I feel like such an idiot
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 8:21am

Post #1 of 71 (1457 views)
Shortcut
I feel like such an idiot Can't Post

I cannot, for the life of me, work out how to put a photo inside a post, rather than having it appear as a separate attachment.
I have read TORn 201, and made what felt like an extensive study of Magpie's fantastic image posting guide, but I sill can't do it. Apparently I have advanced editor but it does not have the same functions shown in Magpie's guide, and I can't work out whether it's because I actually don't have advanced editor, or if it's because I have a Mac and I need different instructions.

Can anyone out there help me? I really need the most basic, step by step instructions. Blush

I would like to produce a little TORniversary mathom but at this stage it is all in the mind.
Grateful thanks in anticipation.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2009, 8:37am

Post #2 of 71 (1220 views)
Shortcut
If you have a Mac, you need different instructions [In reply to] Can't Post

You're going to have to use Basic Editor (I think...). If you're using Safari, you might try using Firefox. But otherwise, you'll have to learn some Markup or html code.

Check out this post for some help with that:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...cgi?post=20213#20213

Beyond directing you there, I can't help much. I don't use a Mac for posting on this site but others do and Daughter of Nienna has done a lot of images.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 8:49am

Post #3 of 71 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Oh good [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping it was more to do with having a Mac than being an utter idiot...
I will check out that link, thanks.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 8:53am

Post #4 of 71 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

the attempt to follow the official guidelines to picture posting has driven me crazy and left me wondering about my IQ until I found out that the problem is my Mac, not me Wink

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 9:52am

Post #5 of 71 (1241 views)
Shortcut
So [In reply to] Can't Post

have you actually figured it out?
Because I still haven't. Frown

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 2:53pm

Post #6 of 71 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Have you tried this? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if it works with a Mac or not, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Anyway, if the picture is somewhere online, all I have to do is click the "picture" icon at the top of the message box (second icon from the right) and paste in the link.

But maybe you're talking about uploading pictures, in which case I have no idea. Crazy

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2009, 3:07pm

Post #7 of 71 (1228 views)
Shortcut
I don't mean to ignore you Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I have a rep as a go-to person for this but I really don't have enough info on the MAC interface to be of much use. I do know that Daughter of Nienna and Ordinary Hobbit/Hobbit Love are all Mac users that post a lot of pictures. Maybe a PM to one of them would get their attention. I know OH/HL aren't on a lot and might not check a thread in feedback. But OH gave a lot of MAC help about resizing images a while back so I know he's ameanable to being of assistance.

I can offer this: different browsers offer different interfaces. So if you are using Safari you might consider downloading and using Firefox (or eek... IE) just to see if it lets you do things more effectively. I am an avowed Firefox user but I occassionally have to open up IE for certain websites that won't work with Firefox.

Understand that there are two ways to place a picture in a post. One is to upload it to TORn's servers. That is the attachment feature. The other is to place the image on the web (usually at an image hosting site like Photobucket or Image Shack) and link to it with a certain code. Be clear which way you want to do it when you get someone who can help.

If you want to post an image that is hosted on a Photobucket like site, I might be able to walk you through that. In that case, you switch to basic editor and use code similar to Kyriel's below or DoN's in the post I linked you to.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 6:01pm

Post #8 of 71 (1202 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

As I have posted pictures only two or three times, so far I haven't worked on that. I simply uploaded them as attachment and determined to try and find the solution later when I have more time. Maybe the main problem was that I was trying to upload pictures from my own laptop because I have nowhere to upload them online.
Sorry to be of no help.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

(This post was edited by Peredhil lover on Jan 10 2009, 6:03pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 7:33pm

Post #9 of 71 (1198 views)
Shortcut
I certainly didn't think [In reply to] Can't Post

you were ignoring me - far from it, I appreciate your input.
All I really want to know is how to take my own photo from the desktop of my computer and put it in a post. I haven't yet had cause to use photos off Photobucket or something similar, but I may need to learn how at some stage if that would solve my problem.

I don't want to get too tied up in knots about this so in the meantime I think I will just add my photos as attachments, but I may come back to haunt you if I need to try some of your suggestions.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 7:37pm

Post #10 of 71 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

that's what I've done so far - added attachments and promised myself I would learn how to add the photos to the post properly when I have more time.

If I can only do it by adding attachments then I'll just have to make sure the photos are darn good so it's worth bothering to open them! Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 7:42pm

Post #11 of 71 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Umm [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have a 'picture' icon at the top of the message box. Is that the one that looks like a little mountain? I saw that when I was swotting up on Magpie's image posting guide, and thought I was all sorted until I realised I didn't have that icon!
Thanks for the help.
I will have to reboot my brain soon, the rate I'm going. Crazy

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 7:47pm

Post #12 of 71 (1194 views)
Shortcut
I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

that photos uploaded from your computer can only be added as an attachment, not displayed within the message body's text - although I'm open to being corrected on that one.

