Gandalf's sexuality? McKellen's comments
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 9:14pm

Post #51 of 206 (6864 views)
Shortcut
It's one of the outfits [In reply to] Can't Post

deemed inappropriate by the officials at the Rugby Sevens, a competition for which spectators like to dress up. A whole group of Borats was simply too much!

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 10:50pm

Post #52 of 206 (6848 views)
Shortcut
it's sad to need Urban Dictionary to communicate! [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant that as a comment about me, myself and I, you know. It's sad when I have to look up terms when I am trying to understand what someone writing in English (apparently) is trying to say!!!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sth

Cool

a.s. (curmudgeon or not, prefers written English to text speak any day)

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you'll rest in the arms of the Savior, if sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

batik
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2009, 10:53pm

Post #53 of 206 (6844 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I can translate... [In reply to] Can't Post

sth=something, I think. And for future reference, Idk=I don't know,. Again, I think.
(Really I'm just trying to wipe that photo of out of my eyes--without resorting to bleach or hot coals Wink).

(This post was edited by batik on Jan 10 2009, 10:54pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 10:54pm

Post #54 of 206 (6843 views)
Shortcut
it's for REAL??? Oh, I am so hopelessly out of touch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Missed the whole Borat thing!

But here it is, a whole web site (watch out, the pictures are slightly more than PG13) devoted to the Mankini.

Who knew?

a.s. (thinking she liked it better, not knowing)

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

squire
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 11:22pm

Post #55 of 206 (6825 views)
Shortcut
not wujal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Omb, htf I missed dat, iono, its ult. Wuht a spinky site. So I kin vocabulate gosu jus like all Haruky I.T.s who use sth on torn.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 11:27pm

Post #56 of 206 (6803 views)
Shortcut
uh. Yeah. What you said. LOL. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 11:36pm

Post #57 of 206 (6853 views)
Shortcut
I have just realized that Deni's profile indicates [In reply to] Can't Post

she's from Germany. I think probably English isn't her first language.

Deni: I didn't know what "sth" meant without looking it up in a slang dictionary, but I would not like you to take offense at my comments!

Just avoid "text speak", if you can; if it was hard to understand for those of us who do speak English as a primary language, imagine what it's like for those who don't.

And also, it's difficult for the "mature" Tornsibs, such as, well...me.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 11:38pm

Post #58 of 206 (6809 views)
Shortcut
Hey!! Welcome to Valinor!! [In reply to] Can't Post

You were right behind me.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 11 2009, 1:08am

Post #59 of 206 (6818 views)
Shortcut
You must be thrilled [In reply to] Can't Post

to finally catch up on what you have been missing. Laugh

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 11 2009, 4:26pm

Post #60 of 206 (6816 views)
Shortcut
Gaydalf? [In reply to] Can't Post

As Gandalf was a Maia, and therefore able to assume various shapes and bodily incarnations, I would assume he was bisexual, or possibly hermaphroditic. In any case, he had a thing for hobbits. Perhaps he had a foot fetish, what with hobbits having them big, hairy feet, and you know what they say about big feet...eh? eh? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

All of this is just my 'round about way of saying...ummmm....so what? It would seem to me that McKellan was talking rather tongue in cheek, and, as other folks here have stated, Tolkien's profound Catholicity would preclude adulterous or non-monogamous sexual relations.

Read the ongoing serialization of MONTY PYTHON'S 'The HOBBIT', found here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/...y_Pythons_The_Hobbit

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 11 2009, 10:59pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 11 2009, 6:52pm

Post #61 of 206 (6794 views)
Shortcut
"thrilled" would not be the word I would use. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Aghast" might come close. Maybe there's a word that combines "aghast" with "slighly nauseated"?

You know, I like looking at male anatomy as much as any hetererosexual grown-up female member of the human species does!!

I just prefer either total nudity or some class--or, at minimum, good taste.

The Mankini just loses out, either way!!

Cool

IMHO, of course.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

squire
Half-elven

Jan 11 2009, 7:14pm

Post #62 of 206 (6793 views)
Shortcut
Choose one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nauseated: Synonyms: revolted, appalled, horror-struck, horror-stricken, dismayed, sickened, aghast, disgusted, shocked, offended, repelled, repulsed
Aghast: Synonyms: horrified, amazed, shocked, horror-struck, astonished, stunned, astounded, appalled - source: MSN Encarta, Thesaurus (Ai!)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Deni
Rivendell

Jan 11 2009, 7:27pm

Post #63 of 206 (6804 views)
Shortcut
oh XD" [In reply to] Can't Post

I´m very sorry!!yes I´m german and I know my english is very bad!!!!!!!..well, in school I´ve learned that sth is a short form for something...I thought you know that..I´m sorry!!!Blush
I´m going to improve my english^^-SORRY
DeniHeart

...shall I change it in my text??Evil*distressing*

(This post was edited by Deni on Jan 11 2009, 7:36pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11 2009, 8:28pm

Post #64 of 206 (6782 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry about it Deni. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great that you'll be more aware of avoiding txt-speak in future posts, but we don't need to edit the posts you've already made.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 11 2009, 9:11pm

Post #65 of 206 (6761 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ummm...sorry. It just seemed like the proper segue for a joke.

