Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The Frodo Franchise and its planned sequel
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 1 2009, 8:36pm

Post #1 of 78 (1119 views)
Shortcut
The Frodo Franchise and its planned sequel Can't Post

Kristin Thompson, who has been a silent member here for quite a while, has very graciously offered to discuss 'The Frodo Franchise' with us and to talk with us about a second book she wants to write about 'The Hobbit' Smile. You can see the original post here. As the original thread already has fallen from the page, I'm starting a new thread for it.

Thank you so much, Kristin, for indulging your fans! It must have been an amazing experience to talk to all the people you interviewed for 'The Frodo Franchise', and I look forward to hearing more about it. Not to mention your ideas about 'Team Hobbit'!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Feb 1 2009, 9:15pm

Post #2 of 78 (660 views)
Shortcut
Here and ready to discuss [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Peredhil lover, for starting this thread!

As for The Frodo Franchise, I'll try to answer any questions about it. It was indeed an amazing experience, not just interviewing the filmmakers but also seeing the production facilities and occasionally getting a glimpse of the work on The Return of the King. Not to mention living in Wellington, which is a pretty neat place, for several weeks.

To give an example of something that didn't get into the book. During my first week in Wellington, I met Peter Doyle. I talk about him in Chapter 9 of my book as the digital color grader for LOTR. (I blogged about his work here, and there's a supplement on the subject on the extended FotR set.) I should have interviewed him, but I didn't know enough about digital color grading to know what to ask. It was, after all, a new technology at that point, even though it's very widely used now. Instead, I just asked for a tour of The Post House facility and a demo of how the grading was done.

Peter was very generous with his time, sitting down with me at a computer and showing me how the grading on a couple of shots had been done: a close-up of Denethor and the extreme long shot of Gandalf's cart and the hobbits on their ponies going to the Grey Havens. It's a beautiful process to watch, and it was a real privilege to learn about it from the man who helped invent it. But while we were sitting there, Peter said something like, "Oh, there's the last shot." I looked over at the monitor of the computer station next to us, and sure enough, there was a track-in to a round door with a yellow handle swinging shut.

At that time, there was a lot of online speculation about how the film would end, but of course, after gaining all these people's trust, I was hardly going to put a blatant spoiler like that anywhere!

As to "Team Hobbit," the working title of the book project I hope to launch for the upcoming film, I'm working up the proposal now. As I said on the other thread, it's not about the franchise, as the previous book was. I don't think it would be interesting to go over the same ground, either for me or for you. Instead, I'm hoping to focus on learning how teams of filmmakers work together in a digital, global age. I'm particularly interested in things like how pre-visualizations are made and used to communicate among the filmmakers, how digital and hand-made elements of the film mesh in the production process, things like that.

One thing I'd like to have is input from anyone who is interested. Most of you have seen the supplements and read interviews and know quite a bit about how LOTR was made. Maybe you have ideas about phase of the process that you'd like to know more about, or people whose work you'd want me to investigate. Of course, I'd have to pick and choose among suggestions. IF this project gets off the ground, I'll also be constrained simply by what's feasible. For instance, I'd love to follow one or more conceptual drawings by Alan Lee or John Howe as it gets passed around and translated by various people into physical designs, digital ones, special effects, Bigatures--whatever elements those drawings influence. But maybe that's just not practical. Right now what I'm doing is trying to come up with a description and table of contents for what I would ideally like to do. If I get cooperation from the filmmakers, I'm sure I'll need to adjust my aims to make them feasible.

For now, though, let the discussion begin!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 1 2009, 11:15pm

Post #3 of 78 (571 views)
Shortcut
What a great idea Pered, [In reply to] Can't Post

and thank you for being willing to take part Kristin!

It'll be interesting to see the type of questions that people post - but I have one to kick off with: Out of all the mountains of information that has been circulated about the making of these films Kristin, is there any element that you think was vital to the films' creation but which hasn't had much (if any) attention paid to it?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 2 2009, 3:20am

Post #4 of 78 (524 views)
Shortcut
Wow, this is going to be good! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 2 2009, 3:31am

Post #5 of 78 (540 views)
Shortcut
Some thoughts. [In reply to] Can't Post

First off I want to say thank you for The Frodo Franchise. I have enjoyed it so much!

That is such a cool story about how you got to see the last shot of LOTR. It’s terrific that they had so much trust in you. Some people (like you) have such great occupations.

