Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What was your favorite Super Bowl commercial?

Anorien
Rohan

Feb 3 2009, 1:35am

Post #1 of 14 (213 views)
Shortcut
What was your favorite Super Bowl commercial? Can't Post

For those who watched it, either for the football or the commercials, what was your favorite commercial?

Mine was the one with the moose head in the fancy office and the moose butt in the dreary, gray office.
The 1/2 second Ivars commercial was funny, with the seagull saying "Ivars!"

Were there any not-so-favorites?

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2009, 3:29am

Post #2 of 14 (170 views)
Shortcut
I did like [In reply to] Can't Post

the baby commericals, especially the golfing one. I also like the Danica Patrick commerical.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2009, 5:04pm

Post #3 of 14 (181 views)
Shortcut
Yecch! [In reply to] Can't Post

Invective, violence, sexism and mean-spiritedness substituted for cleverness. The commercial where the box of flowers screamed abuse at the woman was the worst. It made me never, ever want to order flowers from that particular company again. The Potatoheads spot ran a close second (remind me to switch to Continental tires next time around). And what's with Danica Patrick's lame commercials? She's going to turn into Anna Kournikova if she doesn't watch out. Also, if I was a guy, I'd be insulted at how stupid these advertisers thought I was.

On the plus side, Alec Baldwin's hulu.com commercial was hilarious. And GE's stood out from the rest by actually being pleasant to watch.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Feb 3 2009, 5:07pm)

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2009, 6:00pm

Post #4 of 14 (169 views)
Shortcut
GoDaddy.com is in danger of giving crassness a bad name. [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus: the very idea of a company that sells domain names having Super Bowl ads. Did I fall asleep watching the 2000 game and dream everything that happened since?

"What of Theoden's riders? Will Rohan's army come? Mithrandir!"

"Courage is the best defense that you have now."

"We'll take that as a 'no'."

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 3 2009, 6:18pm

Post #5 of 14 (154 views)
Shortcut
The Clydesdale fetching a log [In reply to] Can't Post

That one was the best.

I also liked the one where the guy crunching Doritos blew off the lady's clothes, and then he got hit by a bus. (Yeah, I'm a guy.)

I thought the abusive flower box commercial was tacky.

The 3-D commericals were a big disappointment. Wearing the 3-D glasses seemed to produce no effect. But then, I never could see any images in the Magic Eye books either, so maybe it's just me.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 3 2009, 6:19pm

Post #6 of 14 (152 views)
Shortcut
"Shankopotamus!" vs. Skankopotamus? Babies 7, Bimbos 0. =) // [In reply to] Can't Post

*sings*"They could call us...the SIXBURGH Steelers..."

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Feb 3 2009, 6:21pm)

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2009, 6:24pm

Post #7 of 14 (147 views)
Shortcut
Those babies [In reply to] Can't Post

just kill me...the one with the clown from a few years ago.....just awesome. I was hoping for a new Jack Links meat commerical....the ones with the Bigfoot are just amazing. I also really liked those holiday inn spots from a few years back, the three guys who are always in the hotels.....they meet Cal Ripken Jr. in one add....priceless...

But the babies rock.....and I have a thing for Danica.....it's the Superbowl....gotta have some skin and some stupidness.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2009, 1:44am

Post #8 of 14 (138 views)
Shortcut
The first Doritos commercial [In reply to] Can't Post

"I have a magic crystal ball."

"Looks like a snowglobe."

"Is not...

If you didn't see it, really recommend it. Was absolutely hilarious.

Also liked the Budlight "thrown out of the window" one.

GoDaddy was tacky, and the flower one was absolutely awful.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Anorien
Rohan

Feb 4 2009, 5:31am

Post #9 of 14 (132 views)
Shortcut
You were better off than me [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't even have the glasses so all I saw was a regular commercial with blue and yellow surrounding all the dancing lizards. It was really annoying. I didn't see the flower box one, but eveyone seems to dislike it, a lot.

I don't remember the Dorritos one either. No idea how missed all these.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 4 2009, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 14 (136 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't avoid them. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed I couldn't go into a retail store without the cashier trying to give me a set of 3-D glasses. Even friends and family kept trying to give me their extras. It got kind of spooky, like one of those sci-fi movies like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" where everyone is trying to convert the one guy who isn't infected/mind-controlled.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 4 2009, 4:41pm

Post #11 of 14 (121 views)
Shortcut
"They Live", perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

It got kind of spooky, like one of those sci-fi movies like Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

I've never seen They Live, but I read a discussion of it in a film history book -- possibly that by Kristin Thompson and David Bordwell. Apparently the presence of aliens is revealed by wearing a certain kind of glasses.

Your comment brings to mind another Superbowl ad: the Alec Baldwin commercial for the web-TV service, which dares the viewer to doubt that television is run by aliens who wish to lower our intelligence.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 2-8 for The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 4 2009, 5:09pm

Post #12 of 14 (122 views)
Shortcut
That too [In reply to] Can't Post

They Live has a line often voted the most popular of all time (at least by males in the 18-25 age bracket):

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum."

I note the supposedly original story from the 1960s was written by Ray Nelson, inventor of the propeller beanie.

I say "supposedly" because I remember a similar story written in the 1930s whose title I forget.

Anorien
Rohan

Feb 5 2009, 5:19am

Post #13 of 14 (111 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

The cashiers I encountered didn't care, they were just glad that we were buying food.

I like your allusion, very funny!

Morthoron
Gondor

Feb 5 2009, 10:21am

Post #14 of 14 (161 views)
Shortcut
The Hulu commercial... [In reply to] Can't Post

Alec Baldwin as an alien talking about turning your mind to mush and scooping it out like melon balls was a hoot.

Read the ongoing serialization of MONTY PYTHON'S 'The HOBBIT', found here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/...y_Pythons_The_Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.