Gandalf's sexuality? McKellen's comments
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2009, 11:59am

Post #176 of 206 (6438 views)
Shortcut
Make that three. [In reply to] Can't Post

On my first reading, I didn't remember Arwen at all when she showed up for the wedding, and had to stop, go back and re-read the Rivendell chapters to find where she was mentioned before I continued on with the rest of the story. It came completely out of nowhere as far as I was concerned. I had been so focused on the action of the plot that I missed all the hints. It's definitely one of the weak points of the narrative.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2009, 12:01pm

Post #177 of 206 (6484 views)
Shortcut
It gets worse... [In reply to] Can't Post

"But at the same time he felt deeply troubled: he realized suddenly that he loved the old hobbit dearly."

"Give us that, Déagol, my love...”

"My dear and most beloved hobbits!"

"Ass! Fool! Thrice worthy and beloved Barliman!”

"Bless the old hobbit! I love him more than ever."

"A man may love you and yet not love Wormtongue or his counsels..."

"Give me Shadowfax!...already there is a bond of love between us."

"I love him. He’s like that, and sometimes it shines through, somehow. But I love him, whether or no."

"And we love them: tall men and fair women, valiant both alike, golden-haired, bright-eyed, and strong; they remind us of the youth of Men, as they were in the Elder Days."

"Filled suddenly with love for this old man, he knelt on one knee, and took his hand and kissed it."

"There go three that I love, and the smallest not the least..."

"They go only because they would not be parted from thee—because they love thee."

"‘So!’ cried Denethor. ‘Thou hadst already stolen half my son’s love.'"

"Suddenly Faramir stirred, and he opened his eyes, and he looked on Aragorn who bent over him; and a light of knowledge and love was kindled in his eyes, and he spoke softly."

"I love you, if only because of the pains you have cost me, which I shall never forget."

"Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail."

Yep, a whole lot of lovin' going on in LotR! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 15 2009, 12:22pm

Post #178 of 206 (6436 views)
Shortcut
*ROTFL* [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, I should stop playing on TORn at work - otherwise I'll have to explain why I am laughing so hard! That was great, Dernwyn!

Now we at least know why there is so much slash fanfiction out there Sly The Professor really provoked it!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 15 2009, 1:52pm

Post #179 of 206 (6453 views)
Shortcut
Turns out, [In reply to] Can't Post

they were only mostly dead.

*runs away*

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

(This post was edited by Alassëa Eruvande on Jan 15 2009, 1:56pm)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 15 2009, 2:26pm

Post #180 of 206 (6437 views)
Shortcut
There is no bad advertising [In reply to] Can't Post

It just happens to be my profession, so I dare to say it. And those who burned books made Rowling a huge favour which will become apparent in the future. Books with a story behind are always easier to sell. However, I don't think the conversation goes normally here. This is the first time I see such a jumping on TORN and it made me a very bad impression, so good luck to the participants. I still dislike Rowling and I still don't find Dumbledore to be a good role model. Nor Rowling is such a model, IMHO.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Bright new in the New Year - January 15 on the Main board

I believe

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 15 2009, 2:45pm

Post #181 of 206 (6431 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

for your thoughtful comments and response.

Our children perhaps are too young at this point to ask about why their friends(and ours) have 2 mommies or 2 daddies, but when that time comes thats when the discussions will happen.

Again thanks for sharing.

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 15 2009, 2:52pm

Post #182 of 206 (6435 views)
Shortcut
I understand that... [In reply to] Can't Post

you understand that, and JK Rowling understands that. But apparently very young children don't always understand that when talking amonst themselves about what gay means.

"You wouldn't have to get into the physical aspects of it at all."

But the Children do when they talk about it themselves -and thats where my only concern comes from.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 3:28pm

Post #183 of 206 (6430 views)
Shortcut
so I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

is your concern children talking about sex, period - or talking about gay sex in particular?

When I was 8 and this boy - I still remember his name - told us all about (hetero) sex, I thought it was gross. Because he told us our parents did it or we wouldn't be born. My parents did that? EEEEEuuuuuw! Now that is one shocking idea.

I think one can hear such things and still preserve innocency. It's when the idea becomes reality that innocence is lost. And sadly, far too many children still have sexual experience forced upon them. That is something that should never happen. I get riled up about that; I can't get riled up about someone mentioning the word "gay."

Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you love to do, in order to have what you want.-- Margaret Young

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 15 2009, 3:32pm

Post #184 of 206 (6424 views)
Shortcut
as I said before... [In reply to] Can't Post

It has more to do that it prompts perhaps too young children to talk about sex in general, the physical aspects of it (not neccessarily gay sex).

For me, its the age issue.

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 15 2009, 3:37pm

Post #185 of 206 (6427 views)
Shortcut
I am just going... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to make one last statement and then bow out of this. My whole point was the age issue, thats all.

Love and respect to all TORN Members.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2009, 3:47pm

Post #186 of 206 (6419 views)
Shortcut
Unlikely that children under 8 are reading Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

so there should be less of an issue that one male character in the story had once loved another man.

