Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Children of Hurin is out and about...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10 2007, 4:15pm

Post #1 of 53 (455 views)
Shortcut
The Children of Hurin is out and about... Can't Post

And I'm not allowed to take it to read... but I snagged this from the dust jacket. I don't know if this was posted anywhere yet... so please forgive if this has already been shared.

I'm afraid I have nothing else to offer about this, but let's just say the torment of having it so close and not available for circulation until the 17th is nasty! One of our admins already has a claim on it... so I'll wait until I have my own copy to read ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

drogo
Lorien

Apr 10 2007, 6:32pm

Post #2 of 53 (199 views)
Shortcut
I'm jealous [In reply to] Can't Post

I put in an order for it with out library's jobber a while back, but I don't think it's come in yet. I will have to sneak down to the processing unit to see if it's on the shelf.

The travesty is that we, like lots of academic libraries, are going to strip off the dustjacket. I will have to rescue it!

Discuss the Bakshi Lord of the Rings on the Movie Board starting April 16

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10 2007, 6:44pm

Post #3 of 53 (197 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... that's nasty! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a browsing book, so the jacket is left on. There's a fold-out map, too. I'll betcha it's there. Ours came from the publisher yesterday. *twitch*

sample sample

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 10 2007, 8:29pm

Post #4 of 53 (178 views)
Shortcut
How frustrating! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the things I miss about working in a bookstore is that we could take books home early (before they were released).

Crazy I think i'm catching you're twitch, gramma - 1 week to go!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 10 2007, 10:10pm

Post #5 of 53 (262 views)
Shortcut
CoH has already been reviewed: "dotty but also awe-inspiring". (no spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bryan Appleyard has reviewed The Children of Húrin for The Sunday Times. (Note the responses to Appleyard, including some by Michael Drout and Verlyn Flieger; Drout responded at length here.)

But it's less a review of the new book than a broader discussion of Tolkien's merits and flaws. There are no spoilers for anyone who's read The Silmarillion, and perhaps one spoiler for those who have not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Apr. 2-8: Ted Nasmith.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Apr 10 2007, 10:29pm

Post #6 of 53 (188 views)
Shortcut
The link at the bottom... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Wordsworth poem reworked into rap song"

"Lake District tourism executives have had I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud made into a rap video starring a giant squirrel"

And it goes downhill from there.

*sobs*

'I cannot read the furry letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can.'

'One Ring to drool on them all, One Ring to heed them
One Ring to bring them all and remind them all to feed them
In the land of Kitchen where the litter lies.
'

Wynnie
Rohan

Apr 11 2007, 12:14am

Post #7 of 53 (171 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much for posting this [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Drout deserves a rousing round of applause; his response had me laughing out loud at several points.

Flight to the Ford
from LordofthePeeps.com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2007, 1:25am

Post #8 of 53 (155 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking about you [In reply to] Can't Post

and KNEW that you would mourn that little perk ;) *snigger*

sample sample

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 11 2007, 1:44am

Post #9 of 53 (173 views)
Shortcut
Drout 1, Appleyard 0. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it
boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works, or of the kinds of writing that they evidently prefer."

Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"And when Sam heard that he laughed aloud for shear delight, and he stood up and cried: 'O great glory and splendour! And all my wishes have come true!'"

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 11 2007, 3:30am

Post #10 of 53 (147 views)
Shortcut
Me too... [In reply to] Can't Post

on the thanking, applauding and laughing

Enjoy the LOTR movie soundtracks?
Why not join us for fun and discussion in
the current Movie Music Trivia Game.

SPECIAL *APRIL* EDITION OF THE GAME

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2007, 7:12am

Post #11 of 53 (142 views)
Shortcut
*Applause for Drout* indeed!... A great chap and Tolkien admirer. / [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2007, 7:15am

Post #12 of 53 (140 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see that great quote again! Pure JRRT wits!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2007, 9:47am

Post #13 of 53 (139 views)
Shortcut
*high five* POW! Right in the kisser! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2007, 9:53am

Post #14 of 53 (153 views)
Shortcut
Thank Goodness for those voices of reason [In reply to] Can't Post

like Drout who have such a knack for sifting through the... what did he say... "cra.." I love watching someone who is articulate, witty and a geek have at it when he's putting the non-believers in their place. I'm so enchanted by Tolkien's way of weaving words and creating characters, stories and environments that it staggers me when he's criticized as a writer. *shakes head* I feel sorry for them that they can't recognize magic when it smacks them in the face!

sample sample

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2007, 11:05am

Post #15 of 53 (133 views)
Shortcut
Agree totally, gramma! :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 11 2007, 1:57pm

Post #16 of 53 (134 views)
Shortcut
agreed and I always take it a bit personally [In reply to] Can't Post

To hear Tolkien essentially trashed like that - with a bit of distasteful disdain - always seems to be someone trashing what's important to me. Really important. If I place high value on something that someone else disdains then the they essential disdain my values.I think Drout called out the 'critic' in this guy well and identified it for me. This guy, and people like him, love the distance they gain by using irony or taking a standoffish superior stance from the subject. What I love about Tolkien (and the other things I value highly) is how connected it makes me feel.

Enjoy the LOTR movie soundtracks?
Why not join us for fun and discussion in
the current Movie Music Trivia Game.

SPECIAL *APRIL* EDITION OF THE GAME

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 11 2007, 1:59pm

Post #17 of 53 (161 views)
Shortcut
I think what Appleyard yearns for is some hint of topicality. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Appleyard begrudgingly likes The Children of Hurin because it reminds him of Wagner, who was using myth to make topical points about the death of the Divine. Oddly enough, I think Appleyard misinterprets both LotR and CoH, and would like the former more and the latter less if he had a firmer handle on them. LotR is far more melancholy than it appears, and CoH, to judge by what I have read in what has already been published, is far more hopeful than it appears.

