The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
interesting phenomenon: when you link to a "searched" post

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 4 2009, 11:08am

Post #1 of 11 (719 views)
Shortcut
interesting phenomenon: when you link to a "searched" post Can't Post

Just for interest, in case it happens to anyone else (it may have, and I am just unobservant!!): I was looking for a previous post of my own and used the search function (and let me interject how grateful I am that we HAVE a search function that actually works!! go Torn PTB!!) and found it.

Then I copied the URL for that post to my reply in the RR, as in "please see this old post of mine". If you click on that link, you go to the correct old post, but it is now highlighted with my search terms.

Cool

I don't think anyone minds, but it's just an interesting thing! You could, I suppose, deduce my thinking process for search boxes from the highlighted terms, which is sort of odd. Blush

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you'll rest in the arms of the Savior, if sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2009, 11:36am

Post #2 of 11 (546 views)
Shortcut
Take a look at the URL [In reply to] Can't Post

I've found that the URL for a searched post is different from its URL if it's "unsearched"!

I've solved this problem by clicking on another post in that post's thread, then clicking on the post I need. Its "normal" URL is now shown.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 4 2009, 11:41am

Post #3 of 11 (547 views)
Shortcut
see, you are so observant!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the hint for the future!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

sador
Half-elven

Feb 4 2009, 11:52am

Post #4 of 11 (549 views)
Shortcut
In threaded mode; I think this doesn't work in flat // [In reply to] Can't Post

"We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory" - Aragorn

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 4 2009, 1:08pm

Post #5 of 11 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Looking closer at the URL... [In reply to] Can't Post

The URL in the link is:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=57530;search_string=house tom bombadil;#57530
(you may see '%20' where the spaces are between the search words....)

And it is the 'search_string=house tom bombadil' part that makes the search terms 'house' 'tom' and 'bombadil' highlighted. If you just delete that portion, so that the URL is:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=57530;;#57530 Try this one

You get the page without the search words highlighted.

Just FYI, and a possible solution if you want another way to "hide" your search terms.

Notta

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 4 2009, 2:41pm

Post #6 of 11 (547 views)
Shortcut
When linking to a post [In reply to] Can't Post

It's best to always find the little link under the poster's name labeled 'shortcut'. You can either click on that link, which seems to only refresh the page but - in fact - gives you a 'cleaner' url at the top of the page that you can copy, or you can right click it and choose 'copy link location'. The urls that show up in the field at the top of the window always have code worked into them either from a search function or from our being signed in (probably reflecting settings, etc.).

Look at the url of this post, then click the 'shortcut' link and see what I mean.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 4 2009, 3:19pm

Post #7 of 11 (523 views)
Shortcut
Yes, "copy shortcut" is the way to go. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 2-8 for The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 4 2009, 4:53pm

Post #8 of 11 (544 views)
Shortcut
let's see if that takes you to the highlighted post, though [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll link it here, using the "copy shortcut" function, and see if the post is still the highlighted post.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 4 2009, 4:54pm

Post #9 of 11 (552 views)
Shortcut
OK, it doesn't!!!! thanks, I'll do that from now on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although dernwyn's hint worked, too!

{{{hugs magpie and dernwyn}}}

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2009, 8:16pm

Post #10 of 11 (537 views)
Shortcut
Heh, this old dog [In reply to] Can't Post

learned a new trick! Laugh

Thanks, Magpie & NEB!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 4 2009, 8:19pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 4 2009, 10:01pm

Post #11 of 11 (614 views)
Shortcut
I think I picked up the tip from some admin [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Cere? can't remember

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.