Gandalf's sexuality? McKellen's comments
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

squire
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 12:08am

Post #26 of 206 (7223 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about "hunky" [In reply to] Can't Post

But he was pretty popular around the Bathing Pool of Valinor during the sunny months of Lairë

They didn't call him the "Elf with the Wand" for nothing, you know.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

weaver
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 12:50am

Post #27 of 206 (7097 views)
Shortcut
you certainly have a way with photos... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if I should applaud you or hit you for this one...so I'll settle for just laughing uncontrollably for awhile!

Weaver

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 1:02am

Post #28 of 206 (7091 views)
Shortcut
Ew. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ew ew ew ew ew.

Gandalf in lime green and walk socks - who'd have thought it??

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 1:02am

Post #29 of 206 (7071 views)
Shortcut
Are we talking about Tolkien's take on Gandalf, or our own extrapolations? [In reply to] Can't Post

And are both equally valid? Sly

It seems clear to me that Tolkien had a very old-school, idealized, religiously conservative view of sexuality. I think he'd be scandalized enough by the movie hints that Aragorn and Arwen are...intimately involved...before their wedding, without considering what Gandalf might have gotten up to in all his centuries of fleshly wandering.

On the other hand, Tolkien's characters have taken on lives of their own and gone far beyond his original intentions for them. For instance, it really isn't hard at all to picture Aragorn and Arwen making love - or Frodo and Sam, for that matter. I have no problem extrapolating new stories for them, especially since the Professor isn't around any longer to be offended.

But Gandalf, he's like Dr. Who to me. Yeah, I watched a lot of the old Who in college (mostly with Tom Baker), and in my mind he just really is an asexual being. I was horrified by that TV movie they made in the '80's or '90's or whenever when he (ack!) kissed a woman! And I've never seen any of the more recent Doctors, so I still have that old, asexual image in my head. Neither the Doctor nor Gandalf has any business...doing business. But as for Frodo and Sam: have at, it, boys! Wink

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 1:03am

Post #30 of 206 (7061 views)
Shortcut
*grabs bottle of bleach, dumps directly into eyes* / [In reply to] Can't Post

/

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jan 10 2009, 1:32am

Post #31 of 206 (7140 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf is not gay.... [In reply to] Can't Post

No one in the LOTR universe is gay! Like when people say Frodo and Sam are... It ticks me offMad. Frodo is awesome and is not gay at all....

But, I have read on numerous sites that Sir Ian McKellen is gay. Which I have no problem with. As long as Gandalf isn't, hehe.

The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all Lord of the Rings merchandise.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 2:24am

Post #32 of 206 (7082 views)
Shortcut
BTW, [In reply to] Can't Post

you've responded to Kyriel's no-text post when I think you meant to respond to _V_'s originating post. (Change your view to Threaded View to see what I mean.)

When replying, be sure to click on the reply button of the post you want to respond to, and not the button of the last post in the thread.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

NorskGudTor
The Shire

Jan 10 2009, 4:00am

Post #33 of 206 (7079 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Ian is a brilliant actor and was the perfect casting for Gandalf. I also do not mind HIS sexual preference at all. HOWEVER do we really need to have discussions about Gandalfs sexuality? of being gay or straight, I mean...seriously?

Of course I am still new to this board so what do I know. I always think these kind of discussions can go off topic fairly easily and all be it messy at times.

I would hate to see a board about Tolkiens works be used to discuss agendas or politics of the left or right.

Never walk
away from home
ahead of your axe and sword.
You can not feel a battle
in your bones,
or foresee a fight.

- The Havamal

Not all tears are an evil...G

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 4:53am

Post #34 of 206 (7062 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I always think these kind of discussions can go off topic fairly easily and all be it messy at times.

...they can. But TORN's been around for a few years now and the members are used to discussing potentially delicate topics without getting personal or straying from the topic at hand. (Pun sub-threads and the occasional squire image notwithstanding...)

If you ever come across a post on TORN that you think needs looking at then you can post a query on Feedback or send a PM to an admin, but this thread is doing fine.

Ataahua's stories

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 8:26am

Post #35 of 206 (7048 views)
Shortcut
*LOL* [In reply to] Can't Post

That's priceless, squire! Thanks!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Ufthak
Rivendell

Jan 10 2009, 11:38am

Post #36 of 206 (7078 views)
Shortcut
Umm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Frodo is awesome and is not gay at all....

You might want to rephrase that so it doesn't seem that the one directly invalidates the other. Just a thought.

