Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Happy Presidents Day! What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Feb 18 2009, 5:07pm

Post #26 of 32 (75 views)
Shortcut
I got yelled at for being too noisy in a restaurant just last week [In reply to] Can't Post

My minister & I were having lunch and I was telling her all about school, and we were both being enthusiastic; not shouting but talking loudly. Then a man sitting three tables away yelled at us and told us to lower our voices. I have the "fight" response when someone attacks me unexpectedly and made the mistake of saying something back to him about it being a Mexican restaurant at lunchtime, not the library! That set him off; he yelled at us for a bit, voice and words escalating (I was waiting for the B-word) and then suddenly shut up and sat down and hid his face when we were leaving. I found out later he's a bipolar man in the grip of a manic phase that has lasted about five months now. He has been told he can't go into several restaurants in town any more because of similar outbursts. It was very unpleasant but now that I know his story I feel sorry for the guy.

We will be watching out for him when we go out to lunch again, though.

The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day
runs through the world and dances in rhythmic measures.

- Rabindranath Tagore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2009, 6:15pm

Post #27 of 32 (63 views)
Shortcut
I don't think the noise alone would have prompted me to do anything [In reply to] Can't Post

I even ignored the crayons flying across the room. It was seeing two girls on the floor wrestling that kind of pushed it over the edge for me. But still, take a poll around here and probably 85% of the people would say I was out of line. I'm so beyond determining whether I should speak up or not. I just do. I don't seem to have a tremendous amount of control over it when push comes to shove. I don't get involved often but when it happens, it comes almost unbidden. When I think people are behaving completely unreasonably (like yelling at cashiers), I either speak up or leave the situation (to avoid speaking up). I don't know how much is working in situations where I could not ignore things (mental hospitals & inner city schools) or how much is lingering mother stuff or how much is my personality. I do always look around and watch for the most appropriate person to handle situations, though. When I'm a student in a class, I try to remain a student and not take on the role of a teacher. (Although I did snap at the woman who was chronically late to class and would come in with making all kinds of noise while she settled.) I'm not the most tactful person so I'm grateful when people with more tact can handle something.

I emailed the restaurant this morning and shared my feelings on the matter and they've offered me a gift certificate. I told them they could send it and I'd give it to my son (who frequents the place). But I doubted I could enjoy myself much there in future visits.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2009, 7:58pm

Post #28 of 32 (49 views)
Shortcut
Benjamin Button [In reply to] Can't Post

Well it was certainly a loooong movie based on a very short story! And seemingly quite loosely based at that. But it was enjoyable. Just wish I'd gone to see an earlier showing, I tend to get sleepy after 10pm!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

batik
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2009, 12:27am

Post #29 of 32 (41 views)
Shortcut
AMC (I think) is running past awards winners/nominees this week [In reply to] Can't Post

so I've seen The Godfather 2 and Mystic River--both rather cheery and uplifting--not!
G2 for the umpteenth time--one of those films that draws me in and has me watching, at least bits and pieces, for whatever odd reason. I actually enjoy the 'flashbacks' of Vito more than the *modern* events. Guess these roles could have been both a blessing and a curse for DeNiro and Pacino--they were Vito and Michael.
Mystic River--for the first time. I rented the video not too long after it was available but fell asleep close to the beginning. Shocked Anyway, it was playing late last night and I think I came in near the beginning. Very disturbing. For me, the most disturbing of all (including the murders) were Jimmy's wife comments to him near the end of the film. Scary.

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2009, 1:23am

Post #30 of 32 (43 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! I liked that trailer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely will put 9 on the list of things to see when it comes out. I really liked that trailer music, too; I'll have to look it up. Yay, I haven't been "anticipating" an Elfman movie in a while.
I do also want to see Coraline, though. Have you read the book? (how does it compare?) I love Neil Gaiman!

That was a wonderful rant, by the way. Sometimes, I wonder if it's not a good thing to just stand up and say what you're thinking. I'm not very good at that, but I've done it a couple of times this school year, which I'm pleased about-- once, it was to a teacher! I stayed behind after class, and told him that I didn't feel as if he was being very respectful of me during class. I felt very calm but angry, too, and I knew I was right. I tried to be tactful by talking to him when nobody else was in the room. Not only that, but the next day (well, the next week, since I'd talked to him on a Friday), he told me that he had thought a lot about what I'd said over the weekend, and he apologized sincerely to me!!! Isn't that awesome!?!

Anyway, you'll have no arguments from my side on your actions!

Traveling Journal Official Site
***The journal is in Ireland!***

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

It’s always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 19 2009, 3:17am

Post #31 of 32 (42 views)
Shortcut
The songs in the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

the first kind of spacey part is The Captain by The Knife.

The rocking part is Welcome Home by Coheed & Cambria

From what I can tell, they just edited out the portions with singing (of the second) to create the trailer music.

Be sure you see Coraline in 3D and Real 3D if you can (it's one 'brand' of projection that's supposed to be better than whatever the other version is). I did read the book and I enjoyed it. I like some of Neil's stuff and appreciate other of this stuff and either don't get or don't like some. But I liked Coraline and this is just a spectacular movie experience. It's been awhile since I read the book and I think they changed or added a few things but I don't think it's an issue at all.

yeah... good for you for talking to your teacher. I'm not surprised at your doing it or the outcome one bit. ;^)

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 20 2009, 5:51pm

Post #32 of 32 (41 views)
Shortcut
Does it push artistic license too far? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the opinion in this article, though after explaining how the film differs from the historical record, it rushes too quickly over the question of what is acceptable in fictional recreation of history.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 16-22 for Durin's Folk.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.