Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... The Twilight Ringwraith Costumes?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 27 2009, 6:19am

Post #1 of 16 (5103 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... The Twilight Ringwraith Costumes? Can't Post

Wow, long time, no costume. Sorry for the long wait this month, things got away from me there. I like to think I'm just extending the life of these discussions rather than making you wait longer for the next one. Crazy

The Twilight Ringwraiths are the forms Frodo sees in the Wraith World. Are these the true forms of the old kings or just another disguise?

As you scroll through these, take a look at some of the trimming and embroidery, even some lace on the ragged costumes. Also, each costume is unique in its design. For such a quick and CGI heavy scene, the crew still thought through what these men should be wearing. I'm musing today on which is more important in a costume like this: the fabric costume/dress or the masks (or if one actually is more important).

Take a look at this next costume and at the king just to the left of center in this shot from the prologue. Their cloaks look the same to me. I don't have any pictures to prove it, but I wonder if the costumers didn't use the same designs for the kings pre and post-wraith.

AlleyCatScratch has some more pictures of these guys, but no details, sadly. The best place I've found for pictures is the EE Costume Gallery for Fellowship of the Ring.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running look at the detail in LOTR through the costumes and armor. It appears on no particular day and follows no order. You can always find past discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for January

(This post was edited by Arwen's daughter on Jan 27 2009, 6:27am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 27 2009, 6:25am

Post #2 of 16 (4066 views)
Shortcut
I do believe you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Take a look at this next costume and at the king just to the left of center in this shot from the prologue. Their cloaks look the same to me. I don't have any pictures to prove it, but I wonder if the costumers didn't use the same designs for the kings pre and post-wraith.

They do look like the same designs to me. Nice pick-up!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2009, 9:23am

Post #3 of 16 (4103 views)
Shortcut
Wow, wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how they look like old, kingly robes that have gone through years of deterioration and wear. And I definitely think that cloak was based on the one in the prologue. Wonderful catch.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2009, 12:27pm

Post #4 of 16 (3970 views)
Shortcut
I love how aged they look... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like they have been decaying for many a long year. Decayed, but yet still regal. Wonderful. Thanks AD

*Jazminatar the Brown*

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 27 2009, 3:16pm

Post #5 of 16 (3899 views)
Shortcut
No, actually, I never have, now that you mention it! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wouldn't expect anything less from this crew.

Mostly I'm just looking at the faces, especially when Wiki stabs Frodo. But I think you're right about the Prologue costume being the same as the wraith costume. Makes sense that it should be the same, or at least a degraded version of it.

But you would think Sauron could spring for some new uniforms for his henchmen. Maybe that's what the cloaks are. Sort of like that smock that WalMart employees wear over their regular clothes, in a generic one-size-fits-all.

Welcome to Mordor, may I help you?
Yes, I'm looking for Mount Doom.
Oh, you mean Orodruin, right? It's over there, next to housewares. We're running a special on Rings of Power this week.
Actually, I'm looking to return a Ring of Power.
Oh, then you'll want Customer Service, over there.
*points to mountain troll holding a clip board*
I hope you remembered your receipt.
*Gulp!*

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27 2009, 3:31pm

Post #6 of 16 (3913 views)
Shortcut
*Applause!!!* Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good catch on the costumes remaining the same. I think you're right *makes note to add to Observation List*

I know the belts look the same, too. After making one of these costumes for Halloween last year, I know those are consistent. These wraiths look even more raggedy than the black cloaks, imho.

I think these are how the wraiths appear to Frodo when he has the Ring on and is in their world, just as he can see Arwen in her Arda-esque form when he's fading into the wraith world because of his injury.

These are amazing! WELL DONE!!! *still smiling!*

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

batik
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2009, 4:08pm

Post #7 of 16 (3940 views)
Shortcut
quick comment... [In reply to] Can't Post

I see a lot of similarity between the first (top) costume and the garb of Celeborn.

annalda
The Shire

Jan 27 2009, 6:27pm

Post #8 of 16 (3872 views)
Shortcut
the ancient Kings' garb [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anyone compared the nine kings' garb (when they were entirely human- that scene where they have just received their rings) to these photos above? I wonder if the similarity between Celeborn's clothing and theirs is because Men had more to do with the Elves in former times...

