First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 20 2009, 2:06am

Post #76 of 91 (494 views)
Shortcut
I'm such a dunce! [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have remembered this sooner.
If any of your local grocery stores sell McCormick brand spices, look for the Gourmet Collection (the ones in the glass jars/bottles). The lavender is only available in the brand's Gourmet Collection.

A friend of mine works for McCormick and stocks their spice racks in my region...and I didn't remember seeing the lavender at the grocery stores until an hour ago. I'll never live it down!

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jan 20 2009, 2:10am)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2009, 3:07am

Post #77 of 91 (494 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very nice of you to post this! I can't recall this particular brand but then I never pay much attention when I buy spices. I'll start checking right away! Thanks a lot, I'm anxious to make this dessert Smile

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Bright new in the New Year - January 15 on the Main board

I believe

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2009, 12:16pm

Post #78 of 91 (509 views)
Shortcut
There's one thing I make well [In reply to] Can't Post

and that my poppy seed cake. I never tire of it and it takes quite a bit to make since you have to separate 4 eggs, whip the whites and fold them into the batter; add sour cream, bake in a bundt pan, etc.

I imagine it as being from the Shire since it's so yummy, warm, spongy, light tasting, and comforting. But there's a triangle-shaped lemony poppy seed cake sold at the stores that are more like a lembas seed cake-scone in texture as it is denser, more travel-worthy but still tasty. I do carry them on occasion whenever I travel or go for very long walks.

Cripes. Now I'm hungry. ;)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 20 2009, 2:24pm

Post #79 of 91 (504 views)
Shortcut
You could probably [In reply to] Can't Post

put the cornbread batter in the seven-holed pan that you have. You'd get something like cornbread muffins or scones or something. Just be sure and grease the pan well before you put the batter in.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2009, 2:56pm

Post #80 of 91 (486 views)
Shortcut
And there is orange-seed cake too :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the best intention tot ry them both but I'll make them. I found lots of recipes on the net when I Googled "seed cake", so I'm challenged now Cool

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Bright new in the New Year - January 15 on the Main board

I believe

somuchmore
Rivendell

Jan 20 2009, 3:09pm

Post #81 of 91 (507 views)
Shortcut
oh, that could be [In reply to] Can't Post

quite interesting to try out!
Many people buy the dumplings frozen now, but in earlier days every family would have their own treasured recipe, and some would include buttermilk, as in Darkstone's Southern cornbread.

About greasing the pan: when baking the dumplings you would do this anyway for every other new batch (but thanks ;-) ).
In my family it has always been something you bake while you eat/munch away Smile and children usually help out greasing, pouring and turning the dumplings. With help, of course, the pan will be very hot.

When I read Darkstones recipes, I compare with what I have available: I have a very fine, powderlike cornmeal, which we use for American pancakes -for brunch or birthday treats, and then I have just bought a more granulated kind of cornmeal.

I wiki'ed 'cornmeal', and I think the granulated cornmeal might be the whole grain cornmeal, in the Southern cornbread, and my fine cornmeal might be the degerminated cornmeal in the Yankee cornbread. Not sure, though.
I also have cornstarch, but mostly use that for sauces.

Just thinking that Tom and Goldberry could be serving thick corn-pancakes for breakfast, with heatherflavoured honey or acacia honey trickled across..uhm.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 20 2009, 5:32pm

Post #82 of 91 (515 views)
Shortcut
This northerner (by a few miles) [In reply to] Can't Post

says the degermed cornmeal used for Yankee cornbread should always be the gritty, more coarsely ground kind (or at least a blend of both kinds) and never the fine, powdery kind. Most of the "experts" agree completely, but there are some companies that sell a very light and powdery packaged cornbread mix to make at home. I wouldn't eat that kind again, but I'm finicky about my cornbread. =)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jan 20 2009, 5:40pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 20 2009, 7:07pm

Post #83 of 91 (484 views)
Shortcut
An illustration to help explain "degermed" [In reply to] Can't Post

can be found here----well, it shows which part of the corn kernel is removed, anyway. :)

P.S.
Cornmeal in the U.S.A. ----whole-grain or degermed---- comes in three textures: coarse, medium, and fine.