Something that I have brought up a time or two (usually when trying to convince someone to read The Frodo Franchise) is the title of the book. What the term franchise meant to me was just merchandising, but when I read your book I was delighted at the range of topics covered and my concept of franchise was greatly broadened. Now that I have read the book it seems like the perfect title, but I worry that some people might be put off by it who would really like the book if they read it. I was wondering what your thoughts are about that.

I have something for “Team Hobbit.” This is probably not applicable or even practical, but I consider this “brainstorming” so I will throw it out there anyway. When my wife and I first watched the extended extras and we would see the different artists and technicians, we would ask each other, “How did that person end up there?” Not just how that person came to work on that movie, but also that person’s career path. How did that person come to be a makeup artist or a digital animator? Just a thought.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Feb 2 2009, 3:43am

Post #6 of 78 (547 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

Something that I have brought up a time or two (usually when trying to convince someone to read The Frodo Franchise) is the title of the book. What the term franchise meant to me was just merchandising, but when I read your book I was delighted at the range of topics covered and my concept of franchise was greatly broadened. Now that I have read the book it seems like the perfect title, but I worry that some people might be put off by it who would really like the book if they read it.

That's why I'd never bothered to read it Blush PL's been re-educating me.

Thanks for bringing it up Ohiohob Evil

*hugs*
Kel x

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyčna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 2 2009, 4:33am

Post #7 of 78 (595 views)
Shortcut
what I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that Weta has a tremendous amount of creative talent attached to it and there were others brought in like Alan Lee, John Howe and Daniel Reeve.

Who did what is typically described as graphic design? Who was responsible for creating the concept of the DVD packages, the backgrounds shown during interviews on the DVD extras, the menus for the DVDs... that sort of thing? Did all that fall into the department of someone at Weta... someone who was primarily doing film work? Or was any of it done by NewLine? Or was there actually a graphic designer working alongside the film people and following the look created by them? And it's not just the DVDs, it's all the merchandise that went along with it from ToyBiz figures to valentines. It all looked consistent which meant either a primary group was responsible for the design or that certain resources were shared.

I fell in love with this stuff and would have wondered anyhow but being a (fairly newbie) graphic designer spurs the curiosity even further.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 2 2009, 6:07am

Post #8 of 78 (521 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't really my idea [In reply to] Can't Post

to talk about the book, but I am happy that we got this chance to talk about it again, and with Kristin herself no less! Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 2 2009, 6:15am

Post #9 of 78 (551 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this Ms.Thompson... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I've wondered much about a lot of things while watching the documentaries and making-ofs, and while it may not come under the umbrella of what would be feasible to discuss, I'm just gonna lay it out since I've got the opportunity.

One thing that ran across my mind when I watched the design documentaries was "Where's all this stuff now?" Alan Lee said that he and John Howe sketched for about 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Their workshop had papers and papers of sketches and doodles and designs lying about. I wondered where all those things are now. Why can't the artists (maybe not just John Howe and Alan Lee... but others who worked with them... matte painters etc.) put out a book with all that art. In fact, a better question would be, "Who holds the copyrights to these works?" Are they property of the artists, of Weta, or of New Line? If New Line ceases to exist, do the rights fall back to Warner? The same question goes for much other content that created for the films: costumes, tapestries, props. Who owns them? Why can't they be showcased to wider audiences (like the Weta Cave... but dedicated to LOTR)?

I haven't yet been able to get The Frodo Franchise since its not available in India, and I've had much trouble in the past ordering books and stuff from overseas, so I've very reluctantly put that on "reading-hold" for the foreseeable future. But I've frequented your blog, and if that's a taste of what's in the book, it surely must be an awesome read. So thanks for offering to join the discussion here. It would be a great way for me to experience the book without having it (if that's not too audacious Blush).

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 2 2009, 6:17am

Post #10 of 78 (531 views)
Shortcut
Me, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I already said in my review back in spring, at first I thought it's only about merchandising, too, and then was really surprised about all the different topics the book covered. Never had realised 'Franchise' is including so many things.
It's weird - the title of the book made me hesitate to read it at first, but after I had been reading it, I realised how fitting it was in truth. Only I had not known enough - but of course, I am usually not really interested in films, so I thought it's just my own lack of knowledge.

