not related to Treebeard, either! Laugh I bet Gollum acquired quite a few water-skills from paddling around the lake under the Misty Mountains!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2009, 6:20pm

Post #67 of 75 (215 views)
Shortcut
This is one of my [In reply to] Can't Post

favourite exchanges between Frodo and Sam. Sam being Sam and Frodo letting him :)

"...leave out the eyes". It always reminds me of poor Gimli when Legolas spots the eyes of the Huorn. :D

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2009, 9:18pm

Post #68 of 75 (195 views)
Shortcut
Parallel moment! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the Huorns!

And now I'm being reminded of the eyes all around Bilbo and the Dwarves at deep, dark night in Mirkwood...that's going to be deliciously spooky on the big screen...!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2009, 12:02pm

Post #69 of 75 (213 views)
Shortcut
TIME - February 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

February 22, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Company tries to elude their tracker.
..."In the dead hours Frodo came out of a deep dark sleep to find Sam shaking him. 'It's a shame to wake you,' whispered Sam, 'but that's what you said. There's nothing to tell, or not much. I thought I heard some soft plashing and a sniffling noise, a while back; but you hear a lot of such queer sounds by a river a night.'
...He lay down, and Frodo sat up, huddled in his blankets, and fought off his sleep. Minutes or hours passed slowly, and nothing happened. Frodo was just yielding to the temptation to lie down again when a dark shape, hardly visible, floated close to one of the moored boats. A long whitish hand could be dimly seen as it shot out and grabbed the gunwale; two pale lamplike eyes shone coldly as they peered inside, and then they lifted and gazed up at Frodo on the eyot. They were not more than a yard or two away, and Frodo heard the soft hiss of intaken breath. He stood up, drawing Sting from its sheath, and faced the eyes. Immediately their light was shut off. There was another hiss and a splash, and the dark log-shape shot away downstream into the night. Aragorn stirred in his sleep, turned over, and sat up.
...'What is it?' he whispered, springing up and coming to Frodo. 'I felt something in my sleep. Why have you drawn your sword?'
...'Gollum,' answered Frodo. 'Or at least, so I guess.'
...'Ah!' said Aragorn. 'So you know about our little footpad, do you? He padded after us all through Moria and right down to Nimrodel. Since we took to boats, he has been lying on a log and paddling with hands and feet. I have tried to catch him once or twice at night; but he is slier than a fox, and as slippery as a fish. I hoped the river-voyage would beat him, but he is too clever a waterman.'"

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2009, 1:32pm

Post #70 of 75 (200 views)
Shortcut
"plashing" [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the sound of that word - like splashing, but gentler.

Trust a Ranger to have known what was going on all along - and to not have mentioned it to anyone (save Gandalf, most likely) so as not to add more anxiety to their quest!

I wonder if Gollum recognized Sting?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2009, 7:30pm

Post #71 of 75 (215 views)
Shortcut
ooo! Good point about Sting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pardon the pun ;)

Maybe not if it wasn't glowing blue...but still!

What makes me chuckle is Aragorn's attempt to catch Gollum AGAIN! After everything he went through to capture him before... he HAD to be shaking his head and muttering under his breath about all of this sneaking and slinking ;)

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2009, 3:11am

Post #72 of 75 (191 views)
Shortcut
That poor guy! [In reply to] Can't Post

The life of a Ranger is never easy! Evil

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2009, 9:50am

Post #73 of 75 (234 views)
Shortcut
TIME - February 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth.

