The House of Eorl Part IV

Saelind
Lorien

Feb 14 2009, 3:31am

Post #1 of 9 (1201 views)
Shortcut
The House of Eorl Part IV Can't Post

What’s in a name?

A short post on the names of the Eotheod and their ancestors. Linguists and language groupies are welcome.

First, we turn to the few names that have come to us from the kingdom of Rhovanion. Vidugavia (Widugauja), Vidumavi (Widumawi), Marhwini, Marhari and Forthwini which have Gothic roots. No accident that Tolkien who fell in love with a Gothic language primer as a youth would incorporate that language into his legendarium.

Any other examples of Gothic or Gothic rooted words/names/places?

Frumgar is remembered as the chief who led the people to their old land of the north. His son Fram slew Scatha and won his hoard.

What linguistic group do these names fall into, Gothic or Anglo-Saxon?

When we get to Leod, Eorl’s father, the names resemble Anglo-Saxon. Tolkien also indulges his love of the “f” sound here. Frealaf, Frea, Freawine, Folca, Folcwine, and Fengel. And we thought the elves were bad!

Are these names found in AS literature or has Tolkien altered them so that they resemble AS names?
Other comments? For myself, my love of the Rohirrim kindled an interest in learning Old English, though to be honest, I have not made much progress. Tongue

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 14 2009, 11:27pm

Post #2 of 9 (932 views)
Shortcut
I'm no expert [In reply to] Can't Post

but Leod is Gaelic to me : Leòd (or Old Gaelic : Léot ), and the Clan MacLeod : MacLeòid.
Leod may be related to Old Norse Ljótr.

Scatha is also Gaelic to me, and interestingly, has a geographical connection to Leod and the Clan MacLeod.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 14 2009, 11:41pm

Post #3 of 9 (913 views)
Shortcut
I'll let all the Wikipedia folks fight it out [In reply to] Can't Post

about whether or not The Isle of Skye is named after Scáthach. =)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Feb 14 2009, 11:50pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 15 2009, 3:52am

Post #4 of 9 (892 views)
Shortcut
"Marhwini", "Marhari" and "Forthwini" are early Old English not Gothic. [In reply to] Can't Post

So David Salo has observed, and Arden Smith concurs. Parts of Smith's paper on Tolkien's use of Gothic was summarized here in an earlier discussion of the appendix on Gondor.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 9-15 for The House of Eorl.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

sador
Half-elven

Feb 15 2009, 7:13am

Post #5 of 9 (903 views)
Shortcut
So I'll repeat my question: what does 'Vinyaron' mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the original name of Vinitharya's (Eldacar's) grandson, who took the throne as Hyarmendacil II.
Is that name also Gothic, or in Tolkien, in the language of Rhovanion? Or is it Sindarin, as would be expected? Any play on words? Consequently, does 'Vinitharya' have a double meaning?

"All that he (Pippin) could remember about Rohan was that Gandalf's horse, Shadowfax, had come from that land."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 15 2009, 5:31pm

Post #6 of 9 (908 views)
Shortcut
Not sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

The "Thain's Book" site says:

The name Vinyarion appears to be composed of the Quenya word vinya meaning "new" and the masculine ending -ion.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

sador
Half-elven

Feb 15 2009, 5:50pm

Post #7 of 9 (978 views)
Shortcut
Could this have been an internal joke? [In reply to] Can't Post

Like, for instance, the Dunlendings who tried to get Calenardhon once the Dunedain inhabitants were diminished - and both coming from the West!

"All that he (Pippin) could remember about Rohan was that Gandalf's horse, Shadowfax, had come from that land."

Saelind
Lorien

Feb 16 2009, 4:38am

Post #8 of 9 (879 views)
Shortcut
Oops! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Hangs head in shame." That's what I get for not doing my research more carefully!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 16 2009, 5:06am

Post #9 of 9 (935 views)
Shortcut
No worries! It's pretty obscure. [In reply to] Can't Post

And you're in good company: Christopher Tolkien makes the same mistake in Unfinished Tales. I certainly wouldn't know anything of it, if I hadn't heard Smith present in Marquette.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.