squire
Half-elven

Jan 12 2009, 11:18pm

Post #76 of 206 (7007 views)
Shortcut
! [In reply to] Can't Post

?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

(This post was edited by squire on Jan 12 2009, 11:19pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 12 2009, 11:27pm

Post #77 of 206 (6999 views)
Shortcut
Here's what it looks like [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of us use this setting (threaded) to visit threads. We only click on the subject lines that are new to the conversation and that are engaged in a discussion that we are interested in (subthreads on related topics are highly popular here). As ElanorTX commented, the dot is difficult to hit with the cursor and isn't any indication as to what your post might contain.

Maybe I am not viewing the forum in the format you may be but then again that is not my issue and I will continue with the .'s Sorry if this causes a problem.

Treebeard: "This is not our war."
Merry: "But your part of this world! Aren't you?"

It seems like such a small thing on your part to place something in your subject to facilitate the large number of members on the board who use threaded. It may not be 'your' problem but you're part of a community that is larger than you. Aren't you? :-)

Sometimes I actually start my post in the subject head and then continue it in the body of the post. Sometimes I come up with an appropriate or even entertaining subject. Sometimes it's the ubiquitous 'Well....'. But even when the words don't quite indicate what's in the body of the post, the length of the word helps with the click.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

NorskGudTor
The Shire

Jan 12 2009, 11:32pm

Post #78 of 206 (7001 views)
Shortcut
Explained [In reply to] Can't Post

I see how you view it now. I do not use that view choice. I will make a better target for you to hit from now on. Thank you for explaining that instead of assuming I knew what you were talking about. The way most of you view this board is far different from most forums. I just have to adjust.

Never walk
away from home
ahead of your axe and sword.
You can not feel a battle
in your bones,
or foresee a fight.

- The Havamal

Not all tears are an evil...G

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 12 2009, 11:39pm

Post #79 of 206 (6972 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jan. 12-18 for "The Scouring of the Shire".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 12 2009, 11:40pm

Post #80 of 206 (6990 views)
Shortcut
It is a bit different here [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a holdover from the older boards that many people got used to and wanted with their new boards.

I have to say that viewing threaded has many advantages and I always recommend people give it a try to see what they think. It's easy to switch back and forth either by setting preferences or by just choosing one or the other at the top of the board list. You might still prefer flat after trying it but if you have limited time to visit, it's a great time saver as you can quickly see what is happening in the conversation and where you might want to focus your attention.

Cheers.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 12 2009, 11:42pm

Post #81 of 206 (6992 views)
Shortcut
Well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate that. Smile

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

SFTH Archive

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 13 2009, 6:36am

Post #82 of 206 (6994 views)
Shortcut
*slaps head* [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that you say it, I think I've seen that there, too, but always took it for one of these 'dictionary only' abbreviations. They have their own language sometimes. Fachchinesisch, Du weißt schon Wink

Es ist immer nett, Landsleute hier zu treffen, nicht wahr? Wir gehören hier zu einer sehr kleinen Minderheit, aber einige von den anderen können auch Deutsch.
Übrigens erinnert mich das an meine ersten Versuche vor fast 5 Jahren, Fanfiction zu kommentieren. Wenn ich heute meine ersten Reviews ansehe, sehe ich überall Fehler - aber niemand hat sich je über mich umd mein miserables Englisch lustig gemacht, und nur deswegen bin ich bei der Stange geblieben. In der Tolkien-Fandom gibt es viele nette Leute Smile

Grüße aus Nürnberg!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Milady
Rivendell

Jan 13 2009, 1:13pm

Post #83 of 206 (7053 views)
Shortcut
I think we might be looking at this the wrong way [In reply to] Can't Post

Or rather, we're trying to find answers in our own life and times. We don't actually need to analyze the Legendarium in terms of who's sleeping with whom, you know.

I've said several times to my friends that the world today is obsessed with sex. Maybe Nienna just gave good advice? Maybe they were good friends. I don't think it's necessary to assume that just because he is a male and she an unmarried female, as soon as they visit each other they're having sex.

It is true that dreams themselves are inherently sexual, so yes it is very likely that Gandalf would have an expansive knowledge of, if not the act itself, how sex and sexual attration play on the mind. You don't need experience in something to know how other people's minds react to it. I dont know if anyone is really saying that Gandalf knows nothing of sex. I prefer to believe he knows a lot about it, just doesn't choose to partake.

(Is anyone else reminded of a debate a while back over whether or not the Lay of Luthien implied that Beren and Luthien had sex in the forest the first time they met?)

Has anyone ever wondered what would have happened if Smaug had ate Bilbo, and therefore the ring? It would be interesting to see Sauron send orcs to go diving for the Ring.

sador
Half-elven

Jan 13 2009, 1:37pm

Post #84 of 206 (6984 views)
Shortcut
If you want to publicise your dad [In reply to] Can't Post

Why don't you give the link?
Here, starting on question Q.
And also on this thread.

