Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Rado City NYC Moot 2009 - Ringers Take Manhattan! --> Official Hotel Link inside the thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2009, 1:05pm

Post #26 of 565 (3954 views)
Shortcut
It can't be any worse than Atlanta [In reply to] Can't Post

When you smell something bad, it's usually the guy in the corner of the train car peeing. Crazy

"...and back again."

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2009, 4:20am

Post #27 of 565 (3897 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if I'm being redundant... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm in (I'm not sure if posting replies in the Pollantir counts as raising my hand here, but I just thought I'd throw in a reply here, too, for fun). Got my ticket, and saving up for flight/hotel stuff. This feels so strange; this definitely goes into the category of "events I hadn't even contemplated planning on in my life", but I'm very excited! Good sticky, deej! Smile

Traveling Journal Official Site

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

Itís always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Feb 4 2009, 5:30am

Post #28 of 565 (3880 views)
Shortcut
A travel suggestion ---> [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I mentioned it elsewhere but I wanted to restate that for any TORnsibs in school who plan on attending www.statravel.com has great deals. I believe all you need is to be able to present a valid student ID from whatever school you're currently attending when you purchase the ticket. Several of my friends have found truly fantastic deals on airfare. I will definitely be getting mine through them.

Captain Jack: Who has a sonic screwdriver?
The Doctor: I do!
Captain Jack: Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, "Woo, this could be a little more sonic."?
The Doctor: What, you've never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2009, 7:50am

Post #29 of 565 (3875 views)
Shortcut
It's absolutely fine! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've ridden the subways in NYC, Boston, DC, San Francisco, Atlanta, Los Angeles (yes, they have subways!), London, Paris, and Moscow, and I never actually have felt ill at ease in any of them. (Moscow was probably the worst, because of the large quantities of drunks.)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 4 2009, 7:16pm

Post #30 of 565 (3826 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another great addition to the group. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2009, 8:37pm

Post #31 of 565 (3878 views)
Shortcut
Very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to meeting you!

"...and back again."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 6 2009, 7:52am

Post #32 of 565 (4032 views)
Shortcut
Coming late to this thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

I also have tickets for Sat. night, as do a number of other TORnsibs who have been fairly inactive here recently. I do want to keep posted as to TORn gatherings!

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Laitholiel_the_SeaElf
Lorien

Feb 7 2009, 8:27am

Post #33 of 565 (3790 views)
Shortcut
Subways in L.A.? Do you mean Metrolink? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Jack: Who has a sonic screwdriver?
The Doctor: I do!
Captain Jack: Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, "Woo, this could be a little more sonic."?
The Doctor: What, you've never been bored? Never had a long night? Never had a lot of cabinets to put up?

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 7 2009, 4:35pm

Post #34 of 565 (4004 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous news! [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be awesome to see you again. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2009, 8:03pm

Post #35 of 565 (3852 views)
Shortcut
It was just called "Metro" [In reply to] Can't Post

and there was a station right across the street from my hotel on Wilshire. It was a clean, well-lighted, little-used underground subway, and we used it to get from our hotel to downtown and back. Lots of stops, very convenient. I also took Metro busses while I was there. For instance, I took the bus out to visit the Getty (only had to change busses once). It took a while, but might not have been much slower than driving, since LA has a system by which the traffic lights give preference to busses, so we didn't hit very many red lights.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 7 2009, 9:55pm

Post #36 of 565 (3853 views)
Shortcut
Ah the Moscow Subway... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember it well from a trip I took when I was a teenager. I actually found much of the underground art (the mosaics and such) to be quite beautiful (something I've not encountered in the other subway systems I've been on {DC, Atlanta, Boston, San Fran.}). The amount of people crammed into a train and the large amount of drunks not as beautiful.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2009, 11:07pm

Post #37 of 565 (3822 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

it was much more ornate than our subways. Apparently, the drunks are a constant problem. We saw people lying on the floor of the subway cars. Also, we heard that drunks falling down escalators was a big problem! Subway employees were assigned to watch for them from the bottoms of the escalator. We did get to ride the highest escalator in the world -- I forget which station.

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Feb 7 2009, 11:26pm

Post #38 of 565 (3878 views)
Shortcut
Excited about a moot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mae govannen. I'm new to the message boards but not to ToRN events. I've attended two of the Oscar parties thrown when the movies came out and would love to have the chance to hang with other ToRN people. I've tickets to Saturday night's performance. Hopefully ToRN can schedule some sort of get together that day.