Well, the working title for the next book sounds good to me - I doubt there could be any similar misunderstandings!

Already started a speed-rereading to refresh my memory Smile

(This post was edited by Peredhil lover on Feb 2 2009, 6:18am)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 2 2009, 6:24am

Post #11 of 78 (536 views)
Shortcut
Daniel Reeve [In reply to] Can't Post

explained some time ago that they had the license to only a certain number of tie-in books to the movies, and this number has been published, so there weren't any more books allowed. Otherwise he might have published his LotR work Frown

That's really bad that you can't get the book over there, it's really worth reading!

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 2 2009, 3:09pm

Post #12 of 78 (506 views)
Shortcut
thanks for taking up the banner on this one... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing that discussions of The Frodo Franchise would fit here, and anything on the Hobbit book would belong on the Hobbit Board?

But you guys have probably thought of that already!

I've been away with RL stuff, but would be glad to help organize, figure out the right way to approach both topics, etc. Let me know what I can do to support these types of discussions!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 2 2009, 3:17pm

Post #13 of 78 (529 views)
Shortcut
thanks for letting us know of your plans and interest! [In reply to] Can't Post

This group is a great sounding board, so I'd encourage you to stop by with questions or requests for feedback as often as you like, here, or on the Hobbit Movie Board.

Your Frodo Franchise book has been touched upon in many discussions, but there's much much more we could talk about, and I know many here would really enjoy hearing more of your personal experiences and insights etc. from the process of doing the book. So anything you want to explore further or just share with us would be most welcome to discuss around here!

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for what you've contributed to the whole experience of making and enjoying the LOTR films and the conversations we are still having about them here on TORn!

Weaver

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Feb 2 2009, 4:05pm

Post #14 of 78 (526 views)
Shortcut
Creative subsidies [In reply to] Can't Post

You're quite welcome. I'm delighted that you're all interested!

I've been thinking about your question, Ataahua. Naturally if something was vital I tried to cover it in the book. There's only one thing I can think of, and it's pretty dull. Tax subsidies. There was quite a controversy in New Zealand about the fact that tax breaks for filmmaking in the country were extended to a big Hollywood blockbuster like LOTR. I refer very briefly to this as "a controversial tax scheme" on p. 317 of The Frodo Franchise. I tried to find out precisely what this was but never succeeded. Basically a large sum of money, in the hundreds of millions of New Zealand dollars, went to the trilogy, and a lot of people weren't convinced that the benefits were worth it. The tax "loophole" was closed as a result, though as a result of LOTR, different tax incentives were put in place for films like The Last Samurai and The Chronicles of Narnia. But the details are elusive, and most coverage just estimates how much money went to the making of the trilogy. I just didn't feel I could find out enough about the topic to discuss it in the book.

The controversy mainly happened before it became clear that Peter's building up of filmmaking infrastructure in "Wellywood" would actually make New Zealand a long-term magnet for foreign production. I suspect that now people realize that he didn't just make a big film. He also built an industry for a country that now prides itself on its creativity in various areas of arts and design, not just film.

There's a fairly decent article on the tax controversy on the New Zealand Herald's site. It's as good an account as I've seen, though it's still pretty vague. Anyway, what is clear is that those tax subsidies were a big part of the attraction for New Line. I talk in the book about the many ways the studio benefited from making the trilogy in New Zealand. That's another one, and I wish someone in New Zealand who understands business practices could get access to the relevant data and write up an account of what really happened. (BTW, the sums mentioned in the article are in New Zealand dollars. Ignore the comments about how much money New Line would have made on the film. "Grosses" don't come back to studios, especially since New Line had sold off its foreign distribution rights to the trilogy to companies abroad.)

If I think of anything else, I'll post that.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Feb 2 2009, 4:26pm

Post #15 of 78 (533 views)
Shortcut
The book's title, and other matters [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, OhioHobbit!

Yes, the whole experience of being in New Zealand to do research was exciting, enlightening--and definitely cool. It took me about eight months to get permission to go to Wellington, and once that happened, I had only four weeks before the actual trip. That was spent in booking a hotel, buying a fancy digital audio recorder and a new camera, and making arrangements with the various government officials I spoke with on that first trip. Believe me, many times each day while there I would look around and think things like, "I'm sitting in the Three Foot Six lobby. How the heck did I get here?"