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2009, 6:45pm

Post #9 of 16 (3862 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have never paid attention to these costumes without this thread, thank you! The attention to detail is absolutely amazing! However, as I look at them it brings shivers to my back. They look quite scary even out of the movie! Of course, it speaks well for the designer and the make up artist. Great job! Even the colour of their clothes complements the colour of their hands - grey-blueish. Mind blowing!

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Bright new in the New Year - January 15 on the Main board

I believe

Cegwyn
Bree

Jan 28 2009, 2:46am

Post #10 of 16 (3856 views)
Shortcut
good catch [In reply to] Can't Post

you could be right. you probably are, in fact. all I know is that right now I want one of those costumes. much cooler than the normal black-robed ringwraith imo.

You are most like Aragorn. You have strong convictions and you stick to them. Although you are more of a recluse, you are extremely loyal to the few friends that you have. You are very serious about things, but you like having fun. Fame and fortune mean little to you, and you aren't concerned with being popular. Good for you!

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 29 2009, 1:47am

Post #11 of 16 (3814 views)
Shortcut
very cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look like they were going for tattered versions of the earlier outfits, My youngest kid always thought the riders were creepier in their twilight phase, and I'm guessing a lot of the fact that something so "ethereal" got that kind of reaction out of him is how well they grounded the characters in terms of costuming, etc. Amazing what they did for such a brief shot. Thanks as always for shining a spotlight on these outfits!

Weaver

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 29 2009, 6:48am

Post #12 of 16 (3852 views)
Shortcut
The folds of cloth and the tatters on the Witch-king's robes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... remind me of Galadriel's wraith-costume. Was there an intentional resemblance there? Gimli's words somehow come to mind now: "... an Elf-witch of terrible power..."

Was her portrayal as an Elf-witch supposed to complement the Witch-king? Shocked

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jan 29 2009, 1:28pm

Post #13 of 16 (4024 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I never did. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was distracted by their faces, which somehow never looked quite right to me (just odd instead of noble and frightening). It's one of the few things in the films that bothers me.

These costumes are awesome though -- I love all the different textures.

Thanks for pointing them out.

"The wood was full of the rumour of him, dreadful tales even among beasts and birds. The Woodmen said that there was some new terror abroad, a ghost that drank blood. It climbed trees to find nests, it crept into holes to find the young, it slipped through windows to find cradles."

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 31 2009, 1:35am

Post #14 of 16 (3817 views)
Shortcut
It does look similar to Elvish clothing [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a look at the last screencap of Elrond, Celeborn and Galadriel standing at the Grey Havens ... you can see a similarity in the collar styles and the styling of the shirt front of Elrond and Celeborn, with the twilight Ringwraiths here. Good observation!

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 31 2009, 1:44am

Post #15 of 16 (3819 views)
Shortcut
"We tried to imagine the effect that astral projection in a 4-dimensional time continuum would have on the embroidery here..." [In reply to] Can't Post

hee hee. Just being a fly on the wall at one of their costume design sessions Sly.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 9 2009, 1:57pm

Post #16 of 16 (3799 views)
Shortcut
Nice Catch on Those Costumes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The Twilight Ringwraiths are the forms Frodo sees in the Wraith World. Are these the true forms of the old kings or just another disguise?

Well, the text says Frodo is seeing the Nazgul as they truely are right then, in the wraith world. Looking at ther scene, I always thought it was that way. Having not watched it in a while, I don't recall exact dialogue that follows, either proving it (with Gandalf in Rivindell or changed to Arwen or Aragorn), but I certainly don't recall any dialogue that said it was anything other than the Nazgul in the Wraith world - that I know I would not have forgotten (or any PJ bashers, lol).

Did You Ever Notice? is a running look at the detail in LOTR through the costumes and armor. It appears on no particular day and follows no order. You can always find past discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

(This post was edited by Tolkien Forever on Feb 9 2009, 2:03pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.