Or do you have in mind a different discussion?

In Reply To

(Is anyone else reminded of a debate a while back over whether or not the Lay of Luthien implied that Beren and Luthien had sex in the forest the first time they met?)

"A sign of affection, possibly" - Saruman

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 13 2009, 4:23pm

Post #85 of 206 (6955 views)
Shortcut
Hi NorskGudTor [In reply to] Can't Post

I am relatively new here too and was not familiar with having to fill in a subject line, and though I thought it kind of a pain at first, I have come to see it as rather fun and useful.
Thanks for being a good sport.
Good to see another Viking.

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

Jettorex
Lorien

Jan 13 2009, 4:25pm

Post #86 of 206 (6975 views)
Shortcut
wheres.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But he was pretty popular around the Bathing Pool of Valinor during the sunny months of Lairë

They didn't call him the "Elf with the Wand" for nothing, you know. ....his staff?

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

(This post was edited by Jettorex on Jan 13 2009, 4:29pm)

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jan 13 2009, 5:31pm

Post #87 of 206 (6977 views)
Shortcut
In A Fantasy World..... [In reply to] Can't Post

issues like sexual preference, sex outside marriage, even where the characters go to the 'potty' can just magically cease to exist.......

Although Tolkien seemed to need to go to the most minute detail in these type of areas, such as 'How far & fast did the Numenoreans march'?, etc.......

However, with Tolkien's particular bent on the world, plus the times, it's really not reasonable to think that Tolkien even thought about adding Homo-sexuality or, say, Aragorn & Arwen sneaking off into the woods around Rivendell to get a little on the side before marriage.
Remember, this was before the 60's 'sexual revolution' turned 'traditional Judeo-Christian values' on their ear & landed us where we are today & the mindset our society as a whole has now on these sexual topics.
Just watch any movie from the time period when Tolkien wrote & you will clearly see how good triumps over evil every time; sex outside marriage is hinted at at best.Referrences to Homo-sexuality are very few & far between & (usually) very veiled at best, like Peter Lorre in 'The Maltese Falcon'.

You also have the issue that it does nothing for the story to get into Gandalf's sexual activities.......

In fact, it would only serve a predetermined political agenda.

......Just like JK Rowling throwing out Dumbledore's in a children's book series.

Milady
Rivendell

Jan 13 2009, 6:36pm

Post #88 of 206 (6964 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't realized he'd brought up something similar. No, I was thinking about something different, I don't remember when or where the discussion took place.

Has anyone ever wondered what would have happened if Smaug had ate Bilbo, and therefore the ring? It would be interesting to see Sauron send orcs to go diving for the Ring.

Ufthak
Rivendell

Jan 13 2009, 7:02pm

Post #89 of 206 (6973 views)
Shortcut
So... [In reply to] Can't Post

...having a homosexual main character in a children's series only serves a premeditated political agenda, but having Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, even Malfoy, for the love of Pete, all growing up, getting married and having children is... what? 'Normal'?

The more children are exposed to the reality of alternate sexual preferences (frame it as 'love' if you like, since that's probably better until a certain age), the less likely they are to react once allegedly grown up with bigotry, homophobia and general 'bash the queer' mentality.

However, in terms of what you wrote about the prevailing styles of the day, I agree that it's unlikely in the extreme that Tolkein ever intended any reading of homosexuality or sex-outside-marriage in his books. What I have queried is people saying that this was because Tolkein was a Catholic (there have been gay Catholics) and because it was the 40s (there were gay people in the 40s). Tolkein didn't write those things because of who he was, which was informed by his religion but not a direct, hard-and-fast, no-other-option consequence, and anyway it probably wouldn't have been printed even if he had considered it.

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

Deni
Rivendell

Jan 13 2009, 7:39pm

Post #90 of 206 (6946 views)
Shortcut
yes,you´re right^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

cool!-Ich rede hier auch mal auf deutsch...
Ja,das kenn ich allerdings,(wie man ja sehen kann)
my english is horrible!!! aber naja...so verbessert man sich wenigstens^^
Aber zu deinem englisch.ich finde ,du sprichst(schreibst Cool") echt gut-wusste nichtmal,dass du deutsch bist haha...
aber vielleicht sollten wir doch lieber im Englischen drin bleiben,nicht,dass einer von den andren noch beleidigt ist oder so (soweit man mich eben versteht)
"Nur nicht so hastig..."-du verstehst ja..Sly
but it´s really nice to speak with somebody in his own languageHeart

very nice greetings from Göppingen(BW)
DENI

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jan 13 2009, 8:27pm

Post #91 of 206 (6977 views)
Shortcut
Having Read Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

The first Six books anyhow, there was no mention of Dumbledore having ANY type of sexual interest or sexual preferrence, PERIOD.
My daughter informs me the 7th book doesn't either - duh he's dead. Wink

Why must there be any in a children's book?