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 12:09pm

Post #37 of 206 (7066 views)
Shortcut
tsk tsk *wags finger* [In reply to] Can't Post

Naughty Ufthak Sly

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jan 10 2009, 12:09pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 12:23pm

Post #38 of 206 (7026 views)
Shortcut
*runs into the sunset screaming* MY EYES... MY EYES // [In reply to] Can't Post

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2009, 2:45pm

Post #39 of 206 (7070 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch your mouth, LordotRings93. Your bigotries are showing like a dirty Fruit of the Loom waistband over a pair of baggy jeans.

Ufthak
Rivendell

Jan 10 2009, 5:25pm

Post #40 of 206 (7037 views)
Shortcut
*thumbs up* [In reply to] Can't Post

*finishes laying the smacketh on newbies, disappears into the gloom for another ten months*

Awesome imagery by the way, Kyriel <;<D

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

Farawyn
Rohan

Jan 10 2009, 6:30pm

Post #41 of 206 (7030 views)
Shortcut
Re: hunky [In reply to] Can't Post

What "Hot Guys" thread did you pull that one from?

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Farawyn
Rohan

Jan 10 2009, 6:41pm

Post #42 of 206 (7043 views)
Shortcut
I like topics like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's pretty clear from OP's topic what this post is about, so if something isn't your cup of tea you don't have to click on it. There are so many other threads here on TORn for any/all Tolkien fanatics. Cool, huh?

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 8:00pm

Post #43 of 206 (7003 views)
Shortcut
Somehow this reminds me of classic Seinfeld [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, this kind of conversation:
George: "Well, that Gandalf, he is playing for the other team, y'know, he's gay."
Jerry: "Really? Noooooo!"

All together now, "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Laugh

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 8:03pm

Post #44 of 206 (7005 views)
Shortcut
nice turn of phrase there, Kyriel! Thanks, BTW. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say you'll rest in the arms of the Savior, if sinful ways you lack.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.
I think I'll just let the mystery be.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 8:10pm

Post #45 of 206 (7019 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf; Frodo and Sam; and now...Tintin, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's always speculation about seemingly unattached characters, isn't there? This guy seems to feel he has solved the puzzle (if there ever was one, I am really not too familiar with this comic hero) of Tintin's sexual nature.

Cool

a.s. (potentially upsetting aspersion in one of the Q&As at the end of the article for CS Lewis fans...forewarning).

"an seileachan"

Some say once you're gone, you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.
Some say that they're coming back in a garden: bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 8:13pm

Post #46 of 206 (6986 views)
Shortcut
And an excellent thought, well said // [In reply to] Can't Post

Deni
Rivendell

Jan 10 2009, 8:29pm

Post #47 of 206 (7074 views)
Shortcut
I think it was just a joke! [In reply to] Can't Post

nobody know sth about his wife or if he ever had children or sth like that...but is this really a reason to say gandalf is gay??I donīt think so!-maybe he had a wife,maybe he canīt get any children or maybe he even canīt love a person like a human does just because heīs a wizard-and maybe love could be a conflict,which gonna change his magical skills...I donīt know-but if he really would be gay,whatīs saruman gonna be like?..his wife is also never mentioned before,isnīt she?

well..I think this should be a kind of funny or sth like that..I donīt take it seriously XD
DeniHeart

(This post was edited by Deni on Jan 10 2009, 8:31pm)

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2009, 8:38pm

Post #48 of 206 (7032 views)
Shortcut
silneldor has competition, I see!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Er. Wait. No. That's not a guy wearing a lady's suit. That's really a...a...man's bathing suit, isn't it?? I mean, it only holds up, er, covers up strategic areas of male anatomy.

While, conversely, directing a viewer's eyes directly, er, there. You know, "there".

Or wait: is it just a super stretchable speedo with the parts meant to be on the hips stretched up over the shoulders?

Oh heavens, how painful this looks.

squire, I must go take a swig of Pepto Bismol. The suit's not the only thing looking pale green.

Thanks.

Wink

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Iris DeMent

Call Her Emily

squire
Half-elven

Jan 10 2009, 9:04pm

Post #49 of 206 (7025 views)
Shortcut
sth [In reply to] Can't Post

What does that mean?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 10 2009, 9:07pm

Post #50 of 206 (7031 views)
Shortcut
What does 'sth' mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

You seem to like that odd formatting that messes with spaces (not putting them where they're supposed to be and adding them where they're not needed). And you use 'sth' a lot. Can you translate (and consider following typography conventions) for us old folks? This is still taught in schools these days isn't it?

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.