Finally...A challenging LOTR quiz.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Feb 13 2009, 11:24pm

Post #1 of 42 (461 views)
Shortcut
Finally...A challenging LOTR quiz. Can't Post

Some of you may have seen this before as I think I posted it a couple of months ago...but anyway it's back and bigger! I created what I think is a truly challenging LOTR quiz for all of my fellow Ringers to try out. It has over 40 multiple choice questions from both the books and the movies. Try it out and post your scores, comments, or corrections for my questions as there are sure to be a few mistakes. Try not to spoil questions for others in doing so, allright? Here is the link:

http://www.quiztron.com/...rings_quiz_96324.htm

Galu to all!

Looking around Elrond's library...chucking stones in the waterfalls...singing tra-la-la with the elves....yup, life's good in Rivendell.

squire
Half-elven

Feb 14 2009, 2:03am

Post #2 of 42 (257 views)
Shortcut
76% ?? O dear [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it was mostly the weird movie stuff that baffled me, but... three arrows into Grima? I really did not see that coming!

And it's Theodred, not Theodrid.

And it's Elrohir, not Ellrohir.

*mutters* these movies have gotten out of hand... must be stopped... *mutter, mutter*

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 14 2009, 6:13am

Post #3 of 42 (203 views)
Shortcut
Internet? [In reply to] Can't Post

Those internet questions have to go....

What in the world do they have to do with knowing Tolkien?

(somehow, I got them both correct, lol).....

83%

...Every question I got wrong was a movie question, except that Elvish language phrase one. No clue on where in the book & movie that came from, but Elvish is not my thing .

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 14 2009, 6:36am

Post #4 of 42 (203 views)
Shortcut
76 [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe I tied squire!

There were a few problems with the quiz:

Sharku is not the name of an orc; it's the name of Saruman

Theoden's son is Theodred, not Theodrid

The suggestion to read the books some more is kind of silly, since all the questions I missed were on the movie :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 14 2009, 8:28am

Post #5 of 42 (197 views)
Shortcut
92% [In reply to] Can't Post

The three I missed were all movie questions. Well, two movie questions and an internet one....pointy hat trick? Is that really a common knowledge question?

Thanks for putting that together - we all nitpick about details around here, but we still can't resist a quiz. Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2009, 8:44am

Post #6 of 42 (197 views)
Shortcut
83%; all misses were movie questions [In reply to] Can't Post

As Aunt Dora points out, sharku means old man and is a nickname for Saruman. If you throw that item out, just add 2% to everyone's score.
I didn't know the names of actors playing minor characters, etc.

If you have time, it would be helpful to annotate some of your answers, such as the Elvish fill-in-the-blank.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

somuchmore
Rivendell

Feb 14 2009, 12:58pm

Post #7 of 42 (177 views)
Shortcut
76%, better than expected [In reply to] Can't Post

and my misses were here, there and everywhere..
and some were lucky guesses Wink because my eyes and mind were focussed on other details in the movies.

I read the comments after the quiz: one wrote something about 'true' Tolkien fans, who read the books before the movies Shocked (if I got it right).. well, I guess that makes me an 'false', or 'untrue'?, fan TongueCool.
I was a rather obstinate non-reader-of-Tolkien before the movies. After the movies, however...

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2009, 3:28pm

Post #8 of 42 (197 views)
Shortcut
97%! Neener, neener, neener! [In reply to] Can't Post

Got everything but the thing Arwen was wearing. I did benefit from a few lucky guesses.

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Feb 14 2009, 3:33pm

Post #9 of 42 (175 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for catching those errors! [In reply to] Can't Post

All fixed now Wink.

Looking around Elrond's library...chucking stones in the waterfalls...singing tra-la-la with the elves....yup, life's good in Rivendell.

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Feb 14 2009, 3:35pm

Post #10 of 42 (177 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I took the assumption that most other people who took the quiz were movie converts so thats why I put that particular suggestion...

And in the movie, Sharku was the name of the leader of the orc riders.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2009, 5:22pm

Post #11 of 42 (168 views)
Shortcut
90% [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed on Arwen's headdress design, the costume with the most velvet (if not Boromir, then who?) and a couple of quotes.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 14 2009, 5:28pm

Post #12 of 42 (185 views)
Shortcut
movie or book... how to chose [In reply to] Can't Post

It has over 40 multiple choice questions from both the books and the movies.