As always, I must give Barrie Osborne enormous credit for having decided, on the basis of assurances from a mutual friend, to trust me. That really was the key, and from the start he opened doors. Everyone I interviewed was completely welcoming and helpful, in true Kiwi fashion.

I must say, I hadn't thought about the book's title being misleading until I saw a number of people mention it in TORN forums. Originally my working title was Fantasy, Franchises, and Frodo, which I thought indicated a little more of the contents' range. The press didn't like that, and I had to admit that it doesn' have much ring, as it were, to it. They suggested The Frodo Franchise, which is easier to remember and say. It didn't occur to me that "franchise" might convey an inaccurate sense of what the book was really about. So I'm grateful to you and all who assure friends that it's really about the whole LOTR film phenomenon. (That's probably what I should have called it: The Frodo Phenomenon.) On the other hand, I think Team Hobbit, if I stick with that, would be a pretty good description of what I hope to accomplish if this project gets off the ground.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I would be able to go far into the backgrounds of all the people I interview, but I could try to give at least a sketchy indication of the kind of career path that you describe. Have you read any issues of The Lord of the Rings Official Movie Magazine? That did a lot of profiles of cast and crew, including some of the people in smaller jobs that didn't get much attention elsewhere. I mention Nancy Hennah on p. 307 of TFF and how she went to school in London to learn makeup and get a job on LOTR (from issue 13). I really recommend that magazine. It was a great resource for me in researching the book, since it covered all sorts of topics that general fan mags like Empire wouldn't. If you don't have access, copies do come up fairly frequently on eBay.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 2 2009, 4:35pm

Post #16 of 78 (523 views)
Shortcut
The notion that TORN had "covered up" the subsidies question [In reply to] Can't Post

...as part of a tacit agreement by which this site could continue to receive scoops about the ongoing production, was the subject of this discussion in 2006, based on comments that Jessica Burke made in a paper at Mythcon; the idea was found to be ridiculous.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 2-8 for The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Feb 2 2009, 4:58pm

Post #17 of 78 (538 views)
Shortcut
In-house designers [In reply to] Can't Post

Often when I'd start an interview for my book, I'd say, "I'm weird, because I'm interested in all the nuts and bolts behind all this stuff." I hoped that in fact I wasn't alone in wanting to know how all the games and websites and DVD supplements and so on got the way they were. I guess there are others!

There are two halves to what you're asking about, Magpie. First, when a bunch of products connected to a film are licensed to various manufacturers, there's definitely an attempt to make all the packaging and so on consistent graphically. What's called a style book is created, with fonts or calligraphy, a range of colors, and whatever other information is relevant. Photos of the actors in costume, for example.

I talk about the style book for LOTR on pp. 194-95 of The Frodo Franchise. Basically New Line had a style book done in New York, and the filmmaking team didn't like it. Instead it was decided that designers actually working on the film should do the style book. Daniel Reeve did the calligraphy, borders, and maps for the packaging, and other designers contributed the colors and so on.Three style books were devised, dictating a muted green for use on Fellowship products, a red for Towers, and a blue for Return.

I had the privilege of seeing the style books the first day I was doing interviews in Wellington. (September 30, 2003, that was.) They are truly gorgeous little books. As I said in TFF, it's a pity they were never printed up as real books and sold to the public. I regret that I wasn't able to reproduce a page from one in the book. I would have needed permission from New Line, and although the people there never interfered with the filmmakers cooperating with me, the studio didn't itself cooperate.

The other half of the question is about the DVD supplements. I talk about the design of those on pp. 212-13. Briefly, an firm, Company Wide Shut, was commissioned to do the designs of the menus. Peter nixed the first designs, and again it was decided to do them in-house. Alex Funke shot them, Alan Lee designed them, Dan Hennah created the sets, using actual props from the film, and J. P. Leonard, from Company Wide Shut, directed. Alex, Alan, and Dan all won Oscars for LOTR, so you're dealing with a level of talent here that is unique for DVD menu design, as far as I know. The packages for the DVDs for the theatrical versions were obviously done from the posters; the ones for the extended versions, from the style books.

I should credit two of my interviewees. Alyson McRae, who was the original merchandising coordinator for the trilogy, told me about the style-book design, and Michael Pellerin, producer-director of the extended-version supplements, described the making of the menus. That's the kind of information that otherwise would never find its way into print, so I'm eternally grateful that so many people gave me the necessary information to capture what they all achieved.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 2 2009, 5:21pm

Post #18 of 78 (510 views)
Shortcut
well, I hope you caught.. [In reply to] Can't Post

that I hadn't read your book yet or I guess that would seem like a silly question. LOL.