Using Photobucket will solve your problem. The website is dead easy to use, though I find it horrendously slow on my dial-up connection.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 8:04pm

Post #13 of 71 (1168 views)
Shortcut
Aha [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like a sensible explanation to me.
Learning how to use Photobucket might be the next step.

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2009, 8:11pm

Post #14 of 71 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Nah... I didn't think you were expecting me to solve this for you [In reply to] Can't Post

I just feel badly not being able to and don't like to even give the impression that I am just abandoning or ignoring someone. It's kind of a thing for me... I can't ignore anyone except as a snub and so 'not' ignoring always means acknowledging that I can't answer. Personality quirk.

I haven't worked much with photo hosting sites but I did open a Picasa account so I could use it with my blog. If you have a lot Google stuff (gmail/blogger/iGoogle, etc...) you might look into Picasa. Just a thought.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 8:27pm

Post #15 of 71 (1183 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

Personality quirks make the world go round. Smile

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 8:34pm

Post #16 of 71 (1171 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's the mountain [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be visible to you as long as you're in "Advanced Editor" mode.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 9:08pm

Post #17 of 71 (1156 views)
Shortcut
I checked my settings [In reply to] Can't Post

and it said I was set to Advanced Editor, but I don't have those icons. I just changed it to Basic Editor to see what that looked like, and there is no difference in how both forms appear to me. Maybe it is a Mac thing?

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2009, 9:09pm

Post #18 of 71 (1164 views)
Shortcut
it depends on the browser [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be visible to you as long as you're in "Advanced Editor" mode.

I don't think it is visible in Safari. I'm not sure about either Firefox or IE for Macs. That's why it's so hard for PC users to help Mac users. You can't know what the other's interface looks like. In fact, some things will look different in IE for PC and Firefox for PC.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jan 10 2009, 9:10pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 9:17pm

Post #19 of 71 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad it's not just me!

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 11:03pm

Post #20 of 71 (1174 views)
Shortcut
no, I do that all the time [In reply to] Can't Post

I insert photos in the body of the text using Advanced Editor and the "upload attachment" thing all the time.

However, I lack understanding of Macs vs PCs and also any other computer-geekish complication.

All I do is:
  • save the picture or photo or whatever to "My Pictures" on your computer.
  • click the "browse" button below the "write post" box on Torn.
  • find the photo/pic (or, in my case, smiley) you want and choose "open" (or double-click).
  • checkmark the "inline" box (also below the "write post" box.
  • then click "upload attachment".
  • a line will appear below the "write post" box that has the attached picture.
  • now go back to your text and put your cursor where you want the picture to appear.
  • go up to the picture frame on the formatting bar (next to the chain-link thing).
  • click on that.
  • it will show you what picture(s) you uploaded.
  • chose the one you want.
  • et voila! the picture will be inline.

Using a PC and IE7, if that matters.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you'll rest in the arms of the Savior, if sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2009, 11:37pm

Post #21 of 71 (1152 views)
Shortcut
yeah but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Using a PC and IE7, if that matters.

Starling is on a Mac and it does matter. At least it matters with the browsers on a Mac. She can't follow those directions.

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 11:57pm

Post #22 of 71 (1154 views)
Shortcut
got it. I was (or thought I was) answering Ataahua's comment: [In reply to] Can't Post

that photos uploaded from your computer can only be added as an attachment, not displayed within the message body's text - although I'm open to being corrected on that one.

Maybe Ataahua meant it couldn't be done "on a Mac". I just thought she meant "at all".

So, apologies all around.

But in case anyone else is confused, if you are using a PC and IE, it is easy to do!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you'll rest in the arms of the Savior, if sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 11 2009, 12:20am

Post #23 of 71 (1152 views)
Shortcut
well... you're right on that account [In reply to] Can't Post

It is easy on a PC. ;^)

I guess I assumed Ataahua was talking about Macs since we were trying to help Starling who was on a Mac. It's amazing how quickly it all becomes confusing... isn't it?

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 11 2009, 1:04am

Post #24 of 71 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Calling all Mac users [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all of you who have tried to help me with this problem.
If anyone out there is a Mac user and knows how to upload photos, I would be very happy to hear from you (PM me if you like).

In the meantime the mathom might just have to go on hold...

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 11 2009, 2:11am

Post #25 of 71 (1167 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was 'at all', [In reply to] Can't Post

regardless of Mac or PC use. I'm glad I stood to be corrected!

And now I know what 'in line' is used for. Thanks a.s.! :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.