Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Scrap Howard Shore, I know the perfect composer!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Agrippa

Feb 13 2009, 3:25pm

Post #1 of 27 (2046 views)
Shortcut
Scrap Howard Shore, I know the perfect composer! Can't Post

Scrap Howard Shore for the Hobbit, and hire Joe Hisaishi. Sure, Shore is a good composer, but Hisaishi is the best!

Knowing that Del Toro want to make a more "mature" version of The Hobbit than the one we know and love, hiring Hisaishi would perhaps bring a subtle "childish" touch to the films. Not that he is not capable of anything else, but I do feel it would be marvelous with a theme that keeps hinting to an age of more innocense, that the second (?) age actually was.

Also, I know no other artist than Hisaishi that would suit better to compose the Tomb Bombadill theme, that would surely be amazing!

Well, shall we go for the barricades?!

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2009, 4:21pm

Post #2 of 27 (630 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure about the barricades... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I wonder what Tom Bombadil has to do with the Hobbit Shocked And with all my respect, I'm very happy Shore will be in as I think he is an extremely talented person who composed a brilliant music for LOTR to the point where the music played a role itself, it became a character. Also, welcome to TORN Smile

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on February 12 on the Main board for a visit at Rivendell and "The Last Homely House"!

I believe

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 13 2009, 8:46pm

Post #3 of 27 (606 views)
Shortcut
Here upon these stones [In reply to] Can't Post

We will build our barricade
In the heart of the forums
We claim as our own!

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a film you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes...
Tomorrow comes!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Buchanicus
Lorien

Feb 13 2009, 9:34pm

Post #4 of 27 (569 views)
Shortcut
No way. [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore is the perfect, and in my mind, the only choice.

His score is one of the things I'm most excited about.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 13 2009, 10:04pm

Post #5 of 27 (536 views)
Shortcut
You don't like Schönberg? / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 13 2009, 10:25pm

Post #6 of 27 (591 views)
Shortcut
Strange [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have thought you'd pick Leonard Rosenman as the Ideal.

willowgreylock
Lorien

Feb 13 2009, 10:36pm

Post #7 of 27 (602 views)
Shortcut
GASP! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bite Your Tongue! I LOVE Howard Shore, there is NONE better than he for this project in my book.
I don't begrudge you your opinion of coarse, but I just don't happen to agree with you on this one.

Smile

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Feb 13 2009, 11:28pm

Post #8 of 27 (555 views)
Shortcut
*GASP!!!!!* [In reply to] Can't Post

Scrap Howard Shore????? NOOOOOO!!!!! *pretends to stab self with pencil and flails around wildly* Knife in the heart right there...Anyway, enough theatrics. I can't possibly think of anyone else besides Howard Shore that could do The Hobbit and keep the same sort of flow from LOTR. There are lots of great composers out there, but Shore totally GETS Middle-Earth in a way that I am doubtfull anyone else could.

Looking around Elrond's library...chucking stones in the waterfalls...singing tra-la-la with the elves....yup, life's good in Rivendell.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2009, 1:14am

Post #9 of 27 (563 views)
Shortcut
Respecting your opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I am curious why you think is music is fitting for The Hobbit. Much of his work is based around Japanese culture. This isn't to say that he cannot write with a different theme, sound, culture in mind but his body of work (while imaginative) doesn't reflect anything in keeping with the Trilogy.

I am all for thinking outside the box thoughSmile

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Cegwyn
Bree

Feb 14 2009, 10:03pm

Post #10 of 27 (511 views)
Shortcut
Heretic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore is one of the best composers I've ever heard! If they didn't use him for The Hobbit, the movie would be half ruined for me already!Mad

You are most like Aragorn. You have strong convictions and you stick to them. Although you are more of a recluse, you are extremely loyal to the few friends that you have. You are very serious about things, but you like having fun. Fame and fortune mean little to you, and you aren't concerned with being popular. Good for you!

squire
Valinor

Feb 15 2009, 12:04am

Post #11 of 27 (519 views)
Shortcut
One Year More! [In reply to] Can't Post

One more year of pre-production
But the music takes two more
We’ll make money from these fanboys
They will wet themselves for Shore!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 15 2009, 4:06am

Post #12 of 27 (463 views)
Shortcut
Shore is the only choice for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am listening to the CR of RotK as we speak. Shore brought ME to life with his score. There is no other for me. I don't know if I would even go see The Hobbit without his music because it is so much a part of the experience and of ME for me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Menelwyn
Rohan

Feb 15 2009, 11:43pm

Post #13 of 27 (450 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Never actually thought to be replying to a squire post with that subject line! But then, I never expected to see Les Mis parodies around here either. A long time ago I was on a Les Mis listserve and we wrote Les Mis parodies all the time, but I never expected I was going to encounter one in the middle of a discussion about The Hobbit movies!

*goes off to get my head around this*

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 16 2009, 12:27am

Post #14 of 27 (496 views)
Shortcut
He's just following [In reply to] Can't Post

a TORN tradition with a long and glorious history. Song parodies used to be one of our favorite pastimes in the Elder Days, though they've become much rarer of late. If you like Les Mis parodies, here are two more for your enjoyment, written by Eledhwen several years ago.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

vtboyarc
Lorien

Feb 17 2009, 12:37am

Post #15 of 27 (385 views)
Shortcut
no. [In reply to] Can't Post

are you daft? Keep Howard Shore! He's been to middle-earth - let him go back again, and take us there with him through his music.