*Bows his head in shame, whilst secretly smirking*

Read the ongoing serialization of MONTY PYTHON'S 'The HOBBIT', found here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/...y_Pythons_The_Hobbit

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 11 2009, 9:56pm

Post #66 of 206 (6758 views)
Shortcut
Your use of English was not an issue for me [In reply to] Can't Post

It was fine. It was only that short hand term that perplexed me. And the issue with punctuation (which is like a midgewater neekerbreeker for me in terms of irritation level) transcends language. I can only imagine it's a fad among certain online communities.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 11 2009, 10:05pm

Post #67 of 206 (6753 views)
Shortcut
your English is fine, please don't apologize [In reply to] Can't Post

I admire all of you who can speak more than one language; I certainly can't beyond a few words of Spanish on a pre-school level.

STH may one day become a standard abbreviation in English, but it's not there yet! Cool Your English teacher is probably younger than me (everyone is, these days!!) and may think it is widely used, but it's not---yet.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 11 2009, 10:12pm

Post #68 of 206 (6758 views)
Shortcut
I am shocked that aghast is a synonym for nauseated! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, no, not really. See, I was just using words from the...oh, never mind.

Hey, this is fun: I quote a dictionary to you, you quote a thesaurus to me. This could go on forever.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

Ufthak
Rivendell

Jan 11 2009, 11:05pm

Post #69 of 206 (6763 views)
Shortcut
'Hmms' again [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien was a Catholic, it was the 1940's when he wrote & NONE of his noble characters were Gay or having sex outside of marriage for that matter. NO WAY. Not even debatable.

Because of course, there were no gay people in the 1940s. And there have never been any gay Catholics <:<)

I see what you're getting at, and I don't think there is any real likelihood that Tolkein intended any of his characters to be, or to be interpreted as being, gay. I'm just being difficult on this one <;<p

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12 2009, 1:11am

Post #70 of 206 (6736 views)
Shortcut
You are doing great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry about it. The best way to learn more is to share more. Please keep posting more. You're a delight :)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 12 2009, 6:23am

Post #71 of 206 (6720 views)
Shortcut
I've learned English [In reply to] Can't Post

in a German school, too, and had never seen that abbrevation, either. Seems to be rather new - maybe the teacher saw it used somewhere and thought it more common than it is.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 12 2009, 6:28am

Post #72 of 206 (6728 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry, Deni [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm German, too, and it took me forever to find the courage to register here. But in my experience, nothing helps more to improve your English than to use it on a regular basis, so simply keep reading and posting. And your English is good enough, IMHO. (((Deni)))

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Deni
Rivendell

Jan 12 2009, 4:50pm

Post #73 of 206 (6721 views)
Shortcut
all of you are so kind^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

to peredhil lover:...cool you´re one of the first persons I met here,that are also germanCool(except friends of course)

well, to this STH..
-it´s written in my english-book...as a short form for the vocabulary part..such words like:(to)tell sth and so on...

but it´s nice to hear,that at least you all are saying that my english isn´t that bad Evil

nice greetings DeniHeart

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2009, 7:34pm

Post #74 of 206 (6713 views)
Shortcut
your opinion is welcome too [In reply to] Can't Post

And I would ask as a favor to readers with vision problems, and so that any reader has some idea of what your post is about, to use more than a . in your subject line.

Personally I'm not much interested in discussing the sexual life of fictional characters, actors, or any humans not sharing such a life with me. On the other hand I don't think anyone is pushing agenda. Looking forward to more of your posts (if they're not like squire's picture). We're a family here and sometimes get silly, off-topic, or annoyed, but everyone means well.

Welcome to TORn,

ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

NorskGudTor
The Shire

Jan 12 2009, 8:39pm

Post #75 of 206 (6709 views)
Shortcut
......... hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

I put the . because I don't need a subject title for every reply I am going to make in a thread where the subject is obvious. I thought that was what the message body box is for. Maybe I am not viewing the forum in the format you may be but then again that is not my issue and I will continue with the .'s Sorry if this causes a problem.

Never walk
away from home
ahead of your axe and sword.
You can not feel a battle
in your bones,
or foresee a fight.

- The Havamal

Not all tears are an evil...G

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.