Okay, I'm completely sold. If the recommendations of my sibs weren't enough, I'd get the book just for this one aspect.

Crass commercial question. Since I know I'm going to buy it, are there any links from this site or yours to a retailer that nets someone a few extra pennies in advertising revenue?

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Feb 2 2009, 5:46pm

Post #19 of 78 (506 views)
Shortcut
Who owns the stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sorry to hear the you've been having trouble getting the book, Earl. Thanks for the kind comments about my blog! I think some of the longer entries probably give something of a sense of the book.

Definitely thousands of hand-made concept drawings and designs were created. Again, early on my first visit, I got to see where the John Howe and Alan Lee ones were stored. My interviewee Judy Alley was at that time the merchandising coordinator (having replaced Alyson McRae, whom I mentioned in my previous reply), but she also acted as the production's archivist for drawings, the Polaroid continuity photos taken on set, and so on. They were kept in drawers in a small room in the Three Foot Six office building. That building is no longer in use by any of Peter's productions; it was just rented for the period of the LOTR production, so I don't know where the material was moved to.

Judy also gave me a tour of the Stone Street Studios, which included a warehouse where many of the furniture and props from the film were still in storage. It was huge, but it was only one of a number of such storerooms. That was another of many highlights of my first week of research, getting to see Galadriel's boat, some hobbit-hole doors, Gandalf's cart, and Theoden's gorgeous throne, along with more mundane barrels, stools, and so on. During my second visit to Wellington, in June of 2004, the LOTR stuff was being transferred to storage elsewhere to make room for the King Kong material. I have no idea where all that is now.

Basically, New Line owns everything. John and Alan were working for hire, and their drawings are the studio's property. The studio did bring out some licensed The Art of ... books that included images made by many of the artists who worked on the trilogy, as well as Alan's The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook.

There are exceptions. We all know that the actors received props or bits of costumes as presents. I suspect special permission had to be obtained for that to happen. I heard that Peter had to get special permission to keep the Bag End full-sized set, which is now installed at his country home as a guest house. I'm sure some other sorts of dispensations were given out.

I don't specifically have any information on how much material was saved for re-use on The Hobbit, but when the project was being discussed before it was settled, there were mentions of the fact that the filmmakers had a head start because some stuff already existed.

There was much talk for a while during the time I was doing research about setting up a museum of the LOTR material. Apparently the Tolkien Estate would have needed to give permission, and they withheld it. I have no idea what the legal situation is on that, but so far it doesn't look as though it's going to happen.

I assume if New Line were to be totally absorbed into Warner Bros. and cease to exist as a separate entity, all its assets would go to Warners.

Thanks for the information about the limited number of licensed books, Peredhil Lover. I'm still waiting to see whether Doug Adams' long-delayed study of Howard Shore's music is one of the licensed books. (Here's the latest on that book, saying it should be out by October. My impression is that the delays are due to the fact that this book will be a multi-media extravaganza!) No announcement on who is publishing it.

OK, I'm off to do some RL work for a while. This has been great fun! As more questions accumulate, I'll probably answer in batches. Keep 'em coming, and thanks!

hobbitlove
Gondor

Feb 2 2009, 5:55pm

Post #20 of 78 (491 views)
Shortcut
A thousand thanks! You're the best. [In reply to] Can't Post

A thousand thanks, Peredhil lover, for starting this new thread to welcome Kristin Thompson and initiate these discussion. This is an important and unique opportunity to learn, and also to continue to grow as a community (and geeky family) at tORn.

Wonderful!Shocked
hobHeart

PS: Though I'm working, and so frustrated, I can't tell you! I'll be around as much as I can. We'll all hang in there and see how this goes. It's bit overwhelming, isn't it?