Does a nine or ten year old ( the age my children were when reading these books to begin with) need to be exposed to sex before they are old enough to maturely handle it?

Having not brought up Dumbledore in any type of a sexual situation in the series & to now do so years later in making him suddenly Gay serves no purpose other than to push forward an agenda of 'tolerance' for homosexuality.....

One can agree or disgree with this on their own moral beliefs - I'm not debating that.

My statement is simply that saying Dumbledore is Gay serves no literary purpose at all & therefore MUST serve another purpose & agenda.

Did Rowling come out & say Snape was a Muslim or a Catholic?
A liberal or a Conservative?
Pro-Isreal or Palestinian?

Why not?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 13 2009, 8:38pm

Post #92 of 206 (6966 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Having not brought up Dumbledore in any type of a sexual situation in the series & to now do so years later in making him suddenly Gay serves no purpose other than to push forward an agenda of 'tolerance' for homosexuality.....

Dumbledore's sexuality was revealed as a clarification about his deep relationship with the wizard Grindelwald.

In Reply To
Does a nine or ten year old ( the age my children were when reading these books to begin with) need to be exposed to sex before they are old enough to maturely handle it?

I believe that you might be confusing relationships and sex here. One can exist without showing the other. You don't have to show sex to children in order to show a gay relationship.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for January

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 13 2009, 8:39pm

Post #93 of 206 (6965 views)
Shortcut
Actually, Dumbledore's previous [In reply to] Can't Post

relationship is very relevant to book seven. It's not about sex, but about the most important theme of the series: love. I agree with what Ufthak said - children don't need to learn about sex to learn that two men or two women can love each other, just like a man and woman can.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 13 2009, 8:42pm

Post #94 of 206 (6926 views)
Shortcut
Gynedalf? / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 13 2009, 8:50pm

Post #95 of 206 (6955 views)
Shortcut
There's a discussion here [In reply to] Can't Post

that I'd like to get into sometime about Rowling's theme of love being the strongest magic of all, as expressed by Dumbledore - even though Dumbledore's first experience of love (outside his family) had such devastating personal consequences. I think there's a lot to consider here - about the good and bad sides of an overwhelming emotion, control vs exuberance, and how something that can be so devastating can also be the ultimate healer.

Another time, though, I think.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Jan 13 2009, 8:54pm

Post #96 of 206 (6943 views)
Shortcut
Having Not [In reply to] Can't Post

read the Seventh book - how mant people read the first 6 & not the last one Crazy - Perhaps I am not qualified to comment fully on the subject at hand......

I do know my daughters told me Rowling was asked if Dumbledore was Gay & she responded.....

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 13 2009, 9:06pm

Post #97 of 206 (6935 views)
Shortcut
Yes - better in Off Topic [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think that would be a great discussion to have!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

squire
Half-elven

Jan 13 2009, 11:24pm

Post #98 of 206 (6942 views)
Shortcut
A! O! Yeah, Luthien, BAby! [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe this is the discussion Milady is referring to. She may have misremembered the thread because she didn't like the idea (so tastelessly but campily illustrated below) then, any more than now.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Ufthak
Rivendell

Jan 13 2009, 11:26pm

Post #99 of 206 (6959 views)
Shortcut
With regard to being 'exposed to sex' [In reply to] Can't Post

in the fairly cringeworthy 'happily ever after' ending at the very end of the seventh Potter book, Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Hermione, and Draco and... whoever he ended up with... all have kids, which is obviously due to them having heterosexual sex. And obviously all those characters were created due to heterosexual sex between their parents. If there is all that blatant evidence of hetereosexual sexual activity taking place, why is it a problem if Rowling decides to have one (just one) of her main characters having had a relationship, many years in the past and never described as sexual, just of love (it might have been purely celibate for all we know), with someone of the same sex?

For all we know, Dumbledore and Grindelwald spent their time holding hands and looking at the stars, with nothing else going on. We KNOW that Lily and James Potter, and Arthur and Molly Weasley, and Hermione's parents, and Lucius and... whatever his wife is called, and then Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Hermione, and Draco and whoever his wife ended up being (apart from Bellatrix I found all of Rowling's evil females to be remarkably unmemorable), ALL ended up doing a bit of horizontal jogging.

Please, how does Dumbledore's sexuality result in a child being exposed to sex by reading those books in a way that they weren't already going to be through the antics of the straight characters?

He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"

Ufthak
Rivendell

Jan 13 2009, 11:26pm

Post #100 of 206 (6946 views)
Shortcut
Good gravy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that Luthien: The Baywatch Years?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.