Theres some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and its worth fighting for.

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Feb 17 2009, 5:41pm

Post #16 of 27 (431 views)
Shortcut
No it's got to be Shore [In reply to] Can't Post

Shore's music was perfect for Middle-earth so naturally he will be the choice for The Hobbit. I expect he's a very good composer as you recommended him but it would be like saying that another very good actor could be Gandalf. It just wouldn't be right because he knows the character like Shore knows Middle-Earth.

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

Formerly known as Rosie!

Agrippa

Feb 18 2009, 12:06am

Post #17 of 27 (348 views)
Shortcut
Imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

Imagine this piece when the eagles saves the company and they enter the realms of Beorn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtPm5GiJ_iM

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2009, 6:31am

Post #18 of 27 (466 views)
Shortcut
That might've been appropriate if Beorn lived in China... [In reply to] Can't Post

... while that music is beautiful, it does not conjure that magical feeling that Shore's score so effortlessly does. This takes me to China - were I to close my eyes and listen to this with no knowledge of who composed that piece and for what purpose, I would still think "China".

Shore managed to incorporate eastern cultures in his work (Lothlorien for example) but it was done so very subtly and tweaked so aptly you didn't think "Earth" but "Middle-earth". There's something Middle-earthy about his work - it doesn't remind you of any specific culture or country on this earth, and yet it does not feel otherworldly either. He managed to tread a fine line between reality and fantasy that is grounded in realism. And how!!

This is why I think Shore is the perfect choice. Have you listened to the complete recordings of the scores? If nothing else, he's earned his place on these new films, just like many others who did marvellous jobs on LOTR, and he deserves to revisit it. He's still brimming with enthusiam and creativity, he wants to go there back again, the filmmakers want to have him with them, and a majority of the fans have no bones to pick with the scores, at all.

So I really don't see the need to replace Shore just because other composers write beautiful music as well Smile

Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with the dogs? You are but a lesser son of greater sires!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19 2009, 8:02pm

Post #19 of 27 (294 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... but my Haven is on Shore ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Glaurung63
Lorien

Feb 20 2009, 5:56am

Post #20 of 27 (289 views)
Shortcut
For Shore! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just the fact that I've seen the LOTR symphony live, Howard's condensed multi-hour version of the score, with singers and choral groups, and screen projections of artwork....and have my tickets to the Radio City full blown extravaganza in October...makes me a bit....biased....in my belief that Mr. Shore is the right man for the job of orchestrating the music for The Hobbit!!!

I know, we tend to think, "could there be any other?", and freaked when Peter Jackson wasn't directing, and I for one love the choice of Del Toro, and yet for music....which supplies connection and continuity...I think Howard Shore should be the one to compose....he will bring themes and instrumentation from LOTR that will bind the stories together....and yet infuse freshness from Del Toro's direction of the movie scenes....

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 21 2009, 3:53am

Post #21 of 27 (265 views)
Shortcut
That music is lovely but... [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't conjure up anything 'Middle Earth' just the Orient. I love Shore's music and am really looking forward to hearing his Hobbit themes.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 21 2009, 4:56am

Post #22 of 27 (330 views)
Shortcut
I went ahead and listened to over [In reply to] Can't Post

10 pieces of music by Joe Hisaishi to give him fair chance. Matter of fact i truly do enjoy this kind of music and his music is quite wonderful.

But no matter how great it is, the most it can do is 'speak about' Middle-earth. Howard Shore's Music IS Middle-earth, deep down and through. And that is the root, branch and tree of it.

Of all the possible debated discussion topics, Howard shore's music i feel is the least questioned. This mans' depth of spirit and range of feeling is peerless.

''What connects Nature to the spiritual, or requires the presence of the latter? In positive terms, as Alkis Kontos points out, when nature was still largely experienced as integral, alive and active, 'It was the spiritual dimension of the world, its enchanted, magical quality that rendered it infinite, not amenable to complete calculability; spirit could not be quanified; it permitted and invited mythologization.' And I would add, it still is and does.''
Patrick Curry-Defending Middle-Earth-Tolkien: Myth and Modernity - chapter: 'The Sea: Spirituality and Ethics.'

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

bowencm
Rivendell

Feb 23 2009, 3:21pm

Post #23 of 27 (270 views)
Shortcut
Right on...ride the wave to Shore... [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, I was listening to disc 1 of FOTR Complete Recordings this morning on my way to work and I thought of this thread. I wasn't going to bother posting to it, but I've got to say that Howard Shore (already being intimately familiar with the epic since HE COMPOSED IT ALREADY) shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with verbage such as, "possible replacement for..." Add the fact that he's already begun writing the fmusical ramework for The Hobbit should pretty much tell us that he's in for the long haul. THANK GOD. The picture he paints for the films is unmatched.

Carrot cake, carrot cake, have ye any nuts?
Carrot cake says...NO NUTS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2009, 5:10pm

Post #24 of 27 (237 views)
Shortcut
Well Said! [In reply to] Can't Post

The picture he paints for the films is unmatched.

Totally AMEN to that! *high fiveI*

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

bowencm
Rivendell

Feb 23 2009, 5:20pm

Post #25 of 27 (282 views)
Shortcut
Anytime! [In reply to] Can't Post

*Slap back!* ;-)

Carrot cake, carrot cake, have ye any nuts?
Carrot cake says...NO NUTS!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.