Visit QTNA

hob

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Feb 2 2009, 5:57pm

Post #21 of 78 (510 views)
Shortcut
You could link through my blog [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I did catch that. Smile But obviously I'm delighted that what you've seen here intrigues you enough to make you want to read the book! I get a little commission if you link to Amazon through my blog: http://www.kristinthompson.net/blog/ There's a list of the US, Canadian, and UK sites at the upper right. Thanks!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 2 2009, 6:27pm

Post #22 of 78 (503 views)
Shortcut
To find out more about the tax situation, [In reply to] Can't Post

I suggest looking back on the New Zealand Herald (newsdesk@nzherald.co.nz, I think) or the Dominion Post (news@dompost.co.nz) stories to find the names of the journalists who wrote those articles, then contacting them directly to ask for more information. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.

Another thought is to contact directly Helen Clark (who was PM and Minister for Arts and Culture at the time, but is now a member of the Opposition following a change of government last year). She was instrumental in the creation of that tax policy, and as she's no longer PM she might well be willing to talk about one of the major initiatives during her time in office. Her email contact is here.

One thing: Helen Clark's Government was a staunch supporter of the arts, but the new National Government hasn't made any policy statements about the arts in NZ - it'll be interesting to see if anything changes under their watch, particularly with the Hobbit movie coming up.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

hobbitlove
Gondor

Feb 2 2009, 7:13pm

Post #23 of 78 (545 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Ms Thompson! And, might I add a ridiculously fannish OMG! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome to Movie Discussions - LOTR. A thousand thanks for posting here! It is an honor and a privilege to have you.

Politeness (and sangfroid) aside, may I repeat, OMG!Shocked

This is no small thing.Shocked I'm wobbly in the knees just writing this post. Tongue

You and Peredhil lover have a nice start with this thread. This is just GREAT! That you would take time to answer our questions, and with so much knowledge and insight, this is kindness itself!Smile

I loved your book! Every single page! Any fan of the trilogy (or anyone interested in movies, entertainment, gaming, etc.) should love it. Every page is worth talking about.
You say you have stories yet untold? Wonderful! We could not have hoped for such generosity as is your offer to share them with us, or as you've already shown in this thread. We are very fortunate.

You could never bore us with anything you have to say.

Allow me to recommend your website to everyone. It's great! I hope any who are not familiar with it will visit it; especially now that you are visiting us here. Wink
Thank you for your recent piece on Michael Semanick there. This was just one of many things (for which I also say thanks) that I've enjoyed at your site. I was particularly reminded of that one because of your comments about Peter Doyle. It is a joy to know more about these people, but especially to find out that they are doing well. We have come to care about all of Peter's team; our 'film friends' as one here calls them.
Peter's "Apppendice" (and many other things he did) showed us, shared with us, in a well-crafted and open (it seems) way, so much more than the usual 'making-of' kinds of things ever do. I think that's certainly what your book so clearly tells us. But, also, your book is not just a look at the phenomenal thing that these movies became, but your book is a part of that very phenomenon, a part of that sharing. Isn't it?
I can't think of anything better than a new book, a new look, by you, of the next part of the journey. We're all with you on that! I very much hope that you don't have trouble getting your new book off the ground. For so many reasons, the 'powers that be' would seem more than foolish to refuse you.

Well, with much to look back on, so much to continue to learn about, and all too much to anticipate, it's hard to know how this will go. I know it will be fun, and above all, very very interesting for everyone.

Again, many thanks for being here, Ms. Thompson. You have been just great!

Blessing to all who journey,
hobbitloveHeart

Visit QTNA

hob

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 2 2009, 7:56pm

Post #24 of 78 (487 views)
Shortcut
Just found the original post again [In reply to] Can't Post

where Daniel Reeve explained about that limit (hadn't time to search for it today morning at work); it's a copy from one of his e-mails to Elven and the whole thread worth reading, as he answered a lot of questions.

I was lucky to get to see the LotR Movie Exhibition in London and in Potsdam, so I have an idea what it must have been like to see all these props. That level of detail was simply unbelievable. I really hope they kept most of it; the thought of all these wonderful things being destroyed gives me nightmares! Oh well, I hope we will find out when the Hobbit is underway.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 2 2009, 8:09pm

Post #25 of 78 (497 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered a bit if to start the thread on LotR Movie or on Hobbit Movie, but as it seems we'll talk about both in the same posts, at least in this thread, I decided on LotR. After all, there's always the possibility of moving it, if necessary.

Thank you for wanting to help, though you have so much to do (RL can be such a bother, can't it?)! But I think at the moment you can simply enjoy, as this isn't a foreplanned discussion chapter by chapter. Of course, that's something we can do anyway later on Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.