Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien at Oxford

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jan 15 2009, 11:09pm

Post #1 of 1 (283 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien at Oxford Can't Post

I dont know whether this has been mentioned before or if I am posting on the right forum, but there are two very good podcasts which explore the relationship between Tolkien and Oxford University: http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/. They are available directly from the university website or through iTunes subscription.

The first conversation with Elizabeth Solopova of the Bodleian Library covered a lot of information about the influences of ancient languages on Tolkien's work. Much of this background information - Welsh, Finnish, Germanic languages etc - I had read before. She is the author of The Keys of Middle-Earth and has another book due out soon, again looking at Tolkien's languages.

But I found the second podcast especially interesting as it was discussing his work on the OED and his use of language as a lexographer. The authors of The Ring of Words was taking part so it was largely an exploration of their book. There were lots of quirky facts that were new to me and the last section of the book is a collection of 'word studies' looking at key words such as mathom, waybread, ent and hobbit (of course). I particularly liked their analysis of how Tolkien could use differing narrative registers to build up his world in a way that few, if any, of his imitators could emulate. Their discussion of the structure of The Council of Elrond was enthralling. I listened and immediately ordered the book. Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.