Annael
Immortal

Jan 14 2009, 6:14pm

Post #126 of 206 (6380 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I dislike Rowling's statement because it forces things/thoughts/questions

And you think that's a bad thing?

Maybe we're not talking about different things, we just have different values. I was raised to think and question, and I am grateful for it.

Often people attempt to live their lives backwards: they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want so they will be happier. The way it actually works is the reverse. You must first be who you really are, then do what you love to do, in order to have what you want.-- Margaret Young

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 6:29pm

Post #127 of 206 (6372 views)
Shortcut
I think she delayed [In reply to] Can't Post

because the relationship between Dumbledore and Grindelwald was highly relevant to Book 7, and if she had revealed it earlier it would have spoiled the ending. Revealing that Dumbledore was gay without the accompanying information that he had been involved with Grindelwald would have been self-serving, and more in line with the observation that she deliberately altered his character to fit with current trends. So she couldn't reveal one part of his character without revealing the whole story, and revealing the whole story until after book 7 was released would have spoiled her plot.

I also think that Rowling became hypersensitive to revealing anything as she reached the end of the series. It's quite possible she could have told everyone that Dumbledore was gay earlier in the series and it would not have caused her readers to figure out book 7. But she genuinely thought that she had to keep it secret, so she chose to reveal it when she did.

I do believe that Rowling chose to tell children about Dumbledore at the time she did to make a point. I think her point was that gay people aren't that different, and her readers could get to know and love Dumbledore without knowing his preferences for men. Being gay should not change the readers' feelings for Dumbledore.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 14 2009, 6:33pm

Post #128 of 206 (6372 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien did include the text and it is part of the books - that means it depends on the readers to read it or not. Rowling didn't even imply it anywhere. She simply stated it after she was not only published (why didn't she state it after the first book was published?) but after she was a well known and successful author. That's pretty clear to me.

I certainly wondered how deep Dumbledore's relationship with Grindelwald was and what more might be there when I read the last book. Maybe not everyone did. But then again, how many first time readers didn't catch Arwen and Aragorn's relationship until Tolkien spelled it out for them at the coronation?

I suppose you're right that it's a bad example. My point was simply that this was something that was only subtly implied in the books and Rowling took an opportunity to expound a bit on her characters, imo.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for January

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 6:33pm

Post #129 of 206 (6369 views)
Shortcut
Knowing about relationships [In reply to] Can't Post

does not end childhood. Children of heterosexual parents know that their parents are in a relationship and that doesn't end their childhood.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2009, 6:37pm

Post #130 of 206 (6374 views)
Shortcut
The word "force" ... [In reply to] Can't Post

is the bad not the thinking/questioning. I don't know why and how you decided I wasn't raised to question things. All I said is I was let to ask when I was ready to. Meaning, no one/nothing forced in my mind things I would haven't understood. And that's why she didn't write it in the books. All is very clear. If she was convinced it's OK, she would have written it since her character was apparently insisting on being gay. But she didn't.

By the way what does questioning things has to do with the subject here? Yes, in the beginning we were questioning gandalf's sexuality but for the last day or two are we questioning anything? Dumbledore's sexuality is not questioned as it was clearly stated. If we are talking about kids questioning the world around, then I would stick to the good old tales which have proven to be far more helping in growing up than Harry Potter.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Bright new in the New Year - January 15 on the Main board

I believe

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 6:38pm

Post #131 of 206 (6387 views)
Shortcut
As Ufthak said earlier [In reply to] Can't Post

Gay relationships are not just about sex. Children are faced with sexual relationships every day - every married couple is in a sexual relationship (at least most of them Cool). But children don't think about the sexual part of it - they understand that married couples, or heterosexial couples who are dating are together because they love each other. There's no difference with gay relationships.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2009, 6:42pm

Post #132 of 206 (6366 views)
Shortcut
It still doesn't explain... [In reply to] Can't Post

why she never wrote it, even in book 7. Do you understand what I'm saying? A writer writes about characters. He/she doesn't save things for interviews only. Anyways, I know why she didn't write it down in series marketed toward children, no matter if they are 8 or 14 years old. And I think everyone knows it.