"...for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aiglos and Narsil, none could withstand."
Elrond (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Council of Elrond)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2009, 11:48pm

Post #39 of 565 (3803 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be great to see you!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2009, 11:49pm

Post #40 of 565 (3743 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure we will have multiple opportunities to meet up. Look forward to meeting you!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Farawyn
Rohan

Feb 9 2009, 4:13pm

Post #41 of 565 (3812 views)
Shortcut
I'm going. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm also meeting about 20 old skool mostly past/sometimes present (or at least lurking) TORnsibs.

Saturday.

I have the urge to wear a name tag.

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2009, 5:13pm

Post #42 of 565 (3739 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure nametags can be made. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a nice collection from all of the past Moots i've attended. Smile

"...and back again."

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 9 2009, 6:09pm

Post #43 of 565 (3798 views)
Shortcut
I will offer to do or help with any graphic design work that is needed [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind doing hand assembly work, either, if we want a cheaper route than something done professionally.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2009, 10:41pm

Post #44 of 565 (3837 views)
Shortcut
My favorite Moot nametags [In reply to] Can't Post

were all done by hand. The ones that nerdanel made for the Marquette Moot were a huge hit, and many people asked me how to get one. I'd much rather have a nametag made by a fellow TORNado than one that was purchased.

thanks for the offer, Magpie!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 9 2009, 11:17pm

Post #45 of 565 (3815 views)
Shortcut
I've found that the handiest nametags [In reply to] Can't Post

are the ones that carry both the online nick and the first name of the mooter. They become rather sizeable then, but it's much appreciated when you're trying to remember two names per person!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 10 2009, 12:23am

Post #46 of 565 (3819 views)
Shortcut
I just ran across a photo of those [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys were so welcoming to this almost TORnsib. I was more a front page lurker than forum participant at the time. And I had just started school and was totally overwhelmed with keeping track of details. And I had friends from another online group I was connecting with. So I got a name tag, but I didn't really hang out with you all. I promise I will this time!

One thing to keep in mind for name tags is the event. Some of will be in dress up clothes and the name tag should be fabric/clothing friendly and allow for other pins or name tags (if, for example, Doug does something similar or if, for example, a TORnsib were to bring little pins that mark the event to share with friends). It might be nice to have a lanyard option.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Feb 10 2009, 2:16pm

Post #47 of 565 (3872 views)
Shortcut
20 (past or lurking) TORnsibs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are there that many who will be in town, really? How exciting! But why are they past or lurking? If they posted on, say, this very thread, they could influence what festivities we're planning, and we could all meet up together!

With a crowd like that, "Ringers Take Manhattan" would be quite an appropriate moot title! Cool And "Past or Lurking TORnsibs Take Manhattan" doesn't have the same ring to it . . . Maybe they can call their moot "TORnsibs lurk in Manhattan." Tongue

"What he had been doing he would not say. He only wept and called us cruel, with many a gollum in his throat; and when we pressed him he whined and cringed, and rubbed his long hands, licking his fingers as if they pained him, as if he remembered some old torture."

LaerasŽa
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2009, 11:28pm

Post #48 of 565 (3790 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha, no, "Past and former TORnsibs take Manhattan" doesn't have the same *ring* to it as "Ringers take Manhattan" at all....(ok, sorry, that pun was just stuck in my head! Was it intended?)
Laugh

Traveling Journal Official Site
***The journal has been sent to Ireland!***

Kurmudginz of the wrld unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Starling

Innocence is precious. Trees are precious. Families are precious. Clean water is precious. Light is precious. Rulers and Rules and Rings of Power are not precious.
-Curious

Itís always amazing how utterly stupid Evil can be.
-Darkstone

Honest, Altaira! I was just telling Auntie D how to make a possessive out of the name 'a.s.'! Really, truly!
-a.s.

I got to teach contrasts of LOTR elves vs. Santa Claus and Harry Potter elves in class this week. People were forgetting that Dobby was an elf. Probably a good thing.
-Menelwyn

Beware of geeks, for they are testy and articulate!
-gramma

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2009, 5:58am

Post #49 of 565 (3705 views)
Shortcut
Anyone we know? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can think of a lot of mostly past TORnsibs I'd love to meet up with.

Hobbit Family Histories

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 11 2009, 8:30am

Post #50 of 565 (3776 views)
Shortcut
Probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some still drop in from time to time. I do hope we can all get together, it would be great fun!

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.