Sharku is not the name of an orc; it's the name of Saruman

in the movie, Sharku was the name of the leader of the orc riders.

well, in situations like this, how is one supposed to know which you're looking for? I would guess the answers to many questions could be different depending on movie or book.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 14 2009, 5:52pm

Post #13 of 42 (190 views)
Shortcut
Paging Arwen's Daughter! Or Trivia Mistress Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

We need our costume expert here!

I thought Boromir's outfit had the most velvet -- it was either a question in the Movie Trivial Pursuit game, or something from one of Arwen's Daughters costume series...

I also thought Arwen had smashed butterfly on her head...sheesh!

I'm not even going to post my shameful, lowly score!

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 14 2009, 6:09pm

Post #14 of 42 (169 views)
Shortcut
80% - Maiar [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed half book questions and half movie questions.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for February

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 14 2009, 6:10pm

Post #15 of 42 (163 views)
Shortcut
the velvet thing wasn't a trivia question while I was hosting. // [In reply to] Can't Post

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 14 2009, 6:18pm

Post #16 of 42 (160 views)
Shortcut
Ha. It was probably when I was hosting it! ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and we all know how well I did with that!

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 14 2009, 6:20pm

Post #17 of 42 (186 views)
Shortcut
You rang? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope, Boromir's costume doesn't use the most velvet. His early cloak is the only part of his costume that uses velvet. I'm honestly not sure how much it uses but Arwen or Elrond probably win that title, but I'm not sure which. If we count cloak and dress as one outfit, I'd guess Arwen's gown and cloak when she leaves Rivendell. This One.

And Arwen definitely has a butterfly design in her crown at the coronation.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 14 2009, 6:29pm

Post #18 of 42 (244 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that was fast! Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It appears I have VMDD -- "velvet-memory-dysfunctional-disorder"!

Glad to know I was write on the butterfly, though.Smile

Weaver

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Feb 14 2009, 8:28pm

Post #19 of 42 (165 views)
Shortcut
Teehee [In reply to] Can't Post

Twas he whose name begins with F and whose feet are furry! His entire vest was made of velvet, as I believe, his pants. I specifically remember that question from LOTR Trival Pursuit!

(This post was edited by Finduilas101 on Feb 14 2009, 8:30pm)

Deni
Rivendell

Feb 14 2009, 8:36pm

Post #20 of 42 (157 views)
Shortcut
same.. 85% [In reply to] Can't Post

How well do you know Lord of the Rings?
Your Score: 85%
Maiar

Good job! You know quite a bit about Lord of the Rings and other related topics. Myabe you need to study a bit more though, eh?

...missed some book questions.
Crazy

(This post was edited by Deni on Feb 14 2009, 8:37pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 14 2009, 9:40pm

Post #21 of 42 (157 views)
Shortcut
That's probably only true among the Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the nine walkers, Frodo has the most velvet: pants, vest, and the lapels of his jacket. That's what... 5 or 6 yards of velvet total? But Eowyn, Arwen, Grima, Denethor, and Elrond all wear more velvet than that on a regular basis. The question in this quiz doesn't specify Fellowship vs. entire cast.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Feb 14 2009, 9:44pm

Post #22 of 42 (147 views)
Shortcut
Ahh...right. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh well. Maybe I'll change it so that Frodo has the most out of all those listed.

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 14 2009, 9:48pm

Post #23 of 42 (148 views)
Shortcut
so it was a Trivial Pursuit question! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now, how can it be that I remembered the question, but not the answer???Crazy

Weaver

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 14 2009, 10:54pm

Post #24 of 42 (129 views)
Shortcut
85% for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

The stuff I missed was movie minutiae. Yeah, like the velvet one.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2009, 11:05pm

Post #25 of 42 (140 views)
Shortcut
80% [In reply to] Can't Post

That was annoying. Sharku is Saruman! (apparently, changing names for movies counts). And when did I ever pay attention to who used the most velvet in their costume?! And I need to look at Arwen's headdress design again; I'm wondering what, exactly, a butterfly smashed into the back of someone's head is supposed to look like. *sigh*

Traveling Journal Official Site
***The journal has been sent to Ireland!***

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

It’s always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.