None of Tolkien's writings stand for the death of the Divine, which is, I believe, why Tolkien firmly rejected any comparison between LotR and Wagner. So perhaps Appleyard wouldn't like any of Tolkien's writings if he understood that. But LotR certainly questions whether the world is getting better or steadily worse, until it reaches a nadir requiring a giant eucatastrophe to set things right.

CoH, on the other hand, is a tragedy, and as such shows us a great man facing terrible odds and losing, but only after an epic struggle to win. Furthermore Turin does have one great victory over Glaurung, a victory which nearly redeems his life, and hints at Turin's fatal flaw; in all but this one instance, he refuses to humble himself and ask for or accept help. This doesn't help Turin, but does help the rest of us; the key to victory is to ask for and accept help, as Beren and Tuor and Earendil and Frodo and Aragorn did, and as Turin rarely did. In particular that means asking for help from the Higher Powers, and acting as their servant, a hollow vessel for the Divine.

As for Drout, I think he makes the same mistake as Shippey when he insists that LotR belongs on a list of Great Literature. Drout is closer to the mark when he rejects the standards of Great Literature entirely, because that is what Tolkien did. I am impressed that Drout has apparently read Joyce, Pound, Eliot, Morrison, Rushdie, Eco, and Borges; I doubt that Tolkien did the same. Instead we know that Tolkien read two kinds of books: those that were written a very long time ago, and those that were written in his time but were considered too escapist to be considered Great Literature. Tolkien was not ashamed to be escapist but defiant about it; I sometimes think that the defenses of Shippey and Drout betray a trace of shame that these academics are so entranced by Tolkien. Shippey and Drout do not want to be considered fanboys. But Tolkien did not write LotR for academics or critics; he deliberately wrote it for a wide audience, including millions of fanboys and fangirls. And I don't see anything wrong with that, especially since he did so exceptionally well.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2007, 2:18pm

Post #18 of 53 (123 views)
Shortcut
Well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially about others trashing what I hold dear. It holds me back from sharing those few things that I cherish because I'm fearful they'd be minimized by others. It goes for Tolkien, too. I'm careful which "straights" I encourage to read or watch The Lord of the Rings. Same with conventions. I'm still not sure my sister had as much fun as she said she did ;) Kinda puts a speed-bump in the road to geekdom... but not for long ;)

sample sample

Aerin
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2007, 10:19pm

Post #19 of 53 (119 views)
Shortcut
Begrudgingly? [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the impression Appleyard just plain "liked" CoH. In fact, I had to wonder whether Appleyard might even be inspired to give LOTR another look. In reading Drout's response to this favorable review, I had to wonder how he would have reacted to an unfavorable review!

I agree with your point about Drout (and Shippey); it seems to me that Appleyard agrees, too.

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 11 2007, 10:29pm

Post #20 of 53 (127 views)
Shortcut
Appleyard does take a few swipes [In reply to] Can't Post

at Tolkien and LotR before he gets around to a generally favorable review of CoH. That's why I say begrudgingly, and I think that's why Drout reacted as he did. Flieger's reaction in the comments section was more restrained.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2007, 10:38pm

Post #21 of 53 (106 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the links [In reply to] Can't Post

I was fascinated by Appleyard's article (and it's inaccuracies- I would swear that Turin was inspired by the Finnish Kalevala, not Wagner. Turin and Kullervo are so similar to one another that you would think they were twins), and I absolutely loved the response by Drout. Thank you very much!

BTW, is it just me, or does Appleyard sound like a name of a Breelander?

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 11 2007, 10:45pm

Post #22 of 53 (106 views)
Shortcut
Hard to say. [In reply to] Can't Post

Appleyard barely reviews The Children of Húrin; I think “begrudgingly” reflects the fact that less than one of the article’s seventeen paragraphs is devoted to critical commentary of the new book, which suggests to me that Appleyard wasn’t particularly interested in it. And he does call it “dotty” book that succeeds despite its “wild mythology”.

Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Apr. 9-15: Anke-Katrin Eissmann.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 11 2007, 10:46pm

Post #23 of 53 (96 views)
Shortcut
There's an "Appledore" in Bree. / [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 11 2007, 10:51pm

Post #24 of 53 (116 views)
Shortcut
Maybe "Great Literature" has been wrongly defined? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for Drout, I think he makes the same mistake as Shippey when he insists that LotR belongs on a list of Great Literature. Drout is closer to the mark when he rejects the standards of Great Literature entirely, because that is what Tolkien did....

What is "great literature"? What does it do that Tolkien doesn't? And are those things more important than what Tolkien does, or only different?

Curious
Half-elven

Apr 11 2007, 11:23pm

Post #25 of 53 (103 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien called LotR a heroic romance. [In reply to] Can't Post

Heroic romances have been out of style since sometime shortly after Cervantes made fun of them in Don Quixote, when "novel" still meant "new." But even so Tolkien might have been better received in the 1850s than in the 1950s. The definition of great literature is a moving target, in other words.

I don't think Tolkien should be put in the pantheon of great literature until he can be both escapist and great. Too often the argument is that he isn't really escapist, and should therefore be considered great. Tolkien himself rejected that argument, and instead defended escapism. Genre literature has no trouble accepting escapism, and Tolkien had no trouble accepting genre literature. So why award him a prize he did not want? LotR is great escapism, great genre literature. It's more than a "mere thriller," to use Tolkien's words, but it is nevertheless a thriller. And until thrillers can be considered great literature, who wants to belong to that club?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.