Children understand love very well and they don't discriminate about who loves whom. To them, loving a dog is the same as loving a sibling or loving their toys. They don't see one type of love as "bad", unless they hear it from someone else. That's when a parent can offer guidance. Parents can't prevent their children from hearing things from others, but they can help their children to understand what they've heard and guide the child to determine how he or she is going to react. If children continue to believe that certain types of love are bad, then they probably got their cue from the adults in their life.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 15 2009, 4:05pm

Post #187 of 206 (6417 views)
Shortcut
Advertising [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'm no expert on that, but I believe if all that ballyhoo is causing people to buy the books out of curiosity, they will soon be disappointed because they realise that is much ado about nothing and the books contain absolutely nothing save that hint in book 7. Somehow I doubt these purchases make up for all these homophobics who now will not touch the books with a ten-foot pole, let alone buy them. At least I would not buy any books I am not interested in only because of any backstory, even if other peoples do. But of course, that's my private opinion.

As for jumping, there have been other threads where discussions got much more heated, even up to being deleted because it got too personal. I am sorry that you seem to feel attacked because most people disagree with you, though it was never meant that way.

Well, I don't see Dumbledore as a very good role model, either, but that has absolutely nothing to do with his sexual orientation, but rather with his arrogance in thinking he knows everything and everything better than others and keeping too many facts from Harry. But that doesn't belong here.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 15 2009, 4:11pm

Post #188 of 206 (6419 views)
Shortcut
Just want to say [In reply to] Can't Post

that I enjoyed your posts in this thread and agree completely with you. You said it much better than I ever could.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 15 2009, 4:14pm

Post #189 of 206 (6419 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I realize this is a difficult topic, and the discussion could have been much more inflammatory. Compared to some of the previous storms over the movies when they were first released, and the storms to come when The Hobbit comes along, it was a good discussion. Thanks for your contributions, too. Smile

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 15 2009, 4:23pm

Post #190 of 206 (6412 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though the publisher at least here is still selling them as 'children's books', they are certainly no children's books any longer. One of my friends got nightmares from the end of 'Goblet of Fire', and she was a fifty-something back then!

The first two, okay, they were suitable for children, and that was where they ended up in our library. Withe the third, I already talked with the responsible colleague about it rather belonging to the yough section, but as we wanted to have them together, we let it pass. Then I read GoF in English and told him there's absolutely NO way to put that still in the children's section, so we hastily collected all copies to change the signature before the translation was published and the next run on all the books started.

And I agree about the PTSD - save from his rather erratic behaviour in 'Order of the Phoenix' Harry took everything way too easy, IMHO. And that seemed to be more adolescence than trauma.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 15 2009, 4:29pm

Post #191 of 206 (6439 views)
Shortcut
That's what I love about TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

People are quite tolerant and can discuss difficult topics without being at once at each others throats. Very nice! Particularly after I had been following a discussion about this same topic otherwhere after JKR dropped the bomb - that was really shocking and apalling.

As I missed the fun back in the old ages, I really look forward to see these storms about to come AngelicWink

And you are very welcome!

(This post was edited by Peredhil lover on Jan 15 2009, 4:29pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 8:47pm

Post #192 of 206 (6394 views)
Shortcut
I just had a thought [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what would have happened if Rowling had said "Dumbledore is celibate."

Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you love to do, in order to have what you want.-- Margaret Young

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 15 2009, 9:08pm

Post #193 of 206 (6383 views)
Shortcut
I would probably start to wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

if that is a requirement for being teacher in Hogwarts. There's decidedly a lack of spouses Laugh

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 9:15pm

Post #194 of 206 (6371 views)
Shortcut
That's where my mind went too :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 9:19pm

Post #195 of 206 (6398 views)
Shortcut
"Cigareets and whiskey and wild, wild women, [In reply to] Can't Post

They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane!"

Welcome to Valinor!

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 9:45pm

Post #196 of 206 (6386 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

"You don't have to show sex to children in order to show a gay relationship. "

When my daughter was six she asked what "gay" meant (I was going to a 30th anniversary party for some gay friends) and I told her "It's when two men or two women love each other the way your dad and I do." She said, "Oh."

Easy.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 9:51pm

Post #197 of 206 (6369 views)
Shortcut
Beautifully said, Magpie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm reminded of something I saw once, a cartoon or something, that was headed "Gay agenda" and had things on it like "Take daughter to kindergarten" and "take out the trash" and other mundane tasks.

Your point about Molly and Arthur is excellent.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 10:11pm

Post #198 of 206 (6371 views)
Shortcut
Don't disappear! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so nice to see you. And if I had my old modding powers, I'd mod up every single post you've made in this thread.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 10:21pm

Post #199 of 206 (6362 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone, you are a treasure :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 15 2009, 10:27pm

Post #200 of 206 (6362 views)
Shortcut
I have a friend who swears Aragorn married Eowyn in the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a guy who said LotR got him through his time in Vietnam; he found a copy in his locker when he was in boot camp and it kept him going. But somehow in his mind he rewrote that little detail...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.