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jan 20 2009, 7:15pm)

somuchmore
Rivendell

Jan 20 2009, 8:18pm

Post #84 of 91 (493 views)
Shortcut
More beans: Italian flat beans or green beans with honey toast [In reply to] Can't Post

This is for a light meal or a side dish.
Fresh Italian flat beans or green beans. Around 75 grammes per person, or more, depending...Blush (addicted)
Garlic, chopped or pressed, about 1 clove per person (really!)
Instead of garlic: use 1 spring onion, or ½ an ordinary onion, salad or red onion per person
Red tomatoes, cocktail tomatoes, or yellow tomatoes, about 1-2 per person, depending on size
Feta cheese, I normally use sheep feta

Bread: any kind of white or whole meal bread that can be toasted
Acacia honey, or other kinds of flavoured honey which can be poured or spread thinly across the toast

Boil or steam green beans or Italian flat beans until tender,
arrange the beans in a flat serving dish,
chop garlic or onion and spread across the cooling beans,
slice tomatoes and distribute evenly on top of beans and onion,
crumble feta across the dish.

If you like a marinade with this, do use it, but it’s just fine without.
Leave it covered to rest for at least half an hour.

Cut bread slices in halves or broad sticks, and toast until they are dark golden and very crisp.
keep them coming freshly toasted and warm while you eat,
and pour or spread just a little bit of honey on the toast.
Wink Enjoy..

(This post was edited by somuchmore on Jan 20 2009, 8:23pm)

somuchmore
Rivendell

Jan 20 2009, 8:45pm

Post #85 of 91 (509 views)
Shortcut
and this northerner [In reply to] Can't Post

although of a European kind, will probably be finicky too with her cornbread, when she gets more practical experience with the different kinds of corn meal. Adding new words to vocabulary :-)

My starting point was near ignorance, so I'm grateful for your advice. Now I am probably what you would call: still a bit confused but on a higher level.
I think my cornmeal varieties are the medium and fine ones. It doesn't say anything about degermed or not on the packages. So it's time to get started trying out those recipes, and learn from that.
Thanks Smile

(This post was edited by somuchmore on Jan 20 2009, 8:48pm)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 20 2009, 11:12pm

Post #86 of 91 (484 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! I'm addicted to Italian cuisine! Thank you for this amazing recipe :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2009, 5:22am

Post #87 of 91 (477 views)
Shortcut
a family story [In reply to] Can't Post

When my husband's aunt was a young bride, one day her husband complained about the biscuits (rolls, not sweets). She threw one at him, he ducked, and it knocked a hole in the plaster wall!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2009, 5:49am

Post #88 of 91 (474 views)
Shortcut
you can also start sourdough from a dry envelope of ingredients [In reply to] Can't Post

widely available in San Francisco Heart and bakery stores

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2009, 6:21am

Post #89 of 91 (475 views)
Shortcut
how to stuff vine leaves (dolmades) [In reply to] Can't Post

Note: in ancient days, leaves of fig, mulberry, or hazelnut trees might be used. Since Alexander's time grape leaves have been standard.

Fresh-cut leaves: Pour a cup of boiling water over them in a bowl
Canned/Tinned leaves: Rinse brine off in cold water.

Lay leaves out stem side up and snip off stem. Put one teaspoon of filling near stem side. Fold left and right edges in toward middle (they may not meet), then roll whole 'sausage' away from you toward tip. Put in cooking dish seam side down.

Sometimes eaten just with yogurt.
Tsatziki sauce: 2 peeled and very thinly sliced cucumbers, 1 cup yogurt, 1 teaspoon each vinegar and chopped scallions and spearmint flakes; 1/2 teaspoon sugar; salt and (white) pepper to taste. Mix cucumbers in sauce and serve chilled.

Greeks also like an egg/lemon sauce but I imagine citrus fruit would not be found till south of Gondor.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2009, 11:17am

Post #90 of 91 (463 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

San Francisco would be the - ah - starter place for that kind of thing, naturally! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 23 2009, 4:00pm

Post #91 of 91 (476 views)
Shortcut
Nice to know I'm not the only one potential murderer :)) // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.