First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 11 2009, 8:42pm

Post #51 of 71 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Test [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, it worked!
I remembered I already had Firefox, followed your instructions and voila!

Thank you, thank you, thank you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 11 2009, 8:49pm

Post #52 of 71 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad we finally figured it out! SmileSmileSmile Again, many thanks to Altaira and Magpie!

Now I look forward to your mathom Wink

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 11 2009, 9:07pm

Post #53 of 71 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Well, look at you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I only made a comment or two among many other helpers, but you're welcome.

My brother has a MAC. When I get a chance, I'll visit TORN on it so I can see the differences myself. In the mean time, congrats! And, nice pony. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 11 2009, 9:12pm

Post #54 of 71 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Those are the exact same steps if you're not using a MAC [In reply to] Can't Post

CrazyLaugh

In any case, I'm glad you worked it out. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 11 2009, 9:36pm

Post #55 of 71 (1053 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now we really have to work out a picture posting guide for despairing Mac users

I'm kind of hoping that a Mac user will write one. If they need a place to put the instructions, I can host them on my website.

oops... I see you wrote one.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 11 2009, 9:37pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 11 2009, 9:48pm

Post #56 of 71 (1051 views)
Shortcut
So... Starling and PL... [In reply to] Can't Post

keeping in mind what Altaira has noticed (Those are the exact same steps if you're not using a MAC), would you take a look at the instructions on my site again. Is there anything there that does NOT work for you now that you're using Firefox? Is the solution to this issue just: "If you're on a MAC, you must use Firefox not Safari if you want to have your images hosted by TORn and you want to use Advanced Editor"?

Of course, if you only want to use Safari you could still embed an image by hosting it on a remote site and using Basic Editor.

and I think we need to change the subject line of your original post to read "I (no longer) feel like an idiot."

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 11 2009, 9:53pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 11 2009, 10:07pm

Post #57 of 71 (1045 views)
Shortcut
The Firefox solution [In reply to] Can't Post

I just looked at your picture posting instructions and Altaira is quite correct, they are exactly the same as PL's.
It really was a simple solution in the end for me - Safari was the problem. So I agree that all you need to do is add an instruction that Mac users need to be on Firefox. As soon as I changed to this, I was able to use Advanced Editor and all the icons appeared as they should.

So it actually wasn't that complicated. I never would have figured it out myself though!

Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 11 2009, 10:44pm

Post #58 of 71 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Well this has helped me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I needed a willing Mac partner to tweak instructions for Macs. Plus... I spent way more time on the instructions that you see than I had budgeted when I started. So I was content to work on the Mac component later. That's one reason why I sent people to feedback for the parts of my site that were lacking. I figured we could hash it all out here.

And now we have!

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2009, 5:31am

Post #59 of 71 (1026 views)
Shortcut
another reason to love Firefox // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 12 2009, 6:04am

Post #60 of 71 (1041 views)
Shortcut
So far [In reply to] Can't Post

I get the impression that the whole problem was that I tried to follow the instructions with Safari - what of course didn't work, because part of the toolbar simply is not there. With Firefox it worked. Maybe that's all.

But I'll keep an eye open when I post pictures again and have a closer look at your site later (I'm just at work) - if I find any differences to your instructions, I'll let you know. For now, I guess a note to Mac users that they need Firefox to follow *these* instructions would be enough.

As for the use of Safari and embedding pictures from another site, that's something I still need to figure out, but maybe I'll get that, too. For the moment I am happy that I was able to find a solution at all Smile, but when I have time, I might try to work on that, too. There HAS to be a way! And knowing how it works with Firefox could help to find a way with Safari, now that I finally understand the principle Wink

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 12 2009, 6:18am

Post #61 of 71 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The key to the problem was Magpies tip to try Firefox again (I tried that some time ago, but at that time rather halfheartedly, because I had already more or less given up after struggling with Safari for quite a while) and then your posts helped me to get the one or two details I didn't understand so far.

Good idea to try a Mac yourself - then you'll understand despairing Mac users who can't find the buttons in a non-existing toolbar Wink

Nienna
Rohan

Jan 12 2009, 8:30am

Post #62 of 71 (1029 views)
Shortcut
Midgey's gorgeous!! [In reply to] Can't Post

When we get together I'll have to show you a photo of my Sammy - a British Blue cat - I rent a room in his house!!

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 12 2009, 8:54am

Post #63 of 71 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Cats certainly rule [In reply to] Can't Post

Midgey is slowly beginning to grasp this fact.
I will look forward to seeing a photo of Sammy.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 12 2009, 9:22am

Post #64 of 71 (1033 views)
Shortcut
And now that I have advanced editor [In reply to] Can't Post

I can do this.
And this.
And even this.

Isn't life grand?Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 12 2009, 2:29pm

Post #65 of 71 (1025 views)
Shortcut
two things [In reply to] Can't Post

One... I just want to mildly point out that I did write the following at the image posting site:
My computer is a PC and I use Firefox as a browser.
If you use a Mac or another browser, your interface may look different than my screen shots below.

I couldn't really write much more because I didn't (before now) have much info that would prove useful for other browsers.

Two... posting an image from another site will mean you will delve into the world of Basic Editor and markup code. It's not that hard and that's what Daughter of Nienna has written volumes on. I linked to one of her posts elsewhere in the thread.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 12 2009, 3:22pm

Post #66 of 71 (1024 views)
Shortcut
OK [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, when I have time, I'll have a close look at your instructions again, and on these from DoN, and later on try more. Then we'll see.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 12 2009, 3:27pm

Post #67 of 71 (1022 views)
Shortcut
One step at a time [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the way I tackle it too. (I can still remember cursing our computer and denying that this 'thing' could ever be worth the trouble... lol.)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 12 2009, 3:38pm

Post #68 of 71 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Sounds familiar *lol* [In reply to] Can't Post

Computers can drive one nuts, can't they?
Well, I made the first step, and that gives me a little courage to try more when I have a bit more calmer times than at the moment. Problemsolving works better when I have enough time to take it slowly. But one of these days I'll get to the bottom of this picture posting thing!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 12 2009, 4:04pm

Post #69 of 71 (1048 views)
Shortcut
People actually *do* that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I copy & paste the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" from TinyPic/Photobucket right into the message, exactly where I want it to appear.

I'm too lazy for any extra steps like using that image icon in the toolbar when not required. =)

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2009, 6:15am

Post #70 of 71 (1017 views)
Shortcut
You know what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Us Safari users shouldn't have to switch to another browser to accomodate any particular site. I vastly prefer Safari to other Mac browsers. It's just too bad TORn is so Safari-unfriendly.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jan 29 2009, 6:20am

Post #71 of 71 (1168 views)
Shortcut
The problem isn't with your Mac. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's with sites that choose not to be compatible with your Mac (and specifically with the best and most popular Mac browser, Safari.) IMHO, that's inexcusable!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.