February 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The boats are attacked at night near Sarn Gebir.
(from the appendices)
..."There was a swift current which swung left, towards the eastern shore where the channel was clear. As they were swept aside the travellers could see, now very close, the pale foam of the River lashing against sharp rocks that were thrust out far into the stream like a ridge of teeth. The boats were all huddled together.
...'Hoy there, Aragorn!' shouted Boromir, as his boat bumped into the leader. 'This is madness! We cannot dare the Rapids by night! But no boat can live in Sarn Gebir, be it night or day.'
...'Back, back!' cried Aragorn. 'Turn! Turn if you can!' He drove his paddle into the water, trying to hold the boat and bring it round.
...'I am out of my reckoning,' he said to Frodo. 'I did not know we had come so far: Anduin flows faster than I thought. Sarn Gebir must be close at hand already.'
...With great efforts they checked the boats and slowly brought them about; but at first they could make only small headway against the current, and all the time they were carried nearer and nearer to the eastern bank. Now dark and ominous it loomed up in the night.
...'All together, paddle!' shouted Boromir. 'Paddle! Or we shall be driven on the shoals.' Even as he spoke Frodo felt the keel beneath him grate upon stone."
...At that moment there was a twang of bowstrings: several arrows whistled over them, and some fell among them. One smote Frodo between the shoulders and he lurched forward with a cry, letting go his paddle; but the arrow fell back, foiled by his hidden coat of mail. Another passed through Aragorn's hood; and a third stood fast in the gunwale of the second boat, close by Merry's hand. Sam thought he could glimpse black figures running to a fro upon the long shingle-banks that lay under the eastern shore. They seemed very near.
...'Yrch!' said Legolas, falling into his own tongue.
...'Orcs!' cried Gimli.
...'Gollum's doing, I'll be bound,' said Sam to Frodo. 'And a nice place to choose, too. The River seems set on taking us right into their arms!'
...They all leaned forward straining at the paddles: even Sam took a hand. Every moment they expected to feel the bite of black-feathered arrows. Many whined overhead or struck the water nearby; but there were no more hits. It was dark, but not too dark for the night-eyes of Orcs, and in the star-glimmer they must have offered their cunning foes some mark, unless it was that the grey cloaks of Lórien and the grey timber of the elf-wrought boats defeated the malice of the archers of Mordor.
...Stroke by stroke they laboured on. In the darkness it was hard to be sure that they were indeed moving at all; but slowly the swirl of the water grew less, and the shadow of the eastern bank faded back into the night. At last, as far as they could judge, they had reached the middle of the stream again and had driven their boats back some distance above the jutting rocks. Then half turning they thrust them with all their strength towards the western shore. Under the shadow of bushes leaning out over the water they halted and drew breath.
...Legolas laid down his paddle and took up the bow that he had brought from Lórien. Then he sprang ashore and climbed a few paces up the bank. Stringing the bow and fitting an arrow he turned, peering back over the River into the darkness. Across the water there were shrill cries, but nothing could be seen.
...Frodo looked up at the Elf standing tall above him, as he gazed into the night, seeking a mark to shoot at. His head was dark, crowned with sharp white stars that glittered in the black pools of the sky behind. But now rising and sailing up from the South the great clouds advanced, sending out dark outriders into the starry fields. A sudden dread fell on the Company.
...'Elbereth Gilthoniel!' sighed Legolas as he looked up. Even as he did so, a dark shape, like a cloud and yet not a cloud, for it moved far more swiftly, came out of the blackness in the South, and sped towards the Company, blotting out all light as it approached. Soon it appeared as a great winged creature, blacker than the pits in the night. Fierce voices rose up to greet it from across the water. Frodo felt a sudden chill running through him and clutching at his heart; there was a deadly cold, like the memory of an old wound, in his shoulder. He crouched down, as if to hide.
...Suddenly the great bow of Lórien sang. Shrill went the arrow from the elven-string. Frodo looked up. Almost above him the winged shape swerved. There was a harsh croaking scream, as it fell out of the air, vanishing down into the gloom of the eastern shore. The sky was clean again. There was a tumult of many voices far away, cursing and wailing in the darkness, and then silence. Neither shaft nor cry came again from the east that night."

sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 23 2009, 11:29am

Post #74 of 75 (241 views)
Shortcut
Ambush! [In reply to] Can't Post

At this point we realized that the Company had been watched, as they floated southwards - and that plans had been made for the best possible place to attack them.

Sauron must not have been too happy, to have had one of his Nazgűl downed by an Elf-arrow; and that would have been one cranky Ringwraith who confronted those wailing orcs!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2009, 5:07pm

Post #75 of 75 (203 views)
Shortcut
Fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it sounds to me like the Nazgul/Fell Beast was swooping in to snag Frodo since it was right above him when Legolas shot. Of all the times for our Elf Princeling to be on firm footing and ready to fire, that had to be one of the most pivotal. I also think of what Strider said to Frodo after he cried out "Elbereth Gilthoniel", that the name of Elbereth was more deadly to the Nazgul than his weapon strike.

I just love this imagery of Legolas standing above Frodo with the starlight crowning his head, poised and ready to shoot. Magnificent!

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.