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Bright new in the New Year - January 15 on the Main board

I believe

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 6:52pm

Post #133 of 206 (6365 views)
Shortcut
I don't agree [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, I suspected Dumbledore was gay when I read book 7, and it wasn't that imporant to the story, although it did make his past more poignant, The story was about Harry, not Dumbledore.

It's possible the Rowling felt the same way. She has been asked about her characters a lot and given us a lot of information in interviews that wasn't in the books (Dean's parents, Percy's wife, Ginny's profession after she graduated, for example). Dumbledore's preferences were just part of the list.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2009, 6:56pm

Post #134 of 206 (6374 views)
Shortcut
Arwen and Aragorn's relationship... [In reply to] Can't Post

is very clear, I think. The book is not with me to post quotes but there are very clear signs of their relationship. I believe it was right at the beginning of the Fellowship, Rivendell as far as I can remember now. In fact, when I think of it now, I don't know even one person who was surprised they were a couple or at least no one has told me so. And also, we are not good samples - you, me. We are not children and our time for finding out about sex or gay people, or anything similar has past (I assume). We, as it was discussed above, live in a world in which sex is a very big word. Everything is or has to be somehow related to sex or sex appeal. Respectively, we look for signs of sex everywhere, even if it's subconscious. I would have probably wondered about Dumbledore/Grindelwald's relationship too if I didn't know what Rowling said before that. But my mind is not the best example of childlike thinking (or even teen thinking), unfortunately.

I believe

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 7:00pm

Post #135 of 206 (6374 views)
Shortcut
Me, for what it's worth. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In fact, when I think of it now, I don't know even one person who was surprised they were a couple or at least no one has told me so.

Her arrival to Gondor and marriage to Aragorn came completely out of the blue to me, and I wondered how on earth these two had got together. But then I also believed that Gandalf was dead at the Bridge of Khazad-dum: His return in Fangorn completely spun me about.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 14 2009, 7:01pm

Post #136 of 206 (6368 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I was raised on a farm so I knew early on about how sex worked. And because of the occasional barnyard animal who was confused about his/her own gender (yes, it does happen) I even knew about homosexuality.

However, it took moving to the big city and listening to the other kids on the junior high playground to learn how truly dirty and degrading sex was, and how absolutely terrible and demeaning homosexuality was. A real eye-opener for this poor dumb country boy.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2009, 7:01pm

Post #137 of 206 (6355 views)
Shortcut
So, it wasn't important for the story... [In reply to] Can't Post

but was important outside the story? Well, I don't buy it. Everything is more marketing than creativity from my point of view. Of course, you can further disagree, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I believe

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 14 2009, 7:03pm

Post #138 of 206 (6343 views)
Shortcut
Well, now I know one :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 7:06pm

Post #139 of 206 (6352 views)
Shortcut
I missed Eowyn as Dernhelm [In reply to] Can't Post

the first time through. I also missed the hints between Aragorn and Arwen and was surprised when they married.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 14 2009, 7:10pm

Post #140 of 206 (6365 views)
Shortcut
Me! [In reply to] Can't Post

But then again, how many first time readers didn't catch Arwen and Aragorn's relationship until Tolkien spelled it out for them at the coronation?

Towards the end I was wanting to kick Aragorn in the keister for ignoring Eowyn. Then this Arwen person showed up out nowhere and married him! If ROTK hadn't had an index I would have sworn that this was the first mention of her in the entire trilogy.

BTW, I think Jackson did a very good job keeping Arwen in the audience's collective mind. And thanks to him (and Liv Tyler) I finally don't want to give Aragorn a swift kick to the back of his pants.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 14 2009, 7:23pm

Post #141 of 206 (6357 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus by that time after all the other "deaths" I kept expecting Boromir to show up alive and well. Why was he the only member of the Fellowship who stayed dead?

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 14 2009, 7:23pm

Post #142 of 206 (6347 views)
Shortcut
But they do... [In reply to] Can't Post

"But children don't think about the sexual part of it- "

But they do, and thats my point. her statement leads directly to the type of discussions that i witnessed and gave an example of in my previous post. Whether or not someone thinks it is OK for very young children to have these types of talks about sex is up for debate i suppose. I am not sure it is-not at such a young age anyway.

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 7:38pm

Post #143 of 206 (6337 views)
Shortcut
So if they do [In reply to] Can't Post

giggle about heterosexual relationships, what's the problem? Why is that any different from giggling about homosexual relationships? It's nearly impossible for prevent children from learning about sex, but our reaction to what they learn will help them understand better.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 14 2009, 7:57pm

Post #144 of 206 (6330 views)
Shortcut
It has nothing to do... [In reply to] Can't Post

....with gigling about sex, hetero or otherwise. But the age at which children are talking about it. of course its impossible to prevent them from learning about it, but do we need to even bring it up for discussion at such an early age, thats all.

Deni
Rivendell

Jan 14 2009, 8:02pm

Post #145 of 206 (6322 views)
Shortcut
HAHA I just thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool..I could go in a little spanish-club next year on my school...
but I´m afraid I´m to busy to learn another languageCrazy

I´m sorry..I just thought you were spanish because you told something Sly about the spanish language here on TORn ,you knowCool

DeniHeart

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 8:07pm

Post #146 of 206 (6337 views)
Shortcut
Rowling didn't bring up [In reply to] Can't Post

sex. All she said was that Dumbledore was gay and he was in love with Grindelwald. No sex.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 14 2009, 8:07pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 14 2009, 8:38pm

Post #147 of 206 (6327 views)
Shortcut
as someone who used to work an elementary school lunch room... [In reply to] Can't Post

whether or not someone thinks it is OK for very young children to have these types of talks about sex is up for debate i suppose. I am not sure it is-not at such a young age anyway.

I can tell you that they are talking about all sorts of things and most of the kids I worked with never picked up a book... so we can't blame literature.

I was grateful when they asked me something they hoped would shock me with its crudity. Then I could handle the subject in a meaningful, adult responsible way.

I was happy to have a diverse group of people my kids could interact with while growing up. I think both have shown they are comfortable around all sorts of personalities and preferences. And I don't necessarily approve of all those personalities and preferences. And I think I was, along a continuum, a fairly protective mother. But I never felt that I was exposing them to 'sex' by exposing them to gay people. I wanted these people in my life and I felt no need to protect my children from them. (In fact, I often thought that some of the gay men presented exemplary role models to my children in terms of how they comported themselves in life.) There's more 'sex' being thrown around popular culture by heteros than by gays, IMO.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 14 2009, 9:28pm

Post #148 of 206 (6322 views)
Shortcut
OK... [In reply to] Can't Post

But by saying that he is gay, whether he had sex or not, is not the point. it leads young children to talk about between themselves"what is Gay" which led to physical description.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 14 2009, 9:32pm

Post #149 of 206 (6298 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would be very difficult to use the word 'gay' and not have to go there with the explanation.
As a child, my understanding was:
1) Mommies & daddies are two people who don't look, dress, or act like each other...and had a wedding and live in the same home (unless they fight too much).
2) Aunt So-and-so & What'sHisName are "friends" or they "like each other".
3) One of Daddy's friends likes to play "dress-up" sometimes.
4) " [He] doesn't like ladies."
I didn't need the kind of psycho-social commentary adults today seem compelled to make.
I didn't need to know what kind of relationships people had, or why they did what they did, just who they were. I didn't need anything beyond those simple explanations. I had no reason to ask questions.

Words like 'cross-dresser' got my attention later, and did lead to a more adult explanation than "likes to play 'dress-up''.
And some adult male not liking ladies was just the same thing to me as little boys not liking little girls...until I heard a word I didn't understand. 'Gay' (or less pleasant terms) implies something more than "friends" and "doesn't like [opposite gender]", but mostly because adults can't always separate the emotional companionship from the physical attraction in their own minds enough to keep the sexual element out of the definition they give to children. Kids pick up on the fact that there's something more to it, and if the speaker seems to have an attitude---positive or negative---about it. At least, that's what I've observed.

Semantics?

*whew!* I'm glad that I was allowed to mature a bit longer than many of today's children before hearing all the dirty details of life.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2009, 9:32pm

Post #150 of 206 (6309 views)
Shortcut
Rowling is responsible for that? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it her fault that ignorant people consider gay to be the equivalent of sex? Using that logic, I can understand why some people think the books promote witchcraft, but she's not responsible for that thinking either. Both premises are equally false.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.